Sign in to follow this  
Ezkaton

Any idea what's wrong with my Hunter?

This has been a massive topic causing arguments amongst my friends and I and so I decided I'd ask here is anyone can explain why my Hunter exp/hr is so friggin bad.

Whilst doing Red Salamanders for the past 10 levels I've gained between 41 and 38k exp per hour, with the past 5 hours yielding 35k/hr or lower and when I hit 70 a few days back and a friend showed me 2 aparrently good spots for me to Hunt common jadinkos, which I was assured was a much better exp/hour, only to find it yeilding a silly 30k exp per hour... Compared to this, whenever I've given up with Hunter because of the unbareably slow exp/hr people from HYT FC, EoE CC, or just my friends who come into my FC cannot explain it and continually tell me "oh when I was your level I was getting 70k/hr" or "oh you're doing it wrong" but I do have to question - how am I doing it wrong?

Red Sallies I have endevoured to use the spot that is just across from the altar and trap door with the three traps closest together and used this for the past 5 odd hours of Hunter. I have also tried using all 4 traps; however, I got worse exp/hr from that. I followed advice to try Larupia camo and obviously used a bear. I use the exact same tactics that everyone tells me to use, yet my success and exp/hr is drastically below what I aparrently should be getting and thus I get extremely annoyed with the skill and rage quit it, annoying the people who have tried to help in the process.

With the Common Jads Octarine showed me two spots which are meant to be really good, yet I only got 30k exp/hr there, and I tried again for an hour using Larupia camo in the hope that would help me; however, I only managed a paltry 28k exp in that hour. Also Octarine taught me the tactic of stepping under the trap, picking it up and immediately clicking to set down another ASAP, so I have been doing that too to try and get a better exp rate.

I have even watched videos of Hunter guides and read everything in the Tip.It Herblore Habitat and Hunter guide pages on the main page and in the AoW trying to understand some of the tactics and impliment them, still getting nowhere.

So I refuse point blank to accept that I am doing it wrong like most people, once they cannot feasibly explain why it is such bad exp/hr compared to what they get, put my failing hunter exp/hr down to.

So please please please can someone explain to me what the hell is up with Hunter? This is really really annoying me to the point where I'm having massive arguments with my friends over the usefulness of juju's, and I'm getting so disenchanted with what is becoming my lowest skill at 70 whilst everything races away at much higher exp rates (c'mon, even RC and Agility are faster than my Hunter exp/hr and I only penguin RC and get 42k exp/hr from Agility!). I'm just at such a loss with a skill that I was promised would become much better and quicker and worthwhile once I hit that magic 70, which, when I tried it, turned out to be a regression of exp/hr and ultimately not worth the time and effort to bother even trying to train it - because quite frankly getting 30k/hr for 446k exp to just get to ingenious jadinkos which are "a worse exp/hr than commons" Octarine told me is looking less and less worth even bothering for.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

you should do orange sallys at your level tbh, with desert camo and arctic bear you should get about 60-70k xp/hour.

:(

I'm not exactly sure what your problems are but are you catching them at a slower rate then before?

For your herblore habitat camo - it should only be witchdoctor gear.

So for now, the best thing to grab are just an artic bear (and if you want to smoke your own trap - feel free)

I would just start gathering vines + seeds for higher level hunter.

It sucks now but there's no way around some of the requirements you need if you want higher exp/hour later (for hunter as well as other skills)

Some of things that you should get:

-juju farming pot

-juju mining pots

-juju hunter potions

-juju scentless potions

-zamorak's favor (just grab these when you're searching for Zamorak Jadinkos when going for the witchdoctor)

capt%20kevin.png

You broke the game

hzyi3.gif

Thanks to Iglw for the amazing signature!

I went from 66->78 over the weekend training exactly as you are. This is what I did:

66->69: Red sallies

70->76: Common Jadinko

I used the spot shown here:

trapcommon.jpg

I used a arctic bear at all times. I used hunter potions from 70->73 hunter. At level 70 I was getting 42k exp an hour, by level 77 I was getting 52.5k exp an hour.

This was a bit over 2000 common jadinko, which may seem like a lot, but did give me a decent stockpile of all juju herb seeds.

77->79: Igneous/Carrion

As soon as I hit 77 I used hunter potions to get my first piece of witchdoctor clothes and got the mask as soon as I hit 78.

The Igneous/Carrion method is outlined here: http://forum.tip.it/topic/281681-herblore-habitat/

I used hunter potions to catch the Carrion Jadinkos. This averaged 106k exp/hr for me so far.

80+: Draconic/Common

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

The layout shown above isn't that efficient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaF1nRM69_g

Check that video out for tips on how to maximize your hunting, though I must say I can personally relate to your complaints. I've done all of my hunting just about perfectly (draconics with full witchdoctor camo, zammy favours, weekly bonus, arctic bear, hunter potion with berserker, X formation, +1 trick, clicking to the right of a plant, moving away early on a trap set to transition faster, 99 hunter, using the spot beside the vine) and I still cap at approximately 260k/hr. The only thing I don't use is scentless. Meanwhile, I've heard of people getting just under 300k/hr with 95 hunter and not even using hunter pots in the exact same place. I'm guessing this has something to do with the worlds you choose, but I always go to 1800+ pop and honestly even if it was a respawn issue... a 15% deviation is pretty dramatic.

Follow my road to IFB/5.4/MOA/True Trim - DAT BLOG

I have such a hard time hunting, I don't know why either tbh.

My brother gets 300K xp an hour hunting and he has 18.3mil hunt xp. I don't know, he says he can only get that xp at 99.

Bruhx.png

Maybe it's superstition, but it always seems to me that when the jads just aren't getting lured into my traps, I just hop worlds a few times, and everything seems to fix itself...

The layout shown above isn't that efficient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaF1nRM69_g

Check that video out for tips on how to maximize your hunting, though I must say I can personally relate to your complaints. I've done all of my hunting just about perfectly (draconics with full witchdoctor camo, zammy favours, weekly bonus, arctic bear, hunter potion with berserker, X formation, +1 trick, clicking to the right of a plant, moving away early on a trap set to transition faster, 99 hunter, using the spot beside the vine) and I still cap at approximately 260k/hr. The only thing I don't use is scentless. Meanwhile, I've heard of people getting just under 300k/hr with 95 hunter and not even using hunter pots in the exact same place. I'm guessing this has something to do with the worlds you choose, but I always go to 1800+ pop and honestly even if it was a respawn issue... a 15% deviation is pretty dramatic.

I followed this guide but I felt that using the spot closer to the water (the first spot he used to the NE) was better.

But do get witchdoctors clothes as it does make everything a lot easier.

Also, if you're not getting enough spawns - just keep to the same spot.

Sooner or later - the spawns/jadinkos will adjust themselves so that they start spawning right next to you/r traps.

capt%20kevin.png