Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vanity Items - RS Prepaid cards and Ornate Katana

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

Ehhhh no, that feels really awkward. Like I imagine buying condoms could be.

That's why God invented Self Checkout Lanes.

hzvjpwS.gif

Sly_Wizard
[ Display Name History ]

Sly_Wizard

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

No, people are arguing about the trend that already is happening.

Since this is the first time Jagex has done as much, so it's hard to call this a 'trend'.

FIREWORKS
[ Display Name History ]

FIREWORKS

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:lox

Since this is the first time Jagex has done as much, so it's hard to call this a 'trend'.

Loyalty program... Now this...

Master_Smither
[ Display Name History ]

Master_Smither

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,267 posts
  • RSN:Runescapew44

Not to mention the extra bank spaces for buying the USB protection stick idea. This goes further than decided to not give perm bans for macroing in order to hold on to members.

I believe the cards are around 8 USD, 60% higher than my membership with a CC. I'd be paying $3 for a vanity item.
Click for My Blog

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts

Not even just the loyalty program, but the now-ditched USB stick idea, the flagstaff idea, the item that will eventually be released for RuneFest 2011...

I wouldn't say there was a trend if this hasn't happened before. I'm not as stupid as you might think :P

hzvjpwS.gif

highlanders
[ Display Name History ]

highlanders

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,476 posts
They've probably been thinking about adding micro-transactions to the game for quite some time. They know some of the user base won't like it, so they're taking baby steps. That's what it looks like anyway.

2480+ total

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
I honestly and truly think they will NEVER do microtransactions--they've promised that too many times to welch on it now. I do think though that this trend will continue where memberships and things like that are padded with bonus things to keep people buying. Thus they don't break their word but still get people to pay.

They were smart in making these objects members-only. So it's not exactly like you're paying 6.00 for an item and go back to F2P with it, never having to buy members again. If they hadn't, then I think the argument that RS is turning to MTs could truly be made.

hzvjpwS.gif

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts
  • RSN:Mercifull
  • Clan:Tip.It
Doesn't make sense why they would do this for prepaid cards which surely make jagex the least amount of money after making the cards and distributing them around the world. What of us who are true loyal members who only pay 3.20 a month?

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)
So if I had waited to redeem my game card till today rather than yesterday, I would've gotten a pretty katana? Oh, that's cute, Jagex.

But seriously, Jagex cracks me up. It's a good thing I only care about Dungeoneering or I'd be pretty disgusted with this game.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Alphanos
[ Display Name History ]

Alphanos

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 330 posts
I suspect this is mainly a ploy to make people better aware of these cards' existence. It's surprising the number of people I've heard talking about how their lack of a credit card makes it either difficult or impossible for them to get members.
Alphanos
Posted Image

3PointMan
[ Display Name History ]

3PointMan

Mr. Parkour

• Members
  • 1,729 posts
  • RSN:Paranoia

Sweet jesus it was awk buying condoms the first time :3 not that bad the second time though, Just an irrational fear I guess.

FEARLESStag.jpg
stuff.png

what i'm doing now:

soundcloud.com/student1

Mike_Ike111
[ Display Name History ]

Mike_Ike111

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,492 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Old Granny

Sweet jesus it was awk buying condoms the first time :3 not that bad the second time though, Just an irrational fear I guess.

Oh god! People will know I'm getting laid!
Posted Image

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab
Imo, it shouldn't have any stats whatsoever. Then it's a vanity item. We have an item that's a tier or two up from other items with a similar requirement that you can only get by buying pre-paid Jagex cards. The fact that it's a lvl 1 weapon is irrelevant to me.

What really gets me is it only works for the pre-paid cards. Really? Why?

The only post that kinda made sense was the one about Jagex trying to attract attention to the cards. Wait, where does it mention this in the newposts? (And by mention this in the newspost, I mean the cards or loyalty reward program or something. You know, something to attract attention to the cards or vanity items.)

I wonder if they're irrationally trying to introduce controversial new content by hiding it, which kinda defeats the point of it coming out if no one even knows about it.

I also love how they're making a bigger deal out of RuneFest then this new update. The RuneFest one is the top featured update thing, the piece of new content? Nope.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
Yes by all means focus on the condom issue when I was talking about the game cards...>_>

hzvjpwS.gif

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,471 posts
lol at anyone who switches their payment methods for cheap [cabbage] Jagex will throw in the game for them.

Tbh this is almost as bad as a cash shop in a game, maybe even worse cause at least a cash shop doesn't hide what it really is.

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers
Now that I think more on it, I think the real issue here isn't just that they've offered an item to people who pay more for a month of members but that they've offered that item to a limited group of their customers.

RuneScape has always had items that were available to everyone (with the obvious exceptions of the holiday items, but even they were available to everyone who had an account at the time), and now they're offering these, arguably, cosmetic items only to those who: a) live in a country that sells game cards, and b) actually live near a store that sells them.

I think they're going to upset a lot more people than they expect with this.

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Cheefoo
[ Display Name History ]

Cheefoo

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,811 posts
  • RSN:Cheefoo
  • Clan:HYT
Oh, some limited time decorative item I might not be able to get? I don't give two [bleep]s.
Posted Image
I LOVE MY STATION

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101
00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Helm_Lardar
[ Display Name History ]

Helm_Lardar

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • RSN:Helm Lardar
Look, I don't know about you but I want a Katana! I'd be willing to pay an extra pound fifty for one month. What I'm not willing to do is go to a shop and have an awkward conversation with the guy on the checkout after failing to find RS cards for 30 minutes, asking if they sell them.

Grrrrr...

I'm not an efficienado.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts

Look, I don't know about you but I want a Katana! I'd be willing to pay an extra pound fifty for one month. What I'm not willing to do is go to a shop and have an awkward conversation with the guy on the checkout after failing to find RS cards for 30 minutes, asking if they sell them.

Grrrrr...

Call the store in advance maybe? It's not like they're obsessively looking at the caller ID to write down any goon's number who asks strange questions to report them to the OMGIDONTUNDERSTAND police.

hzvjpwS.gif

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

Grrrrr...

Call the store in advance maybe? It's not like they're obsessively looking at the caller ID to write down any goon's number who asks strange questions to report them to the OMGIDONTUNDERSTAND police.

I don't think the problem is being embarrassed to buy the card, but rather that, in my experience anyway, the clerks in most retail stores (at least here in Canada, not sure about anywhere else) can barely operate their registers let alone know if they sell a particular card out of the 3 dozen or so on the rack. If they don't even have a rack to put them on, then Saradomin help you while they scrounge though a box under the counter.

If you do feel embarrassed to buy a RS card, don't. Never be ashamed of who you are. :)
(oh Gary Oldman, you have so much to teach us <3: )

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users