Tip.It Times - 16th October 2011 - Interview With Elias

tripsis

banner.png

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I was unable to find anything particularly enlightening or intriguing in the bot related article - the issue has simply become a dead horse - regardless of how pertinent it may be. The player's acknowledge the problem, JaGex acknowledges the problem - there simply needs to be something done.

I think there's a lack of unique things to talk about that isn't already heavily disputed on General Discussion. Hmmph.

I didn't quite follow as much of 'Diversity' as I would've wished to. Could you explain a little to us, ALG?

I was unable to find anything particularly enlightening or intriguing in the bot related article - the issue has simply become a dead horse - regardless of how pertinent it may be. The player's acknowledge the problem, JaGex acknowledges the problem - there simply needs to be something done.

I think there's a lack of unique things to talk about that isn't already heavily disputed on General Discussion. Hmmph.

I didn't quite follow as much of 'Diversity' as I would've wished to. Could you explain a little to us, ALG?

This (on the bot article). It's been said and said yet no action has followed. A little movement or actual momentum might get some *potential* progress, but it seems too late to do that now. :\

I found the Diversity Article interesting, but had some trouble following a bit myself, and I took the time to look at the interview with Elias at least.

Bots are a dead horse. Either we accept them as something that doesn't go away, or we keep complaining.

Interview was interesting. For some reason, I suspected more top players as being older, not really sure why, maybe its because of slayerbelle.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Bots are a dead horse. Either we accept them as something that doesn't go away, or we keep complaining.

Interview was interesting. For some reason, I suspected more top players as being older, not really sure why, maybe its because of slayerbelle.

lol besides kingduffy and jd they are all young ;p

StarViv.png

So how old does that make you? I suspect most of the top (maxed) players are probably at least university students. For one thing, it takes several years to get maxed.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

So how old does that make you? I suspect most of the top (maxed) players are probably at least university students. For one thing, it takes several years to get maxed.

im young too lol

i meant most are 18-24 years old thier are some maxed players that maxed at 14 or 15 but just maxing isnt as timeconsuming as previous

but yea 18-24 is university/college age but don't necessarily need to be in university or college older than that they either have a job where they multitask or quit

highschool is harder to scape in cuz at school all day long

StarViv.png

enjoyed the first article on bots, always nice to read stuff with sim opinions.

the 2nd article confused me... it started on one topic then moved to something completely different. no offense, but did the writer have an add attack or something?

the interview was interesting. I'm curouius about one of the pics though... what's this:

ie3uj6.jpg

obviously what's within the red rectangle i made... i'm 99.999999999999999 % sure that is not part of the normal runescape window and i have not seen it before, so i'm curious as to what it is. I can guess what it is for on my own, looks useful (esp the summ part, i never did forgive jagex for getting rid of the summ tab)

dj_phox.png

Depends which kingduffy ur talking about lol

It was supposed to be about how some skills are much more difficult than they should be and/or are neglected by players because training methods are limited or outdated. Skills like runecrafting or agility really only have one training method, and it just isn't very good, which is why players use effigies instead of actually training the skill. Jagex could make these skills much more bearable by adding new, unique training methods, or new rewards that make the skill worth training.

...I did jump around a bit. :-k Sorry

the 2nd article confused me... it started on one topic then moved to something completely different. no offense, but did the writer have an add attack or something?

the interview was interesting. I'm curouius about one of the pics though... what's this:

-

obviously what's within the red rectangle i made... i'm 99.999999999999999 % sure that is not part of the normal runescape window and i have not seen it before, so i'm curious as to what it is. I can guess what it is for on my own, looks useful (esp the summ part, i never did forgive jagex for getting rid of the summ tab)

I didn't read the articles (usually come here and read a few comments and decide if articles are worth reading).

The picture shows him viewing another member of the party, particularly their inventory.

The tabs go player inventory - worn inventory - BoB inventory - skills.

I'm guessing either you don't dungeoneer often or it's still not common practice...

Lol my question is how the guy he's viewing has two of the same key.

2dgucz6.png

In dungeoneering you can see the invent / stats etc of your teammates which is what Elias has done here.

Found the interview with Elias very interesting. The other two were both well-written, but just not as interesting to me.

And whoever organises these interviews, I'd personally like to see an interview with Drumgun, he does post here fairly regularly, so it might not be too hard to arrange.

Asmodean <3

The interview with Elias was very nice and it's nice to know he left RS on good terms rather than bad ones. IMO he should get 1 more xp just to annoy all the OCD people :P

Goals for 2012:

• Quest Cape
  • MAX

Found the interview with Elias very interesting. The other two were both well-written, but just not as interesting to me.

And whoever organises these interviews, I'd personally like to see an interview with Drumgun, he does post here fairly regularly, so it might not be too hard to arrange.

Thanks. It was a fun interview to do (Just as the Suomi one was). I'll see what I can do on that front :)

I guess the most surprising thing to me was how young all those top players are, and then the caption : "Theres over 8 billion XP in that picture!" really got me :P

Feeling so over the hill right now...

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

@Eternal Sunshine of the Botless Mind

The answer to the problem is the simple, painful one.

Get rid of the free trade and slowly gear the game towards untradeable end game material.

But, hey 91% of runescape fools voted for this so why care.

My playtime on runescape is unaffected by bots.

I don't value gp or tradeable goods.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

-

The picture shows him viewing another member of the party, particularly their inventory.

The tabs go player inventory - worn inventory - BoB inventory - skills.

I'm guessing either you don't dungeoneer often or it's still not common practice...

I don't team dung, so that would explain why i did not know about it.

dj_phox.png

@Eternal Sunshine of the Botless Mind

The answer to the problem is the simple, painful one.

Get rid of the free trade and slowly gear the game towards untradeable end game material.

But, hey 91% of runescape fools voted for this so why care.

My playtime on runescape is unaffected by bots.

I don't value gp or tradeable goods.

Two things:

First of all, removing free trade will obviously help, but it's no magical wonder weapon. People forget quite often that the number of bots was steadily increasing before the announcement too, and there were several quite crowded spots already.

Second thing: You can forget about Jagex removing free trade. It would be terrible for PR and as long as the game keeps running and making a profit you won't see that happening.

^ Wow...

I think that you are the first replyer in this thread who has actually fully and comprehensively read my article (articles if you include the one from march I referenced)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Look at the first major event that happened since Andrew and Paul signed the forms to hand over Jagex' control to someone else; The Wilderness/Free Trade voting drama and its subsequent re-installation, or even just the fact THAT they handed over Jagex' control. Would we have pinpointed that as the day that everything started to go wrong?

Personally, I have pinpointed that as the day that Runescape "jumped the shark" ...

So we know what problem needs to be solved, and we even know what the end result should look like, approximately. However, I have no confidence in Jagex' current methods of getting us there.

Hell – I even doubt the sincerity of their wanting to get us there ...

A Tip.it-er's post (Arceus' article) was quoted in this week's news bit on bot breaking, and while it is a noble sentiment, it is once again futile and pointless.

... and not to mention plagerized from J.K. Rowling ... :lol:

No dear Jagex, if you wish to continue to lay claim to your old company name (JAva Gaming EXperts), the solution must be a radical one. I'm even willing to admit that the solution proposed by me in march [sic] is not going far enough. Mind you that was before we knew how bad Free Trade would impact bots, but the core of the idea (Jagex selling XP and GP) is still essential.

... and gear?

Should Jagex go the way of, say, Maple Story – and make the game less grinding and allow people to buy cards that will allow them to "rent" better gear, et al?

Do we want "rich kids" to better, stronger and faster than those who have worked for it?

When I saw that there was going to be an Insiders' Session at RuneFest on bot-breaking I thought that they were going to tell us in the vaguest terms of what their next futile ideas will be. I had full well expected lines would form at the microphone in order for everyone to rant their personal little grievance on this. Now I know this is not the case.

Which is one of the reasons why I, personally, being the unbound cynic that I am, looked at these recent comments issued from Jagex with a certain amount of skepticism. Yes – bots are an issue. Yes – they are ruining the game. But .. why not ban them? Okay – so if you ban one bot two more come in its place. So what? Ban them too. Why just roll them back? Ban them. Keep banning them and don't stop banning them.

To me it seems that this appeal to the Runescape faithful is more of a matter of Jagex trying to mitigate player dissatisfaction and possibly quell any potential for a real life riot that may occur at Runefest.

Frankly – I will be very interested to see what Jagex does about bots AFTER Runefest than any of the "lip service" they are providing right now. To me, it all looks like a bread and circuses scheme ...

nyuseg.png

Should Jagex go the way of, say, Maple Story and make the game less grinding and allow people to buy cards that will allow them to "rent" better gear, et al?

Do we want "rich kids" to better, stronger and faster than those who have worked for it?

Dear God, no! That kind of thing is why I left MS years ago and never looked back.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

No dear Jagex, if you wish to continue to lay claim to your old company name (JAva Gaming EXperts), the solution must be a radical one. I'm even willing to admit that the solution proposed by me in march [sic] is not going far enough. Mind you that was before we knew how bad Free Trade would impact bots, but the core of the idea (Jagex selling XP and GP) is still essential.

... and gear?

Should Jagex go the way of, say, Maple Story and make the game less grinding and allow people to buy cards that will allow them to "rent" better gear, et al?

When I saw that there was going to be an Insiders' Session at RuneFest on bot-breaking I thought that they were going to tell us in the vaguest terms of what their next futile ideas will be. I had full well expected lines would form at the microphone in order for everyone to rant their personal little grievance on this. Now I know this is not the case.

Which is one of the reasons why I, personally, being the unbound cynic that I am, looked at these recent comments issued from Jagex with a certain amount of skepticism. Yes bots are an issue. Yes they are ruining the game. But .. why not ban them? Okay so if you ban one bot two more come in its place. So what? Ban them too. Why just roll them back? Ban them. Keep banning them and don't stop banning them.

To me it seems that this appeal to the Runescape faithful is more of a matter of Jagex trying to mitigate player dissatisfaction and possibly quell any potential for a real life riot that may occur at Runefest.

Frankly I will be very interested to see what Jagex does about bots AFTER Runefest than any of the "lip service" they are providing right now. To me, it all looks like a bread and circuses scheme ...

On the first quote: The idea Stormrage had was to make dedicated cheating servers - once you buy xp, items, or whatever, you can't go back. If you want to get your quest requirements without grinding, your extreme potions without work, your achievements without something to be proud of - go to the cheating server, be happy there(or not) but they won't be able to go back. If you intend to stay legit, compare yourself with legit players and just enjoy your time - you can still do that on the normal servers.

Tbh, unless there is a method that can at least detect bots reliably for more than a few weeks at best - this is honestly the best suggestion I've seen about what to do on the issue. I can't say I really like it - but it's better than everythiing else I've heard.

On your second quote: Oh if banning bots was so simple...but well I guess it isn't ?

On the first quote: The idea Stormrage had was to make dedicated cheating servers - once you buy xp, items, or whatever, you can't go back. If you want to get your quest requirements without grinding, your extreme potions without work, your achievements without something to be proud of - go to the cheating server, be happy there(or not) but they won't be able to go back. If you intend to stay legit, compare yourself with legit players and just enjoy your time - you can still do that on the normal servers.

Tbh, unless there is a method that can at least detect bots reliably for more than a few weeks at best - this is honestly the best suggestion I've seen about what to do on the issue. I can't say I really like it - but it's better than everythiing else I've heard.

On your second quote: Oh if banning bots was so simple...but well I guess it isn't ?

The trouble comes because if you can get do botting with a high degree of confidence in avoiding punishment, which would you choose? The "ranked" server, or the "unranked" server? People would still bot and buy money on the ranked server, considering that it is already difficult to prevent. It would definitely help alleviating the issue as many people might be comfortable switching to that system. But I don't believe that it would prevent issues, considering there is fair evidence that you won't get caught now anyway.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

^free trade and the wilderness would have to be killed again ofc...

And my article's main suggestion was also accompanied by a host of side-dishes such as making reporting easier and such...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!