Jagex Is Not Done Yet With Its Anti-Bot Efforts

NukeMarine

Th grind is part of what makes RS RS. If you want metagame/end game play Rift/WoW or another MMO. RS is based around the grind, its a fact of life.

I agree. Anyone who doesn't like the grind can choose another game because its clear RS is the wrong game for them. Personally, I find the 'grind' fun. I choose the methods that suit me, even if they're longer, to do what I want to do.

I, too, agree. I've played RS for 10 years now and have no 99s, but I enjoy the game. I don't ever "grind" anything more than a few levels for a quest, I just do what I feel like. And if I do grind, it's because I'm enjoying what I'm currently doing. Yes, I do have my favorite and least favorite skills to train, but I have a wide variety of methods that I train them to keep things interesting. I am by no means "efficient" but do I have to be to enjoy the game? No, says I.

Flyingjj.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where's this additional update Jagex...? You did say today...

Euh for your info runescape has been updated like 6 hours ago.

Really? Mind linking me to the info for the update? Couldn't find it.

patr1ckotg1.png

I'm glad my article's message has been received, even if it wasn't directly. The generally accepted 'not fun' factor - the grind, has been one of the most prevalent issue throughout the history of RS.

Despite the initial setback by disgruntled players who feel that the anti-grind related updates would devalue their achievements, it must be realised that the grind is the root cause of many symptoms we see as in RS today (e.g. botting, and rwting largely necessitated by the endless hours required by the game in order to enjoy 'high-quality content' that's spontaneous and unpredictable).

It really would depend how JaGex decides to tackle the said grind though. Only time will tell - this could make them, or break them. It's a little like playing Russian Roulette.

[qfc]15-16-365-63312674[/qfc] second post

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

The best way to reduce the grind is to make training methods more enjoyable and less of the 'wait and watch your character make X items'. It would have to be creative though, so Jagex have to get their thinking caps on. Imo they can leave the current xp rates intact, except for RC which hasn't been updated with a new training method since effigies. :rolleyes:

[qfc]15-16-365-63312674[/qfc] second post

Thanks

patr1ckotg1.png

they should never take grind out of RS. ever. such a bad idea.

Would you care to explain why? Whilst we're each entitled a right to express one's own views, there is no right to say we ought to accept it without reasoning to support one's claim.

I really hope they make agility for example the same xp/hour rate, but make it more challenging or fun to do to lessen the grind, and not just cop out with a high xp method which means you grind.. But for not as long.

An example would be the brimhaven agility dungeon tickets but updated to remove the annoying "minus agility" levels.

Though the real issue is the shear length of getting to 99 in skills. No matter what the method is it will feel grind based to some players simply because of the time it takes (unless they do the stupid thing which is just increase xp rates, as this doesn't solve the problem of devaluing other players achievements.)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

*Perks up at fixing grind*

Fixing grind will draw in new players and those who are still grinding. It'll piss off older players who did have to somehow kill 392348234 chickens like Cyrisus. Unless they put in some sort of achievement for older players who grinded before the EXP got fixed - but then, you'll have to deal with a permanent divide in the player base that cannot possibly be well in any way, shape, or form.

That in Bold ^ Thats a Nice Idea. Hope that it would be Added someday :shades: :thumbup:

Level 99 Skills 28/28 200M exp Skills 6/28
Going for 200M All Skills. [qfc]48-49-837-63099395[/qfc]

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RS

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

On 12/23/2011 at 4:39 PM, 'Jebrim' said:

But don't even begin to think that I think I'm better than you all simply because I've done 7.6k+ hours of Agility or because I have tens of thousands of fans.

One of the popular botting sites, just put up a countdown timer on their frontpage. How ignorant are people to fall for this shit?

Not sure if I can link the site, if not just remove it from my post.

Removed the link. Feel free to post a screenshot of the countdowntimer, but no direct links or names please ~ Siobhana

Edited by Siobhana
patr1ckotg1.png

One thing that helps with grind is reduce amount of input. The more "make X" the better. Hell, with alchemy and various lunar spells they can add a "make X", just with the case of alchemy it must be a max of 30. Do the same with fletching.

Another that helps with Grind is create tangible benefits for every level that's achieved. The more unique the benefit, the better.

Likewise, with EVERY skill, do the equivalent of Pyramid Plunder where there's more efficient training methods at specific milestones.

Yet another is, like Livid Farms sort of did, is create content that builds multiple skills.

This might be unpopular with grinders, but why not create a virtual bot for people? Let's say for every hour of gameplay, your character builds credit, that credit can then be cashed in for offline skill building. So instead of things like effigies with it's random XP it's more in line with Penguins/JoaT with guarenteed but weekly/daily xp. However, different skills cost different credits.

Actually, this could work: before logging out you take your character to an NPC based on the skill you want raised on your offtime. You pay the credits and it's raises your character's skills based on how much time you are offline upto your credit limits. Log back in, play the game doing whatever (merchanting, mini-games, roleplaying, quests, whatever) to build back up your credits. So you're playing the game as you see fit, using the good credit you build up to help on skills you personally think are a grind. Cost of xp can alter based on current skill level, methods to level that specific skill and maybe even popularity of that skill. This cost can be updated over time.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

My understanding of what they changed (going off of what others have figured out; was somewhere here but I can't seem find the thread) means that it's a LOT more work for Jagex, though they may have semi-automated the process. It makes the most common form of bot unusable without putting in a ton of effort to get past the effective wall that Jagex has put up to even tell more specifically what they did, and to counteract that may take even more work.

I think it was commonly agreed that Jagex couldn't make it impossible for bots to function and find a way around anything they put up eventually. But, many (including myself) forgot that it's not necessary to make botting impossible - they just need to make it take more work that it's worth to the folks who make bots. Yeah, sure, there's gonna be a few to find a way through anyway (probably more due to curiosity than anything else), but that's much more manageable than having entire businesses operating off of it.

This is, incidentally, part of why Jagex mentioned there's still some bots that this update won't catch. Not all bots work the same way, but there's other ways of handling the rest of em (and I'm guessing they're harder to make and run than the most common type, and Jagex is probably also working on a way to handle those more efficiently than spot reporting).

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

This might be unpopular with grinders, but why not create a virtual bot for people? Let's say for every hour of gameplay, your character builds credit, that credit can then be cashed in for offline skill building. So instead of things like effigies with it's random XP it's more in line with Penguins/JoaT with guarenteed but weekly/daily xp. However, different skills cost different credits.

Because with penguins/effigies/whatever you have to actively do something, whereas your idea would mean you could literally stand in a bank and get free experience for it.

You know what would be great? If there was a big update that reduced grinding. Faster xp and more enjoyable training methods, BUT your highscores before the update would be "saved" so you can always see your achievements before this big change. Additionally, any skillcapes you had prior would be "extra trimmed" or something to show you got them the hard way. This way people won't whine about it devaluing their achievements as much.

Of course, I don't think Jagex is going to make any huge changes with the rate of xp gained, maybe just add somewhat faster training methods and more D&Ds, minigames and others that make grinding less painful. Though I would really like some big changes to skill training, combat and the grinding nature of the game in general.

I cbf about highscores. I care what my levels are. I think it'd be good if all skills were able to get at least 100k exp/h at higher levels tho.

Tbh, I think RC should get you exp per rune CRATED, not essence used. Tbh, I the RC fix could be purely adjusting numbers. The problem with RC is there is virtually no increase in exp as you level up. I find it's actually the fastest skill to train up till, like, level 15 lol.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

You know what would be great? If there was a big update that reduced grinding. Faster xp and more enjoyable training methods, BUT your highscores before the update would be "saved" so you can always see your achievements before this big change. Additionally, any skillcapes you had prior would be "extra trimmed" or something to show you got them the hard way. This way people won't whine about it devaluing their achievements as much.

