15-Sep-2011 - RuneScape Classic: The Final Countdown

The Observer

15-Sep-2011 - RuneScape Classic: The Final Countdown

Ten years after RuneScape Classic proudly opened its gates to adventurers, it seems a fitting time to close them to new players and look forward to the next ten years. So, for the next two weeks, RuneScape Classic will be fully open and available to members, before formally retiring for new players. You can log into RuneScape Classic, by clicking here.

Thats not to say that we will be removing RuneScape Classic completely: it will be available as usual to members who have previously logged into Classic during their adventuring career. So, even if you have a passing curiosity in RuneScape Classic, wed advise that you log in so that you can visit again at your leisure. Youll get access to a Classic Cape if you do, so theres a swish incentive for the undecided. To find out how to access the Classic Cape, click here.

Take a tour and youll find an old school version of RuneScape that has been surpassed in terms of graphics and content, but retains all of its original charm. Spot the difference between Classic and RuneScape, explore the original 50 quests, and trek across a world where Morytania was just a glimmer in the games designers eyes.

Mod Mark

BuHPa.gif

Also they made a developer blog: http://services.runescape.com/m=devblog/view_post.ws?post_id=128

j0xPu5R.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now the entire point of a classic cape is ruined. Good job Jagex.

I kind of share your feelings. Even though I'm not an original player, you're going to see them all over the place now. (Tbh, I'd be happier if they'd have just kept it for those who played it when it was out originally.)

Oh well, they did mention there was a 10 year cape coming out sometime (when the other achievement capes were released).

j0xPu5R.png

Buying all unids 700 each!!! :grin:

Classic was almost dead, reopening it every 6 months like they initially promised would give fresh air to it.

If you begin to play now and start with a main, there won't even be a chance to make a pure afterwards...

Kind of sad that they open it for the last time. RIP Runescape Classic. :unsure:

I regret wasting 50k on a cape that got ruined because of this update. I sometimes feel they don't care if they ruin the prestige of veteran status icons. I'm from the classic era (although it was in the late third of classic's life) so I felt like I am getting more prestige out of my yo-yo for time now than the classic cape since I joined 1-2 months after scythe.

Logged into classic for fun anyway, and it says I last logged in 670 days ago. :blink:

because its old and hardly anyone still bothers to play it with the fancy pixelly smoothness that is rs2?

i still prefer my dragons to look like cows tbh.

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

No it isn't. Before the classic cape was even introduced, Jagex said that they were going to open up the servers from time to time so new people could experience the game. Then when the cape released, they said newer people would be able to get it each time they opened up the servers.

It's amazing how elitist people can be in this game over simple capes.

Edit: They should change the description though. "See what the old 'wildy' was like" was added when Runescape still had the wilderness restrictions in RS2.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

because its old and hardly anyone still bothers to play it with the fancy pixelly smoothness that is rs2?

i still prefer my dragons to look like cows tbh.

That doesn't say anything about them not re-opening classic, as far as i know it doesn't cost them that much (rather say nothing because they do not support classic anymore and you have to be member to play it, but it could be server costs).

The fact that they don't say why they are not reopening it again is strange, that would be the first question someone would ask when reading that it is the last time.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I find it surprising that so many people care about a cape that does absolutely nothing except "show off" something that isn't even worth showing.

I, for one, find it fantastic that new players can get a taste of runescape's origins, with or without a silly cape to show for it.

AMEN! I've been around long enough and then some to have had the chance to log in and play RSC for years now. Just because I finally waited till today, does this mean that I should be punished? (Even though I have never had an interest in it and still don't doesn't mean I shouldn't have a shot at it.)

No it isn't. Before the classic cape was even introduced, Jagex said that they were going to open up the servers from time to time so new people could experience the game. Then when the cape released, they said newer people would be able to get it each time they opened up the servers.

It's amazing how elitist people can be in this game over simple *POINTLESS* capes.

Edit: They should change the description though. "See what the old 'wildy' was like" was added when Runescape still had the wilderness restrictions in RS2.

Amen, I love how everyone flips their lid like they are giving out free skill capes or something. Those two capes will still be one of the least worn capes in the game, not because that few people have them like max capes or anything...but just because their stats blow and people prefer stats and showing off over just showing off any day of the week.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

They still didn't say why it is the last time, did they?

Honestly, it would because no one plays it except when they re-open it. Also, they don't exactly make it easy to access for the people who can play it.

I got on RSC a few weeks ago on a weekend and there wasn't but 20-25 people total between all the servers.

There isn't much point in attempting to continue CPR on a dead person.

That being said, I always enjoyed classic when I played as it was what I played first; however, I found no point in playing after they wiped all the items from accounts in the move to RS2. If I was going to continue playing classic, I didn't want to have to start all over.

wessan.png

I find it surprising that so many people care about a cape that does absolutely nothing except "show off" something that isn't even worth showing.

I, for one, find it fantastic that new players can get a taste of runescape's origins, with or without a silly cape to show for it.

AMEN! I've been around long enough and then some to have had the chance to log in and play RSC for years now. Just because I finally waited till today, does this mean that I should be punished? (Even though I have never had an interest in it and still don't doesn't mean I shouldn't have a shot at it.)

It's amazing how elitist people can be in this game over simple *POINTLESS* capes.

Amen, I love how everyone flips their lid like they are giving out free skill capes or something. Those two capes will still be one of the least worn capes in the game, not because that few people have them like max capes or anything...but just because their stats blow and people prefer stats and showing off over just showing off any day of the week.

And this is why I hate the entitled. They don't seem to believe in any kind of "exclusive" content, or the like. Classic cape should, IMO, be only for those who played in the original RSC. You aren't being "punished", the cape has no stats. If everyone has the cape, it has no meaning. Remember the quote "Everyone will be special, and then no one is." You want everyone to be able to have a cape which does nothing outside of looks. You seem to forget that, if anyone is really "punished" its those who've stuck with the game for so long and are finally getting some notice for their loyalty. Its like a holiday reward, you aren't on, or don't do the activity, you don't get the COSMETIC reward. I hate entitled idiots.

People who didn't play RSC the first time around should not have, be able to, or ever get the cape. 'Nuf said.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

This is going to make more than a few of you who are nostalgia'ing feel bad, but has it occurred to you that 99% of the players will probably just log-in-log-out-buy-cape? If it entertains the newer players, why does it matter that it annoys a small minority? Your money's as good as theirs.

It doesn't really feel like they're doing it to "reexperience" classic. You don't see Sony opening up EQ1 when there's EQ2, do you? To me, it feels more like a good PR move - and one that will get them attention. BlahblahOHLOOKWEGOBACKTOGOODOLDDAYSOFGAMING. And people'll buy into it.

Is it sad? Yes. But recall once again the fact that Jagex is a company. They'll only keep you entertained and happy so you keep on shelling out 8$ a month or whatever the equivalent it is in your local currency.

So apparently I got the stats I had when I transferred to RS2 back on RSC.... Of course, bank is crap, but here we go...

rsc006.png

Apparently not everyone was as fortunate... Oh yea, last log in time was 2293 days ago. :blink: