The Q Word

Aceethan

Did it before in 2003 when I kept losing accounts to hackers but now, I play until the game ceases to exist. Plus a kind friend sponsered my 3 months stay as a member, will one day return to p2p and enjoy the full game once more.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually go through the same repetitive cycle. I set a large goal for myself, then one of 2 things happen I either achieve that goal and get bored cause there is nothing left for me to do or I burn out on my way to that goal. Both end with me taking a break of usually about 6 months then I comeback. Rinse and repeat for the last 5 years.

Jesus_Statuz.png

It has been over 10 years and I can say I never consciously quit. There is plenty of times when I just stopped playing for awhile or circumstances prevented me from playing so it just did not happen, but I have never quit.

With that said, I don't think I will quit considering RS is the only video game I do play. I do a bunch of other things and when I do play a game, RS is it.

wessan.png

I quit because I finally realized that this game was nothing but a circular, pointless grind. You grind money so that you can buy resources so you can grind skills so you can get more money to grind more skills, etc. I have nothing against a grind, it is part-and-parcel with MMORPGS, but the grind in RS was so tedious and one-dimensional.

for some reason that just reminded me of this article I saw a while ago, thought it might interest some people here

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Wessan and Akballer47, thats exactly how I'm playing now. Play for awhile when I have a goal( trying to cook all the swordfish and tuna I acquired during my as P2P in the managing Miscellania mini-game). Before that, 30 Dungeoneering to access the maples trees and then stopped for a while before that, just trying to find things to do on f2p that interest me. Still don't have a 99, so maybe....I'll go for that.

have you played rs on any computer other than the one you normally play on?

Nope, I only log on from my laptop which I only use for RS and this forum.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

No idea how this hacker managed to steal your items without even changing the password and PIN number for that matter so the only possibility is that someone could of discreetly

accessed your account via your laptop by downloading a keystroke software that records all your keyboard (and mouse) activity. This is the only way the hacker could access your

runescape account WITHOUT changing the password because doing so without knowing is impossible. Despite my last post, your recoveries may had nothing to do with your account

theft and since your antivirus DID NOT scan any infections in your system, the hacker might have gained your laptops approval for downloading his "software" into your computer.

I quit due to bots, effigies, bxp w/e, refer a friend, loyalty programme, rwt advertising in-game (+ spamming my private chat) and basically every skill getting easier and easier to train to the point that I feel no accomplishment when gaining lvls.

Just the accumulation of a lot of small things which made me lose all desire to play.

No idea how this hacker managed to steal your items without even changing the password and PIN number for that matter so the only possibility is that someone could of discreetly

accessed your account via your laptop by downloading a keystroke software that records all your keyboard (and mouse) activity. This is the only way the hacker could access your

runescape account WITHOUT changing the password because doing so without knowing is impossible. Despite my last post, your recoveries may had nothing to do with your account

theft and since your antivirus DID NOT scan any infections in your system, the hacker might have gained your laptops approval for downloading his "software" into your computer.

^This is the only possibility I can think of.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

I quit due to bots, effigies, bxp w/e, refer a friend, loyalty programme, rwt advertising in-game (+ spamming my private chat) and basically every skill getting easier and easier to train to the point that I feel no accomplishment when gaining lvls.

Just the accumulation of a lot of small things which made me lose all desire to play.

The bots and RWT advertising go without saying as really annoying and terrible; however, other than refer a friend and loyalty to an extent, I am glad to have things that boost exp like the BXPW, effigies, and easier skills because I do not get to play enough to make it worth my while otherwise. Honestly, I probably only have the stats I do because of the "easier" skills. I probably would have quit long ago if the grind was getting to me.

wessan.png

I quit because of college, other games such as xbox 360 and ps3, and racing. I'll keep my subscription though considering i've never cancelled it in like 4 years. I disagree with the direction Jagex is going but it's inevitable. I'm sure i'll return to max out but for now i'm enjoying another long term break.

Low_C.png

Come and join the I quit club, the grass is definitely greener on this side :P

Seriously, you will find that you suddenly will have so much more time on your hands after you cancel your sub. For one thing, I've become a lot more active on tif and rsof after quitting. Plus other awesome things I've discovered-Starcraft anyone?

And school/work. Get your priorities straight ppl. You don't want to not get into college/job/med school because of RS.You will have so much regret.

(thankfully I have mangaged to somehow get where I want to be...but don't tempt with fate lol)

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Im close to quitting, like borderline. Hacked, lost everything including my big main. stuck redoing everything from my older main and Jagex wont accept my details. This [bleep]ing sucks...

I'm with you man. Rebuilding your account sucks. I remember when my main was hacked a few years back and I wasn't able to recover him for a while. I started a new account and got it to level 85 with 1560 skill total and almost a 30M bank before I was finally able to recover my main. So much exp and money that could have been on my main. <_<

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Seriously, you will find that you suddenly will have so much more time on your hands after you cancel your sub. For one thing, I've become a lot more active on tif and rsof after quitting. Plus other awesome things I've discovered-Starcraft anyone?

