15-Nov-2011 - Breaking Dicing

Carl

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you say something is gambling just because it's not 100% certain you could remove all pvp... the point is that in dicing there was absolutely no way to bend the odds in your favour, ignoring the problems with scamming etc. which Jagex cites as a reason.

Really, so it wasn't players on the other end of the dice bending odds in their favor? I must have missed the memo. No, it's that the house (one of the players) had the capital to back losses. The other player, being silly enough to take an 11:9 against odds literally was choosing to give his money away in the long run.

Oh, but the Duel Arena was much worse odds. Some guys wanted me to not wear armor at Duel Arena even though I had the stats for armor and they did not. So I had a 40 defense but could not use equipment that exploited that level, yet he could exploit his 70 atk for a whip. It's like he was BENDING the odds in his favor. And the odds were much better than 9 to 11 for.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

If you say something is gambling just because it's not 100% certain you could remove all pvp... the point is that in dicing there was absolutely no way to bend the odds in your favour, ignoring the problems with scamming etc. which Jagex cites as a reason.

Really, so it wasn't players on the other end of the dice bending odds in their favor? I must have missed the memo. No, it's that the house (one of the players) had the capital to back losses. The other player, being silly enough to take an 11:9 against odds literally was choosing to give his money away in the long run.

Oh, but the Duel Arena was much worse odds. Some guys wanted me to not wear armor at Duel Arena even though I had the stats for armor and they did not. So I had a 40 defense but could not use equipment that exploited that level, yet he could exploit his 70 atk for a whip. It's like he was BENDING the odds in his favor. And the odds were much better than 9 to 11 for.

Are you REALLY defending dicing? In the duel arena and wild there are ways to bend odds. Dicing has a static 45% chance of winning per roll if it's 55x2. Your duel arena analogy is completely off.

But dicing is a trust game. Yes, there were legitimate hosts, but for every one of them there were bound to be at least ten others who weren't interested in paying out, probably because they lost it all dicing and figure it's the only way to get it back.

The only real similarity between dicing and the duel arena is that they're a form of gambling.

Lol idk what this all says about our playerbase but I guess less ppl falling for scams is good for the game.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

I'm glad dicing is gone, for some reason the "dicing 55x2" spam was more annoying than other types of spam at the G.E.

My only problem with the fix is that now I can't play Dungeons and Dragons with RS friends without suspecting them of re-rolling really bad/important rolls. :(

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

This is a great update nonetheless, but I believe to keep 'gambling' in RuneScape place an NPC for dicing. It would keep the fun around. Gambling is always fun. I never supported dicing because it was a scam though.

Muncheh.png

I collect Acorns, Apple Tree, Banana Tree, and Orange Tree Seeds. Also any seeds you would like to donate to my seed collection.

I'm glad dicing is gone, for some reason the "dicing 55x2" spam was more annoying than other types of spam at the G.E.

My only problem with the fix is that now I can't play Dungeons and Dragons with RS friends without suspecting them of re-rolling really bad/important rolls. :(

that the first time I've actually heard of a real use for the dicebag in RS :P guess its a shame for that, though greater good and all

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

The hosts will come out and say they can move to different games but the reason dicing was so successful was because of the simplicity of the system. I just can't see the community adapting to the flower game or skull ball as quickly. Not to mention that Jagex can just remove whatever form of dicing that does emerge.

I never really had a problem with it so I don't really care too much. I never diced, never saw any reason to bet any money when the host had better odds.

Jagex will in my opinion will never get rid of Gambling in the game. They can remove items from the game, such as those dicing bags, but there will always be a way to gamble, like flower game and seal game.

Here's a new video of Liked:

Holy crap! Two major problems dealt with in as many months. :o Well done, Jagex. Well done. =D>

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

My only real comment on this, is the fact that I am very surprised about the fact that they DIDN'T post this on the front page.

Let's face it, Dicing hurt many more then it helped, and judging by all the responses on this thread so far, I am sure the RSOF are having similar reactions. (Minus the ragers posting multiple threads and posts everywhere, talking about actual numbers of people here.)

Seems like this woulda been the perfect post to put on the front page, when all this is pointed out, would go hand in hand next to the bot removal for the 2 great game changing updates in 2 months.

Makes me wonder if they are keeping this 'hidden' in some type of attempt to catch and ban anyone still trying to get on and Dice today or something.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

Fridge logic.

Jagex says dicing is luck-based while Duel Arena is not? Bullshit. Might as well ban staking.

Still, good to see less scamming.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Fridge logic.

Jagex says dicing is luck-based while Duel Arena is not? Bullshit. Might as well ban staking.

Still, good to see less scamming.

Duel Arena is more like poker than pure 'gambling'. Yes, there's luck at its core, but how you actually profit on average depends on personal skill. Dicing at a profit is simple and requires no skill, and thus devalues the game. I think that's the difference here.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I would like to point out that Jagex does not deny that the duel arena is gambling:

Don’t gamble! There are too many people who will try to scam you or alter the odds in their favour. It’s never supported by JAGEX unless it’s about gameplay (like the duel arena). It’s likely that dice scammers will move over to another method of trying to scam you' date=' so please, be vigilant and remember... if it sounds too good to be true, it’s probably a lie.[/quote']
Flyingjj.png

Duel Arena is more like poker. Yes, there's luck at its core, but how you actually profit on average depends on personal skill. Dicing is simple and requires no skill, and thus devalues the game. I think that's the difference here.

Poker is still gambling, and that was the argument Jagex presented. Whether it requires skill or not is irrelevant, and that wasn't the excuse they used.

crossed_body.png

I love how people aren't focusing on the removal of something that was ruining the game and are instead focusing on some contradiction Jagex stated. Get a grip people.

Dicing was hardly ruining the game, get off your high horse. It was more honest than armor trimming or any other sort of trust trade scam, and those hardly affecting the game.

crossed_body.png

I love how people aren't focusing on the removal of something that was ruining the game and are instead focusing on some contradiction Jagex stated. Get a grip people.

Dicing was hardly ruining the game, get off your high horse. It was more honest than armor trimming or any other sort of trust trade scam, and those hardly affecting the game.

Spamming, buying ranks, scamming, pmods muting from rival dice ccs, spam pms advertising dicing ccs, etc wasn't affecting the game? And most of the scamming was under the guise of something legitimate, unlike trimming.

People Mad: Dice hosts, Addicts

People Happy: Poor people, people unconvinced of the trustworthiness of some dicers

People who don't care: Smart

I was a host in a dice clan, but this doesn't really bug me. The clan I bought a rank in wasn't too great (It's been linked to twice in this thread). I never even broke even off the rank. Oh well. All the clans have already moved on to using the Skullballs or whatever, and when those get removed, they will move onto something else.

You either stop all gambling or you stop none of it, and if you stop all of it, then it's the start of 2007 all over again.