15-Nov-2011 - Coming Next Week: New Website!

tripsis

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/c=*MWYAgAUGiw/coming-next-week-new-website

Were proud to present advance details of our completely overhauled website, which will launch at next weeks update, with loads of new features and a community-editable wiki at its core!

As announced and shown in Novembers Behind the Scenes, the website will have a distinctive new look, including a brand new RuneScape logo, a darkly cool colour palette and a thorough re-structuring of the front page, putting up-to-the-minute information to the fore.

One exciting addition is an all-new Events section, where our Community teams will be able to advertise events and direct you straight to them with ease, using integrated calendars, mark-able maps and a wealth of other fantastic features.

The news section, in particular, has been streamlined, with increased prominence on the page, and the integration of other news sections. Dev Blogs, for example, no longer hide behind the main news feed and can be seen right alongside other news articles.

The old manual has been transplanted into a new, wiki-based format and will form the core of the new website. With the exception of a few key pages maintained solely by Jagex staff, these pages can be edited, and visual assets can be uploaded, by RuneScape account holders who meet certain baseline requirements. In you, we have an amazing community, from those with a decade of RuneScape experience and knowledge to fresh new faces, and with this change were empowering all of you to pool that RuneScape nous for the community to use.

Weve made these changes, and a whole range of others, to make the new website a slick, convenient resource for the whole RuneScape community, but youll have to wait until next week to see the finished result!

The RuneScape Team

In Other News...

- Along with the release of the new website, we will be making hi-scores a members-only feature.

This is for a number of reasons, but the main one is to keep them fresh. We want the hiscores to feature players who will compete with each other, tooth and nail, for hiscore glory. There are many dormant accounts within the hiscores that have not played for a very long time, and this will give new arrivals in Gielinor a shot at hiscore fame alongside the grizzled veterans on equal terms for all.

We want the hiscores to reflect the full range of content that RuneScape has to offer, and hope that they will be a big draw to the full, members game for those interested in high-level RuneScape competition on a level playing field.

- Were pushing back the Wilderness graphics update mentioned in Behind The Scenes, so itll no longer be out in November. Were sorry about this, but its necessary in order to schedule in some of our upcoming anti-bot measures.

I'm curious to know what you guys think about the upcoming RuneScape Wiki set up, how you think it will affect fan sites, and whether or not you will continue to use Tip.It for your game information. And of course.. Jagex is actually cutting back on the features F2P have with the removal of F2P from the high scores. In addition to the regular concerns, F2P will no longer be able to use dynamic stat signatures or use or calculators' auto look up features.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh, finaly we get rid of some of those inactive players from hs, but it should be made so that active f2p also could have theyr names up there :/ aka if you play >x/month, you would remain on hs

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

The Hiscores update is totally retarded, [bleep] Jagex, I finally thought thet theyare going to make good updates, community-friendly updates, but then they came with that idea FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I don't agree with highscores being P2P only, where is the recognition for those in F2P that have trained for years? Make the Highscores show F2P stats if they have 1.5k total plus or more than 250m total xp

[hide=Stats]Dragonkng198.png          Pumpking.png[/hide]

61669e5031.png

71fb431906.png

39c60fedc1.jpg

It's like...it's like they really, really dislike F2P all of a sudden. :S

Why remove the highscores for them? Inactive accounts is a bit of a weak excuse - they can link the last date logged in to your highscores and say, 'if you haven't logged in in X days, you'll not appear in the highscores anymore'.

I'm also not that thrilled about their new design. But meh, I can't pass judgment on it just yet.

Truth be told now, I'm not sure what Jagex is even.

[EDIT] I totally forgot about this. Wiki? Doesn't this kind of mean they're hugging fansites with one arm and stabbing them in the back? Not sure I agree with this strategy either, but at least Tip.It has a glowing community that I can always lean on (so I won't leave).

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Indeed this does kinda screw free-to-play players, such as myself, over, but on the other hand, I have almost anticipated actions such as these from Jagex to further encourage people to get Membership.

Day by day the company is becoming more and more money hungry, I only hope they stop at some point.

My words, but a whisper - your deafness, a shout.

-

If the future's looking dark, we're the ones who have to shine. If there's no one in control, we're the ones who draw the line

-

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand.

Think about the 200M stats ranks, those will be mostly gone also if you have a 200M stat and are f2p and then come back you will be on the bottom again.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I'm glad I found League of Legends, it's a much better free game than Runescape :thumbup:

For this reason I refuse to give any money to Jagex, they don't deserve any of the money they have right now.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

If you don't care enough about rs to play $6 a month, why in the world would you care about highscores ?

This old argument again. There are people who actually play F2P because they like it, maybe even more than the P2P version. And yeah, I paid Jagex money through another account mainly because I wanted to say thanks for the great game F2P is.

And yeah, I have a F2P 200m skill and not so noobish ranks in most other F2P skills. And I'm really mad about this. :(

If they really make the hiscores P2P-only they won't get content from me in the (german) wiki. You can probably only edit the wiki as P2P anyway...

[404] Signature not found.

If you don't care enough about rs to play $6 a month, why in the world would you care about highscores ?

Also, what is the purpose of a business but to make money ? Jagex's goal isn't to be nice to people, it's to make money.

<facepalm>

If you've ever PKed before in F2P, or wanted to check up on the stats of someone who claimed to have such-and-such skill, or you were a pure F2Per and proud to show it, you'd only begin to understand the degree of fail in both Jagex's decision and your statement.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

gf 200M skills in f2p.

GF El popo1 & Water :evil:

Think about the 200M stats ranks, those will be mostly gone also if you have a 200M stat and are f2p and then come back you will be on the bottom again.

Yeah ^ Better take pics of your Ranks & stats on Hs before next week :(

Guess I won't be on the hi-scores on: 200m Cook, 200m Cooker, Makin Wines...

Level 99 Skills 28/28 200M exp Skills 6/28
Going for 200M All Skills. [qfc]48-49-837-63099395[/qfc]

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RS

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

On 12/23/2011 at 4:39 PM, 'Jebrim' said:

But don't even begin to think that I think I'm better than you all simply because I've done 7.6k+ hours of Agility or because I have tens of thousands of fans.

I really can't agree with the highscores being p2p. It would make far more sense if there was a 'minimum activity' limit for f2pers. Active F2Pers are needed to encourage people to become members, and are a large part of the community.

It's like they occasionally forget why there is such a thing as the free game. Learn your own business model, Jagex.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

While I like the fact that inactive players won't show up in the highscores I dislike that they skip whole f2p. What this means is that someone with 200M stats can't take a break without keep paying, also it means that active f2pers get punished for nothing. Just make it so that you have to get xp or minigame points every 3 months (enough time to go on holiday)

Also why can't they make it that you have a f2p highscore and a p2p highscore? They could even limit the f2p highscore to the top 500k players

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

"The World's Most Popular Free MMORPG" indeed, gotta love that phrase.

My words, but a whisper - your deafness, a shout.

-

If the future's looking dark, we're the ones who have to shine. If there's no one in control, we're the ones who draw the line

-

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand.

Jagex just alienated their most loyal fanbase. Seriously, for every legit free player there were 16 bots. Who else would put up with that?

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Also, what is the purpose of a business but to make money ? Jagex's goal isn't to be nice to people, it's to make money.

I understand businesses are about making money.. but if they're actually TAKING AWAY a feature from the F2P game, that would be a really desperate money-making move. Enough to suggest that they're not just money hungry, but low on money and need to get it anywhere they can.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

'Now you must have logged on in the last two months to see yourself on the highscore table.'

There you go Jagex, I just fixed the inactivity problem without alienating half of your users. You're welcome.

I have been a member many times in the past (probably a year total spread over like six), but I keep coming back to F2P because it feels more homely. While I don't play to gain ranks, it is nice to see how I stack up against others in the game. Now I can't do that when I'm F2P, even though I've put nearly $100 into this game?