Tip.It Times - 2nd October 2011

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I totally disagree with the "If I Had to be a Noob Again, I'd Say No" article. Particularly for the reasons the author gave. If RS hadn't made me run around all over the map to achieve new tasks it would have taken me forever to find my way around, It is likely there would have been places I wouldn't even have visited. Look at the quest "One Small Favour", anyone who knows that quest will remember the painful experience of having to tele/run to every conceivable spot in RS! The RS creators are aware that people need to be encouraged to explore, not everyone does it naturally. :P

35cq0q9.png

I'm on a shorter schedule this Sunday than I'd like to be, but I read through the third article. Very well written. It doesn't provoke any new thoughts in my mind, as we all grow out of our sense of euphoria of any game, but it serves as a reminder that there will be a time to leave RuneScape.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

What an interesting last article. Is death supposed to be a metaphor for diminished passion or something? :P

I'm on a shorter schedule this Sunday than I'd like to be, but I read through the third article. Very well written. It doesn't provoke any new thoughts in my mind, as we all grow out of our sense of euphoria of any game, but it serves as a reminder that there will be a time to leave RuneScape.

Definitely, there will be a time to leave RuneScape. I thought the article was speaking more toward renewing a person's love for the game though, since he talked about 'choices' and all.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

If I had to be a noob, and forget everything I know about the game, I'd accept in an instant. Too many neurons dedicated to keeping game info.

I'd love to forget everything I know about the game, and start over in '05 RS. Not actually go back in time, but play on a server to hopefully relive similar memories to the first ones I have <3:

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

What an interesting last article. Is death supposed to be a metaphor for diminished passion or something? :P

Definitely, there will be a time to leave RuneScape. I thought the article was speaking more toward renewing a person's love for the game though, since he talked about 'choices' and all.

I took the 3rd article to be about choices too, yes you can leave the game after losing some of that initial euphoria or you can re-stimulate your interest. I have almost despaired of the lethargic and complacent attitude some people appear to have had recently towards the game and Jagex. Everyone seems to want Jagex to fix everything, change the game, change their attitudes, change the style of play, change the map, change F2P to P2P without paying, change CB, quests etc, etc, etc. It was good to see someone attempt to address this albeit in a roundabout way and full of metaphors :grin:

35cq0q9.png

A strong NO versus the suggestions made in the end of the first article: discovering the world is a big part of the game..

The gnomes with "their army" are simply a "logical" place to train agility. I still remember clearly my first day in members, I set a goal for myself: I want to train agility so I don't have to walk all the time. And I started walking towards that far north east corner.

Whenever I saw somethign I went to test it out: quests, new monsters etc etc. This gave me a good overview of many quests, and how runescape works.

Herblore & summoning starts with the druids. Hunting in the jungle areas.. Etc etc

And even on the f2p world, it would be very dull if everythign was crammed together in a big "open" space. Really travelling, discovering, and learning are all basic things of an RPG. I also remember the very first day of playing rs: I died 3 times being "lured" into the wilderness. Well 2 times I was lured.. The third time I met someone else of lv 7(!) and we walked around rs.. Saw an impressive foe right there at barbarian village. (And I remember really gettin frightened those barbarians would focus me and ko me).. And ran (accidently) into wilderness..

Those things are all learning, the second day I decided to go more "in focus". I saw that I needed armour, and looked up how to make armour: smithing.. But then I need ores? - Well let's look where I can mine..... *walks*.. Hey here south of falador I can mine decently good, let's stick here to lv 20.. *grinds*.

Really rs is very easy to learn & understand with basic knowlenge. Now what is the big step is between being very fast levels (first 30) and having to get higher then: you suddenly need to participate in player interaction. THIS is a big step, "what is a valuable price?" - "how to ever get that cash" - "wow I need to spent much time, but what is best to do?"

The solutions presented here won't fix above problems, and only make rs more dull & more grindy actually. Variety makes grinding less of a "feel like grinding".

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

About the "If I Had to be a Noob Again, I'd Say No" article: RuneScape isn't like other games, it doesn't have a starting area, and for the most part areas of the game aren't reserved for high level or low level content. You can go where ever you want and do what you want, and explore. Jagex tried to make Lumbridge a noob haven when they introduced the skill tutors, and guess what happened, it didn't work. Lumbridge is nice, but eventually everyone wants to move on, and that should really be sooner rather than later. If we encourage noobs to never leave Lumbride, they may never get a taste for exploring and quit.

About the "If I Had to be a Noob Again, I'd Say No" article: RuneScape isn't like other games, it doesn't have a starting area, and for the most part areas of the game aren't reserved for high level or low level content.

Lumbridge is the starting area, at least on F2P anyway. You can train any skill in a very short distance from the home teleport. These aren't the most efficient methods of training, which is why few high levels train in Lumbridge.

