9/11 was ten years ago

Flodder450

I'm glad Osama's gone, at the very least. The attack would probably be worse if they still had their long-term leader.

When Osama was killed he was just a figure head he had little or no control of the group he once led the leader at

the moment is a murderer along with what Osama is its pointless fighting a terrorist group that are based in so

many different country's im not saying what they do is right but all we can do is be tollerant of what there doing,

lets face it bombing for peace is like (excuse my french) [bleep]ing for virginity.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted it is the 10th anniversary of the attacks, which should make this topic slightly more significant then those in the past.

I got an idea! Lets make anniversary thread about every single war, revolutions, genocides, natural disasters, rebellions, terrorist attacks, everything! Families are still mourning about it, over millions

of lives were lost and it marked a piece of our history am I right? How come Sept 11 which only lost 2,900 people is more special here compared to the holocaust which lost ~12 million people? Why oh why... :rolleyes:

Granted it is the 10th anniversary of the attacks, which should make this topic slightly more significant then those in the past.

The only people that really takes 9/11 serious anyone, the ones that still mourn the day, are those who live in NY and those who were directly affected by the attacks.

I still remember where I was 10 years ago, I was 12 riding the bus to school listening to reports over the radio, then siting in class as everyone is still trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Before that day I never even knew what the World Trade Towers were or where they existed. However today, I honestly don't particularly care about 9/11 anymore because I find it being used to justify all the deaths that have resulted because of the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan.

So a 10 years would be more important than 11 years? We created the term anniversary, but it's pretty much meaningless; it's just a round number.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Well, to be fair, there's clearly enough interest for a topic.

Although, Steve has a point. It is 10 years after what happened, and it's good to see where we stand now. We are clearly being affected even after 10 years unlike other events (holocaust) where any fighting that is going on is long over. It doesn't remove the fact that they're tragedies that happened, I think it's more so the fact that it's still occurring right now per say.

j0xPu5R.png

I got an idea! Lets make anniversary thread about every single war, revolutions, genocides, natural disasters, rebellions, terrorist attacks, everything! Families are still mourning about it, over millions

of lives were lost and it marked a piece of our history am I right? How come Sept 11 which only lost 2,900 people is more special here compared to the holocaust which lost ~12 million people? Why oh why... :rolleyes:

The Holocaust is remember everyday, there are countless memorials all around the World along with the month of April dedicated to the remembrance of the Holocaust. So are you going to try and tell me the Holocaust isn't remember?

Natural disasters are remember also, hurricane Katrina is usually brought up a couple times a year with specials and what not on TV.

September 11 isn't the only deadly event that is remembered. There is also more to September 11 then the actual attacks themselves as affected the entire World. You may disagree, but could you honestly say the past tens years would have happened the same had the attack not happened?

The only people that really takes 9/11 serious anyone, the ones that still mourn the day, are those who live in NY and those who were directly affected by the attacks.

I still remember where I was 10 years ago, I was 12 riding the bus to school listening to reports over the radio, then siting in class as everyone is still trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Before that day I never even knew what the World Trade Towers were or where they existed. However today, I honestly don't particularly care about 9/11 anymore because I find it being used to justify all the deaths that have resulted because of the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan.

So a 10 years would be more important than 11 years? We created the term anniversary, but it's pretty much meaningless; it's just a round number.

No, but culturally we treat 5th and 10th anniversaries at higher regards for publicity. Are you more likely to attend the 199th anniversary of Oktoberfest or the 200th anniversary (Yes, I know that've both have already passed)? Personally I'd be more incline to attend the 200th rather the 199th because you know it's going to be done up a lot more despite the beer being the same both years. (probably wasn't the best analogy but oh-well)

tFtfA.jpg

Yes, we've all noticed, as the media has been pushing it down our throats pretty much non-stop since it happened.

Actually, I haven't heard anything about it outside of these forums. :D

You must not watch much TV then.

I think it's time we laid down some ground rules for this topic, as some people have already come very close to breaking the rules. This topic is about the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001, an event that affected millions of people the world over directly or indirectly and changed the course of modern history in a huge way. This topic is not designed to discuss the merits of anniversaries, or seeing who has the bigger tragedy. Anyone going off-topic in this topic from now on will be warned.

-Necromagus, Tip.It Mod.

I'm glad Osama's gone, at the very least. The attack would probably be worse if they still had their long-term leader.

When Osama was killed he was just a figure head he had little or no control of the group he once led the leader at

the moment is a murderer along with what Osama is its pointless fighting a terrorist group that are based in so

many different country's im not saying what they do is right but all we can do is be tollerant of what there doing,

lets face it bombing for peace is like (excuse my french) [bleep]ing for virginity.

Yeah they should have just let him live out his life in peace right? It amazes me every time I see an ignorant comment like this. Bin Laden's fortume(s) had MUCH control over the operations of Al Queda despite the fact that he was forced to live in hiding. You could say the same of many of history's mass murderers, they were just figureheads and rarely pulled any trigger or DIRECTLY killed anyone. That still doesn't remove the fact that they bear responsibility for the people who were murdered due to their actions.

Most of you were kids on that day and many still are. It's kinda sickening to see the ignorance and naivety at how we should not discuss or remember what happened.

