Hiscores poll

sees_all1

Planned website updates  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Jagex should implement their planned hiscores as described?

2. 2. Do you think free players should be included in the hiscores?

3. 3. Do you think Jagex should remove inactive players from the hiscores?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only real issue with inactive players is permanent ranks that happen at 200m xp. Other than that any inactive account will only have a higher rank than an active one if they have more experience; I see no problem with this.

Jagex wants to keep the highscores "fresh". I can think of one way for them to accomplish this while still keeping ALL un-banned accounts listed on the highscores (which is the way it should be):

Code the highscores so that when multiple players have the exact same amount of experience accounts that have been inactive for a certain amount off time, say, 6 months or 1 year+, will be moved below active players with the same xp.

Another thing they could possibly do is split the highscores into "all-time", which would feature every account besides banneds, and another that doesn't have inactive accounts at all.

In any case, fully removing every f2p account from the highscores is a stupid and lazy move.

I remember when I was a young player, probably still F2P, I trained hard to get my levels on the highscore board so that I could have a cool dynamic signature :P I used to compete with my friend for levels too. Removing highscores for F2P is unfair and stupid. I can understand the argument for removing it for inactive players - but F2P =/= inactive. I'm not going to be on the high scores anymore soon, despite all the work I've done, just because I'm not subbed anymore.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Gonna go with the classic saying: Why fix something that's not broken? Hiscores are fine as they are in my opinion.

Hiscores should list the best players of all time, not the best players at the moment. A.K.A I don't think removal of inactive players makes any sense.

Just my two cents.

My words, but a whisper - your deafness, a shout.

-

If the future's looking dark, we're the ones who have to shine. If there's no one in control, we're the ones who draw the line

-

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand.

Isn't it possible that F2p players won't be shown on the hiscores but you can still enter their name and see their stats?

Jesus Christ, can't you just admit that you're wrong? :rolleyes:

Cause I'm not wrong.

Isn't it possible that F2p players won't be shown on the hiscores but you can still enter their name and see their stats?

Lets hope so or else Jagex will have just killed all calculators and tracking websites for f2p. I suppose on a slightly positive note this could be an opportunity for dedicated f2p highscore websites being created by fans?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Lets hope so or else Jagex will have just killed all calculators and tracking websites for f2p. I suppose on a slightly positive note this could be an opportunity for dedicated f2p highscore websites being created by fans?

It is now so that if you are not ranked in the highscores your stats will still be in signatures and trackers (for example my strength level), so maybe they could just save that and those trackers would be no problem and you could even create your own highscore for f2p.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Wow this is pretty sad.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

I care, but I don't have a clear opinion. Stupid poll.

Caring and agreeing/disagreeing are two different things.

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

I refuse to vote until there's more options - an alternative to the system. If JaGex's grand exchange databases can use filters, why can't the highscores? It should be able to differentiate inactives and actives, members and free to players. It seems like the more logical step to take, or to create an additional highscores table without interfering with the current one.

1) I don't care, because it does not affect me

2) I don't care, because if I turn f2p I'm probably quitting, and then it wouldn't matter. When I was f2p I didn't care about high scores.

3) Yes, because they don't matter anymore. If they want to log in, then sure.

Is anyone surprised by the results?

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Is anyone surprised by the results?

I am, because unless you are in the top 1k or have 200m in a skill, you really shouldn't even worry about the stupid thing. It's still nice to see my number go down every day, but if I was erased from the HS, I wouldn't care. My account still exists.

The question should have read:

Are you, as a paying member, willing to continue subsidizing the cost not only of free servers but also extras like the server costs of f2p hiscore lookups and f2p forum access, as obviously the free players aren't paying for those themselves? Would you rather have membership fees increased to continue to pay for f2p, or just cut some services for f2p?

I believe this to be a more accurate summation of the actual choices Jagex was considering, cut costs or raise membership prices, based on my use of common sense.

A. Yes, I know there's no actual way to limit the poll here to only RS members, it's rhetorical.

B. I know people are going to say "but the server cost of hiscores is small." Who here knows the exact cost? No one. Is this the only cost-cutting measure Jagex implemented recently? No.

