15-Nov-2011 - Coming Next Week: New Website!

tripsis

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There goes all the goodwill they got from finally fixing the dicing problem. Just when I was starting to believe that Jagex actually cared about their own game again. :wall:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Is anyone happy with with the highscores change? Just wondering.

I can assure you no non-members are.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

I am wondering why members were concerned with the high scores anymore aside from some special milestone achievement. After all, it seemed rather trivial since there is a 200m player in every current stat and even a new billion marker isn't noticed as much now. Now that f2pers are to be autokicked off the scores, what is the point in trying to immortalize yourself (don't know why) since it requires a sort of rent.

They offered F2pers a ton of shit in the past few years compared to previous years of Rs. Plus this game is one of the cheapest games out there for hourly content. I don't even play at the moment and I haven't let my membership lapse in 5 years because it's just so cheap at 5$ monthly to be able to hop on at any time of boredom.

Doesn't justify the action, though.

If you don't care enough about rs to play $6 a month, why in the world would you care about highscores ?

Bro, this is tip.it forums, not RSOF

Thank you for that exceedingly ironic post.

We are entitled to basic human rights (life liberty property), unfortunately being able to view your highscores from a game is not included in that. If you have a problem with a free service being provided to you then do no partake in said service. To all those saying Jagex doesn't know what they are doing, you have to look at the end game. There are things that will happen.

1. Some people leave, those people have had f2p long enough that they probably were never going to get members,

2. People who really care about there highscores get members.

Jagex really has nothing to lose and they have the potential for profit.

Actually, Jagex has a whole lot to lose from this. They lose a lot of publicity and potential revenue from future Members, and actual paying Members that disagree with this move could easily rescind their membership. Not to mention, I can't think of any free game that forces you to pay to show how good you're doing, unless it's a completely paid-for game.

You'll come to realize it in time, that this move is absolutely indefensible.

This is just as big of a blow to fansites as F2P. Not only will Tip.it lose a lot of traffic from this new wiki but the removal of F2P highscores will affect tons of features Tip.it and other fansites provide.

Things it will affect for F2P and fansites:

Stat Trackers

Stat Signatures

Quest + Skill + Combat Calculators

Runescript commands

All of the above now either can't be used by F2P or are a lot more tedious to use. Think of how this will affect how F2P clans have to go about checking minimum requirements for members as well; there are just so many implications that this will cause and so many other viable solutions to the BS reasoning behind this change.

Not happy with this at all.

I'm mostly agreeing with the damage it's doing to fansites. What exactly did Jagex have in mind when they wanted to bond with fansites? I hope this wasn't their idea of the three E's (Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish) that I wouldn't doubt they wanted to pursue four years ago.

It just seems like too much collateral damage for no substantial gain. Who really benefits from this?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

This is just as big of a blow to fansites as F2P. Not only will Tip.it lose a lot of traffic from this new wiki but the removal of F2P highscores will affect tons of features Tip.it and other fansites provide.

I thought the whole point of a fansite was to improve access for RuneScape players to knowledge-based resources. Why, then, does it matter if these resources are found on the RuneScape website or Tip.It? If Jagex's own resources are better at educating players than ours are, how is that their responsiblity and why should they give any care to our own hypothetically dilapidated content?

You seem to be advocating the denial of access to better learning materials from Jagex, simply because it's not been done by us.

I don't see how their wiki would be much better then RSwiki, full of big bugs. So I don't think you will lose many people visiting tip.it

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I disagree with removing all F2P from the highscores.

There should be some sort of compromise. If their purpose is to remove the "inactive" accounts, they can easily do that using the "last logged in on DATE".

As for what "DATE" is, I would say 3,6,9, or 12months is reasonable. (The longer the better).

I think the only consolation prize is that Jagex (with their new site update) isn't spouting nonsense about it being "the world's largest free MMO" anymore. At least, I didn't notice any of that.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

The solution for stale people on the highscores would be an activity filter. People who no longer train/play could simply be removed, and added again if they start playing. Nice to see them admit its a marketing thing for once though. I mean, they had their silly excuse (with an obvious better solution), but they did come out and admit that they are hoping this will encourage membership. At least they are being honest about it.

It just goes to show you that all the people who feel the need to makthings up or use hyperbole to say that Jagex is screwing up is wasting their game. Just let their actions speak for themselves. No idea how they could be so dense.

On another note, anyone else think the wiki thing is odd? I mean, is it because they don't want to bother anymore? Is it because the manual is always screwed up? Is it because RSwiki is more accurate than their official guides? Personally I think they are tired of trying to communicate to the website team stats and stuff since they never get it right anyway.

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

I think it's ridiculous that they made all that fuss last year about their Guinness World Record holding free player, and now there won't even be a live record of her existence anymore.

It was a classic Jagex article though, all this good and then the last few lines kill any joy I had out of it. This game needs to cater to the history it has, wiping out all those loyal faces just kills the community it's trying to nurture. I would like to see them rescind this sentiment.

Guest jrhairychest

Can I be blunt?

There is a solution to this 'problem': pay the ridiculously high price of £3.50 total a month and your place in the hiscores will be preserved.

Yeah... it's a funny concept, y'know, paying for stuff. [bleep] you Jagex... [bleep] you.

How dare you suggest that people pay for something!!!! It's just not on. Next you'll expect players not to bot :-P

I thought the whole point of a fansite was to improve access for RuneScape players to knowledge-based resources. Why, then, does it matter if these resources are found on the RuneScape website or Tip.It? If Jagex's own resources are better at educating players than ours are, how is that their responsiblity and why should they give any care to our own hypothetically dilapidated content?

You seem to be advocating the denial of access to better learning materials from Jagex, simply because it's not been done by us.

As it's a wiki won't it be updated by fans anyway?

Didn't read every single post but surprised I didn't come across the word micro-transaction in this thread yet...

Maybe it's part of their "Oh hey look the f2p servers at running with < 100 people on each of them! Let's see if we can make them completely empty to justify getting rid of some of them!" campaign that's no doubt going on...

Also, just having read all about how wonderfully reliable community-editability is in another thread....

Same old Jagex... One step forwards, two steps back. :blink:

I'm reminded of "Chutes and Ladders". They've made a huge climb to the near top, but then manage to get to the same slide that puts 'em back at square one every single time. :|

s1L0U.jpg

Didn't read every single post but surprised I didn't come across the word micro-transaction in this thread yet...

Maybe it's part of their "Oh hey look the f2p servers at running with < 100 people on each of them! Let's see if we can make them completely empty to justify getting rid of some of them!" campaign that's no doubt going on...

Also, just having read all about how wonderfully reliable community-editability is in another thread....

If you want to find micro-transactions, just go look at every "Free" game that they compare F2P runescape to. It's a business, they're going to either add inducements to switch to P2P, or add in pay2win micros. One or the other. (Or both, in the worst case scenario) If they stuck with their business model from 2004, they'd be bought out by a competitor who modernized and then that competitor would institute the pay2win instead.

I think the only consolation prize is that Jagex (with their new site update) isn't spouting nonsense about it being "the world's largest free MMO" anymore. At least, I didn't notice any of that.

Well the screenshot they provide seems to be of the media page so we still don't know what will be on the homepage.. but we'll see :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Perhaps a better idea would be to have monthly tables for all the skills for newer players and to leave the cumulative score tables unfiltered. That way both camps win. Highlight the up-and-coming players, if you will, with their own tables.

I realize that there is no way to this with legacy XP data, so the suggestion would be for this point forward.

Just throwing it against the wall to see if it will stick.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

The problem is these materials aren't going to be from Jagex.

With the exception of a few key pages maintained solely by Jagex staff, these pages can be edited, and visual assets can be uploaded, by RuneScape account holders who meet certain baseline requirements.

Essentially it's going to be a fansite just like all the ones we have now except hosted by on Jagex servers. If all new players see this when they start playing will anyone even bother looking for a different resource? Jagex seems to be pushing for one big community which if successful will hurt other fansites and the communities they have built up. This won't improve game information at all, just make it so that players never have to leave runescape.com.

If it was just the wiki it wouldn't be so bad but then Jagex turns around and removes high scores for F2P, removing a huge reason for them to visit fansites for stat tracking, signatures, etc.

wow... F2p only highscores is a terrible idea

Yes there are old inactive accounts up on the highscores... But those people earned their places there, aside from sad losses to first 200m players, old inactive players like larryr who has been on the first page of runecraft for as long as I can remember, or 'the old nite' will just completely disappear from runescape.

It is not like the old nite is going to ever be renewing membership, but why should the account be completely removed from the runescape highscores.

It is basically saying, as you no longer pay us, your achievements no longer deserve to be recognized.

I am not a f2p player at all, and never interact with the f2p game, but still understand how much not being able to use runetracker and other stuff must suck.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

wow... F2p only highscores is a terrible idea

Yes there are old inactive accounts up on the highscores... But those people earned their places there, aside from sad losses to first 200m players, old inactive players like larryr who has been on the first page of runecraft for as long as I can remember, or 'the old nite' will just completely disappear from runescape.

It is not like the old nite is going to ever be renewing membership, but why should the account be completely removed from the runescape highscores.

It is basically saying, as you no longer pay us, your achievements no longer deserve to be recognized.

I am not a f2p player at all, and never interact with the f2p game, but still understand how much not being able to use runetracker and other stuff must suck.

I agree. Players of old can not be forgotten. I don't know how I'd feel if Zezima, a huge motivation when I was a tiny level 3, got removed from the highscores or from the game altogether.

Player achievements must be honored.

crossed_body.png