Hard Drive Parameter exceeded??

Zibl

My brother called me yesterday because his computer randomly screwed up. The screw up? When you cut the computer on, it boots to a black screen with the following white text at the bottom:

NOTICE - Hard Drive SELF MONITORING SYSTEM has reported that a parameter has exceeded its normal operating range. Dell recommends that you back up your data regularly. A parameter out of range may or may not indicate a potential hard.

Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter SETUP

If I press F1 and let it load up (which it looks like it's trying to do), it eventually just turns to a black screen and does absolutely nothing before it even gets to the desktop. If I press F2 it boots to a blue screen the reads "Phoenix - AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility" across the top with a bunch of slection options such as System Info, Standard SMOS Features, Boot Device Configuration, Power Management Setup, and the list goes on. I tried going in to Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking by hitting F1 followed by F8, but after loading the drivers it goes right back to the original NOTICE screen as described in the quote above.

I've even tried using the built in System Recovery Options (Startup Repair, System Restore, Windows Complete PC Restore, Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, and Dell Factory Image Restore). None of these worked at all. He didn't have any restore points made at all, nor did he make a backup image. Not even the Dell Factory Image Restore worked! I'm literally at a loss here... it's such a random screw up seeing as he doesn't really even use his desktop for much more than YouTube & guitar tabs :blink: .

Help?

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

This looks like a basic hard drive failure, although I've never seen this message. If the computer is still under warranty I suggest calling Dell.

I should think the parameter to which it is referring is temperature; so its likely it won;t allow the drive to boot as it thinks its too hot.

But the short and long of it seems to be:

The harddrive is broken, possibly beyond repair

Only real test is attach it to another system that boots up and see if you can read/write data from it.

If you can't thats it, it's dead essentially.

If you can firstly backup data off of it, then its a case of something in the os installation is majorly screwed so a clean install may help.

But yeah mentioned above if warranty is valid contact dell as opening the system up would void tht.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

NOTICE - Hard Drive self monitoring system has reported that a parameter has exceeded its normal operating range. Dell recommends that you back up your data regularly. A parameter out of range may or may not indicate a potential hard drive problem.

S.M.A.R.T. error indicating a possible HDD failure. This feature can be enabled or disabled in the BIOS setup.

A Dell documentation page (may not be for that specific model, but it seems like the error notice is the same for them all)

Based on it failing to boot, I would guess that the Hard-drive has actually failed (could in theory be an issue with the Boot records or a very corrupted operating system) so your best bet is contacting Dell Support as they would have the full documentation for what causes the warning how to try fixing it.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I scoured Google for any possible fixes before posting here, but everything I found unfortunately confirms what you guys have said. The computer was purchased in late 2007, so the warrenty is presumably long gone. I guess my brother & his wife will have to use the laptop & iPad for a while.

:lol:

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

If available to you, you could put the hard drive in another computer and find out exactly which SMART parameter is triggering the problem. The drive may not necessarily be dead, it might just be the Dell BIOS not allowing you to use it to try and prevent any further damage.