You can go where ever you want and do what you want, and explore. Jagex tried to make Lumbridge a noob haven when they introduced the skill tutors, and guess what happened, it didn't work. Lumbridge is nice, but eventually everyone wants to move on, and that should really be sooner rather than later. If we encourage noobs to never leave Lumbride, they may never get a taste for exploring and quit.

I'm not looking to put the entire game in one spot, just the beginning of the game in one spot. Obviously if all the best training was in one spot, no one would leave. The beauty of quests are that you can force a player to go anywhere, but starting the basic quests in far away locations doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

About "If I Had to be a Noob Again, I'd Say No": I agree that there's an unnecessary difficulty with the beginning game, but don't think its in the locations of different activities. I think its good that various skills start in places other than around lumbridge and would instead say that the problem stems from the newbs being newbs and not knowing about the various transport methods. Perhaps giving new players a single dueling ring or, similar to your suggestion, providing a very easy quest with one or two teleport items as rewards would be a good idea.

Just going off my experience...I was pissed when I found I could teleport with items.

Neltak.png

all i can say to the last article is; No my adventure is not over.

it was oddly reinvigorating, i don't really know why but i know what i want to do now.

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

all i can say to the last article is; No my adventure is not over.

Then onward with your journey, stranger, wherever it may take you.

I took the 3rd article to be about choices too, yes you can leave the game after losing some of that initial euphoria or you can re-stimulate your interest.

Then choose. Dillydally all day and Big Dee will come for you, for sure and certain.

Is death supposed to be a metaphor for diminished passion or something?

Are your bones in the wilderness supposed to symbolize your departure from this mortal plane into a parallel dimension?

It doesn't provoke any new thoughts in my mind, as we all grow out of our sense of euphoria of any game, but it serves as a reminder that there will be a time to leave RuneScape.

Fare you ever well, stranger. Godspeed in all your adventures in other realms.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

I took the 3rd article to be about choices too, yes you can leave the game after losing some of that initial euphoria or you can re-stimulate your interest. I have almost despaired of the lethargic and complacent attitude some people appear to have had recently towards the game and Jagex. Everyone seems to want Jagex to fix everything, change the game, change their attitudes, change the style of play, change the map, change F2P to P2P without paying, change CB, quests etc, etc, etc. It was good to see someone attempt to address this albeit in a roundabout way and full of metaphors :grin:

Jagex had a good product a year and a half ago. I didnt end my adventure because I was bored, couldnt afford it or didnt have time anymore; I ended it because I no longer cared for the end product Jagex was marketing. If they rolled everything back to March 2010 and had the foresight to not make the bad decisions they have made since that time, Id re-up in a heartbeat.

Not holding my breath for that to happen - but the point I am making is that Jagex changed its product and alienated many of its early adopters. We didnt get tired of playing - we got tired of the goal posts moving. Our adventure ended because Jagex took it away; not because we tired of it.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

We didnt get tired of playing - we got tired of the goal posts moving. Our adventure ended because Jagex took it away; not because we tired of it.

The gods of this realm are gone on a plane you cannot reach, and the new gods care not for the likes of you.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

For once, I actually read the Times (Articles 1 and 2).

I was quite interested. I liked Article 1, mainly because I didn't like being a "noob (new-comer)" to the RuneScape world. Everything starts to get "easier" from the beginning. More money, more experience, better armor/skills, etc. It feel better when you have "status" (like senority in highschool). And the new ideas stated? Not bad really. Not bad at all.. :thumbup:

Article 2 was pretty cool. I think that would be really, really cool. It almost makes you feel "better" about grinding and gaining exp.

Nani mo dekinai

Chanto dekinai

Sore ga dou shita?

Bokura wa wakai'n da

Nanimo dekinai

Sugu ni dekinai

Dakara bokura ni kanou sei ga aru'n da

~AKB48

I wouldn't like to be a noob again but I remember being one and especially a P2P one.

I remember it being very exciting and loving to explore, so on that front I would disagree, I think that players should be 'forced' to travel around and see what there is. I actually think a 'One Small Favour' type quest would be a good thing to start off with but perhaps with an item that teleports you near the location but still requires running about, etc.

I love the fact that the Herblore and Summoning quests are just through that gate north of Fally. It was so cool, after being F2P for some time, being able to go through that gate and do the quest for Herblore (was P2P when Summoning came out). Then travelling to the Gnome Stronghold as Agility seemed so exciting then and to be able to use shortcuts!

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

I enjoyed finding the Gnome Stronghold. I wouldn't like all the stuff to be dragged back to Lumbridge-in any case, there are most facilities (barring hunter, herblore, summoning) in Lumbridge and Draynor anyway.

As for the second article: something of note is that at a particular point in the Japan crisis I've heard they didn't so much need more donations as more focused aid. In any case, if Jagex ever was to do a charity initiative I'd much rather they gave well (givewell.org) rather than gave blindly.

Oh, and Jagex giving to charity wouldn't make me more likely to buy their membership. I actually don't think I'd care, call me insensitive if you will.

I'm not an efficienado.

re: "if I had to be a noob again"

I think personally I got the most out of doing the quests which were available to a noob of my level. One thing I liked about the quests was the fact that they opened up previously unexplored areas of Gielenor and gave me more knowledge of the game. I tried to level to do more quests and consequently I was rewarded with more knowledge and experience. In some cases. like farming for example, I remember reaching level 27 or 29 without ever planting a seed, just by completing all the relevant quests. Crazy to restrict everything to Lumby, you will never see the 'world' and if you need to tele' then get the next magic level, that's the incentive.

Anyway, I think if i was hacked or banned, I'd never start again. The thrill of discovery is / was part of the fun. I could never go back. Having said that, the thrill is still there and there are lots of things I've yet to try.

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

The first article was interesting, but as a newbie who recently got back into the game, I believe that RS is designed very well for new players. New players, that is, who are not looking for a quick and cheap road to achievement. Players looking for the quick fix and cheat codes, as many of the current generation of younger gamers are on console games, are going to find this a tough slog. Once a player understands that RS is a game for the long-haul, however, and takes the time to learn the game, the "newbie period" can be enjoyable and not nearly the grind that the author makes it out to be. The beginner/easy tasks that are set up in Lumbridge and Varrock are a great way for new players to discover their way around, and learn basic skills. Combining those with completing the first set of quests, and reading the skill guides on various sites, can make a seemingly daunting game world significantly less so.

The first article was interesting, but as a newbie who recently got back into the game, I believe that RS is designed very well for new players. New players, that is, who are not looking for a quick and cheap road to achievement. Players looking for the quick fix and cheat codes, as many of the current generation of younger gamers are on console games, are going to find this a tough slog. Once a player understands that RS is a game for the long-haul, however, and takes the time to learn the game, the "newbie period" can be enjoyable and not nearly the grind that the author makes it out to be. The beginner/easy tasks that are set up in Lumbridge and Varrock are a great way for new players to discover their way around, and learn basic skills. Combining those with completing the first set of quests, and reading the skill guides on various sites, can make a seemingly daunting game world significantly less so.

Exactly.

I think the problem with the author is the fact that he has been around these forums and this community long enough, and reached a status that is not a "newbie" in F2p. Problem being in the fact, that in this community and forum - most of the scapers have already scaped for years and years, and have levels and gear that could take a person who just entered the game first time - years to get. Of course, if you've seen other players achievements for so long, going through the "newbie" -stage may very well be frustrating. Point is, that the gaming should be adjusted to your own levels, time and dedication. Not by others.

I personally feel myself like a newbie at times, even though I've played this game for almost a decade. Actually not just almost, but yes - a decade. The game has so much content and things to try and learn - it might be very frustrating for a person whose goal is to complete everything fast. As the author said himself, reaching the top 250 f2p'er list sounded intimidating. After being close to being at the top - it can be really hard to go back to the bottom again.

I personally don't know, if I would or wouldn't be a noob again. It has been so long journey, with the game changing like as much as I have in the process - it's hard to say. For long time scapers the new content came sort of with the levels. There were not dozens and dozens of skills and activities to choose from - the new updates came one at a time. You could usually try all the new things as soon as they were implemented in the game. That way you kept up with the change, and didn't feel like falling out. Everyone who has played enough knows, that getting back inside the game after a long break can be very hard. The game updates fast.

And to everyone who are looking through the nostalgy glasses how everything was better back in the "golden days"... I wouldn't say so. If the game hasn't been updating since early stages of RS2 or RSC, I most certainly wouldn't be playing anymore. The fact that RSC has been opened a few times again, and still is deserted like the deserts of Egypt, should tell you enough how much people actually want to play like it was. Just my thoughts. :grin:

u5zhkTY.gif

I do remember Jagex did give donations, but that must have been more than 5 years ago that I heard that. Also heard they have CO2-neutral servers, to show that they support Kyoto and believe in global warming (I think that was said in a newspost for the quest Peril of Ice Mountain.

And god, I love that third article!

Thirded. To the extent in which players play for the sake of play, that's where something like Runescape shines. The mid-tier quests and associated content is considerable, especially taking into account how pigeonholed endgame diversity (or the lack of) is.

As for the last article...

Interesting perspective, but unfortunately, you lost your hold on me years and years ago. With no expectation inevitably comes no disappointment. My happiness is derived from the little things in the process of simplistic actions - as it has been, as it will. I've never thought of it - the thing in which you presides over - as anything else than a game.

Guest jrhairychest

Looks like you've another agreeing with your post :thumbup: . I particularly agree with 'not nearly the grind' (see my sig lol).