What If Jagex Allowed Players to Pay GP to Upkeep Citadels?

NukeMarine

I"d rather not see a GP option, or if there was one have it equate to 3m+ gp/h. If it was less than this I could see many who would rather make money than skill using the gp option, reducing the time players spend in the citadel.

As for the poll I voted "no impact" as it wouldn't increase the usefulness/uselessness of the citadels and therefore wouldn't increase the time players spend there. Whats the point of 50 people paying 'x' m/week to upkeep a T7 citadel? I highly doubt they'd use it for much.

Really don't like how that was worded "...as most players would not pay". No need to give a specific reason for one of the three options of the poll.

It's a good idea, and one I've mulled over myself. The option to pay gp for resources (up to your resource cap) would encourage more people to contribute to their clan's citadel. It takes how long to get your week's resources? An hour and half, two? This is time spent each week on something that's, let's face it, a very click intensive grind for something that's low exp/hour and 0 gp/hour with no tangible benefit. This is something that, not surprisingly, some people don't find fun and end up not contributing at all to the citadel.

I first thought that such a system would be like you pay x amount of gp for 1 resource, but previous posts bring up another good scenario. Let's take clanmate A, he's wealthy and detests the turn brain on autopilot session that resource gathering is. Instead of doing that or even worse, turning his back on the clan by not contributing, he can go to the clan quartermaster. There he can put a work order in that any other clanmate can fill. For this example let's say the cost of putting in the work order is 300k per 100 resources. Clanmate A can put in as many work orders up to the resource cap. This is where clanmate B comes in, he could be wealthy or not so much, doesn't really matter. However, unlike clanmate A, clanmate B can't get enough of gathering resources for the citadel and is even sad when he caps his resources contribution. When he reaches his cap, he can make a visit to the quartermaster and is now qualified to accept work orders. He can only take on 1 at a time, so each time he gets 100 resources he has to go get another. Each work filled is rewarded with the princely sum of 200k (wonder what that sneaky quartermaster is doing with that extra 100k :P). Qualified clanmates (those that have capped their own resources by gathering) have no limit on how many work orders they can fill.

Work orders are a terrible idea. The reason behind having resource caps are so more than a handful of people are needed to skill there. Having work orders would remove any need for the resource cap.

I can see that this could make it so that only a handful of people actually need to do the skilling, but I don't see that as an inherently bad thing. These people would be rewarded for their contribution to the clan above and beyond what is asked of them for the week, and people that don't want to do this aren't bothered as long as their work orders are filled. As for work orders removing the need for the resource cap, I disagree. People could only post work orders until their resource cap is met (a tier 1 storage giving 1k cap, meaning 10 work orders). People can only take work orders after they capped their own resources purely through their own skilling and could only take work orders if one of their clanmates posted one.

I see other positives to this system as well. Established players can help out newer players in their clan with this system. The newer players that don't normally make money as fast would end up being given money by the established players without it actually being charity. We were all new players at one point, one of the biggest concerns was "how can we afford anything?" I even get asked by players over 100 combat how to make money. If this system allows such players an accessible source of income, that could mean fewer beggers and fewer people tempted to real world trade. Unless some undeniable drawbacks to this system are brought to light, I see the positives outweighing the negatives.

Instead of going through all that trouble why not instead have a clan resource cap, then if a clan decides they want to pay newer members/players to collect more all the power to them. The theory itself (paying others to work for you) goes directly against Jagex's reasoning behind a storehouse and individual resource caps "Each individual has a resource cap. This is to limit the amount of work any one individual can do for their clan, so that the load is spread across all clanmates." (http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/clan_citadel_production_area). I suppose that paying gp for the work orders could be considered spreading the load, but I disagree. Making gp is quite easy therefore I hardly consider paying others for it anything close to work.

When it comes to helping newer members in my clan I often take them to GWD, corp, TD's to give them a chance at some quick cash. It doesn't all have to be about direct cash or max exp/h. Many clans enjoy some community building and helping others by doing things with them rather than just giving them money or paying them for mundane skilling.

If the work order idea was to be implemented I'd suggest work orders being around 400-500 resources. It takes no time to get 100 and would result in so much running back and forth to the quartermaster it'd be worse than the skilling there. And a minor concern with the idea is what happens to unfinished work orders? Would the middleman just pocket the gp and laugh? :P

Neltak.png

If the work order idea was to be implemented I'd suggest work orders being around 400-500 resources. It takes no time to get 100 and would result in so much running back and forth to the quartermaster it'd be worse than the skilling there. And a minor concern with the idea is what happens to unfinished work orders? Would the middleman just pocket the gp and laugh? :P

Could simply have the quartermaster hold onto the gp and return it when you go and talk to him if the order has expire/you want to remove it, in the same way npcs will return quest items if you destroy them.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

no clans use citadels because it doesn't give anything useful

As an Admin of a growing 70-man clan with a citadel soon to get into Tier 5, I can say with confidence that this isn't true. Citadels are really quite fun for socially-minded clan.

I don't think that this idea is very good. To paraphrase Yahtzee, the difference between a good long lived game and a game that gets boring quickly is that the former is a responsible parent and makes you work for your creations, and that's what makes it all the more enjoyable. I think that the biggest improvement for the least amount of work would be to make the Woodcutting patches more interesting and a bit faster. Perhaps using agility to move from root to root quicker would be more interesting.

Thats impressive! I'm administrating the Citadel of our 215 members clan, and we still havent got enough Wood to get T4. 70 people and T5 is very good...

We are a Slayer clan, so that might have something to do with it, not the biggest skillers...

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

no clans use citadels because it doesn't give anything useful

As an Admin of a growing 70-man clan with a citadel soon to get into Tier 5, I can say with confidence that this isn't true. Citadels are really quite fun for socially-minded clan.

I don't think that this idea is very good. To paraphrase Yahtzee, the difference between a good long lived game and a game that gets boring quickly is that the former is a responsible parent and makes you work for your creations, and that's what makes it all the more enjoyable. I think that the biggest improvement for the least amount of work would be to make the Woodcutting patches more interesting and a bit faster. Perhaps using agility to move from root to root quicker would be more interesting.

Thats impressive! I'm administrating the Citadel of our 215 members clan, and we still havent got enough Wood to get T4. 70 people and T5 is very good...

We are a Slayer clan, so that might have something to do with it, not the biggest skillers...

It depends on activity levels really, my clan is on 55 members atm (and growing slowly) and we are stuck at t3 (just got it this week) cause we only get 15 - 17 up a week and even then many just pop up for body count and do naff all. What doesn't help clans I find is the people with silly logic:

We have a few who want the summon plot, yet they won't do wc & mine (and soon to be smith and fm) as they don't want tht xp; but they don't see by NOT doing them skills they are only delaying themselves in getting the plot they want.

Where we need more of the mindset of if I want summon plot I need to put the effort in with these other skills to get us there faster.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Wow thats a horrible idea, why is this poll even getting a positive response? :o

Because gathering resources in the citadels sucks and there are a number of people that would rather do anything than that?

"Duty, then, is the sublimest word in the English language. If I do my full duty, the rest will take care of itself." ~ Robert E. Lee

gz_sijan.png

Because gathering resources in the citadels sucks and there are a number of people that would rather do anything than that?

"Duty, then, is the sublimest word in the English language. If I do my full duty, the rest will take care of itself." ~ Robert E. Lee

Who else finds this ironic?

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

In my opinion Jagex should just eliminate upkeep altogether.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Well, since it's fairly divided on like/don't like I guess the next question is:

How much should one pay for 10 minutes of effort?

10k gp

25k gp

50k gp

100k gp

250k gp

500k gp

I think I'll add this to the poll.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Wow thats a horrible idea, why is this poll even getting a positive response? :o

Thats pretty much the same as microtransactions to me, giving the wealthy the upper hand and devaluing everyone elses work. No, just no.

I think the idea was to pay gp, not irl monies.

Goals for 2012:

• Quest Cape
  • MAX

No pain, no gain. They shouldn't be a free ride, no matter what. Your getting an opportunity to skill with friends in your clan, getting free XP, to boot. Hard work and dedication pays off.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

This idea is just awful. I would like to see either larger caps or the ability to transfer your cap though, as a lot of people have just given up. Maybe if you max out a week, you get an extra 200 for the next week or something like that.

I really like that extra 200 (even 100 would be alright) for the next week idea. It would also make T7 Citadel possible for smaller, dedicated clans to achieve.

Neltak.png

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my account back. Anyway, yes, this would be a great moneysink. Too bad bots bring in insane amount of GP causing constant inflation. Big reason I don't think Jagex should have a set price on 10 minutes since that price will mean something entirely different 1 to 2 years from now.

Somebody else mentioned on another forum that using other items from various minigames as payment could also be a good idea (castle war tickets, temple trekking coins, soul wars clay, etc.). Seems reasonable in that you're trading what represents effort in the game.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

No pain, no gain. They shouldn't be a free ride, no matter what. Your getting an opportunity to skill with friends in your clan, getting free XP, to boot. Hard work and dedication pays off.

Please. No pain, no gain. Guess what? There is no gain. The skilling exp isn't free, it costs time. Time you could probably use to gain more exp in a more efficient method, not to mention a less grindy method - higher levels of WC/Mining, which are the first two resources, are far more AFK-able and I'm pretty sure give more exp/h then the citadel

The social aspect should be discarded imho, since you could just as well do an event with your friends that provides a much more tangible reward then the citadel, or one that requires far less effort.