C. I'm don't really know much about databases, but I do know that 1. query times don't go up linearly with database size, but at a higher factor, depending on type of query. 2. The growing phenomenon of automatic trackers that make mass queries of Jagex system for contests and whatnot are obviously adding a ton of server load.

So, what if the real choice here is either Jagex spends a bunch of mod time totally redesigning the highscores interface to break all those trackers, or they just remove all those who aren't currently members, both saving mod time and leaving those trackers working for now? Now what do people vote for? I'm just throwing some random scenarios out there, but I think it's pretty clear that people are voting based on ignorance. This isn't RSOF, at least take some time to consider the possible real motives behind actions before condemning them.

Edited by delapaz

I voted No, Yes, No.

2) I don't care, because if I turn f2p I'm probably quitting, and then it wouldn't matter. When I was f2p I didn't care about high scores.

I disagree with your point that old players no longer matter. They were the reason Runescape had the success it has. The old legends were inspiring in their day and their efforts should not be forgotten in my opinion.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

I voted No, Yes, No.

I disagree with your point that old players no longer matter. They were the reason Runescape had the success it has. The old legends were inspiring in their day and their efforts should not be forgotten in my opinion.

If I quit, I wouldn't want to take up space on the list. You remember the old legends in your memories. Many people have quit who aren't legends, who are also taking up space.

The question should have read:

Are you, as a paying member, willing to continue subsidizing the cost not only of free servers but also extras like the server costs of f2p hiscore lookups and f2p forum access, as obviously the free players aren't paying for those themselves? Would you rather have membership fees increased to continue to pay for f2p, or just cut some services for f2p?

I believe this to be a more accurate summation of the actual choices Jagex was considering, cut costs or raise membership prices, based on my use of common sense.

A. Yes, I know there's no actual way to limit the poll here to only RS members, it's rhetorical.

B. I know people are going to say "but the server cost of hiscores is small." Who here knows the exact cost? No one. Is this the only cost-cutting measure Jagex implemented recently? No.

C. I'm don't really know much about databases, but I do know that 1. query times don't go up linearly with database size, but at a higher factor, depending on type of query. 2. The growing phenomenon of automatic trackers that make mass queries of Jagex system for contests and whatnot are obviously adding a ton of server load.

So, what if the real choice here is either Jagex spends a bunch of mod time totally redesigning the highscores interface to break all those trackers, or they just remove all those who aren't currently members, both saving mod time and leaving those trackers working for now? Now what do people vote for? I'm just throwing some random scenarios out there, but I think it's pretty clear that people are voting based on ignorance.

62564.strip.gif

♪♪ And I'm not done

Seems like they could do exactly what Major League Baseball does - there are career leaderboards, including everyone who has ever played, and active leaderboards. That allows for comparison to the all-time best, as well as figuring out who the best current players are.

@sees_all1: If that were true, then why develop the bot busting software? You're not presenting a coherent narrative.

Change "fire r&d" to "stop free game" and it might make more sense.

♪♪ And I'm not done

I voted No, Yes, No.

If I quit, I wouldn't want to take up space on the list. You remember the old legends in your memories. Many people have quit who aren't legends, who are also taking up space.

You are absolutely correct that they will live on in memory (and likely other sources as well), however the physical imprint they leave on the hiscores has always served as a reminder of their time in Runescape as well. I like that the hiscores represent all the players throughout the history of the game. Ideally I wish that it was possible to simply remove all the bots from the hiscores which would solve the problem according to Mod Emilee's FAQ (QFC: 16-17-732-63382107). That being said, I am sure that if this solution was technically possible they would have taken that route. Sadly what we are left with is a solution that solves the problem, but at the expense of players.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

I don't really care. The only people the F2P highscore thing really affects is the top F2P players. And then again, they could easily just get members but then only login into free worlds. Atleast that way they support the game. I don't like people who are eternally F2P and do stuff like block ads and never give a cent to help the game, but then get all righteous and start [bleep]ing that Jagex is greedy or evil.

2480+ total

I don't like people who are eternally F2P

Don't worry, we still love you. :P

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif