Tip.It Times - 4th September 2011 (Jiblix Interview)

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The facts and opinions seem a bit over dramatized.

There have been plenty uproars over actions on players other then Durial and Jiblix. Does anyone remember the uproar over banning the PKer Elfmage?

Jiblix is in no way the first dissatisfied Volunteer Mod to be removed by Jagex. It's a fact of volunteering - being excessively negative and see removal. Anyone who has followed this guy's YouTube channel or social chats and sites know that this one video was not the first and only jab at Jagex.

The facts and opinions seem a bit over dramatized.

There have been plenty uproars over actions on players other then Durial and Jiblix. Does anyone remember the uproar over banning the PKer Elfmage?

Jiblix is in no way the first dissatisfied Volunteer Mod to be removed by Jagex. It's a fact of volunteering - being excessively negative and see removal. Anyone who has followed this guy's YouTube channel or social chats and sites know that this one video was not the first and only jab at Jagex.

1) Of course not. There have been many Moderators (myself included) that have been vocal against Jagex and their actions in the past. It's what happened and how this whole thing blew up (Streisand Effect) that made Jiblix [in]famous for this, depending on your point of view.

2) The number of videos he's made and the content he's put with them have been virtually the same, in regards to the botting ones. The only difference was that this one touched on the Golden Joystick Awards, and that set someone off in power.

---

With that out of the way...

It's been an interesting week for articles. The first article touched on Farming, which at the time was so negatively received that the results from an opinion poll were removed from the site, does post an interesting point with the skill. It's not feature-complete, and there's more that could be done with the skill than what's currently being done now. I do have to wonder though, if the break-of-pace style that Farming offers means that higher-end allotments or more exciting things would be marred by the raw time it takes to level the skill (since, depending on how you train it, the time it takes to level is 1/n * time for growth, for any n allotments used).

The second article - interviews are always interesting. It's somewhat truthful that you have to "tow the company line" when you're in that role, even though you're not getting paid by them. I could never view my role there as anything more than a volunteer, as I had my own life and obligations to attend to.

Doing away with the entire role? Well, I can't say I disagree. Player Moderators are nothing better than figureheads with mute buttons, and God help you if they use that too much. Forum Moderators are more in need since the forums are so active, but truth be told, JMod presence in the forums would only help, and hiring more to handle the forums on a daily basis would be a wise move.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

this is regarding the interview.

I was wondering for the longest time what all that commotion was over the de modding... now that i have sen the video i can see why they did it (i don't agree with it i just can understand why someone (something?) such as jagex would do it)

I personally believe this "new" jagex is a direct result of the primary founders in jagex (paul, ian, andrew, ect) selling off their stock. Andrew sold ALL of his and started a new company called fen research, the others sold most (they each have less than 5% stock now). at this point in time jagex is about 90% owned by 3rd party investors... so yes at this point it is all about making money because that's what the investors want, not only do they happen to be providing the funding, but they pretty much own the company now. Andrew is still an employee of jagex but he stepped down from the board when he sold his shares as of june'ish last year.

i found the news here:

http://www.stellardawncentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18251

it's scary, for those who may just want to know who owns what right now... here's a graph:

sdcjagexfenownership.png

you see how the changes in the game reflect the ownership changes... back when Andrew held the most stock... the game was ok... but then right around the time he sold it is when the game went down hill...

dj_phox.png

So Phox... A statement to make would be for all of us to simply stop subscription for a month or 2, and voila :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

So Phox... A statement to make would be for all of us to simply stop subscription for a month or 2, and voila :)

Sadly I don't think that would work because they still have a steady supply of rwt who have no issues at all with the new jagex... makes ya wonder if any of those investors happen to own a rwt company or two...

dj_phox.png

Shame no one really had any questions to ask when we went to visit, except for that one fansite guy with pages filled with questions ;)!

