The Fireplace

Jehosaphat

Still working on DE2 >.< I really need to stop losing the paper drafts...

Got Safari for an internet browser now. Pro: A) Hahaha, take that Internet Explorer and your Virus!!!!!! B) ^-^ Yay! Spell-Check! While on internet! Cons: A) Constantly refreshes itself when I don't want it to. B) Can't have multiple tabs open. C) Needs a grammar check. D) Needs to spell check while on Live Chat.

Vacation is coming up! Yay! Pros: A) Christmas. Aw. Some. % Chance of finishing the stuff for DE2 increases to 50% (I'm not getting much for gifts, but the gifts I get are expensive) B) No work obligations. Cons: A) Computer-time schedule may change due to dates (new boyfriend (not like thats important but I'm just listing Pros/Cons)) and babysitting my siblings. B) New computer games? C) Need to start training for next ice skating competition.

My goal is to finish the stuffs for DE2 by the end of vacation.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Inception for the first time. I'm almost inspired to think of a game.

Edited by ieyfura
Editted out unnecessary video.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Okay:

SURPRISE! I finished the stuff for DE2. Making new topic now. All players welcome. I need at least three people to play, don't care who, any past arguments, infractions, disagreements, ect. will not affect any player. And I really hope to see the origional players again.

/me celebrates because she finished ahead of schedule

Added to enrollment, and now, off to sign up for it I go! :)

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Merry Belated Christmas!

Only Christmas gifts that are really major that I got was a print copy of the tabletop rpg RPG Fiasco, and a pound of dice.

In other news I have finished the first portion of the plan for An Ocean of a Problem: Episode III - Pardon the Miner Interuption (for those that are wondering, the first two episodes were titled The Grand Arcana Festival and The Perils of Wraith's Tomb) to the point that I cant really plan out any further without massive player derailing; Also I have begun work on preparing a game setting for another campaign I plan to run after An Ocean of a Problem ends (running it at a different site as the setting basis doesn't fit the Tavern) under a working title of All the Time in the World.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

^

Were they just run of the mill dice or were they of note? I saw there was an interesting one made of depleted uranium somewhere.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

^

Were they just run of the mill dice or were they of note? I saw there was an interesting one made of depleted uranium somewhere.

Just an assortment of Chessex dice (literally just got a pound of random dice, which is pretty much the cheapest way to purchase them)

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody like the idea of playing a dungeoneering style game on minecraft? I could import buildings to form a massive city into minecraft in a matter of minutes around an hour and could act as a GM by saying things on behalf of NPC's. I could use randomly generate instances to create dungeons and make some myself.

It will be combat intensive and you will be able to do magic spells using plugins that I install.

qTLQRuS.png

Considering making a new game, similar to dungeoneering except:

It is entirely a dungeon crawl. The back story to the game will be worked out, but the game only involves one MASSIVE dungeon. No option to leave it either until you either all die or all win. Pretty much inspired by stone soup if any of you have played it.

The reason I think it will be interesting is; it will force you all to work together, no people wandering off by themselves (unless they do it in the dungeon), more combat orientated, super loot and what not.

The challenge will come from the sheer difficulty of the dungeon that will scale exponentially, until you reach the final floor and win.

I will create my own system, again for this. It wont be too hard. But before I do, I would want to know what everyone's character is, so I can work out the mechanics of everyone's race beforehand.

So, anyone up for a dungeon crawl game?

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Considering making a new game, similar to dungeoneering except:

It is entirely a dungeon crawl. The back story to the game will be worked out, but the game only involves one MASSIVE dungeon. No option to leave it either until you either all die or all win. Pretty much inspired by stone soup if any of you have played it.

The reason I think it will be interesting is; it will force you all to work together, no people wandering off by themselves (unless they do it in the dungeon), more combat orientated, super loot and what not.

The challenge will come from the sheer difficulty of the dungeon that will scale exponentially, until you reach the final floor and win.

I will create my own system, again for this. It wont be too hard. But before I do, I would want to know what everyone's character is, so I can work out the mechanics of everyone's race beforehand.

Yes

qTLQRuS.png

I am definitely liking this idea so far. My character will probably be along the lines of either an elf, human, or dark elf for race, and depending on race either priest, paladin, warlock, respectively.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Pretty much inspired by stone soup if any of you have played it.

yes yes yes yes a thousand times yes

I have dibs on being the spriggan that knocks people out with magic then stabs them in the back for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

a70c7.png

I call healer....preferably vampyric mutant healer...

"I suck the life out of the enemy and send it into my enormace life sucking muscles!"

Hehe, no, I think a cleric of some type, with the holy symbols, the holy water and the holy hand grenades will be enough.

On an mildly unrelated note: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Anywho. I am willing to run a session for the new Dungeoneering on Thursday and/or Saturday. Please indicate your interest here, or via PM, you don't have to think about your character yet, though you can if you want to.

The plot is thus: The # of you have woken up inside a roadside inn.

Each of you has basic clothing which includes some simple armour (1 wounds worth of protection in all areas) and a weapon of your own choosing (Wands, staves and rods are permissible, though are not inherantly magic). You also have 1 rank (or 0.1 rank 10 times, or any variation there within that adds up to the same) in any skill base you want.

Changes from previous games:

Each of you have 1 Wound (HP) in each of your body parts (Head, Arms *2, Legs *2, Torso) You will die if you go to 0 Wounds in any one place (Though you can be a deranged quadriplegic with your intestines spilling out, if you so wish).

Armour is damage reduction so rats, housecats, and errant stones will not kill you (normally). Though armour can be damaged over time.

Killing enemies is a matter of drama...sometimes they will die easily, other times you will blow off their arm and they won't die.

Dying causes you to lose 1 rank, you won't lose any items though.

Magic is broken down into type and Sorcery. Magic itself (lighting fires, freezing stuff) can be done without Sorcery, but if you want to throw fireballs or summon ice walls then you need Sorcery as well.

You level up Sorcery by rolling a 20 on magic based rolls. (I fully expect people who want to be Wizards to choose lots of Sorcery ranks, please remember that Sorcery is totally worthless without any type magic to go with it. 0.5 and 0.5 would be a better split) This is basically there to moderate magical power growth.

Healing magic doesn't require Sorcery since it can't be used offensively (except against the undead, but I will let you off there :thumbup: )

Most skill rolls work the same as they always have, you need a 10 to succeed, at level 5 you can succeed in the basics without trying, ect.

Increasing your wounds can be done with better armour or increasing strength/resistance/ect.

You will also get a dodging roll unless you are attacking or circumstances prevent you from dodging (You can't dodge falling off a cliff for example, or an explosion, or if you are pinned.)

Optional:

If you want you can ask for cursed/blessed items. They increase/decrease your stats by a fixed amount or give you some special ability. Cursed items cannot be removed without sacrificing 1 rank, or a blessed item of equal stat value (aka a +3 ring of dodging could cancel out a +3/2/1 necklace of poor judgement) though both are destroyed in the process.

Dying does not remove the items.

You are not automatically affected by cursed items just by picking them up (unless otherwise stated).

If you want you can choose not to benefit/suffer from this but you must make this choice when you are not cursed/blessed.

Count me in. Hmm. So as things are looking so far, I'm currently role playing a Paladin, Some sort of Shadow Warrior.....so for this game once it takes off, I need something different. I think I might go with a ranger type. But if I remember correctly, there aren't really any class type restrictions when it comes to Dungeoneering, are there?

Lqt9R.png

And, I ask this for every game I want to join. Are we allowed to RP our character? Even if it's not a requirement or anything, is it something that's allowed?

Lqt9R.png

Please explain/clarify a few of the following:

How is the game played? (IRC/POST and ROUNDS/FREESTYLE)

Is the game under the 3 players to start rule and will it stop everytime there aren't 3 players?

Is it freeform?

What is the rate of leveling for successes in a skill? (Is it constant relative to difficulty, arbitrary, etc)

Could you explain the cursed/blessed items more clearly?

What is the setting of the area that we are starting in?

And Saturdays are much better for me than Thursdays.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

How is the game played? (IRC/POST and ROUNDS/FREESTYLE)

IRC and freestyle for the most part.

If you are going to be away but want to do some vital thing then you can post...say traveling to a certain city.

Is the game under the 3 players to start rule and will it stop everytime there aren't 3 players?

I wouldn't imagine so. I set aside the time irregardless of whether people turn up or not so if people post actions then I will run them.

Is it freeform?

As ever

What is the rate of leveling for successes in a skill? (Is it constant relative to difficulty, arbitrary, etc)

Semi-Arbitrary.

Rolling less than a 10 gives you nothing, rolling a 1 MAY reduce your level by 0.1 (Mostly it won't it is just a disclaimer).

10 gives you nothing, 11-13 gives you +0.1, 14-17 gives you +0.2, 18-20 gives you +0.3, and 20 gives an extra 0.1 is another skill if applicable, or the same skill if it isn't.

I have no significant problem with people sitting there and casting minor flame over and over again in order to level up as quickly as possible, but I will have the building catch fire on a 1, or your magic to spill out of control and suddenly you are on fire =P

Could you explain the cursed/blessed items more clearly?

They are basically permenant de/buffs tied to objects.

For instance Staff of Fire gives you +2.0 to your fire skill (for example), for as long as you are using it. You can stop using the staff at any time you like.

Staff of Wet Tinder gives you -1.0 to your fire skill, for as long as you are using it. You cannot stop using it until you sacrifice 1.0 ranks of skill or an item of a equal or greater stat boost (Which destroys both objects).

Neither item is removed on death.

Items are automatically identified by their use, and doubtless people can make up a skill to help them ID them.

Items can be found, or crafted/whatever. Crafting something requires you to succeed in a normal skill check. Then to determine how powerful the enchantment is another die is rolled. Aka 1 being -5, 20 being +5, 10 being 0. Other numbers being other numbers.

Personally I am not overly fond of the whole idea, hence why it is optional.

What is the setting of the area that we are starting in?

You are in a roadside Inn Dormitary:

[hide]2YfC8.jpg[/hide]

Assume there are n number of beds, where n is the number of players.

And Saturdays are much better for me than Thursdays.

Righto.

But it seems pretty clear to ask for a blessed item of say fire +3? Do you get a matching cursed item of a different variety?

From what I get of it so far, I'm not sure I follow on the Cursed Item. When I think of a Cursed item, I think of something that has a higher benefit than your normal Blessed item/Enchanted item, but that benefit comes at a cost of something else. From what I know from the info, there seems to be little to no balance with it.

It's kinda like, I pick this item up, and can't just throw it to the side if I don't plan on using it? But it will give me negative stats until I sacrifice something? Correct me if I'm wrong on that. :P

Lqt9R.png

From what I get of it so far, I'm not sure I follow on the Cursed Item. When I think of a Cursed item, I think of something that has a higher benefit than your normal Blessed item/Enchanted item, but that benefit comes at a cost of something else. From what I know from the info, there seems to be little to no balance with it.

It's kinda like, I pick this item up, and can't just throw it to the side if I don't plan on using it? But it will give me negative stats until I sacrifice something? Correct me if I'm wrong on that. :P

That is basically my question. What is the balance between cursed and blessed? Is one just an unavoidable consequence of the other, a bad dice roll, etc.

But it seems pretty clear to ask for a blessed item of say fire +3? Do you get a matching cursed item of a different variety?

Crafting something requires you to succeed in a normal skill check. Then to determine how powerful the enchantment is another die is rolled. Aka 1 being -5, 20 being +5, 10 being 0.

So you would ask for a Fire blessed item, to use your example, and then I would roll to see whether it was cursed or blessed...

It's kinda like, I pick this item up, and can't just throw it to the side if I don't plan on using it? But it will give me negative stats until I sacrifice something? Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

You can pick it up and look at it and decide whether or not to use it, but once you have started using the cursed item then you can't get rid of it.

So, for instance, you could pick up a cursed sword of -1.0 Cooking not knowing it was cursed. You can put it in your bag, or whatever, and then get rid of it. No harm done. You could Identify it somehow, still no harm done, you can still dump it in a nearby river with no comeback (unless someone doesn't like you dumping stuff in the river, but thats another point).

Its only if you attack/defend against something else that the curse activates and then you can't get rid of it.

Similarly, necklaces and bracelets and such would only activate if you put them on. You can have them in your pocket or whatever and there is no ill effect.

Ultimately it is a very simple system:

Cursed = Bad

Blessed = Good

You can probably have items that are both blessed and cursed, or items with multiple blessings/curses on.

If people still don't get the system I am happy to dump it.

Ah, I understand it now. Thanks for clearing that up. :P

Lqt9R.png