Frankly the way I see it, I support this. Why? Not because I think money should be a way out of citadel work, but because the current system sucks. Maybe some social clans have fun in there, but there are a significant amount of players who don't work on the citadel because it isn't worth it. Imo, Jagex either needs to make it worth it or make it easier to do. Paying money makes it easier to do. Hence my support. I'd just as quickly support changing the citadels so they only take like 15 minutes of work or giving some sort of good exp lamp if you max out (and perhaps lower the citadel exp rates to compensate.) Or I'd support making the citadels actually useful in some way.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Please. No pain, no gain. Guess what? There is no gain. The skilling exp isn't free, it costs time. Time you could probably use to gain more exp in a more efficient method, not to mention a less grindy method - higher levels of WC/Mining, which are the first two resources, are far more AFK-able and I'm pretty sure give more exp/h then the citadel

The social aspect should be discarded imho, since you could just as well do an event with your friends that provides a much more tangible reward then the citadel, or one that requires far less effort.

Frankly the way I see it, I support this. Why? Not because I think money should be a way out of citadel work, but because the current system sucks. Maybe some social clans have fun in there, but there are a significant amount of players who don't work on the citadel because it isn't worth it. Imo, Jagex either needs to make it worth it or make it easier to do. Paying money makes it easier to do. Hence my support. I'd just as quickly support changing the citadels so they only take like 15 minutes of work or giving some sort of good exp lamp if you max out (and perhaps lower the citadel exp rates to compensate.) Or I'd support making the citadels actually useful in some way.

There's gain by way of XP that comes free, and the chance to skill with friends, with a community. Knowing that you and your friends have kept working and achieved a Tier 7 Citadel, with the best possible upgrades. That, in itself, is an achievement. That's a huge gain.

Crafting offers a rather hefty amount of XP with the loom, too.

Over 250k XP if you only do crafting.

I know with the Citadel I'm training skills I wouldn't normally touch. I'm happy with that, very happy. I've gained 3 mining levels since the release of the Citadel. Mining is a skill I hadn't touched in probably two years.

Each to their own, I guess.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

There's gain by way of XP that comes free, and the chance to skill with friends, with a community. Knowing that you and your friends have kept working and achieved a Tier 7 Citadel, with the best possible upgrades. That, in itself, is an achievement. That's a huge gain.

Crafting offers a rather hefty amount of XP with the loom, too.

Over 250k XP if you only do crafting.

I know with the Citadel I'm training skills I wouldn't normally touch. I'm happy with that, very happy. I've gained 3 mining levels since the release of the Citadel. Mining is a skill I hadn't touched in probably two years.

Each to their own, I guess.

Exp does not come free. Exp comes at the cost of time and effort. My current clan citadel hasn't had much work on it and only has mining/WC available. If I wanted to train mining/WC I'd do ivies/lava flow mine/LRC. Much less constant attention required.

I can't deny having a T7 citadel as an accomplishment. I was going to say that players seek rewards which affect them positively in other areas of the game, but then I realized that most skillcapes aren't useful outside of showing off, which at most leaves me with saying that clans with T7 citadels should have special capes or something.

What I am curious about is the amount of clans that actually succeed in getting a higher level citadel VS clans that get stuck or even let the citadel fall to that disrepair state because members decide it isn't worth it. As much as I'd like to say that citadels are a failure because a large amount of clans don't bother with them because they aren't worth it, I have absolutely no way of knowing that.

I still think we either need an easier way to level the citadel or more reward for the work we put in. But perhaps that's taking away from what citadels are supposed to be, an epic landscape for your clan to claim as their own and work on to improve for the sake of improving it.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Our clan (Of just 141 members or so) has Tier 5 currently, as any other clan that has kept on top of its resources. Most people have been participating, and enjoy the social aspect of it. I'd wish it was more AFKable, so I could talk more...But sadly it's not, but I'm not that bothered by it.

I have plenty of money that I could buy XP with outside of the citadel, I could train Mining in the most efficient way possible. But I don't. I hate mining with a passion. But when I know that when I mine, I benefit everyone...It keeps me going. It makes me want to do it.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

To be frankly honest, I was hoping Citadels would be a nice money draining black hole when they were first mentioned.

That's my only reason for really supporting this, even though I think the Citadel thing wasn't worth it due to the system of upkeep it has now.

I don't mind the time spent, but I really dislike the fact that the woodcutting isn't more automatic. It already takes a fairly long time to max out resources when doing woodcutting, and small clans simply do not have the chance. I know that I haven't done citadel resources in a while because it's so expensive.

I would suggest allowing money to be spent to increase the rate at which you get resources, or spent for some parts, but not completely.

I don't want to see citadels become "who has the most money", but I wouldn't mind being able to spend some coin to make it easier.

Possibly a limit to the total percentage of resources can be bouht with GP.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Our clan (Of just 141 members or so) has Tier 5 currently, as any other clan that has kept on top of its resources. Most people have been participating, and enjoy the social aspect of it. I'd wish it was more AFKable, so I could talk more...But sadly it's not, but I'm not that bothered by it.

I have plenty of money that I could buy XP with outside of the citadel, I could train Mining in the most efficient way possible. But I don't. I hate mining with a passion. But when I know that when I mine, I benefit everyone...It keeps me going. It makes me want to do it.

And if people were able to pay for upkeep, then you would still be able to mine and benefit the rest of your clan. It doesn't take away from that aspect.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png