Statistics of the F2P game

Piu

These are not all f2p worlds, you missed the other languages...

Unless the French worlds have 4000 people logged in at once, I don't see how it matters. The fact that they're running at about a quarter of their capacity after shutting servers down is troubling.

Of course it matters. If he wants to make a statistic he should do it properly. And there are 3 other languages, not only french btw...

And since the bot overrun it should be clear there aren't many legit f2p players left. Who would continue playing a game if he already gets spammed in the first 5 minutes? Yeah, not many. There weren't many new players that's why Jagex had to stop it or they would've run out of business quite soon.

Right now there are 406 free players on one French server, 1900 free players on two Portuguese servers, and 93 players on a German server. Still about the same ratio at 30%

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Including other languaged worlds, the disparity shouldn't be much. Maybe I should include 'rough statistics' in the title. :rolleyes:

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Right now there are 406 free players on one French server, 1900 free players on two Portuguese servers, and 93 players on a German server. Still about the same ratio at 30%

So there's a higher percentage of free players on the foreign language servers? I wonder why.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

So there's a higher percentage of free players on the foreign language servers? I wonder why.

It's a percentage of capacity. 8.6k / 64k versus 2.4k / 8k

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I've updated the first post, and added the percentage of the F2P playerbase to the whole RuneScape playerbase as of this time.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I find it comical how overdramatic people are being about this. They are taking away One thing from f2p ( something generally not even used by the players that would consider members). Yet somehow " No one will play f2p anymore!" and " Jagex is actively destroying f2p".

This is no different than the pop-up ads in f2p, it's a small update trying to get more members. The f2p game has not fundamentally changed. People who wanted members will get it because they want more to do, not because they can sees that they are ranked 1.4 millionth in fishing.

britonlongbo.png

I find it comical how overdramatic people are being about this. They are taking away One thing from f2p ( something generally not even used by the players that would consider members). Yet somehow " No one will play f2p anymore!" and " Jagex is actively destroying f2p".

I cannot agree with this comment. I think, firstly, that people are not being overdramatic - the reactions that I see on these forums and on the RSOF seem to be rather sober under the circumstances. You must understand that even Jagex thought this would be a very controversial update - why else would they have announced it a week beforehand? You might infer that they announced it only in the "In other news..." part of their news post. But the other part of their announcement was not exactly new (with the exception of the RS Wiki which is equally controversial from the fan site point of view) - that there would be a whole new website we knew since the BTS for November.

The other part of the above quoted statement that I deem critical is the generalisation you make here. I assume you refer to yourself in saying that f2p players do not (I quote) "generally" use the hiscores, not even those f2p players who consider becoming members. Well, I for one would have to disagree. While I was a pure f2per, it was a challenge to get all my skills ranked on the hiscores. As soon as I would log out after hours of hard work, the first thing I would do was look in awe at my rather mediocre (by today's standards "noobish" :P) levels. The hiscores were a form of entertainment matched only by that my friends provided me in-game. I had over 20M exp in one skill before I decided to become a member so as to accelerate my progress. Once I left the members game and decided to take a break from RS, I still returned from time to time to see my ever dropping ranks. Then I started playing the F2P game again, referred to the hiscores and again decided to renew my membership. So what I'm saying is: for f2pers, former members and members alike, the hiscores are a point of orientation and rather enticing. They mark our achievements.

This community does not only consist of members. F2p is the backbone of the member version. Without f2p, the member version would never exist. On tip.it, we have many pure f2pers, whose achievements will be negated with this update. So yes, if people are being overdramatic: good for them. Taking away one thing from f2p is a big deal, as it has never happened in the past. It is also a warning to all of us that Jagex can take away anything they want, and that we have no way of changing that.

This thinly veiled disapproval of f2pers that I have seen from certain people is quite ironic, seeing as we all have been f2pers in the past, and not one person has bought p2p without having previously been in f2p (and have liked it enough to buy membership).

Just some things i like to say.

Rs is F2p. P2P is an add on.

after been punshed with 90% of the bots (mainly cb3, goldfarming) on a much smaller map, concentrated on less spots than there are on p2p, over month and month with no sign of plan to change, you now wonder, why there less f2p.

the highscore not just the highscore on rs hp. this highscore is used to generate spezial highscores on external sites. these external hs been used by f2p communitys. like runeheadlist of top 250 pure f2p acc.

the foreign servers are vari alot to pike time. cause if its nite in the usa, england and australlians playing...or philipiniens. but at 2am in zentral europe most of german/frensh speaking rs players in bed.

Sorry for my horroble english,

Argal Gonner

Elected Leader of Ger_f2p

• 4 weeks later...

It is not the hiscore that counts. It is the attitude that counts.If Jagex ignore f2p, sooner or later, nobody will play f2p runecape, and sooner or later, nobody will sign up for membership. As people retire from Runescape, the game will shrink and die. Jagex sure have lost their beloved Golden Joystick Award to new competitors (League of Legends? not sure on this) this year.

What it indicates? It indicates that the game is no longer attractive to its rivals.

A game is spread by the word of mouth. I am sure that you have played a game (outside Runescape) just because your peers have told you "it is fun" or "it is cool". Just look at the Skyrim madness these days. Yet Jagex tries to rid itself of its strength, trying to rely on p2p members alone. Nobody will buy pay $6 and become a member the first minute, especially given the economic situation today. The minute a new player logon and enters Lumbridge. His first impression: "****, Runescape is such a difficult game with so many skills, I don't even know how to start", and find that f2p Lumbridge is deserted, with nobody to help him. I am sure, the next minute, he will logout - forever. Not to mention that f2p quests are woefully unrelated to the main storylines.

Runescape is already inferior when it comes to graphics, learning curve (even for members! Imagine you start training agility? Half an hour walk from Lumbridge!) and combat mechanics (yes, it SUCKS). If they rid themselves of f2p contents, Jagex will not manage to hold itself in the vicious competition of MMOs.

Members will try to counter-argue that it is they who pay and therefore count. Well, not trying to argue that non members should get as much as p2p, but I think, a piece of update (quests, skill addon, minigame..., excluding graphical makeover / festival stuffs) once per 2 to 3 months will not be a lot to ask for. I think that will also provide some low level member contents that the p2p version of the game is kinda lacking.

BLOSSOM_KING.png

A new member; f2p for 4+ years

Seldom get online due to in real life business

Always support f2p improvements

Honestly, jagex's current tactics can only be digging its own grave. Free to play mmo's are all the rage out there, plus the single player games that offer unlimited multiplayer after you buy it. The other subscription only games out there offer much more than what rs does and all offer lengthy free to play time without being haggled to buy membership at every second. F2P->P2P is what runescape is, and how its business runs. Stopping that will surely hurt the game in the long run.
Runescape is already inferior when it comes to graphics, learning curve (even for members! Imagine you start training agility? Half an hour walk from Lumbridge!) and combat mechanics (yes, it SUCKS). If they rid themselves of f2p contents, Jagex will not manage to hold itself in the vicious competition of MMOs.

Exactly, I've even posted something similar to this in another thread:

Everyone knows that in order to maximize profits, you have to please the potential customers. Not only to give them a product they want to put money towards, but also a company they want to put money towards. (I can't tell you how much I hear people say they won't buy something just off the basis that their commercial is annoying or one of their company policies are ridiculous.) I'm sure by the look of this thread that not too many P2P are happy with the update either.

Jagex explicitly snatched away F2P hi scores from anyone with the impression that their legacy would remain with the Runescape world even after death. It just goes to show that Jagex is much more concerned about making money than making a respectable, longstanding, nostalgia-invoking computer game that fans can appreciate for a lifetime.

It is not the hiscore that counts. It is the attitude that counts.If Jagex ignore f2p, sooner or later, nobody will play f2p runecape, and sooner or later, nobody will sign up for membership. As people retire from Runescape, the game will shrink and die. Jagex sure have lost their beloved Golden Joystick Award to new competitors (League of Legends? not sure on this) this year.

What it indicates? It indicates that the game is no longer attractive to its rivals.

A game is spread by the word of mouth. I am sure that you have played a game (outside Runescape) just because your peers have told you "it is fun" or "it is cool". Just look at the Skyrim madness these days. Yet Jagex tries to rid itself of its strength, trying to rely on p2p members alone. Nobody will buy pay $6 and become a member the first minute, especially given the economic situation today. The minute a new player logon and enters Lumbridge. His first impression: "****, Runescape is such a difficult game with so many skills, I don't even know how to start", and find that f2p Lumbridge is deserted, with nobody to help him. I am sure, the next minute, he will logout - forever. Not to mention that f2p quests are woefully unrelated to the main storylines.

Members will try to counter-argue that it is they who pay and therefore count. Well, not trying to argue that non members should get as much as p2p, but I think, a piece of update (quests, skill addon, minigame..., excluding graphical makeover / festival stuffs) once per 2 to 3 months will not be a lot to ask for. I think that will also provide some low level member contents that the p2p version of the game is kinda lacking.

A very well-made and well-written post. I think that you here managed to nail down pretty much all the main things on why the game's F2P playerbase is decreasing. As I stated in my previous post here in this thread I really believe Jagex must start focusing more on the F2P part of the game. With F2P already being as empty as it is, with all its consequences (for example the trouble with getting help as you mentioned in your post), it is already very though. There needs to be more focus on F2P if Jagex want the game to start growing again.

A great way to do this is to update the F2P version so that it better reflects the member's world. And by that I don't mean that F2P should get a new quest every month or that F2P should get access to what have been member's content before. No, what I mean is that F2P quests should be altered and updated so they become more like the member's quest, with fascinating storylines and some real challenges, that they got some more minigame and perhaps a couple of new skill additions. Just such a small thing as a graphical update that includes things in the F2P world would surely make a positive impact.

Before ending this post, I want to state that I believe that the game is not dying. But I think that Jagex really should focus more on the F2P version of the game, since very few players will join P2P without first having got a good impact from F2P. And that last part is sadly quite hard today.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

You can't (or in every case it's a lot harder to) bot in those other languages, members like to bot more often, so in other languages are more normal people.

Because members bot that often you can clearly see the diffrences between English servers and other languages.

You can't (or in every case it's a lot harder to) bot in those other languages, members like to bot more often, so in other languages are more normal people.

Because members bot that often you can clearly see the diffrences between English servers and other languages.

Before the bot nuke I'd have agreed, but now that bots are practically nonexistent on the English F2P servers I can't help but wonder why there were more players on the foreign language servers.

Of course, those numbers were also from over a month ago. Does anyone know if it's still that way?

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...