Wish I can say the same. <_< Ever since college, I literally have to cram my time to make room for this game and this forum. I would still play since RS has never affected my grades to begin with

but it's that I can't keep on playing it since there's nothing to do now that I have billions of gp, every of my skills are no fun, and no content that I can enjoy. I can safely say that I've beaten this

game until there was nothing left for me. I know I have so much more to do but I can't continue grinding all my skills since it's just not fun anymore.

I'm thinking of quit playing games altogether and find a new hobby like trying to lose weight or focus on my major. Prob not going to happen but it's worth trying. :) My routine keeps me busy enough

to not even think about Runescape for days. I usually watch Youtube videos, look up wikipedia articles, search google images, watch/read the news, study for quizzes and exams, and other things. The best part

about my life is not having any relationships...since I can save money, time and esp freedom. :shades:

Wish I can say the same. <_< Ever since college, I literally have to cram my time to make room for this game and this forum. I would still play since RS has never affected my grades to begin with

but it's that I can't keep on playing it since there's nothing to do now that I have billions of gp, every of my skills are no fun, and no content that I can enjoy. I can safely say that I've beaten this

game until there was nothing left for me. I know I have so much more to do but I can't continue grinding all my skills since it's just not fun anymore.

I'm thinking of quit playing games altogether and find a new hobby like trying to lose weight or focus on my major. Prob not going to happen but it's worth trying. :) My routine keeps me busy enough

to not even think about Runescape for days. I usually watch Youtube videos, look up wikipedia articles, search google images, watch/read the news, study for quizzes and exams, and other things. The best thing

about my life is not having any relationships...since I can save money, time and esp freedom. :shades:

You could always give me a few hundred mil to so I can for once enjoy this game instead of being trampled on 24/7/ 2001-2011

Popoto.~<3

Or you can work for it back like I did when I was tampled on FOUR times after I started playing. When I meant trampled, I mean losing your whole bank, acc, stats, everything. Lost anywhere from 1.2m (which was a lot back then) to

a green mask-santa hat. (16-19m)

Since making money has never been easier, I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem making at least 100m to get you started.

have "quit" several times, currently on a break now.

everytime i've left the game is due to my own boredom rather than jagex's updates, none of those affect me in the slightest.

Jagex is a business and will attempt to make money every way possible, they probably shouldn't be so up front about it(?) but I can deal with that

(?): wasn't sure what words to use

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

I have taken a break for a few months because of rl calling, but I don't really see myself quitting anytime soon. I don't like Jagex's new approach to marketing, but it doesn't really affect me, even if they should introduce microtransactions. I don't give a damn about levels or money, so if other players spend their irl worth to get more pixels, they can do it.

I'm happy with doing quests and helping out in Team penguin, maybe playing a minigame from time to time. It's my niche and as I don't see Jagex ruining it anytime soon, I don't see myself quitting.

I'm still enjoying the F2P game fine, although it may be because I'm on the side of the efficient players.

A lot of friends I've met happen to be on that side too... so yeah. No quitting anytime soon.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I got to the point in the game where it was just a seemingly never ending grind to get a level. That's only fun for a short period of time.

Also, the general community, the updates, and real life were many of the factors why I quit.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I stopped playing (idk if that's quit but I've gained like no xp in more than a year) because I got bored. Ran out of stuff to do. Hunted every boss did every quest grinded 99s til I was tired of it (honestly getting tired of it should have been easier haha). The rate of new content just wasn't fast enough I guess. I resub every now and then if I anticipate being bored a lot in the upcoming month (prob do ROTM and darkmeyer over winter break) but really playing continuously you will end up grinding and that isn't worth my money imo. RS was my first big gaming hobby so it was kind of difficult to leave but honestly mobas like LoL are free and more fun - prestige is determined by skill, not how many hours you have spent clicking 'chop-down ivy' or whatever. Maybe some people don't prefer that but it was definitely a welcome change for me.

I "quit" for alot of reasons, most personal. The biggest reason I "quit" was because I finished all my goals. Sure new content comes out, but frankly there's nothing left in Runescape that appeals to me for along period of time. Grinding for rank numbers and 99's I'll never use isn't a goal I want to apply myself with.

I also used the word "quit" loosely, since here i am replying to this post? Nobody who invested a large amount of time in this game can really "quit" unless they get hacked and lose everything. Even then, there is still the desire to keep obtaining goals even if you have to start from scratch. I don't "play", but I still check updates & forums on a weekly basis.

I renewed my membership this month and bought some supplies with what money I didn't give away before. I'm just waiting for RoTM now, and it's the "only" reason I came back. After that's over, I'm done for good and going back to F2P. I much prefer logging on and playing FoG in F2P 3-4 times a month or so to paying members for a game that I have no longer have goals for.

Also, "Quitting" posts/threads are typically frowned upon. Everyone has their own reasons for "quitting" and they are exactly that; their own reasons. Quitting posts tend to be "I quit for this reason(s) and you should too so that Jagex will fix it and I can come back". Not all of them are that way, but most.