Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
Articultural

Vanity Items - RS Prepaid cards and Ornate Katana

Except for 14m will always be available as long as RS exists, the Katana will most likely become discontinued, making it a rare item. Also I've heard of people like to collect discontinued items and even buy runefest tickets w/o attending the actual event.

Yeah theres plenty of those people out there. Lucky for me I quit throughout all of 08 cause of restricted trade and didnt get any of the holiday items so I stopped caring about a perfect account with every one.

But if you personally are one of those people the 8 bucks is more then worth it (hell I wouldve spent it) if not then its just bad marketing by jagex. Or maybe not a little controversy does help, and no one actually quits over updates no matter how bad

Bought a gamestop card today and redeemed it. Logged on to find this:

katpd.png

However, my bank wasnt full. Katana isn't in my bank. Tried searching for it. Diango doesn't have it in the interface with the other holiday items.

Toy box in my house doesnt have a katana option either. Feel like Jagex scammed me. :(

I just saw this on the Runescape homepage, not sure how long it was there...

katanauk.png

The US offer is still valid until the 10th of July though.

howlin1eeveesig.png

katanauk.png

That's been there for two or three weeks.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Except for 14m will always be available as long as RS exists, the Katana will most likely become discontinued, making it a rare item. Also I've heard of people like to collect discontinued items and even buy runefest tickets w/o attending the actual event.

From the FAQ I read, it sounds like this same item is going to be available with other promotions in the future, possibly related to other payment methods. So I wouldn't bet $8 on its rarity right now.

katanauk.png

Thought it was US only and the UK thing is new?

What does 'exclusive item' mean to Jagex? :---)

katanauk.png

That was the US offer not the UK one (I think).

howlin1eeveesig.png

What does 'exclusive item' mean to Jagex? :---)

Apparently it means "offer the item to a different country every month".

I wonder when it will get offered in Canada. :-k

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I got my issue resolved. so have my katana now. :P

I won't be bothering with any of these things until Jagex's vanity item is a chestpiece that gives females big, fake boobs. :thumbsup:

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

Grats on the Katana! May I ask which payment option you used before that game card?

As long as these "vanity items" don't have OP stats I don't care.

Likewise.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

I just picture it like one of those websites that deals in the sale of knives, swords, etc. You have display items which, frankly would work like the real deal except for the fact it's made of inferior materials and craftmanship. The fact that the katana is designated 'ornate' adds to the sense that it's of the display quality, as ornate weapons in the past were mainly donned to indicate position, power, social status, or financial status, and had no real combative value. You do, on the other had though, have combat-ready weapons which are made contemporarily for the sake of practicing in the art of the sword, but were used in the past in actual combat, which the ornate katana does not fall under this category... So in reality a vanity item based on this example would never provide any sort of advantage, and should be treated as such. Just a thought.

chayyliel.png

Grats on the Katana! May I ask which payment option you used before that game card?

Thanks. |^_^|

Credit card. I saved money buying the gamecard which is ironic. :P

Costs me 10 norwegian kroner (about 2 us dollars) more per month to pay with credit card in norway then buying a 90 day card in the us.

Only bought 90 days though. I like auto-filling membership.

Bumping this as the latest vanity item - Turkey Hat - can now be obtained through 90-day Target cards (US only) and 90-day GAME cards (UK only).

Why they once again limit it to some countries is beyond me. They would sell more gamecards if they didn't have a region-lock on them. Poor advertisement decision in my opinion.

unled175.png

It's just vanity items, but it's starting to get rather annoying now that they're releasing them for every holiday event now. Considering the amount of holidays there are throughout the year, you would be buying more membership than what you would need for the whole year.

Should just limit it for 30 cards instead of just 90 day cards while allowing the option for other countries.

j0xPu5R.png

I'd love a turkey hat but I don't see myself getting another 90 day card for it. Was only last month that I got the green skin. At the rate Jagex are releasing these vanity items via mem cards people will be accumulating more members than they will ever use... perhaps that's the point?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I'd love a turkey hat but I don't see myself getting another 90 day card for it. Was only last month that I got the green skin. At the rate Jagex are releasing these vanity items via mem cards people will be accumulating more members than they will ever use... perhaps that's the point?

Yeah I was thinking this too. At the rate they're releasing these items can we expect to see a Christmas themed item too? That would add even more days on. :lol:

So once again poor old Canada gets forgotten. :(

Maybe we'll get a special poutine hat for Sainte-Jean-Baptiste Day. :lol:

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I somehow get the feeling that they'll never cycle back to the older items.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

[hide=RuneScape News Post]Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and UK and US account holders can mark the occasion with a hearty helping of RuneScape membership and an exclusive, non-tradable turkey hat item to adorn your head in-game and on the forums.

To take advantage of this offer, simply purchase a 90 day RuneScape Membership Card from Target (in the United States) or GAME (in the UK) and redeem it between the 18th of November 2011 and the 8th of December 2011. Next time you log in, the hat will be deposited into your bank, or sent to Diango if you don’t have space.

Not only will the card get you an exclusive item, but at $22.50 or £12.99 they’re a convenient and affordable way to stock up on membership over the winter and enjoy the great content we’ll be bringing to you as the nights draw in.

The RuneScape Team[/hide]

[hide=My questions to you... the reader]As far as I'm aware, there's no other way to obtain this "hat", therefore it's basically JAGeX selling an in-game item for real-life cash, do you think more of these types of items will happen in the future?

Being a credit/debit card customer my membership automatically renews but I'm not entitled to this product even though I pay for the Members version, do you think this is fair? Not to mention it's only available for the US and UK markets.[/hide]

Hate to backseat mod, but really should use the topic already up (I think it was already bumped when the newpost was put up)

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Maybe I'm completely missing the point here, but who in their right mind would pay to wear a turkey on their head?

The same people who paid to turn their skin green. Cosmetic items are subjective and there will always be people who do and don't like them.

Also, I just had a horribly pessimistic thought - what if this is Jagex's way of slowly phasing out the holiday items/events and making them for members only? :unsure: