07-Nov-2011 - One Piercing Note

Saradomin_Mage

Superb quest, extremely engaging, long (although stretched out by gimmicks), with great cutscenes and superb rewards.

The new robes have certainly earned their place in my bank, with the hood and amulet as cheap additions to the monk's robes, the illuminated books as superb cheap additions to my questing gear, and the cithara having a great 50k xp bonus-I was very pleased with that, I can tell you!

Beautiful graphics too, so I'm really hoping all the developers of this quest go on to make many more-pretty much everything about this was wonderful, and especially amazingly it was a novice quest.

I'm not an efficienado.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I generally don't go saying f2o should have things, I think they should've gotten this quest. It's near enough to the f2p world, nothing massive for rewards, no members skills needed, and more people to appreciate the music teams work.

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

I agree, this would have made an excellent low-level F2P quest. :thumbup:

That said, I also understand why they would save their best efforts for members. Besides, The Blood Pact and Gunner's Ground were pretty good additions to the free game. Although I don't know why they changed Xenia to look like an old transvestite. :blink:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Saving the good stuff for members is one thing, but such an underappreciated team as the sound guys deserve all the recognition they could get.

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the quest - but I think there are still some design issues that the audio team has to overcome.

First of all, player names in voice acting. Having the account name is obviously not possible...but I felt being called adventurer the whole time was a real stretch. It didn't seem to be very realistic. Maybe a system such as the vyrelord names or fremmenik names could work - you can choose between a limited amount of names, all of which could be voice acted. Idk, but I feel something would have to be done there.

Next question is voicing the characters themselves....though it didn't bother me that much that my character wasn't voiced. Not sure if there's a better solution available.

One thing I really think they have to rework are the area triggers for the audio, and having places where there is no music. This was one of the biggest problems I had with ritual of the mahjarrat, and to an extent with this quest too, the complete lack of music in certain areas. Troubador camp, the choir - very good tracks. And in between, there's nothing. Really makes you feel that there's something missing.

First of all, player names in voice acting. Having the account name is obviously not possible...but I felt being called adventurer the whole time was a real stretch. It didn't seem to be very realistic. Maybe a system such as the vyrelord names or fremmenik names could work - you can choose between a limited amount of names, all of which could be voice acted. Idk, but I feel something would have to be done there.

That would definitely be cool. There's still a lot of names to do even with just the special ones (source) but if you can voice that much text for one quest I'm sure a few names won't make a difference. As a sort of intermediate, npcs could use your title instead - that's 3 MA titles, 5 (?) Vyre titles and loyalty reward titles. TzHaar could use their three prefixes too.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

One thing I really think they have to rework are the area triggers for the audio, and having places where there is no music. This was one of the biggest problems I had with ritual of the mahjarrat, and to an extent with this quest too, the complete lack of music in certain areas. Troubador camp, the choir - very good tracks. And in between, there's nothing. Really makes you feel that there's something missing.

Huh? There was music in the abbey. It was just more of a background track compared to a song. When the second murder occurs, that music takes a turn in another direction. I'm surprised you didn't notice it.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Yeah, they just cut off the singing, followed by a drop in the mood and creepy peripheral noises. It was on purpose.

I was having is problem too. Those background noises wouldn't start playing and I've had this issue in other places too. Sometimes I'll click a track in the music tab and it doesn't start either. Wonder if it's related to these instant crashes I get when I open the playlist.

cheezysigtipit.png

High-alching that REALLY expensive item in my inventory looks more and more tempting with every beer I drink.

I felt very involved in this quest... I hope the next grandmaster involves speech.

One of the interesting parts

[spoiler=Spoilers? To a month old low level quest? BLASPHEMY!]

When you're talking to the Abbess and you hear the second victim's scream. I jumped, which I assume is what my character would have done under the circumstances :razz:

Huh? There was music in the abbey. It was just more of a background track compared to a song. When the second murder occurs, that music takes a turn in another direction. I'm surprised you didn't notice it.

I don't know, I noticed several gaps in the music...maybe my music was too quiet, but I heard the choral singing and the troubadour stuff just right :/

I don't know, I noticed several gaps in the music...maybe my music was too quiet, but I heard the choral singing and the troubadour stuff just right :/

Would be sound settings.

Choir and troubadour was on ambient sounds, in between is filled by music.

This area jsut has a slightly unique mechanic in that the ambient sounds mute/quieted the music when you go near them. (So you didn't get like u do in say karmja where jungle noises play over the music)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Would be sound settings.

Choir and troubadour was on ambient sounds, in between is filled by music.

This area jsut has a slightly unique mechanic in that the ambient sounds mute/quieted the music when you go near them. (So you didn't get like u do in say karmja where jungle noises play over the music)

I've checked again...I can't hear any of the regular music in the abbey. I have to manually click it and even then it takes several tries it will only play once and then stop again. Guess I'll submit a bug report.