Jagex Is Not Done Yet With Its Anti-Bot Efforts

NukeMarine

Keep in mind it took Jagex years to make this (they planned to release this almost exactly a year ago) and have likely been working on it since restricted trade was added in the first place.

If RSBuddy is able to crack it faster then it took Jagex to produce it then they win.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it this update required some major rewriting of the code to put everything into apparently random cluster addresses, but readdressing the items within the cluster is relatively minor so if someone like RSBuddy figures out where everything is they can simply move it again. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if they were already planning to incorporate this readdressing into future updates every so often just to stay ahead of the bot makers.

This.

I'd expect them to spend a month or two writing a program to go through and fix their internal object references automatically when they re-scramble their object listings (something they just run the game code through before they update, not something they put into the code, so bots don't get their hands on it), and at least every month rescramble everything just for the hell of it.

And who knows what else they have hidden in that giant object array; I haven't paid a *ton* of attention to it, but I don't think anyone's said a whole lot about just what's in there. They could have stuff randomly sorted into layers; that'd be terrifying to try and hack.

Again, all that Jagex needs to do is find a relatively easy way to make hacking their system more difficult than its worth, and then deal with the occasional fellow who does it just to see if he can and not to make money off of it.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with all but the most latter claim - if there's still the incentive (and thus the demand) for botting, then it should be very profitable if decryption of the system is possible.

I don't think the big issue is "if" decryption of the system is possible, but rather whether or not such decryption would have sufficient longevity to be profitable. Based on what I an reading here and elsewhere, while being able to unscramble the new system is likely possible and is likely to happen -- the system will simply be re-scrambled a short time later and it's "back to the drawing board" for "the old electronic brain" ... :thumbsup:

As I indicated elsewhere -- this may just be sufficient enough to make Runescape a lot less easier to break into and, as a result eliminate the vast majority of botting, just by sheer attrition.

My impression is that there's prolly not a lot of botting companies out there with sufficient overhead to be able to stay afloat while they frantically work to break this system. At what point does trying to create bots for Runescape become financially non-viable?

For all intents and purposes, that non-viability isn't too far across the horizon right now. :thumbup:

nyuseg.png

We all know that one botting site remains open - it should be possible to judge that if they can remain, then others can too. I don't think 'reflection' would be the primary method anymore, if indeed that the internal changes are true.

Getting rid of bots completely is, unfortunately, impossible. The ones that remain are simple colour recognition ones, which have few features and are much more easily caught. People aren't going to pay much, if anything, for them so I think the viability of botting as a form of income is very quickly coming to an end.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I agree. The only way to permanently make a reflection bot work would be to break the method that is used to scramble the data. As long as that method is unknown, then you can't automate the unscramble process. I am sure that it is mostly trivial to re-scramble it, and the algorithm to unscramble it is very easy to change.

This means that the effort taken to unscramble it can be ruined by a single update that took jagex a few days to re-scramble.

The real issue, is whether the scramble pattern has to be stored in the client. If the client has enough information it may be possible to crack the system. I don't know enough about the internals of the old/new client to be able to make any guesses here.

I expect that color bots will be around for a while, but those were never really that big of an issue.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

If this works, I guess we could say we've put a stop to goldfarming. However - using a bot for stats and such will remain, and we still haven't stopped RWT completely either. There will always be stakers willing to sell their gold for far higher prices.

My signature is in Catherby. There was literally 5 people there, we chatted about old times and how there are no bots and how nice it is. RuneScape may become social again. :)

I've been talking to other players much more in the last few days too :)

If this works, I guess we could say we've put a stop to goldfarming. However - using a bot for stats and such will remain, and we still haven't stopped RWT completely either. There will always be stakers willing to sell their gold for far higher prices.

Except for people who merchent/dice/chinese gold farmers/boss/skill etc and then just sell their gold to a middleman, who sells it in bulk.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Guest jrhairychest

Here's the youtube link to MMG's breaking bots insider session at runefest. Answers a lot of questions including rollbacks:

Off-topic: The guy at 9.00 mins was a really fantastic bloke and such a character although I won't tell you what he thinks of some of you 'gobby young uns'. His wife came with him although she doesn't play RS herself. Now that's a marriage! Shame I didn't get his RS name :(