LOL DarkDude. :-w

Great interview. :]

Everyone else pretty much sat there asking nothing during the multiple chances we got to talk about stuff, there were a few people who asked some questions but most of them said nothing so I thought I'd use the chance :P.

Just a shame the interviews and stuff were all NDA'd, some interesting stuff came out of those conversations. Another 2 years until the NDA is lifted though! :thumbsup:

Shame no one really had any questions to ask when we went to visit, except for that one fansite guy with pages filled with questions ;)!

LOL DarkDude. :-w

Great interview. :]

I'm glad someone caught that ;)

so what happens if stuff discussed in that interview still are not released after the 2 years is up... you get to spill the beans on future updates without possibility of legal action being taken on you?

dj_phox.png

so what happens if stuff discussed in that interview still are not released after the 2 years is up... you get to spill the beans on future updates without possibility of legal action being taken on you?

Correct. Someone there recorded the interview although has been unable to release it for obvious reasons so maybe he'll be able to release that too then, would be interesting to see. A lot of things have changed between now and then though and it's amazing to see how much difference a year has made to the game overall and for the most part for the negative, I couldn't actually believe it's only been a year since I went to Jagex and how different the game was back then. Hopefully this time next year we can all be here discussing an interview with a player who's been praised by Jagex for something positive about how great the last year has been, although that's probably wishing for too much.

It's interesting that Jiblix has yet to discuss publicly the first video he posted about the Golden Joystick Awards, which was entitled "Don't Vote for Jagex". He ranted that the F2P game was unplayable. After about 70 responses, in which some questioned whether he was concerned about losing the modship, he then publishes the current, sanitised version "Is this the good deal?"

Despite his attempts to clean up, he forgot about the Comments page to the initial video. This page remained for a good few days, until he took it down.

You want to start cutting down on bots, then cut into what they do: make the game less tedious. Since it's clear Jagex is edging closer to all out real world trading anyway.

I want to see a P2P feature where you can put your character to sleep when you log out and it gains experience in a skill of your choice at a high rate while you're offline. The downside's obviously no loot or gold.

Want to knock out the gold farmers? Host a gold service. The focus won't be entirely on selling the gold itself for pennies per million, but the customer service - less risk of hacking, easy transactions and guaranteed security.

With that implemented, they can provide players with a way to pay membership through gold - something on the order of hundreds of millions of gp for a month's worth of membership.

The game's focus would then become less material and skill-level oriented leaning more toward activities that clans do, like turf battles for a measly crop of rune rocks.

If this all sounds familiar, then take a wild guess what other MMO does this and has been doing well in its niche.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Re: Interview with Jiblix

I have more than half a century on this earth, and I have worked in business and the non-profit sector, and currently serve on a governmental board. I not only understand why Jagex took away Jiblixs Fmod status, I agree with it. One cannot be in a position of authority in an organization and also do things which undermine that organization. It is one thing to criticize what an organization is doing; it is quite another to goad others into doing things that are against that organizations interests.

It never should have been necessary for Jagex to take action against Jiblix. The honorable way to voice the level of criticism he offered is AFTER one resigns, or at the very earliest in the letter of resignation.

In the thread I read that Jiblix created about his dissatisfaction (I believe it was called Ground Control to Jagex), some of the same players who complained about Jagexs unwillingness to listen to complaints were insulting to other players who disagreed with them. Two behaviors that are sure to shut down communication are name-calling and impugning others motives, which were present in abundance. If players are serious about keeping communication with Jagex open, they themselves need to stop inhibiting it.

Moreover, I saw no attempt by Jiblix to discourage these behaviors on his own thread, which one might reasonably expect an Fmod (or a former Fmod) to do. (I did not read the whole thread, but I read more than half, and saw him pass over opportunities to do so.) Regardless of his previous contributions to the community, I think it was time for Jiblixs position as Fmod to end. It is a shame that the very valid issues he raised are now obscured by his lack of understanding of business ethics.

John Stewart did a segment on the Daily Show about how politicians of all stripes claimed to know what the people wanted. At the end of that segment, he came to the conclusion that the more someone made that claim, the less likely it was to be true. I am extremely skeptical that the entire Runescape community feels one way or another about this incident, or any particular issue, or that the author has any way of judging how an entire community of over 1million people feels. I agree with Tidgy that much of the first paragraph of the article is hyperbole.

/\ ~Mara Planter

/ \ o

/ \ |=

/ \ ^ * * * *

| | / \ \ | /

It's interesting that Jiblix has yet to discuss publicly the first video he posted about the Golden Joystick Awards, which was entitled "Don't Vote for Jagex". He ranted that the F2P game was unplayable. After about 70 responses, in which some questioned whether he was concerned about losing the modship, he then publishes the current, sanitised version "Is this the good deal?"

Despite his attempts to clean up, he forgot about the Comments page to the initial video. This page remained for a good few days, until he took it down.

F2P game is unplayable. And as a player he has right to complain.

Don'tcha agree`? :)

@ Jiblix

Good points made mate.

re: the Jiblix interview

I found this to be quite eye-opening:

After being told to blatantly misguide their players with that whole stat reset ordeal (we were told to tell players to flag this as a bug report), I really did find it hard to trust them.

The suits should just rename the game SpinScape, because its all about spin these days.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Guest jrhairychest

Currently serve on a governmental board.

Two behaviors that are sure to shut down communication are name-calling and impugning others motives, which were present in abundance.

Lol couldn't resist it. Just love the irony :grin:

im a 10 year player was pmod 2x 0ver 5 years .was pmodded during the lastbot infection the trophy (crown) made me stand out and i became a gobetween to link a goldsite admin whistle blower who wanted to give jagex 50k bang to rights rwt accounts .the end result was jagex banned his 2 accounts he contacted them on. totaly disregarding the 50k paying rwt accounts .for my work in this matter i became veiwed upon in pmod fourums with suspision.being hung out to dry by jagex was not nice so i told them where to shove the trophy. that was 5 years ago.

it was plain to see then that jagex policy was to earn cash whatever.

time moved on and company policy was that maxed players were being looked upon as trophy holders(pmods) i decided to give it another go when asked simply because i do like helping ppl .but overtime knowing the freetrade era was about to redecend and knowing jagexs marvolouse anti bot dectection was total bluff i was looking for a way out that came when i recived my 1st offence in 10 years and was muted for trying to be funny in a ginger persons cc. i made sure my appeal would end in my demodding .

great interview m8 say it how it is

burrrppp

im a 10 year player was pmod 2x 0ver 5 years .was pmodded during the lastbot infection the trophy (crown) made me stand out and i became a gobetween to link a goldsite admin whistle blower who wanted to give jagex 50k bang to rights rwt accounts .the end result was jagex banned his 2 accounts he contacted them on. totaly disregarding the 50k paying rwt accounts .for my work in this matter i became veiwed upon in pmod fourums with suspision.being hung out to dry by jagex was not nice so i told them where to shove the trophy. that was 5 years ago.

it was plain to see then that jagex policy was to earn cash whatever.

time moved on and company policy was that maxed players were being looked upon as trophy holders(pmods) i decided to give it another go when asked simply because i do like helping ppl .but overtime knowing the freetrade era was about to redecend and knowing jagexs marvolouse anti bot dectection was total bluff i was looking for a way out that came when i recived my 1st offence in 10 years and was muted for trying to be funny in a ginger persons cc. i made sure my appeal would end in my demodding .

great interview m8 say it how it is

2difvol.jpg

I don't even...

I have only read the Jiblix interview so far because it seemed to be the most capivating (and it was). I enjoyed reading it even if it did mirror most of the feelings people here and myself already garner. Will be reading more tomorrow when I get home for Labor Day.

Also, Thank to Racheya for putting in my small "Did You Know"

wessan.png