Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Statistics of the F2P game

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

BiJay
[ Display Name History ]

BiJay

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 873 posts
These are not all f2p worlds, you missed the other languages...

[404] Signature not found.

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

Unless the French worlds have 4000 people logged in at once, I don't see how it matters. The fact that they're running at about a quarter of their capacity after shutting servers down is troubling.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Piu
[ Display Name History ]

Piu

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • RSN:Piu
  • Clan:EoE

As I 've said many times now, all jagex is trying to do these days is extracting as much revenue from the dying game as possible.
They don't giv a damn about new players - only to get more money from the hardcore/loyal players.

With the bot removal they have a prime opportunity to revitalize f2p, but they decide to get as much membership out of itas possible. There is no hope for f2p or the rest of the game in general...

Updates prepared and planned that are mentioned to be released in 2012 during Runefest says otherwise. I don't think they're milking the game before leaving it to die, rather than taking a different approach to how they're treating this game.

It could be possible that Jagex is slowly killing off the F2P playerbase by gambling their chances with the game, making them either subscribe or quit. Either ways, I won't be surprised if they remove F2P comepletely by the end of 2013.
Posted Image
Posted Image

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

pal2002
[ Display Name History ]

pal2002

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • Location:Thine alabaster cities gleam, Undimmed by human tears
Honestly, jagex's current tactics can only be digging its own grave. Free to play mmo's are all the rage out there, plus the single player games that offer unlimited multiplayer after you buy it. The other subscription only games out there offer much more than what rs does and all offer lengthy free to play time without being haggled to buy membership at every second. F2P->P2P is what runescape is, and how its business runs. Stopping that will surely hurt the game in the long run.
I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles
Posted Image

BiJay
[ Display Name History ]

BiJay

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 873 posts

Unless the French worlds have 4000 people logged in at once, I don't see how it matters. The fact that they're running at about a quarter of their capacity after shutting servers down is troubling.

Of course it matters. If he wants to make a statistic he should do it properly. And there are 3 other languages, not only french btw...

And since the bot overrun it should be clear there aren't many legit f2p players left. Who would continue playing a game if he already gets spammed in the first 5 minutes? Yeah, not many. There weren't many new players that's why Jagex had to stop it or they would've run out of business quite soon.

[404] Signature not found.

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

Of course it matters. If he wants to make a statistic he should do it properly. And there are 3 other languages, not only french btw...

And since the bot overrun it should be clear there aren't many legit f2p players left. Who would continue playing a game if he already gets spammed in the first 5 minutes? Yeah, not many. There weren't many new players that's why Jagex had to stop it or they would've run out of business quite soon.

Right now there are 406 free players on one French server, 1900 free players on two Portuguese servers, and 93 players on a German server. Still about the same ratio at 30%

♪♪ And I'm not done

Piu
[ Display Name History ]

Piu

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 840 posts
Including other languaged worlds, the disparity shouldn't be much. Maybe I should include 'rough statistics' in the title. :rolleyes:
Posted Image
Posted Image

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

Right now there are 406 free players on one French server, 1900 free players on two Portuguese servers, and 93 players on a German server. Still about the same ratio at 30%

So there's a higher percentage of free players on the foreign language servers? I wonder why.

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

So there's a higher percentage of free players on the foreign language servers? I wonder why.

It's a percentage of capacity. 8.6k / 64k versus 2.4k / 8k

♪♪ And I'm not done

RU_Insane
[ Display Name History ]

RU_Insane

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 781 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN '07:RU Insane
Assuming the numbers are proportional enough to be representative of the free-player base, yeah. Otherwise, no.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Gullible
[ Display Name History ]

Gullible

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • RSN:Fiddlededee
Surprisingly low amount, somehow i get the impression its just the way Jagex wants it.

Bxpprod
[ Display Name History ]

Bxpprod

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Bxpprod
These numbers represent how many people were online at one moment in time when the screenshot was taken.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Piu
[ Display Name History ]

Piu

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 840 posts
I've updated the first post, and added the percentage of the F2P playerbase to the whole RuneScape playerbase as of this time.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fire_Hawk154
[ Display Name History ]

Fire_Hawk154

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • RSN:Fire Hawk154
  • RSN2:Bud Bundy
  • Clan:CE, TLL, TR, FD
Unless Members start gathering their own resources, I don't see Runescape existing without F2P.

B71AkU0.png      Fire_Hawk154.png

Blabb
[ Display Name History ]

Blabb

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Yet again, Piu, you neglect the many F2P players who play in foreign worlds.

britonlongbow
[ Display Name History ]

britonlongbow

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 587 posts
  • RSN:britonlongbo
I find it comical how overdramatic people are being about this. They are taking away One thing from f2p ( something generally not even used by the players that would consider members). Yet somehow " No one will play f2p anymore!" and " Jagex is actively destroying f2p".

This is no different than the pop-up ads in f2p, it's a small update trying to get more members. The f2p game has not fundamentally changed. People who wanted members will get it because they want more to do, not because they can sees that they are ranked 1.4 millionth in fishing.
Posted Image

The_Blue_G
[ Display Name History ]

The_Blue_G

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • RSN:The Blue G
  • Clan:Rogue Ninja Civ
Yep
Posted Image

Sinkhan
[ Display Name History ]

Sinkhan

Ex-Website Crew

• Members
  • 2,662 posts
I think you could have a game of manhunt on one of the worlds with 53 people on it

Blabb
[ Display Name History ]

Blabb

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I find it comical how overdramatic people are being about this. They are taking away One thing from f2p ( something generally not even used by the players that would consider members). Yet somehow " No one will play f2p anymore!" and " Jagex is actively destroying f2p".

I cannot agree with this comment. I think, firstly, that people are not being overdramatic - the reactions that I see on these forums and on the RSOF seem to be rather sober under the circumstances. You must understand that even Jagex thought this would be a very controversial update - why else would they have announced it a week beforehand? You might infer that they announced it only in the "In other news..." part of their news post. But the other part of their announcement was not exactly new (with the exception of the RS Wiki which is equally controversial from the fan site point of view) - that there would be a whole new website we knew since the BTS for November.

The other part of the above quoted statement that I deem critical is the generalisation you make here. I assume you refer to yourself in saying that f2p players do not (I quote) "generally" use the hiscores, not even those f2p players who consider becoming members. Well, I for one would have to disagree. While I was a pure f2per, it was a challenge to get all my skills ranked on the hiscores. As soon as I would log out after hours of hard work, the first thing I would do was look in awe at my rather mediocre (by today's standards "noobish" :P) levels. The hiscores were a form of entertainment matched only by that my friends provided me in-game. I had over 20M exp in one skill before I decided to become a member so as to accelerate my progress. Once I left the members game and decided to take a break from RS, I still returned from time to time to see my ever dropping ranks. Then I started playing the F2P game again, referred to the hiscores and again decided to renew my membership. So what I'm saying is: for f2pers, former members and members alike, the hiscores are a point of orientation and rather enticing. They mark our achievements.

This community does not only consist of members. F2p is the backbone of the member version. Without f2p, the member version would never exist. On tip.it, we have many pure f2pers, whose achievements will be negated with this update. So yes, if people are being overdramatic: good for them. Taking away one thing from f2p is a big deal, as it has never happened in the past. It is also a warning to all of us that Jagex can take away anything they want, and that we have no way of changing that.

This thinly veiled disapproval of f2pers that I have seen from certain people is quite ironic, seeing as we all have been f2pers in the past, and not one person has bought p2p without having previously been in f2p (and have liked it enough to buy membership).

la la la
[ Display Name History ]

la la la

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
This only represents how much a member plays compared to a non-member. If you assume a member plays 3x as much as a nonmember, then suddenly the player base is almost evenly split member/free player.

lalalasig2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users