Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 11th September 2011

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

NukeMarine
[ Display Name History ]

NukeMarine

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Nukemarine
First Article: I pretty much stopped playing RS when I transferred to Japan four years ago. During that time I did keep up with the game. After my return from a deployment to Africa dungeoneering came out so I played again for a month or two then stopped. Oddly enough, it was the member awards program that got me to re-up and keep membership since 6 bucks a month is nothing (the military pays well these days). That in turn got me to do small upkeep chores with the distractions and diversions and farming (since it's once daily, I can use the really cheap pineapple and casquat seeds). Instead of doing hours of grinding like I did way back when, I'm doing 30 minute tasks once a day with the odd skill leveling, achievement or quest on the week-end. To be honest, this BXPW was the only time I was grinding a skill (hunter and magic).

Not sure the point. Since I'm not grinding for a skill or getting gp, I'm not directly annoyed by the bots. All the updates of the last four years are fun to catch up on if you're not trying to finish them as fast as possible. Make it less a chore, and more an evening stress reliever.

Second Article: Have to agree that these updates breathed new life in how to approach the game. Instead of just needing combat to be good at combat, now a player needs to have multiple high levels to compete. I see that as only a good thing since how can you seperate guys that are 99 in all combat skills?

What I hope will happen in the future are items that require multiple high skill levels to make/use. In addition, they should up the level cap to 120 for all skills (not at once, perhaps one skill every month). Oh, and given their willingness to have specialized servers, create servers where overloads and other non-combat items that impact p2p combat can be used.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

justjuice
[ Display Name History ]

justjuice

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • RSN:holyone
when will people realize runescape is a game thats all . they [bleep] and moad about how the idealistic purity of the game has been corrupted by the imperalistic desire for moni , i mean frack its a gameee that Andrew Gower invented and made a ton of moni selling...sheesh everyone is acting like they have beev betrayd by Jagex and the developers of Runescape

RU_Insane
[ Display Name History ]

RU_Insane

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 781 posts
  • RSN '07:RU Insane

when will people realize runescape is a game thats all . they [bleep] and moad about how the idealistic purity of the game has been corrupted by the imperalistic desire for moni , i mean frack its a gameee that Andrew Gower invented and made a ton of moni selling...sheesh everyone is acting like they have beev betrayd by Jagex and the developers of Runescape

There's a difference between customer dissatisfaction and being unable to discern fantasy from reality. Yes, Jagex has betrayed their entire player-base. They sacrificed the principles that formed the core gaming experience of the game in favor of cheaters -- filling Jagex's wallet with cash -- while giving their loyal, legitimate players the royal shaft.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Bernkastel
Thanks everyone who read my article. It was originally going to touch on the more tangible aspects of why I'm leaving, like bots and Jagex's poor practices, but they're talked about so much I wanted to cover something a little broader. It's just saddening to me, really, that RuneScape is past it's hay day. FT/W was supposed to herald a new golden age but it's simply brought us back into a dark age.

Jagex is a business and RuneScape has to make money - but it's not having mine.

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Youmu
[ Display Name History ]

Youmu

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 4,622 posts
Yeah, it's sad that Jagex is not trying hard enough to counter the bots. Yes, bots get banned, but more are getting created than they are banned, at this rate.

That doesn't stop me from enjoying the game though. I've made lots of good friends playing and I don't want to just leave like that. I've also got several long-term goals to attend to, and I don't plan on quitting until I get those goals over with.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

RU_Insane
[ Display Name History ]

RU_Insane

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 781 posts
  • RSN '07:RU Insane

Thanks everyone who read my article. It was originally going to touch on the more tangible aspects of why I'm leaving, like bots and Jagex's poor practices, but they're talked about so much I wanted to cover something a little broader. It's just saddening to me, really, that RuneScape is past it's hay day. FT/W was supposed to herald a new golden age but it's simply brought us back into a dark age.

