Problems with the English language

Assume Nothing

As the title suggests - this thread is about the various issues the English language has. (Please move if it's in the incorrect section). I find it quite amusing that English is perhaps one of the most difficult languages to fully learn, as it seems so simple.

I hope you guys could come up with some humorous examples of how terribly wrong something could be interpreted.

Ambiguity:

Police helped dog bite victim.

They are hunting dogs.

Hole found in changing room wall; police are looking into it.

etc.

Do you think the English language needs some tweaking? Do you think there's a lack of words?

Post anything related to the English language here!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the irritating things I find is that when translating things from French or Latin into English, one word is translated into many words of English. Of course, this is the only real way to translate it, but I like it how in French/Latin that one word can mean so many things (Latin especially, what with the word endings). It's almost like.. in my head I know what it's saying, but if I think in English rather than 'thoughts' it still translates into many words. I dunno if that makes much sense :P

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

One thing that bugs me about english is the lack of distincton between to be as a permanent attribute of something vs. to be as a transitive status (not sure if that term exists).

For those who know spanish, what I'm trying to describe is "ser" vs. "estar".

16185_s.gif

I don't know why you find English being one of the most difficult languages to learn, since from my point of view it is one of the easiest to learn, it is so simple compared to a language like French.

Regarding the eggs, toast and orange juice thing. Wouldn't the one without the comma be, "I had eggs and toast and orange juice"?

Anyway I think the ambiguity in your examples can be solved by adding "a" and "the" in there. Surely they have this sort of problem with other languages? Idk, the only other language I speak is Punjabi and that's [bleep]ed up bro.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

What Halo said. English is notorious for its many quirks - and I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people saying "english is fine" on this thread have it as their first language.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

What Halo said. English is notorious for its many quirks - and I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people saying "english is fine" on this thread have it as their first language.

It took me one year to be fluent in English. I don't believe it's that hard.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Ambiguity:

Police helped dog bite victim.

They are hunting dogs.

Hole found in changing room wall; police are looking into it.

Not ambiguious:

Police helped a dog bite victim

They are searching for dogs.

Hole found in changing room wall; police are investigating it.

You just need to tweak your sentences, not the entire language. The same is true for Halo's post.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

we can make any noun ever a verb.

This language is the [cabbage].

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

And we call it "verbing" nouns. :shades:

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Fan out so we can all feel the fan.

Just chuck it in the fridge for me, would you Chuck?

This trope was lampshaded...

Hooking up with a hooker who has hooks for hands. (OHMYGODNIGHTMAREFUEL)

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

English is notorious for its many quirks - and I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people saying "english is fine" on this thread have it as their first language.

Yup. And I find it fun to speak a language that's so difficult. :) I wouldn't be for making it any easier, since I've gotten used to how hard it is.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

The main problem with the English language is all those unnecessary "u"s some people put into words. Just weird.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I guess now I know why so few English speaking people learn French, they think the English language is hard.

If this post offends anyone, just pm me.

Is the implication here that French is a hard language? It's not really. :3

I'd rather learn French than English any day.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I guess now I know why so few English speaking people learn French, they think the English language is hard.

If this post offends anyone, just pm me.

Is the implication here that French is a hard language? It's not really. :3

I'd rather learn French than English any day.

I didn't mean that French was a hard language, I find that English is easier. My first language is French yet I am better in English, which only took 6 months to learn and get fluent in it.