Dungeoneering - Which way do you prefer?

Syd

If a topic like this already exist, you could forward me there. However, as this subject seems to be interesting for many, and yields different kind of topics every day, I thought it deserved it's own thread in the General Discussion.

Dungeoneering as a skill differs most from all the other skills in the RuneScape. Most obviously as the level cap is 120 instead of 99, it demands a way bigger time investment for anyone interested in the higher level content the skill has to offer. Secondly, it's the only skill in RuneScape that is really designed to be played as a group.

However, being member of these forums for years, ever since dungeoneering came out, it has been a topic for multiple different views and discussions about the skill. How to train it? What is the most efficient? Solo or group? 117, 148, 77, friends or a clan?

As we currently are having a weekend that offers 2x experience and tokens for dungeoneering, the subject is back on the spotlight. Help & Advice is filled with questions about it, and it seems to be on everybodys lips.

It also seems that from all skills it's dungeoneering that divides players into two. People who like it and people who don't. Most often the people who don't like the skill, are the people who don't have that much time or dedication to invest their time into efficient playing. People who don't have friends or a clan to play with, and find dungeoneering with strangers to often be total pain. However, as doing floors with a team offers way greater benefits than soloing, it often turns alot of people away from the skill.

So I would like to hear opinions about the skill in overall, and reasons why you like it or why you don't. I would also like to know how you train the skill, or how would you like to train it.

I used to learn basics of dungeoneering and a bit more with DGS, but soon after I realised their goals differ from mine. I prefer slower approach to dungeons, and like to do them with my friends with relaxed pace. Which however doesn't mean I would spend my time gathering every resource or making every piece of armour each dungeon. Besides, I do get stressed if I feel I'm slowing someones dungeon, training and experience down, especially in a group who are aiming to finish dungeons as fast as possible and reach as high xp -rates per hour as possible. I understand their point of view, but it's simply not for me.

I'm also interested to find out likeminded players, who would like to train the skill with a team, instead of soloing. Players who would like to learn and get better, but who don't have time to invest into adjusting in the groups of best dungeoneers. I personally might be interested in joining, or even founding a group or a clan for players who have the same approach. To have fun and time to relax from your real life activities, without having to stress over a game. With people who have somewhat same point of view and can agree to disagree with people who don't.

u5zhkTY.gif

I do actually find slow paced dnging relaxing. It's nice going through every room as a group and being ridiculously overprepared for anything. I liked this more when I wasn't "good" at dng, because it also gets rid of any feelings of pressure.

But I like the feeling of spreeing through a map more. It's more interesting too - making organizational and gating decisions on the fly. Since I don't ever feel pressured anymore & don't care about xp because I'm 120 I doubt I'll ever do a slow paced dng again.

I do really recommend these to some people though. Not everybody is suited to rushing.

P0lPXdo.png

If you feel that you're slowing down the team, don't get stressed. This only means that you need to find out why you are slowing down the team, and from there improve on those aspects to keep up the pace.

That's really the only real way to get better at dging. If you don't make attempts to fix your mistakes, you'll never improve (as is the case of the themed worlds).

IMO if you don't rush you're not doing it right, but that's just my mentality lol.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I feel pretty much like you do. I have trained 95% of my level solo. Mostly because like you said I don't have many friends that play anymore and cannot stand trying to deal with 117. I would love to find a group to dg with that was at a more relaxed pace. All the clans I have looked into were so focused on maxing exp/hr that it was not learning friendly, or enjoyable imo. I know I have a lot to learn about the skill as I have never really played with anyone who really knew what they were doing so I never had a good chance to learn lol. But I would to find a group like what you describe.

I try to be fast, but not go into efficency freak mode where I could snap over one minor error.

I'm semi-relaxed in approach, but I try my hardest to do my part in the team. Guess you could say I slow my mind down more than the rate I play in a dungeon.

There's a disconnect between wanting to learn to dungeoneer and also wanting a relaxed atmosphere. I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, but it's really going to be difficult for someone to learn the intricacies of the skill in groups or clans that have no interest in learning them. And I don't mean 'learn' as in speed floors and superefficiencyclownefficiency - I mean learning very basic strategies and concepts that have applications for everyone, regardless of speed.