I don't think we should have expected the FT/W return to usher in an era of unadulterated bliss. We took free trade and wilderness for granted, and so no one expected them to be taken away. The majority of us have formed our experiences before the FT/W removal, so of course when we were longing for them to return, we only thought of the positive aspects and not the negative impacts of FT/W. Six years ago, people were still complaining about bots. The problem today is much the same, except over the course of the post-FT/W era, changes were implemented that exacerbated the effects the return of FT/W would have on the game -- easier leveling, easier account creation, gold was devalued enormously, increased emergent game-play (the introduction of dice), and so forth. Cheaters certainly saw the benefits they could reap from these changes, and took advantage of it. We simply didn't have the things in the pre-FT/W removal era that we did post-removal, so we can't expect the same outcome for its return.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Central_Keeper
[ Display Name History ]

Central_Keeper

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 474 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
I think majority of the players would agree that bot, RWT, and Jagex new PR strategies have put a huge dent on their reputation. I always support the use of GE, no Wildy, and no FT because the benefits it brought in. It's too bad Jagex has to impose such a control couple years ago. Well, who can blame them, some players choose to cheat over playing honestly. Even though the first article might seen like another rant disguise as a Tip It Times. I still feel it somewhat chilling that even one of their loyal fan is finally giving up on the game due to deterioating in game experience and no real resolution offered to combat current problem.

I don't think starting a new point in life would have force people to giving up on the game, but that's just my view. I started this game while I was in university, and it has somewhat helped me through school work (read stuff while I RS). I know a few players in game that said they have to give up RS due to RL event like getting married or going to university. Interestingly enough, they all came back in the end.

I don't think majority of the players (esp veterans) will quit permeantly, but we probably won't put much effort like we did as we used to during the game's golden age.

@Racheya, good luck with university, and you can always go to 1k plus world, and foreign worlds to enjoy slightly less bots experience if you ever getting bored with uni stuff.
a happy Runescaper

Sona
[ Display Name History ]

Sona

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 99 posts
The irony is that the number of subscribers actually went up even after all the updates - from most trends websites, RS's population has consistently hung around ~1 mil subscribers. Currently, it is hovering around 1.3 mil subscribers and the number has increased rather than decreased over the last few months.

This is going to sound harsh, but were I Jagex, I'd take 300k bots (if they're all bots, which I doubt is the case - look at how hyped people were about citadels, for instance) and its profits over the vocal minority any day. The truth is, they're making money. Until something happens that'll make them lose money, nothing's going to change.

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer

Really didn't like the times this week.
First article can be seen all over the first and second page of general forums right here on tip.it. Just felt like the author had to have a spotlight on her one last time before she left.
Second article kinda just stated a generalised observation.

Meh.

+1. People quit. They don't like changes, they don't like what the company does, they don't have time, different priorities, etc. In fact, an article on how change, whether its a change in the game, something that happened in game, or out, or a change to the company, and how it affects people starting/restarting/stopping games would have been far more interesting, and elucidating, and wouldn't have seemed so narcissistic.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Sly_Wizard
[ Display Name History ]

Sly_Wizard

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
Weird. When I went off to college, I played Runescape more, not less :P

But, seriously. People quit all the time. I don't know why it's made into a big deal. Hell, I myself have "quit" probably ten times now, and yet I'm still playing.

SwreeTak
[ Display Name History ]

SwreeTak

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,739 posts
  • RSN:SwreeTak
  • Clan:Arcane Chroniclers
I think both of the articles were quite good. Not the best ones that have been published though, since both of them took up points that have already been discussed so much recently.
However, what Racheya says about players coming back to the game in her article, is worth pointing out. I agree fully with the opinion that not only a few, but quite a lot, of people return to the game after having "quitted", just because we have this "..desire to make the pixels on our screen look exactly the way we want them."

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Helm_Lardar
[ Display Name History ]

Helm_Lardar

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • RSN:Helm Lardar
I don't know why, but when people write articles or threads about how they're quitting, I honestly couldn't care less. It's like they just want the attention-if they only wanted to make it clear and why all they'd have to do is put something in their sig saying 'I've left Runescape-not that fun anymore'

I'm not an efficienado.

I_am_Geed
[ Display Name History ]

I_am_Geed

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
  • RSN:Feel
  • RSN2:Doc Roe3

Leaving by Racheya comment

I think this "rant" is basically just a disguise for the fact that the author has become grown and has discovered that there are other things in life besides Runescape which are much more important - for example: to study at a university among other things.

This. Nothing lasts forever, so enjoy it while you can. I had my Runescape phase, and now its over. Do I regret it? Heck no! I met a lot of awesome people here on tif and I still plan to be a part of the community here, I just have no more interest in playing runescape anymore.

I guess im in a similar boat to Rach
Posted Image

SelfishLiar
[ Display Name History ]

SelfishLiar

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • RSN:Selfish Liar
This is on "Leaving" by Racheya. quote-"RuneScape has given me some really great times over the years - it's just not working for me any longer."

Just a personal thing I've tried to ask myself. What does RuneScape do for me? I was talking to a guy who was saying that video games don't do anything. I guess they just waste time. They don't make me money. And people I know don't want me playing them. I play them alot and I don't clean the house. But I also think that I complain less when I play, it gives me something to do besides clean the house or pull the weeds, and it makes my head feel fuzzy. What I wanted video games to do was make me forget about eating so I could loose weight.

I would've liked to have known what "great times" RuneScape has been and what used to work.

GregorDGrim
[ Display Name History ]

GregorDGrim

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • RSN:GregorDGrim

What does RuneScape do for me? I was talking to a guy who was saying that video games don't do anything. I guess they just waste time. They don't make me money. And people I know don't want me playing them. I play them alot and I don't clean the house. But I also think that I complain less when I play, it gives me something to do besides clean the house or pull the weeds, and it makes my head feel fuzzy. What I wanted video games to do was make me forget about eating so I could loose weight.

That's pretty funny. I was just having this discussion with my girlfriend last evening. I was muttering to myself about messing up on a quest, and she asked if everything was okay. I told her it was just in the game, and she laughed, thinking I was doing something work-related on the computer and getting frustrated. I said "I just wasted time doing something" and she responded "The whole thing is a waste of time, isn't it?" I said that every game is a waste of time, but it's certainly no worse than sitting in front of the television for a few hours.

Man must play, to balance out the work. As long as it's fun, I will continue with Runescape. When it ceases to be fun, I'll move on to something else.

canadiansmurf
[ Display Name History ]

canadiansmurf

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 255 posts
How times change. What happened to this fan site? I think it's ironic that someone who blindly championed Jagex in the past in now whinging about how Jagex is going downhill and how they are quitting.

This sets an ugly tone for the people currently playing.

We've all been through this, Runescape now is not the game I started playing years ago, in fact it has not been since the trade restrictions.

In fact this third wave or fourth wave of people quitting in disgust over the game seems so spoiled. They were the ones who loudly championed ALL of Jagex's decisions especially when they were new to the game and now they are the ones loudly complaining about every Jagex decision. Spoiled hypocrites.

Runescape is fun to play with a group of real life friends. Who cares about the bots? The magic and the core of the game is still there if you can look past the many flaws.

Hamtaro
[ Display Name History ]

Hamtaro

Skeleton Shield

• Editorial Panel
  • 1,174 posts
  • RSN:Hamtaro
  • Clan:HamChiP3ace
It's ironic you mention change and then assume a person who previously supported Jagex is required to support them indefinitely. That's like being a fan of an athlete and then being called a hypocrite for no longer supporting him after he's caught taking steroids. Also, you're making a pretty irrational assumption when you claim people who quit now have somehow automatically supported everything Jagex has done prior to these past few months.

RuneScape is fun to play with a group of real life friends? Too bad all of my IRL friends were smart enough to quit years ago (as is the case with many of us).

Who cares about the bots? Try the vast majority of players (hence the 9001 new bot rants every week). They make the game unbearable to play as training spots are filled beyond the traditional capacity and they skew prices of items to be a nuisance for real players.

And this one single article somehow sets a non-existent "ugly tone" for people who still play? That's like saying your quality of life diminished because one person said "life sucks" to you once.
Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.
Posted Image
"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Yay0siris
[ Display Name History ]

Yay0siris

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 332 posts
No offence but i could have read half the topics in general discussion and got the same outcome regarding the quitting article. I realize most topics are exhausted but at least choose original pieces to be featured on tip.it

justjuice
[ Display Name History ]

justjuice

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • RSN:holyone

well im sure that Runescape with survive very well without your membership or dollars , maybe its time for u to grow up and live in the real world ...its just a game which is fun and if u dont enjoy the game dont play , tired of people bleeping about how they feel sold out by Jagex......News Flash folks its a gameeeeeeeee

Lose No Hope
[ Display Name History ]

Lose No Hope

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,864 posts
  • RSN:Lose No Hope
  • Clan:DGS

well im sure that Runescape with survive very well without your membership or dollars , maybe its time for u to grow up and live in the real world ...its just a game which is fun and if u dont enjoy the game dont play , tired of people bleeping about how they feel sold out by Jagex......News Flash folks its a gameeeeeeeee

I don't think you understand the point of the article, or what she is trying to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users