15-Nov-2011 - Coming Next Week: New Website!

tripsis

I think a separate F2P highscore table would be reasonable; I don't see how it would be that difficult to implement and given how much harder it is to level skills in F2P, it's basically a different game anyway.

My condolences go out to all that had F2P blogs with progress trackers :(

In-regards to Wiki-style RS main page, I think it's a reasonable change, but it would be difficult to moderate. Both the RSKB and current RSWiki are filled with inaccuracies and sometimes poorly written articles. I'm interested in seeing how people qualify for Wiki updates.

The problem with Tip.it and other sites that cannot be freely edited is that they are relatively slow to update, although they are generally more accurate.

I will also openly admit that I primarily use the RSWiki for information since the search algorithm and format setup within wiki software is simply more robust and elegant than Tip.it's current Google search method.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The highscores thing doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother many here. Probably because I've never cared about the highscores. :P

I'm looking forward to the Main Page update, and the wiki-area sounds very interesting. As long as blocking troll-accounts and the requirement to edit it is good enough, I think it's going to be very cool.

Of course I'll still use Tip.It, I'm here for the talk anyway. No calculators have pleased me as much as the ones Tip.It has either. It might be a hit for new players looking for fan-sites however. I can't say for certain.

I've got to say, personally, the hi-scores becoming members only is very depressing. There are some very dedicated F2P players who have very good stats, and this is only taking away any glory they may have had.

Not a great move in my mind, and definitely not community-friendly.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

At first I was excited but now that I think about it, I'm worried. I dislike f2p getting kicked off for the sole reason of legit f2p accounts. I wonder how the RSOWiki will look like. Hope it isn't full of trolls.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Since my account is F2P, there are essentially no records of me ever having played?

Right. Well that seems marvellously fair, doesn't it?

Goodness sake JaGeX, I thought you could do better that this.

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

That highscore update is incredibly stupid. Seems rather low, even for Jagex. However, I hope they fix the highscores a bit and make them viewable in just 1 page like on their old site, rather than having to scroll down multiple times to be able to view all of it.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

That highscore update is incredibly stupid. Seems rather low, even for Jagex. However, I hope they fix the highscores a bit and make them viewable in just 1 page like on their old site, rather than having to scroll down multiple times to be able to view all of it.

It may be. But Javascript trickery need not apply.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

If that's how the front page will look, I have one concern, the "Play Now" link/button may be hard-to-see for younger audiences that like things smack-bang in the middle, I'd suggest having a "Play Now" button right under the new RuneScape logo (which I think actually looks pretty nice).

Tbh, even if we say Jagex 100% only cares about money and nothing else(and on top of that say that we're okay with that), it's STILL stupid.

Runescape from the outside frankly, looks like a horrible game. Only if you have played it for a while you do understand why it's actually a great game. By continuing to deteriorate the F2P game, they essentially destroy their game in the long run. Sure, if you think simply, more membership incentives -> more members, but it doesn't work like that. Would you be the full version of a bad game? Obviously not. The same applies here. Of course member's runescape should be far superior, but f2p should still be a good game, just with less stuff to do. As said, for most players, you will actually spend months in f2p before you even think about getting members. If something in f2p makes you quit before you get to the stage of thinking about membership, that's one customer lost. And f2p runescape to a large portion consists of levels. There aren't that many activities to do. How in seven hells is a game centered around levels supposed to keep the broad mass of people playing if they can't compare themselves?

I personally don't give a damn about highscores...but I really understand the frustration of those affected, and can't put into words how stupid this move really was #-o

Does this mean stat sigs for f2pers won't work?

Unsure on my stance on making high scores solely for members, but I think those with 100m+ exp should be recognized for their hard work. Also, I dislike how they pushed back Wilderness graphics since it looked really interesting.

Unsure on my stance on making high scores solely for members, but I think those with 100m+ exp should be recognized for their hard work. Also, I dislike how they pushed back Wilderness graphics since it looked really interesting.

Correct. F2P will not be able to use stat signatures or the tool on calculators that automatically retrieves their stats.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Yup. And any f2p'er using RuneScript / RuneTracker / RuneTrack to work out levels / exp / tracking stats / anything else skill related will be screwed over as well.

A poorly thought out idea by Jagex.

Yikes. Have to manually type the numbers is one thing, but I think they should simply "hide" f2pers from the hiscores instead of not accounting them entirely.

It seems silly they're doing that despite the fact it will hurt f2pers who don't even look at the high schools at all. "Poorly thought out" might be more of an understatement.

Can I be blunt?

There is a solution to this 'problem': pay the ridiculously high price of £3.50 total a month and your place in the hiscores will be preserved.

Yeah... it's a funny concept, y'know, paying for stuff. [bleep] you Jagex... [bleep] you.

They offered F2pers a ton of shit in the past few years compared to previous years of Rs. Plus this game is one of the cheapest games out there for hourly content. I don't even play at the moment and I haven't let my membership lapse in 5 years because it's just so cheap at 5$ monthly to be able to hop on at any time of boredom.

Low_C.png

If you don't care enough about rs to play $6 a month, why in the world would you care about highscores ?

Bro, this is tip.it forums, not RSOF

Thank you for that exceedingly ironic post.

We are entitled to basic human rights (life liberty property), unfortunately being able to view your highscores from a game is not included in that. If you have a problem with a free service being provided to you then do no partake in said service. To all those saying Jagex doesn't know what they are doing, you have to look at the end game. There are things that will happen.

1. Some people leave, those people have had f2p long enough that they probably were never going to get members,

2. People who really care about there highscores get members.

Jagex really has nothing to lose and they have the potential for profit.

britonlongbo.png

To be honest I'm more miffed about them not being able to use the calcs or stat signatures, I've never been one to care about ranks but the calcs are very useful tools that jagex is completely removing from f2p's toolbox.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

This is just as big of a blow to fansites as F2P. Not only will Tip.it lose a lot of traffic from this new wiki but the removal of F2P highscores will affect tons of features Tip.it and other fansites provide.

Things it will affect for F2P and fansites:

Stat Trackers

Stat Signatures

Quest + Skill + Combat Calculators

Runescript commands

All of the above now either can't be used by F2P or are a lot more tedious to use. Think of how this will affect how F2P clans have to go about checking minimum requirements for members as well; there are just so many implications that this will cause and so many other viable solutions to the BS reasoning behind this change.

Not happy with this at all.