As far as DGS, I think we've finally perfected our method of teaching, but it won't be completely done for another month or two, I'd say. DGS is definitely an intense environment to learn in because of how fast our average members are, but it's by far the best way to learn, and our members are mostly nice. There's nowhere else where inexperienced dungeoneers have an opportunity to see truly fast floors.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

If you feel that you're slowing down the team, don't get stressed. This only means that you need to find out why you are slowing down the team, and from there improve on those aspects to keep up the pace.

That's really the only real way to get better at dging. If you don't make attempts to fix your mistakes, you'll never improve (as is the case of the themed worlds).

IMO if you don't rush you're not doing it right, but that's just my mentality lol.

Ahem, this is exactly the thing that stresses many players who don't have time and dedication to stay up to date with the current standards. Finding out why you are slowing the team and to continuously improve at keeping up the pace. Problem is not only on that, everyone likes to get better at what they do. I do too.

Problem is that the groups of efficient dungeoneers I've played with, often tend to have very low patience to stand players who slow down their floors. I do have better things to do on my free time than keep listening how I don't do things right and how I need to learn and learn and learn. That alone wouldn't be too bad, but often it is not someone friendly saying what you're doing wrong. I understand people who want to get fast experience and get annoyed people slowing them down, and my point is I don't want to group up with players who have only one goal - if it's the speed of the floors.

Of course this might be very black and white view to the situation, but frankly it's the most common I've ended up in. I do want to learn and get better, but I would like to enjoy the skill aswell. Not feel like going on maximal dedication, determination and attention rates every dungeon I do. It tires me out very fast. I'd prefer 30-40 minute dungeons in a group that goes dungeons on fairly relaxed pace, than doing 15-20 minute dungeons where I feel like I have no idea what's going on and only feel like I'm slowing others down.

It does seem I'm not the only one thinking like this either. :grin:

u5zhkTY.gif

In pretty much every game I've played (talking about not just computer games, but also rl games and sports), I've always played fast paced. I enjoy dging alongside the really good dungers even though I'm pretty bad myself because I feed off pressure. When I'm in an environment like this, I force myself to go into overdrive and for me personally that makes the game very exciting.

Follow my road to 5.6/Gold Reaper/True Trim - DAT BLOG

There's a disconnect between wanting to learn to dungeoneer and also wanting a relaxed atmosphere. I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, but it's really going to be difficult for someone to learn the intricacies of the skill in groups or clans that have no interest in learning them. And I don't mean 'learn' as in speed floors and superefficiencyclownefficiency - I mean learning very basic strategies and concepts that have applications for everyone, regardless of speed.

As far as DGS, I think we've finally perfected our method of teaching, but it won't be completely done for another month or two, I'd say. DGS is definitely an intense environment to learn in because of how fast our average members are, but it's by far the best way to learn, and our members are mostly nice. There's nowhere else where inexperienced dungeoneers have an opportunity to see truly fast floors.

That's true for teaching Dungeoneering, but there is a point where many people would be comfortable in their knowledge of the skill, at which point a stressful environment isn't necessary (so long as you're with similarly skilled people). This is the reason why I left DGS after level 99, not out of bad blood, but because I felt that I wasn't learning enough to justify the stress. I've found the community that's suited my needs now. Not cutting edge, just at a good balance.

Also, Teamspeak/Skype makes everything better.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

As for Obtaurian said about DGS, I think that the problem for the less experienced players considering DGS is the fact how damn good most of the members there are. I remember when DGS first started before whole clans thing as a friends chat, I used to have alot of fun learning to dungeoneer with them. The reason for it was that there were simply alot of players who were pretty much at the same stage as I was. And we started all getting better as a group and the whole group evolved to a whole new level.

Now that I did less and less dungeoneering pretty much everyone in DGS got better than me and the floors started to became stressful. So eventually I just quit and did dungeons with my friends. I still would do it if I simply had enough friends to dungeoneer with. Most often we have to do duo-trio mediums, cause we can't get 5 players together, and even then it's very rare to have enough of us online.

That's the whole point of this thread basically. To find players who would like to learn and evolve as a group. Players who still have alot to learn, many mistakes to make and tricks to find. You know, learning all the pieces step by step with a relaxed pace, instead of trying to learn all and everything at once. Trying to jump in with a team who already know pretty much all the fastest ways to dungeoneer, is quite different from that. And in my books, less rewarding.

u5zhkTY.gif

Well I've gotten 1.6m xp (81>88) over the weekend purely from teams on my occs, solo med my high abds and solo c1 rush the rest. It's worked out pretty well and I'm very happy with 7 levels. I also got most things from my wishlist.

Personally I prefer wading my way through medium solos and ragequitting at the boss because it's impossible to do without dying over 9000 times :P. I plan on joining dgs when I meet the reqs (I think I do now) until 99 dg.

Goals for 2012:

• Quest Cape
  • MAX

Problem is that the groups of efficient dungeoneers I've played with, often tend to have very low patience to stand players who slow down their floors. I do have better things to do on my free time than keep listening how I don't do things right and how I need to learn and learn and learn. That alone wouldn't be too bad, but often it is not someone friendly saying what you're doing wrong. I understand people who want to get fast experience and get annoyed people slowing them down, and my point is I don't want to group up with players who have only one goal - if it's the speed of the floors.

I've written guides on DG and I'm not wasting my time explaining the same thing again to each person in a dng.

I do teaching floors for the situational aspects of organizing gates, which is really something you can learn in theory but you need to practice it a lot to master it. But it'd be a huge waste of time imo to try and show each person how to do fishing ferrets in a floor.

I really can't be bothered to teach people who don't understand the theory behind intelligent pathing. I won't waste time trying to teach randoms in w67 or wherever. I am happy to answer DG questions from DGS'ers, but its required of them to have read our guides, so I know its actually worth my time teaching.

Also, if somebody doesn't show initiative, it doesn't feel worth my time. People who don't ask questions, people who don't offer to attempt something productive to completing the dng other than just gtgding. These people deserve very little patience.

P0lPXdo.png

If you haven't found out likeminded teams, I'm sure you haven't looked around enough.

Quick find code: 90-91-157-63327091

Been able to do things in relaxed manner, yet still comparably efficient with team that knows what they're doing, without huge pressure or raging over 1k exp/h or dps mistakes.

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

Hi, Sydan.

When it comes to Dungeoneering, I'm one of those who like to do 100% complete floors without dying. (e.g.: everything gathered and used, resources/drops/etc., and resources are stocked after every room before hitting the boss just in case... result = 125% exp gained) Unluckily, I haven't found anyone that slows down for people who like to go all Magic for their combat. (yes, *gulp*, me-in-a-nutshell) This results in my having to do c6 floors solo, even small ones, causing me to take 1.5 hours per complete dungeon (used to be as slow as 2.5 hours) at my fastest because I'm doing it all myself. Compared to some of what I hear, that could almost be considered embarrassing, but that's as fast as I can go for solo times. :-(

I'll admit, I would like to get into a large group where I can operate as just a stationed skiller at the first room during the dungeon, and then lend combat help for the boss at the end after all the other rooms are done. I'm currently facing an exp cap at combat 90, and I'm currently doing my dead-level best to avoid getting hit by it. (I'm currently cb 85, 100% f2p earned, and wishing I was still cb 75 or something like that.) At this point, it's also nearing where I need to avoid racking up combat exp for a while. So if anyone wants a skiller who doesn't get into much combat, I'd like to help, seeing as I've got the levels for all f2p stuff in Dungeoneering. |^_^|

~Mr. D. V. "more of a skiller than a fighter... tend to overprepare..." Devnull

(p.s.: Sorry about the overkill in mini-notes... I couldn't figure out how to make sentences of them. :oops: ...)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

It's broken ass content that comes of looking like a cheap imitation of WOW.

I'd flush that, dominion tower, mobilizing armies, summoning, and the broken ass "games played system" for castle wars vets all down the toilet if I was in charge of runescape content.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I always played dung alone and reached 85 on my own. But now, these days, I'm really fed up having to do med floors, taking 40 minutes and only giving me about 15k exp. I really can't stand it anymore. I really want to get started with teaming, but most teams require high levels etc.

I don't quite know what to do now. This weekend, with the double dung exp, I wanted to dung everyday, getting fast exp, but at my solo pace, no, I give up...

Does anyone have advice about what I have to do? And please, not 117, I know what happens there...

I try to be fast, but not go into efficency freak mode where I could snap over one minor error.I'm semi-relaxed in approach, but I try my hardest to do my part in the team. Guess you could say I slow my mind down more than the rate I play in a dungeon.

That's what I aim for, not that I dg much anymore. I also have no interest in playing on bonus exp or whatever have you.

As for Obtaurian said about DGS, I think that the problem for the less experienced players considering DGS is the fact how damn good most of the members there are. I remember when DGS first started before whole clans thing as a friends chat, I used to have alot of fun learning to dungeoneer with them. The reason for it was that there were simply alot of players who were pretty much at the same stage as I was. And we started all getting better as a group and the whole group evolved to a whole new level.Now that I did less and less dungeoneering pretty much everyone in DGS got better than me and the floors started to became stressful.

Thats how I kind of felt about it. I took June through October off and everyone went and got better than me :( (not that they weren't ever). I've done a few hundred thousand of xp in solo mediums which tend to go pretty well for me since getting level 100 in July. I'm 100k to 101 now and will probably get it before the new year.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

I'm about to start up DG since I'll be up to 60 thanks to penguin points. Right now I'm going for the t6/t5 rings, 2h and shadow hood for the DGS application. I'm not obsessive about gathering every item or not dying, so I'm cool with their method of speed running. I guess I'll even prep with doing team runs on W117 though I wonder if that'll insert bad habits where there are none at the moment.

The thing I find odd is that with as well written guides there are on here and DGS, why aren't there videos that highlight tips and tricks that are difficult to explain with the written word. At the very least show what they're expecting to be done at guardian doors and bosses.

So I guess I'm for the most efficient method since unlike most other things in RS, efficient in DG does not translate to most expensive.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I like to do it with a team, even if it's with randoms, but I'd rather do it with people I know. I don't like speed running the dungeons (Where it doesn't matter if you die), I'm ok with 30-40 minutes per dungeon, but with randoms guys this value tends more to 40-50 (Because sometimes you just get those guys who don't know what to do).

I think I'd consider speed running the dungeons, only if I knew exactly 100% how dungeoneering works on that method, I remember last time I tried it, it was a total failure, because I'm not used to it and I just got yelled at on DGS and pretty much got kicked, so I simply decided to stick to my current method. Not a lot of encouraging to try new methods when people pretty much eat you alive if you screw up just a tiny bit x.X

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

I'm about to start up DG since I'll be up to 60 thanks to penguin points. Right now I'm going for the t6/t5 rings, 2h and shadow hood for the DGS application. I'm not obsessive about gathering every item or not dying, so I'm cool with their method of speed running

It doesn't exactly mean one would want to gather resources or be afraid of dying, not to like speed running. Definitely if you have never dungeoneered with a team before, you're going to have hard time going with DGS. I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible to learn, but it definitely takes dedication and motivation.

Like Tui said, and I respect and understand that opinion, efficient dungeoneers who want to train others to dungeon effectively aswell expect you to do alot of research and learning yourself, by reading guides and having a close look how better dungeoneers do it. Most of us simply don't have that kind of time and dedication, to read alot of guides, learn all the best strategies and keep up to date with new best strategies.

u5zhkTY.gif

If people in a dg yell at you for mistakes, don't let that discourage you or think of it as flaming. Rather, think of it as something that you should build on the next dungeon.

It's how I learned my dg style. I also like being yelled at tbh, it's funny.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I like to key with my friend and pick up 3 randoms from 117 or 148. We usually finish 25-35 min larges. I'm not the most efficient dg'er, I like to prep before boss and make sure I have food and group veng runes. I get yelled at in the rush teams and told "this ain't 117" for cooking before the boss if I join their groups.

Only problem I have with other dg'ers is people who won't contribute ie afking, not helping with boss, or not gating key doors when asked etc which is entirely reasonable to get irritated with in my view.

Laplacian.png