Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vanity Items - RS Prepaid cards and Ornate Katana

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

Soupy17
[ Display Name History ]

Soupy17

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:oh mikey oh
inb4 3hitu with something about how jagex told him about this 16 years ago
LOL

FIREWORKS
[ Display Name History ]

FIREWORKS

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:lox
This is simply wrong. We've been constantly telling them that crap like this is wrong, but seems like they don't give a [bleep].

DarkDude
[ Display Name History ]

DarkDude

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,232 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Dark Dude
I think it's a terrible idea to be honest. The Loyalty rewards *could* potentially be good but I doubt it, at least there's the potential for that. These Vanity Items for buying game cards? Yeah, that's just secluding people for no reason. Even Micro-transactions would be better than this.

SirHartlar
[ Display Name History ]

SirHartlar

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,692 posts
The thing is, I can sort of understand Jagex taking the decision to implement a loyalty program to give people incentives to keep paying for membership, but this move kind of says to people "pay by prepaid card or you might miss out on content." With holiday items for instance EVERY player has the opportunity to get the items within a reasonable time scale, but some players might not even have access to these prepaid cards which immediately puts them at a disadvantage. I also don't see why I, a member for over four years that has paid by debit card for the majority of this period, should not be able to access these items unless I switch to a more expensive and inconvenient payment type.

FIREWORKS
[ Display Name History ]

FIREWORKS

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 199 posts
I could live with the loyalty program. But this sounds like an introduction to jagex starting to sell ingame items. Are they really that desperate ?

SirHartlar
[ Display Name History ]

SirHartlar

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,692 posts

I could live with the loyalty program. But this sounds like an introduction to jagex starting to sell ingame items. Are they really that desperate ?

Given their approach to bots and a lot of other aspects of the game since they reintroduced free trade, I'd have to say yes they are.

Utopia
[ Display Name History ]

Utopia

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • RSN:Utopia
What's RuneScape come to?

It feels like they are trying to suck as much money out of the game any way they can...

Posted Image

FIREWORKS
[ Display Name History ]

FIREWORKS

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 199 posts

Given their approach to bots and a lot of other aspects of the game since they reintroduced free trade, I'd have to say yes they are.

It really bums me out seeing the game i have loved and played for years going down the drain the worst way possible.

Sly_Wizard
[ Display Name History ]

Sly_Wizard

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
People will complain about anything. If they're just for looks, who cares?

Robert_R
[ Display Name History ]

Robert_R

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,026 posts
  • RSN '07:Robertr1
I thought jagex was against real world trading.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

You know, I might not like how they're doing this...but it's really not like that at all. You're not paying cash to exclusively get an item. You're still getting a service with a 'thank you' present on the side.

Some of the issue is that this vanity item is unbalanced for the requirements to wield it--it's between a black and a mithril scim with only requiring 1 att/str. And this isn't available to all players. Yes they won't be reoccurring things and they're only special promotions, but it's still not fair to others.

People will complain about anything. If they're just for looks, who cares?

It's not just for looks like other holiday items are, because its stats are unbalanced.

hzvjpwS.gif

Pinata
[ Display Name History ]

Pinata

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 717 posts
  • RSN:Pinata
meh I gave up after the first runefest. If jagex wants to advertise they should do commercials or something.

Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy

I thought jagex was against real world trading.

That was before they brought back free trade. I have no idea what they're views are anymore, but I liked the old ones more.

Carl
[ Display Name History ]

Carl

I <3 N_odie!

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • RSN:Carl
  • RSN2:Newb
This is the loyalty reward? Or am I missing something?

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Sly_Wizard
[ Display Name History ]

Sly_Wizard

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

It's not just for looks like other holiday items are, because its stats are unbalanced.

lol... It's basically a black sword that requires 1 attack to use. Yes, that's worth "mass outrage".

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts

lol... It's basically a black sword that requires 1 attack to use. Yes, that's worth "mass outrage".

Irrelevant to you does not mean irrelevant to everyone. And I suspect the 'mass outrage' is more due to the fact that Jagex has a tendency to take things too far. This one could be a promotional item for noobs. Next could be a platebody that rivals a Rune Plate and is also risk-free. They went from flagstaffs with no significant stats to this, so it's very possible and we have every right to be concerned.

I understand that this might rob you of your chance to be cynical, but maybe you better understand why people are upset about it now. :)

hzvjpwS.gif

TTanT
[ Display Name History ]

TTanT

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,041 posts

Its stats are on-par with lesser steel weapons, and far outclass iron weapons.

Alone it isn't terribly unbalancing, since the tiny extra bonus doesn't affect most players.
But what if future items are similarly balanced (aka, a full tier above their requirements in stats)?

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

Tifers say the darndest things

Sly_Wizard
[ Display Name History ]

Sly_Wizard

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Irrelevant to you does not mean irrelevant to everyone. And I suspect the 'mass outrage' is more due to the fact that Jagex has a tendency to take things too far. This one could be a promotional item for noobs. Next could be a platebody that rivals a Rune Plate and is also risk-free. They went from flagstaffs with no significant stats to this, so it's very possible and we have every right to be concerned.

So you're arguing against something which has yet to happen?

I understand that this might rob you of your chance to be cynical, but maybe you better understand why people are upset about it now. :)

I do believe you're the one being cynical here.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts

So you're arguing against something which has yet to happen?

No, people are arguing about the trend that already is happening.

hzvjpwS.gif

Helm_Lardar
[ Display Name History ]

Helm_Lardar

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • RSN:Helm Lardar
I might buy such an item at a higher level with my debit card. But going to a store and buying a runescape card?

Ehhhh no, that feels really awkward. Like I imagine buying condoms could be.

I'm not an efficienado.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users