Do yourselves a favor, look up George Santayna and his famous quote. Apparently many of you haven't taken history in school yet.

I was 6 at the time of the bombings too. I remember seeing the footage on the news, and just switching over to Cartoon Network to watch Ed, Edd 'n Eddy.

Yeah...

Unless your birth date information is wrong, the WTC bombing happened two years before you were born.

WTC Bombing: 1993

Two planes flying into the WTC towers: 2001

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Wow i can't believe it's been 10 years already. I can still remember it like it happened just the other day.

Considering the fact that 10 years is technically the majority of my life (am 19 years old), it doesn't feel the same for me.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I do have slight fears of another terrorist attack since it's the anniversary.

Wasn't Al-Qaeda planning one with trains or something?

I believe the apparent threat deals with a car bomb, probably on a bridge.

In the documents they found when they killed Osama, there was reference to possibly bombing trains, but no details of a specific plot (at least from what information was publicly released).

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

it's been 10 years since 9/10 today

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

*snipped out since i just saw Necromagus's post*

Move on and stop filling the media with this every single year!

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

I was 6 at the time of the bombings hijacked planes flying into the WTC towers on the 11th of September too. I remember seeing the footage on the news, and just switching over to Cartoon Network to watch Ed, Edd 'n Eddy.

Yeah...

Unless your birth date information is wrong, the WTC bombing happened two years before you were born.

WTC Bombing: 1993

Two planes flying into the WTC towers: 2001

Details, details.

It doesn't feel like 10 years

I was 11 at the time, and I remember the day very clearly, we were in the process of moving to another country, so we had gone there to sort some things out before heading back home to pack, we were due to fly home that evening

Was at a friends house playing some old school videogames so I didn't pay much attention to it first, but as the afternoon progressed I realized what was actually happening.

By late afternoon/evening I was in front of the tv with my family, I didn't really understand what was happening, except that the tv was just continously showing clips of the second plane hitting the wtc, and knowing that in a few hours I would be on board a plane, I was absolutely terrified.

In Europe flights were not cancelled, however there were very strict security measures, all flights were delayed as there were massive queues to go through security and as I recall no one was allowed any hand luggage.

While waiting for boarding, everyone crowded around the tv in the departure lounge.

The actual flight was the tensest few hours in my life.

I will never forget that day, it was a horrible crime that changed the world for the worse

It caused 2 wars in which thousands of allied troops were killed and many more injures, not to mention the hundred thousand+, Iraqi and Afghani civillians and police killed.

My thoughts go to all those who have died and those who have lost friends and loved ones to the attacks and to the wars that followed

there are days where we remember other wars and such events, there is remembrance day, VE day, VJ day etc.

the difference is that 9/11 was only 10 years ago, and therefore I immagine a large majority of the users of this forum still remember it, as opposed to the other events I have listed

I leave condolences for people, but there are plenty of nationalist [wagon] flaunting "Murikah!" that leaves other niches to be filled. Like this one, in that there are more causalities as a result of this than "3,000" Americans:

229085_10150170867624724_504979723_6797933_832104_n.jpg

And this one, and how America instituted a policy of torture and made its citizens less safe, while the Vice President openly flaunts on national television about his war crimes:

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2011/09/3934

A moment of violence might provoke a quick response, but the response is likely to be one of defense—doing, saying anything, no matter how false, to stop the violence—and a jolt in response to violence may at best only skim the surface of an individual. Interrogation is different altogether. An interrogator seeks depth and breadth of information. Getting to such depth and breadth requires finding a way to create an opening in the internal web of the detainee’s person. Perhaps an insecure young man craves having someone treat him with dignity. Perhaps a lonely detainee misses the attentive care and wisdom of a favorite aunt. Perhaps a proud warrior wants to feel respected for how hard he has fought for his beloved cause. These are the types of emotional openings a skilled interrogator can home in on and then build from in order to form a connection between the interrogator and the detainee.

I have no illusions about America; we've tortured many people before this. But this was different. This instituted state sanctioned torture, a torture regime so to speak, the very thing many people said would have to come about if it were the case if we tried it (not just professional torturers, but you'd have to bring in doctors, lawyers, etc).

So if there's one reason to not forget, it's to remember how national leadership failed us and made a point of funneling the emotional response into a desire for revenge instead -- most notably by calling it an act of war rather than a monstrous crime, a decision that continues to haunt us.

edit, and how could I forget this?

One 9/11 Tally: $3.3 trillion

See, I can understand a thread on this subject, on the day, at a 10 year anniversary. But, we've seen 'news' reports and debates and dialogues about it for about a week constantly beforehand.

Now it actually is September 11, we've already heard every single discussion we can reasonably have about it already. The media has killed off any intelligent discussion we could have had on this, and that's hugely disappointing.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

As someone of the media, it can't be helped that such an moment in our time to be broadcasted this much. Technology is so different in comparison with other events in history. The instant communication we live in allow for a deeper impact and on the flip side, a deeper resentment to the amount being sent out to everyone. Our duty as consumers of the media need to be able to filter what to consume. Too much of a thing can be a bad thing.

But with that aside, my condolences go out to all affected by what was started by four planes on a frightful Tuesday. I remember where I was and will continue to remember that feeling it has left in my heart from everything that happened. I lost my innocence that day and many others did as well.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg