ConsoleScape

Toad

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO...RS would really fail as a console game - this is a game designed for a MOUSE - I don't see how any controller can replace it.

BUT.. I actually think the console makers has the right idea - I don't think they're that concerned with competitor's players interacting with each other - but the huge corrupt bot army that the PC version will bring.

A clean slate, console RS sound attractive about now. I'm not saying impossible, but botting would be so much harder on a secured RS running say on an online PS3. There is no hack/jailbreak out there for the PS3 that will allow you to be online, hence, no bots directly on the console firmware.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

I think some games aren't meant to move from the computer; Runescape is one of them.

This. Runescape on Wii would be cool, but it would probably still fail.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

There is also the more fundamental issue of RuneScape having jumped the shark. The botting problem only shows nobody has the willpower to keep this patient alive for much longer. Why release an MMO on a console when it'll only last two or so years and its popularity is declining before its even been released?

There is also the more fundamental issue of RuneScape having jumped the shark. The botting problem only shows nobody has the willpower to keep this patient alive for much longer. Why release an MMO on a console when it'll only last two or so years and its popularity is declining before its even been released?

Where is this proof it's declining?

I hear this time & time again but never any proof.

People have been saying Runescape has jumped the shark and is losing popularity every single year since it came out really.

When in reality it's just people who have played for a while growing out of the game and thus becoming pessimistic about the game in general while assuming their new view is the same as the general populace.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

People have been saying Runescape has jumped the shark and is losing popularity every single year since it came out really.

When in reality it's just people who have played for a while growing out of the game and thus becoming pessimistic about the game in general while assuming their new view is the same as the general populace.

I honestly can't see any major dip in players infect when free trade was removed I personally noticed 150,000 to 170,000 people online (just what I remember) now it's more like 200,000 to 250,000.

And I strongly contest that 90% are bots personally feel it's 30-40% at most especially in percentage of paying members.

From 2007 to now, I've seen sizeable change in fansite forum activity but I put this down to Jagex's updates to knowledge base & other ingame clan/community features rather than as a sign of the games decline.

Wish I had statistics to throw about but I don't just my personal thoughts.

Edit: I noticed the mistake, infect I was trying to put an Irish twang to it, damn you autocorrect!

And I strongly contest that 90% are bots personally feel it's 30-40% at most especially in percentage of paying members.

You don't think that for every legit player bank staring, boss hunting, etc... That there are 5-10 bots at sorcerers garden, turoths, tzhaar, living rocks, dragons, yews, dungeoneering, mining, avansies? Any skill you do, and any skilling location you visit, legit players are outnumbered by at least 5-1.

09144a99bb.png

[hide=]wowab.png[/hide]

Sure, it's anecdotal, but it's not exactly the kind of stuff that changes my opinion of RuneScape as a dying game, or Jagex as a company desperately looking for a new venture whilst "milking the cow" dry. By the way, I'm enjoying RuneScape right now, so I'm not really pessimistic at all. And I've also been playing the game for five years. But carry on making excuses, you might be right.

That chart would imply (read: imply, not confirm) that RuneScape "jumped the shark" in mid-2009 at the very latest, over two years ago.

Website traffic doesn't really show anything.

So many swiftkit users etc means no website traffic.

And moist website traffic monitor thingies are inaccurate due to various opt in and opt out systems etc. etc.

And that graph doesn't even show numbers, just some arbitrary "rank" that could mean any number of things.

Plus web traffic shows little relation to play numbers, eg my mac sleeps and keeps browser open so rs is perma open producing no new web traffic statistics; yet I can still play the game.

Personally a better measure is jagex profits which keep increasing; yeah I'm sure some one will blather on about bots making them money. But bots don;t due to the money invested into trying to stop bots and the credit card fraud issues etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I did admit it was anecdotal. Short of runescape.com closing down for good you won't ever find definitive proof that RuneScape is a dying game, by which point debating over it would be academic. You'll only ever get anecdotal evidence.

But it doesn't really strengthen your viewpoint does it?

Well increasing profits and consistent player numbers and looking to seek new markets and gaining new high profile investment all are clear markers of something growing or at least sustaining itself.

Opposed to there being nothing to tangibly to suggest a downfall.

As far as tangible provable things go there's plenty to show runescape is at least sustaining, if not growing.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Web traffic does show some things though, even if its not a direct representation of falling population.

The big thing it shows is new users looking for the game.

From personal experience, I can tell you the majority of players who have played the game more than once type the name in the URL bar or bookmark it for a direct link. Only Jagex themselves would have the data of how many hits they are getting by direct link. The only way you can get that data is by going directly though Jagex's web-host. So unless they make the data public, it's impossible to gauge how well a game is preforming based on "website hits", since we cant even see all the valid data.

But if you look at Google Analytics to information (as that chart likely shows), its only telling you that fewer new players are looking for the game. (since previous players wont be searching for the words).

A smaller new player base is never healthy for a game, and is often the first sign of a "decline". But those numbers don't really mean anything. A single update (if good enough) could boost those graphs by 5000%.

Point being; take any "graphs" or website traffic with a grain of salt. They are usually not an accurate way of gauging activity.

But runescape can be found and played on various gaming sites now. Eg mini-clip.

New users don;t HAVE to come via the main website.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Well technically there's nothing 'tangible' to prove those consistent player numbers really are players (as opposed to bots), or that Jagex really aren't making profit from botting. I could point out such intangibles until the cows come home, or at least until the new quest is released later today, but it wouldn't really get us anywhere.

The bottom line is: We both have shaky 'proof'. But there is at least an insinuation that RuneScape as a product is declining in terms of popularity, and just like no punter would ever back a lame horse, no console maker would ever back a game that's desperate for the good ol' days to return. It would be far more worthy of Jagex's time to invest into console-based possibilities for Stellar Dawn, not RuneScape, since that appears to be a product that has a future ahead of it.

legit players are outnumbered by at least 5-1.

Wow so for every 400 players there are 1600 bots. (80% bot in game)

What people don't take into account is that normal players don't sit on-line for long and are spread out with different time zones, bots can be on-line 24hrs a day, certainly on-line longer than the average player. This gives the appearance that their are more bots than players, what I base my 30-40% on is if you take every single paying member account in game (even non-members), I believe it's under 30% of those accounts that bot, possibly 40% at the highest if you include f2p.

If the average player played for 5 hours & the average bot played for 15 hours that would give the appearance of a 4 to 1 ratio, that is what no one takes into account, 80% bot ratio that you think is insane surely you see that.

Also just to add on the RuneScape declining topic, according to the "community" it's been declining since, well 2001 when I started. I'm just basing my veiws on almost 10 years of the game not shutting down or "going to [cabbage]" like everyones always said. I will admit the community of RuneScape has changed, it's grown and declined over the years, at the moment the community is certainly in an uproar.

Also just to add on the RuneScape declining topic, according to the "community" it's been declining since, well 2001 when I started. I'm just basing my veiws on almost 10 years of the game not shutting down or "going to [cabbage]" like everyones always said. I will admit the community of RuneScape has changed, it's grown and declined over the years, at the moment the community is certainly in an uproar.

(I'm not even sure who I'm quoting here..)

This is just not true. RS is a small, small game from 2001-2003 compared to what it became ~2006. There is no one who can justly tell youthat the game was declining during those years. Bots got a bit overkill in 2007, but Jagex FIXED the damn problem by removing FT and the playerbase took a small hit, but the game was still growing at least til mid ~2008 ish. The playerbase has been declining very steadily since then and has NEVER really recovered.

Why the doomspeak now? Because so many of the players left have turned to the dark side. The bot to human ratio is appalling, no matter if you contend it to be 90% or 30%. You really can't find another MMO where even 30% of the online pop at any time are bots. AND on top of that, you still continue to see the declining playerbase - despite Jagex pretty much opening RS to cheating and RWT.

And all that, is very much off topic - I'm sure someone will get mad now.

But still to reiterate my on topic idea - consolescape - bad gaming mechanics but kind of bot-proof at least.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

If you don't understand what or who your quoting don't quote it, anyone can read wiki & see it came from small origins.

I was just stating that players have always doomsayered the game, the 2004 influx of mini-clip players was a time when the game grew exponatually yet people said the game degraded & would be "ruined" I am fully open to the fact more and more players are saying it this time round, but I think that's because it's a growing trend rather than because it's true.

And to say the player base is in decline right now, well it's up from 170k players since free trade/Wildy was added back the average is now more around 240k.

I don't think the number of players is in a unusual decline right now, it's normal. People will always claim it's coming to an end, always say it's gone downhill.

---

Back to console, I think they way the console makers refuse to allow interaction between consoles of competitors means it's a one console maker takes on the game or none. Apparently they are open to interaction with PC users just not competing consoles.

Could Nintendo come out in top by being the first, it could be a great moment for them to get back on top, or just be a flop, it's a rather interesting topic!

Those numbers are off.

Yesterday's update brought the population down to 70-80k after an update when before there were 180k people online. For hours the population in many worlds hovered at 300+ people. Now, if you quote the numbers from the last two weeks when it only took about roughly an hour before the population returned to 180-200k, the console build was 662 for the past three weeks. The bot programs using game IDs didn't require updating. This week they did.

During the trade limit era the numbers always popped back up very close to the original population count. And from what I remember, it was about the same number of people as now after an update: 70-80k played in the mornings.

Anyway, the game coming out for Nintendo might just reinforce the stigma Runescape can't ever seem to shake away: a newbie's stepping stone MMO with mediocre, outdated, grind-based gameplay mechanics.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats