Breakthrough: Israel Develops Cancer Vaccine

The_Gabe

http://unitedwithisrael.org/israel-develops-cancer-vaccine/

As the worlds population lives longer than ever, if we dont succumb to heart disease, strokes or accidents, it is more likely that cancer will get us one way or another. Cancer is tough to fight, as the body learns how to outsmart medical approaches that often kill normal cells while targeting the malignant ones.

In a breakthrough development, the Israeli company Vaxil BioTherapeutics has formulated a therapeutic cancer vaccine, now in clinical trials at Hadassah University Medical Center in Jerusalem. If all goes well, the vaccine could be available about six years down the road, to administer on a regular basis not only to help treat cancer but in order to keep the disease from recurring.

The vaccine is being tested against a type of blood cancer called multiple myeloma. If the substance works as hoped and it looks like all arrows are pointing that way its platform technology VaxHit could be applied to 90 percent of all known cancers, including prostate and breast cancer, solid and non-solid tumors.

In cancer, the body knows something is not quite right but the immune system doesnt know how to protect itself against the tumor like it does against an infection or virus. This is because cancer cells are the bodys own cells gone wrong, says Julian Levy, the companys CFO. Coupled with that, a cancer patient has a depressed immune system, caused both by the illness and by the treatment.

The trick is to activate a compromised immune system to mobilize against the threat.

A vaccine that works like a drug

A traditional vaccine helps the bodys immune system fend off foreign invaders such as bacteria or viruses, and is administered to people who have not yet had the ailment. Therapeutic vaccines, like the one Vaxil has developed, are given to sick people, and work more like a drug.

Vaxils lead product, ImMucin, activates the immune system by training T-cells the immune cells that protect the body by searching out and destroying cells that display a specific molecule (or marker) called MUC1. MUC1 is typically found only on cancer cells and not on healthy cells. The T-cells dont attack any cells without MUC1, meaning there are no side effects unlike traditional cancer treatments. More than 90% of different cancers have MUC1 on their cells, which indicates the potential for this vaccine.

Its a really big thing, says Levy, a biotechnology entrepreneur who was formerly CEO for Biokine Therapeutics. If you give chemo, apart from the really nasty side effects, what often happens is that cancer becomes immune [to it]. The tumor likes to mutate and develops an ability to hide from the treatment. Our vaccines are also designed to overcome that problem.

For cancers in an advanced stage, treatments like chemo or surgery to remove a large tumor will still be needed, but if the cancer can be brought down to scale, the body is then able to deal with it, Levy explains. ImMucin is foreseen as a long-term strategy a shot every few months, with no side effects to stop the cancer from reoccurring after initial treatments, by ensuring that the patients own immune system keeps it under control.

In parallel, the company is also working on a vaccine that treats tuberculosis, a disease thats increasing worldwide, including in the developed world, and for which the current vaccine is often ineffective and treatment is problematic.

Based in Ness Ziona, Vaxil was founded in 2006 by Dr. Lior Carmon, a biotechnology entrepreneur with a doctorate in immunology from the Weizmann Institute of Science in

Rehovot. In June, Vaxil signed a memorandum of understanding to merge its activities into Sheldonco, a company traded on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange.

By Rivka Borochov

Thought this was interesting.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Well nicely done Israel, also @ Giordano, I don't see it costing millions of dollars I think it'll be in high hundreds of thousands.

Dheginsea.png

I once met a man named Jesus at a Home Depot. Is this the Messiah returned at last?

And i once beat someone named Jesus in a chess game. Does that mean I'm smarter than the messiah?

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Maybe a president who didn't believe our soldiers were going to heaven, might be a little less willing to get them killed. ~ Bill Maher

Barrows drops: 2 Karil's Coifs (on double drop day)

92,150th person to 99 defense

Dag. This looks very promising. A treatment that doesn't involve radiation, months of recuperation, hair loss, ect...

Looks like it might be time to buy stock in Sheldonco.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

It's gonna cost millions of dollars even at supply-demand equilibrium.

I'm not really sure if it was the point you were trying to make, but it would've cost that much anywhere. Treatments aren't the cash cow that they used to be, not when insurances are declining to cover it because of cost.

hzvjpwS.gif

>>see thread about Isreal

>>think of Gabe

>>look at OP

>>Gabe

I'm against this science btw. I'm alright with curing and treating disease and whatnot, but I see cancer as nature's way of saying YOU'RE DONE ON THIS PLANET NOW, MAKE ROOM FOR OTHERS. We're overpopulated as it is. The [formally?] incurable disease, plus homosexuality was nature's counter to the stranglehold humans have on it. I'm kind of disappointed in human welfare. If they're young and have cancer, sure fine go ahead. cure it away. But if you've lived a full life, cancer or some other way, I feel like after a while people just take up resources.

and no, I'm not trolling, anyone who played Hegemony with me could tell you this is the mentality I ran my country in lol

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

>>think of Gabe

>>look at OP

>>Gabe

I'm against this science btw. I'm alright with curing and treating disease and whatnot, but I see cancer as nature's way of saying YOU'RE DONE ON THIS PLANET NOW, MAKE ROOM FOR OTHERS. We're overpopulated as it is. The [formally?] incurable disease, plus homosexuality was nature's counter to the stranglehold humans have on it. I'm kind of disappointed in human welfare. If they're young and have cancer, sure fine go ahead. cure it away. But if you've lived a full life, cancer or some other way, I feel like after a while people just take up resources.

and no, I'm not trolling, anyone who played Hegemony with me could tell you this is the mentality I ran my country in lol

Well that's absolutely terrible. :razz: Once the secret is known to the cure of cancer, it will be produced en masse. It's not like medicine take a lot of resources to make neither; it's just the demand that makes them so costly.

The issue on overpopulation is that it isn't a physical problem or even an resource supply problem, it's an efficency issue. If all farms in the world were as productive as Western farms and with even moderate infranstructure connecting it, world hunger will cease. But many farms still use manual work, yielding a very low amount. After that, it cannnot be stored and transported properly to markets - not to mention in poverished areas the consumers would have no money to buy it with. Do we hear about overpopulation issues in America or Europe? Hardly. Why? Because we have enough resources to fulfill us. We hear about overpopulation issues in China, India, and Africa, where most of the lower class is made up of literally peasants who use feet as their primary veichle of transportation on dirt roads to earn a couple of cents. Overpopulation is an efficiency issue, not a resources. We won't be wasting any more resources on cancer cures in Europe, because Africa won't be getting any of it anyway.

Also cancer is really a painful disease and I don't think you understand how painful it can be. My only personal experience I have with cancer is with my beloved pet dog, who had lymphatic cancer. He turned to be an energic dog quickly down to a sickly being who always laid down all day: he couldn't move much, he didn't eat anything, and would cry in pain at sudden movements. I can't imagine stomach cancer, skin cancer, or brain cancer being better off for anybody, animals or humans. The only blessing my dog received was he only endured this about two weeks before he died. Some people have cancer for months in this state.

Cancer is not a 'drop-dead the moment you get it' disease. It is one of the most disgusting acts of irony played out by nature. The common man does not need to be sacrificed to save resources; if anybody can solve the issue it is corporate entrepreneurs and politicians, not disease and disasters.

EDIT: My first post was a Jew joke, I'm sorry.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Please define a "full life" and "young". Back in the middle ages, 60 was old (full life?) but now, the life expectancey is someting like 78 years or so. You'd be telling everyone at 78 who gets cancer: Tough luck? Why don't you stop consuming resources yourself? If you are a kid (eg in school, college or university) you are consuming resources as well instead of generating them....

Also, al lot of former "incurable diseases" got eradicated. Should we bring them back for the sake of population control?

Back on-topic: I'm sceptic, but if this is what it looks like, this could be a great leap in cancer treatment.

But the fact that just one marker is targeted, looks like a down side for me. There are also tumors that do not express MUC-1. But even if it works "just" for multiple myeloma, it is good news for thousants of patients.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

I agree to some extent. However, cancer is unbiased and often affects those who are perfectly fit by natural selection's standards.

Besides, has anyone seen I Am Legend? We aren't meant to cure cancer.

I got it LOL. I'm going to hell.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

I agree to some extent. However, cancer is unbiased and often affects those who are perfectly fit by natural selection's standards.

I got it LOL. I'm going to hell.

I'm so used to them that I detected it in a second :mellow:

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

>>think of Gabe

>>look at OP

>>Gabe

Though I can see you're not trolling, I also see that you are speaking as a young person who is still very much coming to grips with the world, and has that sort of innocent (not to sound too patronising) amor fati that arises from having a happy, largely protected existence. In all likelihood, some experience of life proper will change your opinion on the matter. Or, as was the case with me, you may just realise it spontaneously.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I'm so used to them that I detected it in a second :mellow:

same, lol. Why are there no jokes about other white creeds?

Though I can see you're not trolling, I also see that you are speaking as a young person who is still very much coming to grips with the world, and has that sort of innocent (not to sound too patronising) amor fati that arises from having a happy, largely protected existence. In all likelihood, some experience of life proper will change your opinion on the matter. Or, as was the case with me, you may just realise it spontaneously.

I've lead a sheltered life so to speak, lower middle class suburbia, good job, always get the essentials, yadda yadda, but I'm not immune to nature. My grandmother and my uncle both died of cancer within the past 12 years, my uncle only being 2 years ago. I loved them both, but they both lived their lives, lived laughed loved and whatnot. It was just their time.

I love that movie lol, and I don't see such a result as a complete impossibility either. Nature will conquer humanity. 99.99% of all species have been wiped from this earth. Humanity is no safer than the Dinosaurs, however more intelligent we may claim ourselves to be.

Please define a "full life" and "young". Back in the middle ages, 60 was old (full life?) but now, the life expectancey is someting like 78 years or so. You'd be telling everyone at 78 who gets cancer: Tough luck? Why don't you stop consuming resources yourself? If you are a kid (eg in school, college or university) you are consuming resources as well instead of generating them....

Also, al lot of former "incurable diseases" got eradicated. Should we bring them back for the sake of population control?

full life being accomplished, raised a family, contributed to society, that sort of thing. basically not being a waste of space their whole life, or had the chance to experience as much as possible. Young being too attatched to a youthly milestone to 'grow up' and experience full relationships, starting a family, having a job, owning property, that sort of thing. And bringing back former diseases is just silly, but notice how over time they've gotten worse? Polio, Small pox, Black Plague, all of these were bad, but let's be honest. Cancer is 'worse'. You can't prevent it. Everything causes it. There is literally nothing we can do about it [until recently apparently]. It's prolonged. It's painful. The only thing it isn't is contagious. I'd rather stop the evolution of disease at cancer before the next big human-killer comes around.

I never thought TIF was this cynical. Here we receive news that a cancer vaccine might hit markets in 6 years and suddenly it's all about man's mortality and the inevitable apocalypse.

Seriously guys, lighten up. We might be on the verge of curing [bleep]ing cancer here.

And bringing back former diseases is just silly, but notice how over time they've gotten worse? Polio, Small pox, Black Plague, all of these were bad, but let's be honest. Cancer is 'worse'. You can't prevent it. Everything causes it. There is literally nothing we can do about it [until recently apparently]. It's prolonged. It's painful. The only thing it isn't is contagious. I'd rather stop the evolution of disease at cancer before the next big human-killer comes around.

That's a flawed way of looking at things because it's completely wrong. Just because we "stop" at cancer doesn't mean the evolutionary process of other viruses will play fair and stop too; it's completely stupid to think like that. Medicine is an eternal war between humans and nature and if we give up now it is as if medieval doctors gave up then: we would still conduct blood letting and amputations at every little infection.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I've lead a sheltered life so to speak, lower middle class suburbia, good job, always get the essentials, yadda yadda, but I'm not immune to nature. My grandmother and my uncle both died of cancer within the past 12 years, my uncle only being 2 years ago. I loved them both, but they both lived their lives, lived laughed loved and whatnot. It was just their time.

So it's not really cancer that says "times up" but moreso whether the person in question has lived a fulfilling life yet? I used to be of the same opinion but thinking deeper on it, I would think giving up life would be one of the worst feelings ever. Imagine you are faced with the question to never see, feel, or experience anything ever again because all the people you fought so hard to give good lives to "want their turn".

I mean yeah... logically speaking, hooking a 90-year-old up to life support doesn't seem to be such a practical use of our resources, but I'm not going to pretend to know the mental pain they are facing and how much something like that would mean to them. As rude and dimwitted as I find most old people to be, I believe they deserve as long of a life as they can get.

Canadians and French. Italians also get it pretty bad from Family Guy.

So it's not really cancer that says "times up" but moreso whether the person in question has lived a fulfilling life yet? I used to be of the same opinion but thinking deeper on it, I would think giving up life would be one of the worst feelings ever. Imagine you are faced with the question to never see, feel, or experience anything ever again because all the people you fought so hard to give good lives to "want their turn".

I mean yeah... logically speaking, hooking a 90-year-old up to life support doesn't seem to be such a practical use of our resources, but I'm not going to pretend to know the mental pain they are facing and how much something like that would mean to them. As rude and dimwitted as I find most old people to be, I believe they deserve as long of a life as they can get.

Canadians and French. Italians also get it pretty bad from Family Guy.

I don't think you understand what a creed is :P

And I believe this because I believe that everyday you should tell yourself tomorrow you won't ever see, feel, or experience anything ever again if that's what it takes to motivate you from day to day. Why waste your time when you only live once? Enjoy it. If you don't seize the opportunity, that's on you - why disregard your responsibility of enjoying yourself in this world and then drain the resources of those that still can? If I ever am diagnosed with cancer [semi-likely] I want it immediately removed via surgery. If not, I'll live my life like I've never lived before right to the very end. No life support for me.

Have you not heard any Catholic priest jokes?

on topic: I really do hope that this actually works and not in the I Am Legend style.

edit: woo 400 posts

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

I hate to say this, but I'm a bit skeptical about this as well. I just did a search, and no major news sources have mentioned any sort of cure.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Is Gabe indoctrinating us again? :shades:

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau