Andrew Gower...

pal2002

...is no longer even listed in the 'full credit list' of RS.

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/jagex#credits

At least a few months ago they put him there as "chief architect."

Paul and Ian are still there as 'content developers.'

So it has come to this. The creator of RuneScape doesn't even get a mention in the credits list anymore. According to Jagex, Andrew contributed absolutely nothing to the game he made.

Andrew leaving Jagex is sure to be old news for most of you now - but getting deleted off the credits list is something else. Add all this to Andrew's (sudden?) departure from Jagex a year ago, I really wonder. WTF happened between the man who created and owned RS and (investors overlords at) Jagex? Did Andrew really gave up willingly for the money? On good terms? And getting deleted off the credits list??

And his new company, Fen Research, still appear to be a pretty blank page - they're hiring programmers, but that seem to be all there is for now.

(I feel like a tabloid reporter about now..)

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's too bad. Although this doesn't really surprise me, since it's something that was well-known.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Perhaps he no longer agrees with the current stance Jagex has taken and prefers not having his name attached to the product any longer.

Probably. But obviously he's a Runescape hating terrorist that will now try to kill it from the outside. PANIC

Kinda sad to see him go though... :(

35b9enp.jpg

That guy didn't do anything for Runescape any way. Good riddence to the llama kisser.

:roll:

EDIT: Icwutyoudidthere =D>

Sarcasm + internet= misunderstanding.

EDIT: You ninja editer, you. :P

On topic: Huh. Weird. For me, Runescape will always be synonymous with Andrew Gower.

Flyingjj.png

Probably. But obviously he's a Runescape hating terrorist that will now try to kill it from the outside. PANIC

Kinda sad to see him go though... :(

I read in the tip.it times article about Runefest that he was present but yeah, in gaming aspects I doubt we'll see him again.

Look forward to following Fen Research though ever since I started following Jagex in 2000. Maybe he'll be cool and upload The Bottomless Pit, lol.

Monkey Trouble would be pretty cool too or whatever the game name was. The game where you had 2 monkeys and the water level is rising and you gotta shoot down the coconuts :P

If he makes a new RPG game it will automatically kill Runescape or at least cripple it.

Anybody know what hes worth in $$? I remember a few years back somebody posted a link to (yahoo?) showing an article where they said he was one of the top 50 richest internet entrepreneurs or something.

EDIT: Looked it up, I dont know how accurate this site is though.

CelebrityNetWorth.com:

Andrew Gower is the co-founder of Jagex Ltd. and has a net worth of $680 million. Andrew Gower earned his net worth through his talent as a British video game developer and as co-writer of RuneScape, as well as lead developer.

Yeah, Id walk away with my $680 million too... Especially back in 2010 when the game looked like it was going to hell.

EDIT X2: Looks like more sites are claiming he's only worth $217 million. Only.

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.

Net worth is not really something like a savings account - I doubt he could've "cashed it out" that easily. Although the money he got still probably had a lot of zeros.

heh, I just noticed this at the bottom of tip.it - shows you how the times have changed...better change that to Jagex now.. :/

RuneScape ® is a trademark of Jagex © 2000-2011 Andrew Gower

(Also there..

Designed for IE 6+, Mozilla 1.0+, Netscape Navigator 5+, Opera 4+..lol Netscape...wonder whatever happened to that browser?)

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Net worth is not really something like a savings account - I doubt he could've "cashed it out" that easily.

Net worth has to do with their current assets right?

current asset is an asset on the balance sheet which can either be converted to cash or used to pay current liabilities within 12 months.

I dont know for sure, but I guess thats stuff like land, houses, cars, stocks, money, ladies of the night, and whatever part of Jagex LTD/RS he still owns shares in?

and pal I think Netscape is Mozilla actually, dont quote me though.

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.

Which one is he again

The guy who you can't tell when his throat stops and his chin begins.

Andrew_Gower.jpg

andrew-gower.jpg

g203232_u53746_cam_2001-7-24_16-46-16.jpg

lol... I would've gone with {insert witty crack} about his eyes tbh.

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Which one is he again

andrew-gower.jpg

how does his hair do that

Somehow reminds me of Buster from Arrested Development.

Wish I could find the clip, "Buster so excelled at being neither seen, nor heard, that he remained at the school, undetected for a full two semesters after he was supposed to graduate."

[hide=EDIT: Close enough]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOWXn-L5mEw

[/hide]

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I don't see the big deal here?

The credit list, for a long time, has only shown the CURRENT team. Many big name jmods who went on to bigger and better things vanish from the list.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

"Founded by hobbyist game developers back in 2001"

Andrew is busy with a new project nowadays and he doesn't want that project to become as company like as Jagex is nowadays.

This picture shows +- how much I liked RuneScape:

sdcjagexfenownership.png

The more Gower the more I like it.

Fen Research's apparent employment of only three people probably reflects its recent creation, so it seems unlikely that the company will continue to remain as small as it is currently. While it will probably expand, Andrew Gower's wish to avoid "big company politics," his aim of "taking the best ideas from everyone rather than dictating from the top," and the promise of working "as part of a small elite development team," show a definite wish to remain relatively small. With the associated benefits of a more flexible working environment and direct communication to leaders, this could be a significant departure from Jagex.

I have about the same opinion as Andrew Gower has.

Perhaps he no longer agrees with the current stance Jagex has taken and prefers not having his name attached to the product any longer.

The fact that Andrew was at RuneFest pretty much debunks that theory. It's likely that Andrew's looking for new projects which requires both his time and monetary investment. He has no obligation to keep his money at Jagex, and we really should lay off him.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

If he would care enough, he would post here to inform us, what's the real deal. That's what he used to do back in first scapeboards, I thought. Those times are long gone - probably it's not our business, afterall. Probably there is nothing fishy or odd behind Andrew's getting off Runescape development totally.

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

Jagex, which stands for Just About the Game Experience, is the Cambridge UK based games studio that both develops and publishes the world's most popular Free Massively Multiplayer Online Game - RuneScape.

Wait, I thought Jagex standed for java gaming experts? :blink:

93/99 Fishing --- 22/74 Summoning

I'll achieve my goals, even if I have to crawl towards them.

Always accepting donations of living minerals, fishing urns, granite crab pouches, etc.

[hide=Thanks to]Silvermist82, Byzantus, Eka-iridium, emers8529, Octarine, A Local Guy, ezeeipancake, and Thor ls Here[/hide]