Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 23rd October 2011

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Tripsis
Posted Image

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

Read these rules before posting in this thread

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

Remember, if you are interested in writing for the Tip.It Times you may submit a guest article or apply to write full time. Visit this thread for more information.
Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -
- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,788 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
For the first time in a long time, I didn't know the dyk.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei
The quality of a community is not determined by how well people debate, but how well everyone meshes together in that community. So arguing well might help things mesh together, but it is not the end-all-be-all. Informative article, I suppose, but I would've rather seen a critique than a dry instructional list.

hzvjpwS.gif

Fallstar
[ Display Name History ]

Fallstar

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • RSN:Fall Star
  • Clan:Primacy
Very interesting, especially the one with Peter. The one about techniques employed by people arguing over the internet was also very well written.

Asmodean <3

Dudecrush8
[ Display Name History ]

Dudecrush8

Website Crew

• Website Crew
  • 620 posts

And of course the age old question: boxers or briefs?
Tripsis: I can answer that one :D Boxers!

You would know Tripsis... :P

We all appreciate your work very much Peter!

Get a job a Jagex, then we'll always have the best info! :XD:

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

Ellac
[ Display Name History ]

Ellac

Ex-Global Chameleon

• Members
  • 1,235 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
Really, Tripsis? Boxers or briefs? :rolleyes:
Posted Image
Thanks to Iglw for the amazing signature!

D. V. Devnull
[ Display Name History ]

D. V. Devnull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,162 posts
  • Location:Slinking in shadow, finding site/forum bugs to kill...
  • RuneScape Status:None
Just read the "Interview with Peter" a short time ago. Awesome read, especially the joke about Silverion's Closet. :lol:

As for Tripsis's answer about "Boxers or Briefs?", however, I must disagree. BRIEFS FTW! :P

~D. V. "Got me grinning... nice!" Devnull

(p.s.: Haven't read the other article yet. Don't know whether I'll post again if I do...)
Posted Image and normally with a cool mind.
(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers
A very big thanks to Peter (and the rest of the admin team, of course) for all his hard work getting us back up and running again, and for taking the time our of his busy sleep schedule to answer our questions. :P It's amazing how much is going on behinds the scenes to keep things running smoothly.

As "God" once said in an episode of Futurama: "When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all."

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Kirschen
[ Display Name History ]

Kirschen

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,446 posts
  • RSN:Kirschen
Boxer or briefs? Why not the best of both worlds?

Liked this week. Can't wait for next week. :)

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

The quality of a community is not determined by how well people debate, but how well everyone meshes together in that community. So arguing well might help things mesh together, but it is not the end-all-be-all. Informative article, I suppose, but I would've rather seen a critique than a dry instructional list.

Thanks for the feedback, Kimberley. Clearly my attempt to structure the article, in order to achieve clarity, did not work. Out of interest, could you elaborate on how I could make it more of a critique?

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei
I actually thought you were going for an informative piece, and I was stating what I'd enjoy reading more. I can tell you put effort into it though, and I really don't have any critique to give on how to make such a piece better. I never really took debate classes, and to be truthful I learned things reading article #1. Your conclusion was what made me think I'd love to see a critique on the community of the site specifically, nothing more. :P

hzvjpwS.gif

firebird308
[ Display Name History ]

firebird308

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • RSN:SilverFox30
  • Clan:PVM Skilling to 99
I felt like I was being lectured at in the first one and liked the second one.

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Extragorey
[ Display Name History ]

Extragorey

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • RSN:Extragorey
"The Internet and Arguments" was a very interesting read. I agree with most of it...

Regarding "proof", though, say someone makes a general claim like "This game is really popular, heaps of people play it", referring to a very obscure title from 1995 or so...
Well, it seems only logical they provide proof if they want you to believe it. It's not that hard to find a positive review if you try - and the person on the receiving end isn't going to because they couldn't care less.
So yeah, I think asking for proof in some scenarios is perfectly reasonable.

Also... One has to wonder... If all of those points make you a bad debater, what exactly does it take to be a really good debater? I shudder to think...
Posted Image

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate.

NukeMarine
[ Display Name History ]

NukeMarine

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • RSN:Nukemarine
Not to be jerk (usually said by people about to be a jerk), but couldn't the first article have been summed up by linking to logical fallacies in wikipedia? Good article though. So, here are some other problems in "discussions" I see in RS forums:

-Something has ALWAYS been that way (impossible as the game itself is only 10 years old). Associated with arguing with tradition, but more like ignoring anything that happened prior to the person getting involved.
-X is against the law in real life, so it should not be allowed in RS. One, it ignores the very ideas of fantasy game, in addition it ignores that laws are not universal even in real life.
-I can get X in Y days. Annoying tactic that ignores actual time used during the day. In a way, it's presenting false evidence.
-No real Scotsman.... This is annoying in that they ignore your evidence by saying no real (pker, cw, pure, botter, etc) would actually do that. Kind of akin to moving the goal post.
-All or nothing. These zero sum arguments such as "Jagex can't get rid of all the bots, so they should allow all of them".
-Time is free. These guys don't associate effort and time put toward something as having an inherent cost involved. One example was saying guys were getting a dragon axe for free by doing all the beacons. Completely ignored the effort and time it would take just to have the levels for the chance to do that mini-game.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer

A Kritik of what? As a rule, TIF users are more logical, but also more prone to use logical fallacies then other RS users in game or on the RSOF. Ye, the first article was boring. But I'm curious what type of K you'd have been interested in, as I might write one lol.

A kritik is, to overgeneralize, a challenging of the mindset/viewpoint of a stance before the proposed action can/should be taken, among other things. Example: I ran the "F-ing K" at my last debate when the Neg dropped the F bomb a few times. It basically says that the F bomb is the linguistic equivilant of a nuclear bomb, it degrades women by exalting the cultures "male dominated" view of sex, and the impact was something bad (I forgot exactly what the MPX and terminal impact was-I'm tired lol) that's a very general view of one type of K.

Perhaps a better example would be the "whiteness" K we use in debate. The team argues that the debate community is "white" (generally rich/privilaged/socially higher up, etc) and as such the resolution can not be enacted before this problem is addressed. As such, until the debate community is so "non-white" that the resolution does not require X to be used (In this case using the USFG as the actor) that Y bad things will occur/are occurring etc. I never use this K, so I'm not as familiar with it, and it has many layers and things which can be changed.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests

Regarding "proof", though, say someone makes a general claim like "This game is really popular, heaps of people play it", referring to a very obscure title from 1995 or so...
Well, it seems only logical they provide proof if they want you to believe it. It's not that hard to find a positive review if you try - and the person on the receiving end isn't going to because they couldn't care less.
So yeah, I think asking for proof in some scenarios is perfectly reasonable.

Also... One has to wonder... If all of those points make you a bad debater, what exactly does it take to be a really good debater? I shudder to think...

I agree.

To be honest I found the "internet and Arguments" article a pretty heavy going read. Sorry Croc, It seems you're always trying to prove something with your writing skills. There's really no need to do this. It shouldn't really have got past the editorial panel.

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

To be honest I found the "internet and Arguments" article a pretty heavy going read. Sorry Croc, It seems you're always trying to prove something with your writing skills. There's really no need to do this. It shouldn't really have got past the editorial panel.

I write articles on topics that interest me in a way I would want to read them. You are more than welcome to express an open dislike for them - you wouldn't be the first - but to combine it with silly assumptions is not a reasonable piece of feedback. The only thing I ever seek to 'prove' is whatever view I am trying to express.

Secondly, you are in no position to say what should/shouldn't have "got past" the editorial panel, especially seeing as you seem to object to it only on the basis of not liking it. Perhaps you'd care to apply if you'd like to have a say on EP policy?

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests

I write articles on topics that interest me in a way I would want to read them. You are more than welcome to express an open dislike for them - you wouldn't be the first - but to combine it with silly assumptions is not a reasonable piece of feedback. The only thing I ever seek to 'prove' is whatever view I am trying to express.

It's not a silly assumption, I'm certainly not the first poster to have commented on your writing style. The way you want your articles to be written isn't necessarily what everyone else agrees with i.e. the audience.

Secondly, you are in no position to say what should/shouldn't have "got past" the editorial panel, especially seeing as you seem to object to it only on the basis of not liking it. Perhaps you'd care to apply if you'd like to have a say on EP policy?

Actually you're wrong - I like the subject and I think it could be quite interesting and the subjects you've picked before are also interesting. I object to the way it was written which I am allowed to do. And yes - it shouldn't have got past the editorial panel. I'm in a position to say so as I'm part of your intended audience, which you are ignoring.

If a position comes up on the EP panel I'll consider it but I won't hold my breath in being successful.

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts
  • RSN:Tripsis

If a position comes up on the EP panel I'll consider it but I won't hold my breath in being successful.

Positions don't "come up." You can apply to be a full time writer at any time or submit a guest article at any time: http://forum.tip.it/...he-tipit-times/
Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -
- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

It's not a silly assumption, I'm certainly not the first poster to have commented on your writing style. The way you want your articles to be written isn't necessarily what everyone else agrees with i.e. the audience.

Actually you're wrong - I like the subject and I think it could be quite interesting and the subjects you've picked before are also interesting. I object to the way it was written which I am allowed to do. And yes - it shouldn't have got past the editorial panel. I'm in a position to say so as I'm part of your intended audience, which you are ignoring.

The silliness is your assumption that I am trying to prove something by writing in a way that I enjoy. As for what the audience wants: I wouldn't be on the EP if I had to write what they want to see, because it's often not what I want to write about.

I retain that you, as a forum member with no other position, are in no position to evaluate what the EP should publish. The audience's tastes are too broad to be able to satisfy everybody, and I am afraid more seem to have enjoyed the article judging from feedback. The fact you didn't like the writing stye means nothing to what the EP will or will not publish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users