Rebuilding trust in the community?

codecRS

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read "Today we start to thrust into the community"

To be fair, this is probably a more accurate description of what Jagex is actually doing :lol:

Thrusting themselves into the arms of an unhappy, insane community of players? :blink:

And then we strangle them using our arms :lol:

I'm not sure if it was the smiley face or the text, but I busted out laughing. :D

Glad to make you do so :D

You mean you'll shake them warmly by the throat.

Come on now, it's not like we're trying to resuscitate Jagex. Although they are in desperate need of it :P

...meh, that one was weak >_>;

I would shake them warmly if I were trying to make love to them, not kill them :P

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

To be fair, this is probably a more accurate description of what Jagex is actually doing :lol:

Thrusting themselves into the arms of an unhappy, insane community of players? :blink:

And then we strangle them using our arms :lol:

I say we let the Russians at them. They are masters of pain!

I'm not sure if it was the smiley face or the text, but I busted out laughing. :D

Glad to make you do so :D

You mean you'll shake them warmly by the throat.

Come on now, it's not like we're trying to resuscitate Jagex. Although they are in desperate need of it :P

Turnpikes.png

Now now, strangling them WON'T let them work to gain our trust any faster. :shame: :P Let's just hope we see some positive results in the near future.

Now now, strangling them WON'T let them work to gain our trust any faster. :shame: :P Let's just hope we see some positive results in the near future.

Yeah lol. I hope so too.

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

Er...

The only time a major MMO company ever needed to regain their player's trust is SONY's Star Wars Galaxies Online.

... That game is now shutting down in December.

See, another perspective, and one that isn't nearly so pretty, would be one that implies player trust is at stake. If Jagex suddenly did something drastic - perhaps removing free trade or something on a similar scale back in the day - then it does make sense for them to "prep" the community.

Rebuilding implies that it's already been destroyed in the eyes of the players, so I'm not sure I exactly agree...but it gives me the chills to think about :(

Well, at least Jagex realizes they have to do something about it. Then again, going by Blyaunte's comment, it's as if they didn't care before now. >.> I wouldn't be surprised if this was yet another short-term PR stunt.

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

Somehow -- I don't think it's our arms that they've been thrusting into ... :unsure:

nyuseg.png

Somehow -- I don't think it's our arms that they've been thrusting into ... :unsure:

lmao. This is the point I was making. You worded it better though :D

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

Off Topic: Oh god... what did I start... #-o :lol:

On Topic: I wouldn't go so far as to say the community is destroyed, decimated, etc. but badly damaged from years of neglect, misunderstanding, miscommunications, etc. :wall: And maybe, just maybe, someone finally has the guts to try to address it.

At least they're admitting there is a problem, indirectly anyway.

On Topic: I wouldn't go so far as to say the community is destroyed, decimated, etc. but badly damaged from years of neglect, misunderstanding, miscommunications, etc. :wall: And maybe, just maybe, someone finally has the guts to try to address it.

"Indirectly" is probably the most apt description.

Thing is though, if they're not being part of the solution, then they're really just another part of the problem.

Acknowledging that there "may be a problem" (Really? What was his first clue? Did his Spider-senses tingle?) is a mere snow-flake as compared to the pending avalanche of general distrust, dissatisfaction and disgruntlement (Alliteration! FTW!) amongst the "community" at large.

Sadly, it seems that, for the most part, the only "community" that Jagex appears to listen to are the pmods and the maxed players who, sadly, are likewise going to be amongst the majority of people attending Runefest – so I am, again, somewhat doubtful that we're going to see or hear much from THAT venue with respect to "rebuilding trust" – nor do I suspect that they intend to really pay much attention to what is being said outside of that relatively small circle of influence.

As pointed out back in early February – after Jagex brought back the Wildy and Free-Trade – I asked then if anyone had a feeling that, at that time, Runescape had "jumped the shark". After that "update", they followed up with six months of rather disappointing "updates", culminating in the disastrous "smithing re-vamp" Artisan's Workshop and the PillarSalt in the Wound quest.

... and as much as I liked them – even the last two quests "Branches of Darkmeyer" and "Ritual of the Mahjarrat", while decent, are no "While Guthix Sleeps" in terms of quality quest material. Really.

Meanwhile, the bots run amok, unabated – like locusts – piling over on every possible resource within the game, and they're growing in number and spreading to even more areas within the game.

... and a few days ago someone said that they're going to "rebuild trust in the community" ...

Which community? The immediate small circle of pmods and maxed players that they speak to regularly? The locals living in and around London who can make it to Runefest? The massive horde of bots that really don't care?

Or will they really come and talk us?

Frankly – I think the "thrust in the community" is the most likely outcome ...

I just hope I get a kiss, first. :unsure:

nyuseg.png

Time to be the Stormcrow.

EDIT: Please note: I am not picking on you. You simply express valid opinions that I feel a strong affinity to respond to. I was once in your shoes expressing similar opinions about games that I liked. :P I was actively involved in administration, both for the game and the player community. Then I figured out some things, and I'm here now.

Acknowledging that there "may be a problem" (Really? What was his first clue? Did his Spider-senses tingle?) is a mere snow-flake as compared to the pending avalanche of general distrust, dissatisfaction and disgruntlement (Alliteration! FTW!) amongst the "community" at large.

Compare the number of individuals who participate in forum interaction and the number of players. You'll find the same handful of players posting nearly repetitively in all areas. All in all, there may be a thousand regular posters on the official forums, if even that. Again. You are the vocal minority who believe that they are the majority. You're not being listened to because there isn't enough of you. Compare the size of this community (this means all the big fansites + official forums) to say, LOTRO or EVE, which has some of the biggest degrees of player participation I've ever seen, and you'll see what I mean.

Especially EVE's intergalactic senate. That's probably one of the best instances I've seen where player decisionmaking actually matters.

Also. Forgot to mention. You're all sort of scattered about. There's what, Zybez? RuneHQ? Sal's Realm? This one? The Wiki? I think most players probably only post in one at the most. Runescape's 'community' has little to no organization. If you want to shore up and show Jagex what it's about, get organized. As in, more organized than silly riots or one person bumping a thread until oblivion comes.

The point I'm trying to make is simple. If you wish to create impact, either get more of you, or do something high profile. Dressing up like a combat bot and crash Runefest (the idea you had) is a great idea if you won't get arrested for it. If enough people respond, Jagex may be forced to something.

If.

Sadly, it seems that, for the most part, the only "community" that Jagex appears to listen to are the pmods and the maxed players who, sadly, are likewise going to be amongst the majority of people attending Runefest – so I am, again, somewhat doubtful that we're going to see or hear much from THAT venue with respect to "rebuilding trust" – nor do I suspect that they intend to really pay much attention to what is being said outside of that relatively small circle of influence.

PR trick is good PR trick.

"Indirectly" is probably the most apt description.

Thing is though, if they're not being part of the solution, then they're really just another part of the problem.

Sadly, it seems that, for the most part, the only "community" that Jagex appears to listen to are the pmods and the maxed players who, sadly, are likewise going to be amongst the majority of people attending Runefest so I am, again, somewhat doubtful that we're going to see or hear much from THAT venue with respect to "rebuilding trust" nor do I suspect that they intend to really pay much attention to what is being said outside of that relatively small circle of influence.

As pointed out back in early February after Jagex brought back the Wildy and Free-Trade I asked then if anyone had a feeling that, at that time, Runescape had "jumped the shark". After that "update", they followed up with six months of rather disappointing "updates", culminating in the disastrous "smithing re-vamp" Artisan's Workshop and the PillarSalt in the Wound quest.

... and as much as I liked them even the last two quests "Branches of Darkmeyer" and "Ritual of the Mahjarrat", while decent, are no "While Guthix Sleeps" in terms of quality quest material. Really.

Meanwhile, the bots run amok, unabated like locusts piling over on every possible resource within the game, and they're growing in number and spreading to even more areas within the game.

... and a few days ago someone said that they're going to "rebuild trust in the community" ...

Which community? The immediate small circle of pmods and maxed players that they speak to regularly? The locals living in and around London who can make it to Runefest? The massive horde of bots that really don't care?

Or will they really come and talk us?

Frankly I think the "thrust in the community" is the most likely outcome ...

I just hope I get a kiss, first. :unsure:

If you go to RuneFest, you'll probably get the equivalent of dinner and a movie first ;)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

LOOK OUT FOX! IT'S A TRAP! DO A BARREL ROLL!

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

In regards to listening to the player moderators: This I can see as somewhat true. I say somewhat because the bot problem has been addressed by them over and over and over and over and over.... And we're still seeing problems, more worse than before. When the censor changes were made (i.e. giving the option to turn it off), that was surprise for a lot of player moderators and caused quite a discussion, although thankfully the situation didn't turn as bad as some had thought it would.

I don't think a majority of the people going to Runefest are player mods though, rather I think it'd be more fair to say that the majority of people going to Runefest are those who are local/close enough to go there without denting their bank accounts/have enough saved up to go for a quick vacation anyway/invited by Jagex themselves.

But the crowd will be small compared to how big the community is and just how many problems we have. We can't assume that all those going to RF have the same mindset on what's going on in the game. I think it's safe to say that among those going to the session on bots, there will probably be people who create and run bots too that want to hear what Jagex is going to do to the and start planning ahead.

I think they have already acknowledged there is a problem in that tweet, but not what specifically (since regaining trust could mean a number of things when it comes to what aspect of the game we're talking about). They just have not shown us any strong vocal actions against it yet that we can see.

If I was still optimistic/naive about jagex, I would probably have said that "it's a good first step that jagex are admitting to this."

But now, I have no real expectations. Jagex has just been nothing but disappointing since the investor takeover - there is nothing but empty talk and pretty open tolerance to cheaters. Nothing but more propaganda to throw at us.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Rebuilding implies that it's already been destroyed in the eyes of the players, so I'm not sure I exactly agree...but it gives me the chills to think about :(

Technically not true. Rebuilding means making changes, repairs, etc. Trust was damaged, or is being damaged, etc but I don't think trust has been compltly destroyed. Then again, if Jagex wants to show they think this game has a future, they need to start changing things, bots, customer support, etc.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

"Sadly, it seems that, for the most part, the only "community" that Jagex appears to listen to are the pmods and the maxed players who, sadly, are likewise going to be amongst the majority of people attending Runefest " Blyaunte

That's bushlit! I've actually been to RuneFest and I can tell you that the pmods and maxed players are very much a minority. The VAST majority of people there are just regular players.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

• 1 month later...

Mod Baker is the latest one we should trust.

He was the one who fired Mod Moonie (the latest Dutch J-mod), he was the one who made several other J-mods angry and sad.

He fired Mod Katie (a polish J-mod) he also fired a J-mod from Norway.

Also: He first achieved 99 cooking (cheap tnx to bots) and now he's probably goïng for woodcutting (and finds some bots and suddenly he does ban them?).

I'm sorry, but to me it just seems like he's playing knowing everything beforehand.

He's really one of the silliest j-mods out there.

He was the one who fired Mod Moonie (the latest Dutch J-mod), he was the one who made several other J-mods angry and sad.

Also: He first achieved 99 cooking (cheap tnx to bots) and now he's probably goïng for woodcutting (and finds some bots and suddenly he does ban them?).

I'm sorry, but to me it just seems like he's playing knowing everything beforehand.

Huh?

Huh?

Ask around in the Dutch community on the RSOF, most people out there know the facts ;).

Ask about what happened to Mod Moonie, Mod Petal, Mod Katherina, ask what Mod Aiko said about it and what his opinion is, ask what Mod Max W said about it and so on and on and on ;).

Actually there isn't even any Dutch J-mod out there any more, so only Dutch F-mods (who aren't that trustfull either btw but that's a diffrend story) will answer or normal players.

277-278-43-62890850 you can read a bit of info as well.

And the Dutch F-mods are the ones who hide our posts if we ask too much about it, they actually still support everything Jagex does and did.