14-Sept-2011 � Ritual of the Mahjarrat

Saradomin_Mage

TBH, a few years ago no maybe just 6 months ago I would've lived for this update - but now I look at it - read the story, and feel satisfied enough. The quest seems to again bring not that new to the table. The cutscenes - as good as they look for "HD" RS, just fails in comparison to any game I pull up on my PS3. And even the 2 heroes' death seem to feel quite pointless - unlike the effect While Guthix Sleeps had on me.

And...the new boots...sigh..nothing like claws. :/

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were so many things in this quest that disappointed me. I did Branches of Darkmeyer right after, and I thought it was much better overall. I'm not gonna go into a whole bunch of things, but here's a couple thoughts off the top of my head:

- Seriously, Azzanadra is supposed to be the champion of Zaros and one of the most powerful Mahjarrat, so why in the world was he only level 250?

- Why is Zemouregal the only Mahjarrat besides Lucien to be of a larger stature? Doesn't make sense.

- The final battle was incredibly underwhelming. It could have been an incredible fight, but it was just lackluster and silly.

- The Mahjarrats' attacks were really stupid looking. Aren't these dudes supposed to be all-powerful mages?

I was really expecting a lot more. Very, very disappointed. The rewards were good, though.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

There were so many things in this quest that disappointed me. I did Branches of Darkmeyer right after, and I thought it was much better overall. I'm not gonna go into a whole bunch of things, but here's a couple thoughts off the top of my head:

- Seriously, Azzanadra is supposed to be the champion of Zaros and one of the most powerful Mahjarrat, so why in the world was he only level 250?

- Why is Zemouregal the only Mahjarrat besides Lucien to be of a larger stature? Doesn't make sense.

- The final battle was incredibly underwhelming. It could have been an incredible fight, but it was just lackluster and silly.

- The Mahjarrats' attacks were really stupid looking. Aren't these dudes supposed to be all-powerful mages?

I was really expecting a lot more. Very, very disappointed. The rewards were good, though.

Although i haven't done the quest yet, i have to agree with you on the combat levels... i mean, the normal vyrewatch npc's are level 189 or whatever, so im not seeing 250 as a significant level increase for these "boss" guys.

i don't play psykick anymore... i play 2ed: "pure fett"

26081 to get 99 herblore

I have to agree with this. Although perhaps the strength of a Mahjarrat is not measured in combat level but what knowledge they have.

[hide]Kinda pissed me off too when he teleported away in fear when the Dragonkin showed up, leaving me, one of his most valuable allies, to be possible ripped to shreds and charred.[/hide]

Zemouregal is Lucien's cousin, maybe it's in the genetics...lol

[hide]I wouldn't call it silly...but it was a bit lackluster, I was expecting we would kill Lucien in an awesome 1 on 1 battle to the death (his).[/hide]

There probably were graphics/mechanical/etc problems that limited the coolness. And an attack doesn't have to look awesome just because the user is all-powerful. Rule of cool need not apply here.

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

I just walked south of the brimhaven POH entrance, and got:

"You feels the effects of the Stone of Jas wear off"... (red text)

Does the increased combat effect really apply that far from the ritual site?

Note, I completed the quest yesterday, over 12 hours of playtime ago... Im sure it wasn't something that had to wear off from the moment I completed the quest.

"He
really
calls himself Noobz?"

Sheep.gif

[hide=STATS]Noobz.png[/hide]

Ok, am I the only one who's completed the quest (including the extra 3k Prayer exp for freeing Arrav) but still has the light blue colored quest name? Am I missing something?

I'm on the same boat as you.

The quest is green now for me, I freed Arrav but quest journal still says I can earn 3k pray exp when I find Arrav on the plateau....

"He
really
calls himself Noobz?"

Sheep.gif

Ok, am I the only one who's completed the quest (including the extra 3k Prayer exp for freeing Arrav) but still has the light blue colored quest name? Am I missing something?

I'm on the same boat as you.

The quest is green now for me, I freed Arrav but quest journal still says I can earn 3k pray exp when I find Arrav on the plateau....

The blue part is to show where you have to be for the quest, right click on the quest name and put that option off should do the trick.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

About billrach: I suggest speaking to ali the wise after the quest. He'll give a thorough indication of what happened.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I think now we know what the strange power was all about, its only obvious to ask: What was down there that could kill Bilrach, he seems to be more powerful than Zemouregal thinks he is if he created the demon K'ril Tsutsaroth and was able to reach the rift he wrongly thought would bring Zamorak back. It opens up a whole new storyline. Who killed Bilrach? Zaros? Dragonkin? Elder Gods?

Let me ask you a question: Players have been maxed out at 138 for quite some time now. Would a level 138 from 3 years ago be able to defeat a level 138 in today's time? The reasonable response would be no as in the last three years players have had access to additional resources and equipment which do not effect the basic combat level (and archaic and unbalanced system at the best of times).

Since the release of the Barrow Brothers, there have been NPC's much tougher than their level suggested due in part for non-level affecting "gear" that they count as wearing. Basically, the Mahjarrat are powerful not just in combat stats, but in equipment and skills that make them approach godhood like status.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Let me ask you a question: Players have been maxed out at 138 for quite some time now. Would a level 138 from 3 years ago be able to defeat a level 138 in today's time? The reasonable response would be no as in the last three years players have had access to additional resources and equipment which do not effect the basic combat level (and archaic and unbalanced system at the best of times).

Since the release of the Barrow Brothers, there have been NPC's much tougher than their level suggested due in part for non-level affecting "gear" that they count as wearing. Basically, the Mahjarrat are powerful not just in combat stats, but in equipment and skills that make them approach godhood like status.

Whilst I appreciate your logic there I still agree with Obt.

Primarily because I'm considering the fact that it is Silske who managed to (in part) summon Nex a level 1001 monster who isn't even at full power as far as we know; however, my own reason for them being level 250 is because they weaken over time and only once the ritual has happened are they returned to full strength. So Azzandra could well be much more powerful than we even know now he's back at full power, and will probably start channeling the power of Zaros more.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

After the ritual they became lv 350... (right clicking)

Interesting lucien only grew from 750 to 800 :P

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I heard from the RSOF, so feel free to not believe it, that Paul said the reason the Mahjarrat all appeared to be level 250 was because after touching the Stone of Jas, your stats were boosted and this is their relative level to your new enhanced level. No QFC, did not care to mark it at the time.

Tenuous I know, but one possible explanation.

Trying is just the first step in failure.

Fire_God.png

I considered somehow ROTM to be 'end game' lore and questlines. Didn't expect it to open up so many new interesting quest lines, I love that. Robert the strong sequel seems like the best, obviously closely tied to the dragonkin.

BTW, glacors must be the new best way to gather blue charms! easy to gather 30-40 per hour there.

"He
really
calls himself Noobz?"

Sheep.gif

Note, I completed the quest yesterday, over 12 hours of playtime ago... Im sure it wasn't something that had to wear off from the moment I completed the quest.

In the quest complete screen, it had a last sentence something like "increased combat abilities in certain areas." I suspected that it had something to do with the number you pick, that the Stone was hidden somewhere and you get a boost there. What number did you pick?

podv4.png

In the quest complete screen, it had a last sentence something like "increased combat abilities in certain areas." I suspected that it had something to do with the number you pick, that the Stone was hidden somewhere and you get a boost there. What number did you pick?

Wow wait a minute... I see what you are doing there! I am not telling, I am not giving you access to the Stone :twisted:

I picked 1, simply cause I found it odd that I could choose it. Indicates to me that in a sequel you might need it :rolleyes:

"He
really
calls himself Noobz?"

Sheep.gif

Wow wait a minute... I see what you are doing there! I am not telling, I am not giving you access to the Stone :twisted:

I picked 1, simply cause I found it odd that I could choose it. Indicates to me that in a sequel you might need it :rolleyes:

"Double Stone of Jas!" The new scam.

Can someone find a correlation to this? I'm very interested in this now.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

[hide]

[hide=]

word on the street is that bilrach is dead, apparently the dungeoneering "strange power" killed him, or his death is heavily implied

[/hide]

Heavily implied by what?

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Bilrach

[hide=quote]

Bilrach did not attend to 18th Ritual of Rejuvination. This suggests that he is either dead, or much weaker due to not getting rejuvinated. If you speak to Ali the Wise after the Ritual of the Mahjarrat, he will discuss the strange power that occurred before Dungeoneering was released. He will confirm that the strange power was "A case of the wrong Mahjarrat being in the wrong place at the wrong time.." and that it was "Such a waste of power."

In the quest Ritual of the Mahjarrat, when two other mahjarrat die, a similiar strange power occurs and lifts all humans present at the ritual. Ali the Wise also confirms this phenomenon, saying "When one of our kind dies, all that they were dissipates from their body."

-end quote-

So Bilrach finds what he's looking for in Daemonheim, but it is too powerful and it kills him (or he doesn't find it but something kills him anyway), this caused the strange power event and allowed us players to enter Daemonheim.

[/hide]

[/hide]

But how powerful would Bilrach have to have been when he died for his death to be felt so far away? Do any of the seers say anything about feeling the ritual like what they did about the opening of daemonheim?

And wasnt zaros's attempt to return to the world supposed to be kept quiet for now? So why did Azzandara start blasting away with god power and shouting zaros at the top of his lungs? Wouldn't that have tipped off the half dozen most powerful zammy followers and some of the stronger saradomin followers that something was up?

[hide]Because when rejuvenated he could take on entire armies by himself, Azzanadra is easily the stronegest of them. See zemourgal's notes: they were scared to free him even after he was imprisoned for more than 4-5 rituals. With him at this power level Zaros' rebirth cannot be stopped. Btw since when can a mahjarrat die from a simple wound? I thought they were kinda, immortal? (except for the ritual)[/hide]

[hide]I think it's safe to assume at this point that the dragonkin are not simply guardians of the Stone of Jas but something more. Their "rage" at its use, ability to sense who has used the stone, and track down its location (see Kethsi) suggests there is a strong, unique connection linking the two. Since we know the Stone is a powerful artifact that can give the user a number of abilities, it's not much of a stretch of the imagination that the dragonkin can call upon a vestige of that power and turn it against Lucien.

Besides Azzanadra, who was suggested to be immortal when he was sealed up in his pyramid, none of the Majharrat have that ability. After all, one of them has to be sacrificed to die at each ritual.[/hide]

[hide]The dragonkin get angry, more powerful and hurt when someone uses the Stone of Jas (besides Jas I suppose). Essentially they want to make the pain stop, so they kill whoever uses the Stone. It's possible that earlier users would face less powerful dragonkin. Saradomin, Zamorak and Guthix were probably powerful enough that they could escape the dragonkin. Also the dragonkin may actually allow gods to use the Stone, as they say Lucien isn't a god (after Lucien claims he is) and they call him a false user, though it's not clear if they mean he is a false user because he is a god.

[/hide]

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Can someone provide a suggested list of people we should talk to after completing this quest in order to get a better view of the big picture?

:unsure:

- and -

Anyone got a bead on where they're experiencing enhanced stats and how it correlates to the number they chose for the location of the Stone of Jas?

:mellow:

nyuseg.png