It's not a "free" MMORPG anymore.

Youmu

Up until now, I've always been the kind who just takes what we get in a free game. However, that attitude has changed.

It just seems like, the more Runescape progresses, the more Jagex tries to shut down their free-to-play fanbase, in any way possible.

First was the dg xp cap. Makes no sense, you could still do it 2cb3sk and still get similar times. Useless.

Next were those capes. They were PROMISED to be for everyone, but Jagex pulled off a "lolno" and made them all members only.

Similar things happened to Master Runecrafter Robes.

Fast forward to today (because my memory is just that tiny), where we just had the bot nuke. Jagex promised events for everyone but again, they pulled off a "lolno" and every single bonus event thus far is members. Not that I'm complaining or anything, I'm happy with all the bots removed.

Then Jagex proceeds to eliminate the f2p hiscores altogether.

My final straw has been blown.

Runescape is not "free" anymore. If you're playing it for "free" you really should play a different free game, like League of Legends (which, by the way, is MUCH better than even p2p Runescape).

Please, do yourselves a favor and quit this goddamned game. It's being run by moneyhungry dictators.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was painful for me to read this announcement. There are so many negative aspects to this proposition... I feel at a loss for words. On one hand I can understand the reasoning... On the other I am overcome by by a feelings of alienation and betrayal.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Normally I would be a douche and just reply with "lolumad", but honestly I have to agree with you this time (even as a paying member). I remember when I used to enjoy playing RS and I was entirely an f2p player... but when was the last time they released something for f2p that actually looked like there was some consideration for the free players? Don't even try to say that DG is f2p friendly when you can't even make your code stop spawning p2p doors all the time. I get that Jagex is a company and their main goal is to pull in revenue, but they should understand that quite a few of their paying customers started putting down the cash because they enjoyed f2p so much and thought that p2p would be loads better. Sadly, free to play looks exactly the same as it did 6 years ago and well... the rest has already been said. They're really just after money and money alone now; rather than convincing f2pers to pay because of the promise of quality content in p2p, now Jagex is not doing anything but forcing them over.

One day, all that remains of f2p will be merely tutorial island...

Follow my road to 5.6/Gold Reaper/True Trim - DAT BLOG

On the other I am overcome by by a feelings of alienation and betrayal.

You nailed it.

I third this. Getting a bit sick of F2P getting flipped off, when it's the F2P game that gives a person an impression of RuneScape overall. Hell, now I have to worry if my stat sig will even continue to function. :angry:

~D. V. "Not happy about this either..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I hate the f2p game, that's the reason I pay six dollars a month. And this thread makes me hate it even more.

I used to be a douchebag and said "You need to be on a members server to talk to this guy." to all free players who wanted to talk to me, but I now realize this is no joke.

But can you expect anything less? I mean Jagex is a company and their main goal is money. Why else do you think they were more concerned about swearing than the real issues the game had for years? Because all they want is money.

Unfortunately Jagex is not the only company that's guilty of this, all companies are.

I can kind of understand not giving F2P that many updates and occasionally giving them the short end of the stick (since after all, they are not paying). But taking away features that F2P has had for years is a new low and something that I do not support. Their justification (wanting the high scores to be active members) is complete BS since they could easily implement an activity requirement or even have separate high scores. But there is no need and no justification for removing F2P from high scores completely.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

It's made even worse by the fact that they have the most redundant explanation for it, to paraphrase: "We want players to have a full scope of the competition of high level gameplay". It's one thing to add advertisements for P2P (mercenaries), it's an entirely different thing to remove an entire feature. If anything this is going to put people off paying for members (after all who is going to pay $6 a month just to get listed on the highscores?).

Normally I'd be one to say you have to pay for content but the highscores are such an integral part of the game that cutting F2P out of them is probably one of the worst decisions they have made over the past couple of years. I hope that Jagex realize their mistake because they are going to kill off their F2P community if they continue down a road like this.

Yeah... I don't see why they should remove F2P high scores. Hell, it shouldn't be hard to implement a PVP highscores, should it?

As for DG, I've long thought that the exp cap was only a temporary solution back when DG first came out and F2P had access to all floors.

But yeah... now F2P is losing content? I mean, I stopped caring about the highscores ages ago, but still.

Like many members, I've often thought that Jagex should actually look into moving some of the oudated P2P content over to F2P. Not start getting rid of it. (Even if it's something, imho, as useless as the highscores.)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

As I stated in the update discussion topic, Jagex has just killed all of the goodwill they got from fixing the dicing and bot problems. I'm not going to lie and say I don't care about the highscores because I do look at where I am overall from time to time and now they've taken that away from not just me but everybody else as well.

I get frustrated that F2P doesn't get many updates, but, as someone who stuck it out through the massive bot infestation of the last year, to just take away such a large feature is a huge smack in the face.

What's next? Free players can no longer use Rune armor/items or can't do the Dragon Slayer quest?

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

What I don't get is that they give F2P players the ability to post on forums (honestly there are normal F2P-ers but the average F2Per on RSOF is not quite smart, well the average P2P on RSOF isn't either but at least a bit more then F2P) Then they take away the highscores.

So why first give such a thing as posting on forums and then take away the highscores? Doesn't make sense.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I really am ashamed of all the shitty decisions Jagex has made, no wonder a lot of people hate this game.

But I have a question, are the people at World of Warcraft showing more respect to the fans? Really, I wanna know as I never played the game therefore can't judge by myself.

It's a shame, it's a shame, it's a shame...

They really haven't given much for F2P to be thankful for. Quite the opposite - they're taking everything else away. I am truly disgusted by this sudden move, as it shows two things: They never cared for F2P, and they are seriously hurting for cash.

This is something that has been in the game, for all, since the beginning. The only reason they would take it away now is if they're smarting for cash. And it's only going to hurt more, now.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

The only reason they would take it away now is if they're smarting for cash. And it's only going to hurt more, now.

Yep, that's completely correct.

Sadly, it's not possible to stop bad business. Millions of people play RuneScape every day. So there is no excuse to not treat the players with respect.

In fact there is something else I wanna say. It took Jagex years to make the option of disabling filters. But nobody should be banned for speaking their minds, I hate it when somebody gets banned for swearing when he doesn't even use the word damn, hell or even the F word. It sickens me to no end.

Also, there was no excuse to filter the word yahoo in the first place, it's more than just a company name, it's also a common phrase.

I know this post is completely irrelevant to this thread, but this needed to be said, really, it did.

How am I supposed to get my friends who would be new to RS to play with me, when there isn't a highscores to easily compare/compete with them?

Without this, they won't be able to compare their stats to mine, or vice-versa to have a PERSONAL competition. I don't want to compete with every joe-blow who spends TONS of time on the game! I want to compare myself with the other people I know IRL that play!

Many of my friends, and myself, are P2P, but many are F2P and anyone I invite to the game will want to start out F2P.

Don't remove F2P hiscores. EoS.

Terrible decision. I don't see why they can't just split the high scores or remove inactive users from the list if it's such a big deal.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Are the guys on Jagex seriously that stupid? Do they think that making the free game as crappy as possible will make the players become p2p ASAP to avoid the frustration?

I played f2p for 3 years before I became p2p, it took me that long to make that decision, it wasn't because of highscores or shit, it was because I thought I liked the game and wanted to get more content.

Amonitas.png

Quest cape since 11th July 99 Farming 4th February 99 Cooking 31st August

Even as a 'overglorified demo':-

- Are you able to play: yes (assuming it's a game, no?)

- It's free: yes (well technically, no, you're paying via observation of ads)

Thus: Free MMORPG.

It may indeed be a dick move to cut highscores out (and to me a rather pointless one), but whats done is done. The game is still there for you f2p guys.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Yes, the game is free.

But the "free" game has been hit by the nerfhammer so hard by Jagex that it's just not worth playing the game in its free state now. Either get members (which I don't recommend) or find another game to play.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Yes, the game is free.

But the "free" game has been hit by the nerfhammer so hard by Jagex that it's just not worth playing the game in its free state now. Either get members (which I don't recommend) or find another game to play.

Why not getting members and continue being a free player? You have the highscores and you still have the fuzzy feeling of being f2p?

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!