The Fireplace

Jehosaphat

New game that could possibly be cool to play:

A mixture between dungeoneering and hegemony in a sense.

I'm thinking for simplicity just two sides, the GM (And possibly others) against a team of players. The team of players are 'heroes' who are all commanders of an army, you all start off equal to eachother but you are free to designate someone as the head, you also do not necessarily have to split the forces up.

Anywho, you build your heroes up, give them story, give them stats (I'll go for the simple Wc3, strength/agility/intelligence. Anywho, you play through fighting the GM who is the commander of the other army, the hegemony comes into it where you are both two countries at war and the more you win the more resources you get and such until the opposing team has pretty much either no way to win and concedes or is fully conquered.

Anywho, battles will be scheduled depending on the outcome of the last battle and your decision. So let's say the GM loses and chooses to pushback and regroup, the GM then fights the next battle for the same piece of territory, with the same army (albeit a bit damaged) and with other modifiers. Or the player side has a huge defeat and is unable to regroup and thus their choice becomes limited to basicallly only being able to retreat. On the otherhand, the victorious army can choose whether to annex the area, dig-in, retreat back, and so on.

I am thinking running this in maptools, and making it similar to fire emblem in a sense. (So it wont be like 1000v1000) and perhaps a battle every weekend, seems like a good choice.

I guess if the game ends quickly, like one side loses all the battles in a row and cedes, then we can vote in a new GM.

TL:DR

A fire-emblem esque game that takes into account hegemony and dungeoneering.

Oh yeah and death mechanic:

If you die you're knocked out of the game, until the next rounds start. It will be a CK and you will unable to be able to make a hero similar to them (I will make exceptions). This is another win condition, if one side loses all its heroes then they auto cede. Works both ways.

Sounds rather interesting. I've added it to drafts, and will definitely be keeping my eye open for this one. :)

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone, except Paul, played Wurm Online before?

Its like a cross between HnH and Dungeoneering...quite addictive and open ended...though you die a lot =P

Also they have Player Vs Environment (Rather than player verse player) so Sere won't pop up and loot your stuff periodically.

There is also a rather good :thumbup: (long :thumbdown: ) Tutorial.

If anyone is interested I am trying to start a settlement on Freedom Isles (Dedication server), so let me know.

http://www.wurmonline.com/

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Yay Fire Emblem!

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

My apologies to all involved with the rotating GMs idea, due to extenuating circumstances (read; soccer tournament) I won't be able to be on to run the game over the weekend (the only free time I have that works for all parties) and would like to postpone it yet another week, again I apologize. If you are still interested, contact me for information about how to get ahold of the books for DFRPG.

LNYvk.png

I've been playing minecraft quite a lot recently adn I was thinking that maybe we could run a dungeoneering game within minecraft. Minecraft has the option to add quite a lot of detail and with worledit and creative you can make some fairly detailed houses and such with little effort. You can make dungeons quite easily with some basic logic and understanding of redstone wiring and you can reveal hidden chests or traps. You wouldn't need to work out any systems or anything since minecraft already has systems for that.

You can have NPC's say things and have the admin make that up (they can do it live if they want)

The idea would be that we have a 1-3 hour session in which you walk around the pregenerated world, I will add chests and NPC's and dungeons etc and you will be free to explore and go on your own adventure. I will encourage roleplaying and we can install a mod to get spells etc, it'll be really fun.

I've 80% through wurm tutorial Archi, looks really good.

qTLQRuS.png

Wurm's kinda bad unless you have a community, and if you look at HnH, well we end up just splitting apart because we all invaribly have different goals... Also interesting fact, Notch was part of the team for Wurm.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Could I post a game idea/setting/mechanics if I have no interest in actually GMing?

Of course :) I'll put it into Games in Storage so others will know it's free game to pick up and run it themselves.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

• 2 weeks later...

This place is either hibernating or dying. Can't tell which I'd [prefer.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

I had been planning (and working on little by litte) a game to run. I've just run into things IRL, both serious and casual that have drawn my attention elsewhere for the time being. So eventually, that'll be one more game up and running, but for now, it would appear the Tavern is in "hibernation" as Earth put it.

Lqt9R.png

See this is why we needed the Back Room, because without it not only is the place a lot less active, but also because it keeps the games alive longer for some reason.

I have to agree with this. This has to be the first time I've checked this forum in over a week, and I only did it because I noticed Earth's post when I was scrolling to T&C. At least with the back room people had a reason to come here daily.

See this is why we needed the Back Room, because without it not only is the place a lot less active, but also because it keeps the games alive longer for some reason.

I have to agree with this. This has to be the first time I've checked this forum in over a week, and I only did it because I noticed Earth's post when I was scrolling to T&C. At least with the back room people had a reason to come here daily.

While the Back Room may have been the reason for the Tavern's "activity", this really isn't an off-topic forum, as that was the majority of the activity. It is a serious games/roleplaying forum. Yes, there isn't any real activity aside from the pathfinder game, but this is only temporary, hopefully.

I personally don't see why we should allow the Back Room back for the sake of activity if that activity is going to be more negative posting. It'll do more harm than good. Even if the Tavern slows down for a while, there will always be someone to come in and spark up an idea or two.

tl;dr, We don't need activity for the sake of activity if it's going to be negative activity.

Lqt9R.png

I agree with Iey. We shouldn't confuse activity with achievement.

Personally...people have moved on, so while we can come up with new games and such, we don't have the people to play them.

I don't think its going to revive itself, and short of 5 fresh-eyed roleplayers appearing from the ether I don't think it can be revived. (And even with these 5 fresh roleplayers I would imagine the innevitable arguments between the old-timers would drive them away again.)

So my opinion is to let it die rather than trying to keep it alive with a diminishing population. Maybe, in the future, a new roleplaying forum will be opened and a new crowd start new games...until then, the Tavern just scares people off.

While the Back Room may have been the reason for the Tavern's "activity", this really isn't an off-topic forum, as that was the majority of the activity. It is a serious games/roleplaying forum. Yes, there isn't any real activity aside from the pathfinder game, but this is only temporary, hopefully.

I personally don't see why we should allow the Back Room back for the sake of activity if that activity is going to be more negative posting. It'll do more harm than good. Even if the Tavern slows down for a while, there will always be someone to come in and spark up an idea or two.

tl;dr, We don't need activity for the sake of activity if it's going to be negative activity.

Well the Back Room didn't just cause its own activity, it also helped keep the actual games alive, and short of the fights that broke out over the misunderstanding of my stories and its use as a blog by Lei, the activity there can't really be described as negative.

I think I'll take the effort to set up a new forum for us if there are enough people who want the community to stay and are just discouraged from posting by how we have lost a lot of activity through the loss of our off-topic thread.

Also that way we can set up matches and events for games that aren't on the forum without angering the mods and admin with posts that are off from the subforum topic or against these strict forum rules we have here.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Surprisingly, I agree with Mather. The point of the Tavern was community, not solely to play roleplaying games. It was to play roleplaying games with community.

There are many boards that I play on other than this one for the games, but I still stick around because there's still the chance the community will be revived.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Well the Back Room didn't just cause its own activity, it also helped keep the actual games alive, and short of the fights that broke out over the misunderstanding of my stories and its use as a blog by Lei, the activity there can't really be described as negative.

I think I'll take the effort to set up a new forum for us if there are enough people who want the community to stay and are just discouraged from posting by how we have lost a lot of activity through the loss of our off-topic thread.

Also that way we can set up matches and events for games that aren't on the forum without angering the mods and admin with posts that are off from the subforum topic or against these strict forum rules we have here.

I am confused what you mean, since the Tavern is running exactly the same as it always has, that the only effect of getting rid of the Back Room was an abundance of new games. If you haven't noticed, The Tavern tends to start new games in bunches because when one person posts an idea it pushes others to post ideas, its just that life tends to pop up and kill the game, with either the person running it being unable to do so or issues arrising from any of the following: too much time between actions, too high of activity requirements, too much time requirements. For example, the main reason why An Ocean of a Problem has managed to run for so long is that it is a weekly game that runs live and I am fine with people just not showing up for sessions if they are busy and am able to proceed without them being present. (Hegemony is technically a counter example as it fails these requirements, but the game itself is unsustainable for maintaining activity in the long term for other reasons I have explained before) Really the only way to get people to ever come to the Tavern to solve the issue with a small player base is if we actually start running games, which I don't see either of you(Mather and Retech) actually trying. If anyone really wants to try running more games feel free to ask me for advice, I simply cannot run more than 1 game at a time and do not intend to run another game in the future.

Yes, playing RPGs with a community is generally preferable to playing it with random players all the time, however the Backroom towards its end was only destroying the last shreds of what had been the Falador Tavern community, which means restoring the Backroom would be extremely counterproductive for restoring the way the Tavern used to be.

Edit: Also what exactly do you mean about the forum rules being strict? Unless you really have an issue with being told to post in the right place for getting people to play a game outside of the forums (In which case posting in the right place would get you more players, or if you refuse to play with anyone besides the small group of Taverners it would be easier to simply private message them) or being unable to post pirated content (In which case you would probably be surpised to learn that you cannot do that even on your own private webpages, what with it being illegal pretty much everywhere) I don't really see what issues the rules would present.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

I am confused what you mean, since the Tavern is running exactly the same as it always has, that the only effect of getting rid of the Back Room was an abundance of new games. If you haven't noticed, The Tavern tends to start new games in bunches because when one person posts an idea it pushes others to post ideas, its just that life tends to pop up and kill the game, with either the person running it being unable to do so or issues arrising from any of the following: too much time between actions, too high of activity requirements, too much time requirements. For example, the main reason why An Ocean of a Problem has managed to run for so long is that it is a weekly game that runs live and I am fine with people just not showing up for sessions if they are busy and am able to proceed without them being present. (Hegemony is technically a counter example as it fails these requirements, but the game itself is unsustainable for maintaining activity in the long term for other reasons I have explained before) Really the only way to get people to ever come to the Tavern to solve the issue with a small player base is if we actually start running games, which I don't see either of you(Mather and Retech) actually trying. If anyone really wants to try running more games feel free to ask me for advice, I simply cannot run more than 1 game at a time and do not intend to run another game in the future.

Yes, playing RPGs with a community is generally preferable to playing it with random players all the time, however the Backroom towards its end was only destroying the last shreds of what had been the Falador Tavern community, which means restoring the Backroom would be extremely counterproductive for restoring the way the Tavern used to be.

Edit: Also what exactly do you mean about the forum rules being strict? Unless you really have an issue with being told to post in the right place for getting people to play a game outside of the forums (In which case posting in the right place would get you more players, or if you refuse to play with anyone besides the small group of Taverners it would be easier to simply private message them) or being unable to post pirated content (In which case you would probably be surpised to learn that you cannot do that even on your own private webpages, what with it being illegal pretty much everywhere) I don't really see what issues the rules would present.

If you haven't noticed, there are three games running, two of which haven't updated in at least half a week, we used to have close to 5 full sessions per week as well as one or more Hegemonies. The Back Room being killed contributed to that, as it gave us a way to converse and help eachother with problems that would otherwise have prevented a session, it also produced a steady supply of posts, meaning that we had a reason to check up on the Tavern more frequently and thus remain fully active.

And the forum rules are strict, in fact they are unnecessarily so even for a site that's supposed to be suitable for 13-year-olds. And no, while linking to pirated content is usually against forum rules, it does not break any actual laws, what is illegal is actively distributing the material, as ThePiratebay have so frequently reminded those companies bold enough to file a lawsuit.

There's also the censors, which remove half the sense of personality in some posts, they're even sensitive enough to trigger at a slight typo, such as [garden tool][bleep]er (hot water without the space).

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Yup.

Mather, post a link to your new forum when you create it.

You will be free of the tedious 'rules' that the 'tyrannical admin' 'force' us to obey.

As to the 'community restarting'...There is near enough zero chance...Lets be honest, Retech and Mather are the only people who have consistantly played games they were in (and are still around).

Ross left, Grim has other commitments, Dusty left, Doom left, Spork/Stork are unreliable/left, Ico is unreliable, Nex is unreliable, I am a god awful player, Wyvern seems uninterested, Earth left, Mask and Iey are unknowns...

Basically there is a population of 4 people (Retech, Mather, Mask, Iey), one of which needs to be the GM, so 3 players.

The Tavern had a good run...A Golden Age of Hegemony and Dungeoneering, and a Silver Age of Hegemony(Retech/Dusty) and Space...A Bronze Age is possible, but I can't see it.

If you haven't noticed, there are three games running, two of which haven't updated in at least half a week, we used to have close to 5 full sessions per week as well as one or more Hegemonies. The Back Room being killed contributed to that, as it gave us a way to converse and help eachother with problems that would otherwise have prevented a session, it also produced a steady supply of posts, meaning that we had a reason to check up on the Tavern more frequently and thus remain fully active.

???... Are we talking about the same sub-forum? Looking at the most recent 2 games besides My own, it seems there has been no activity for 2 weeks on either (One due to technical issues, and the other presumably because people never posted, including one who has posted within the last 12 hours), and it is hardly the removal of the Backroom that caused the current lack of games, because as most people should be able to remember, the Tavern had roughly the same amount of game activity prior to it being removed; Bringing back the Backroom is not a magic solution to the problems that the Tavern is facing, At best bringing it back would have no difference but more likely it would just start making people get fed up and quit the Tavern like it had been doing before it was closed. You will have to jog my memory on a time when the Backroom helped people with problems that would have prevented a session, because I really cannot think of anytime that anything like this ever happened. Speaking from my personal experience with the Backroom, if anything it made me pay attention to the Tavern less, as I simply skimmed over 50% or so of the posts due to the rest being pointless arguing and conversations that should have been elsewhere that had nothing to do with the Tavern.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Spork/Stork are unreliable/left

I take offense to that :P

But really, I try to be a reliable player when there's something I'll play. As for GMing, I'm gonna be honest - I usually plan too deep into things, then end up seeing the task of GMing as too large due to my plans and just say 'screw that'.

a70c7.png