Of course, I don't think Jagex is going to make any huge changes with the rate of xp gained, maybe just add somewhat faster training methods and more D&Ds, minigames and others that make grinding less painful. Though I would really like some big changes to skill training, combat and the grinding nature of the game in general.

I cbf about highscores. I care what my levels are. I think it'd be good if all skills were able to get at least 100k exp/h at higher levels tho.

Tbh, I think RC should get you exp per rune CRATED, not essence used. Tbh, I the RC fix could be purely adjusting numbers. The problem with RC is there is virtually no increase in exp as you level up. I find it's actually the fastest skill to train up till, like, level 15 lol.

Well, runecrafting does speed up at higher levels in increments. Crafting bloods is faster xp than crafting mind runes for example. Though I agree, it would be nice if the xp was based on a per rune calculation rather than a per essence one. I was thinking, maybe you can get "bonus" runes that are untradable depending on your runecrafting level. So you could actually use runecrafting to supplement your spellcasting rune suppy in an efficient manner. As it is now, you'd be better of buying the runes in lieu of crafting them for cost efficiency's sake.

You know what skill really never changes in xp rate as you level it up? PRAYER. Nobody seems to mind that prayer can be trained just as fast at level 1 as you can at level 99. It's expensive as hell though (at least for the average Scaper) but your prayer level has absolutely no effect on experience gained. I would like some kind of interesting monster with new mechanics (in some sort of minigame format perhaps) that gives prayer experience for defeating. After all, prayer is a combat skill; not just something you should be able to buy without ever needing to get in a fight and actually use it for what its meant.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Because with penguins/effigies/whatever you have to actively do something, whereas your idea would mean you could literally stand in a bank and get free experience for it.

Remember this is one idea, not even suggested to Jagex, and shouldn't be the only idea on top of that. Well, is it really free xp? A player played his account in game for a set amount of time. That he did it running races with his clan any less playing the game than the guy completing Livid Farms? I mentioned it in the Oct 23 Tip.it times thread, but people like to throw around "free" alot when it comes to getting something in game. I'm looking at it as "I don't care how you played the game, so long as you were there when it's being played" with this idea.

Now, I'm offering goofy limitations: You must actually activate the off line XP training while in game (so logging off at LRC won't cut it). Your character literally gets XP per hour so if you log off for 2 hours you'll only see 2 hours of XP when you come back on as opposed to 16 hours of another player that logged out over night assuming he had the credits. The XP per hour will vary depending on skill but it'll always be less than normal ways of leveling in game. In addition to any other silly idea that helps balance problems. No matter what, you still have to earn credits by logging hours into the game.

However, if it helps, the timer of "in game" could stop when your actions completely stop ie something starts a counter to log you out of the game.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I'd just like to say, i really like the 'xp per rune crafted' idea and was gobsmacked when it wasn't implemented from day 1. It's kinda silly that you get the same experience at level 1 for crafting 1 air rune, that you get for crafting 10 at level 99.

I think xp rates would need to be changed slightly, so 10 air runes isn't significantly more experience than 2 nature runes for example, but it's a great idea.

CNqWHdA.jpg

reducing the grind by making *lower level* experience rates faster specifically seems like an interesting idea. It would minimally bother the players that have the most problems with jagex making things easier, the ones that have invested a lot of time in rs, and it would appease the players who have the most problems with the grind - the ones that aren't already 138 and semi addicted to rs.

An example would be Like an exponentially decreasing multiplier that goes from 5-->1 as levels increase to 99, or something like that.

you would maybe reach 99 30% faster than without the multiplier, or whatever amount sounded reasonable.

Keep in mind it took Jagex years to make this (they planned to release this almost exactly a year ago) and have likely been working on it since restricted trade was added in the first place.

If RSBuddy is able to crack it faster then it took Jagex to produce it then they win.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it this update required some major rewriting of the code to put everything into apparently random cluster addresses, but readdressing the items within the cluster is relatively minor so if someone like RSBuddy figures out where everything is they can simply move it again. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if they were already planning to incorporate this readdressing into future updates every so often just to stay ahead of the bot makers.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...