Why is everyone so hot on Bandos chestplate?

jetset516a

Compared to Guthans, it's vastly inferior, save for a small strength (+4) difference, and an even smaller (+1) prayer.

What Am I missing? It looks cooler I'll give you that...but cool doesn't help fight monsters.

To its purchasers, the +4 strength bonus isn't insignificant solely because of the increase in DPS. They want to kill monsters faster and don't really worry about damage taken because they have food.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

That strength bonus is exactly why people are using it. When you try to kill things as fast as possible, then every strength bonus you can get helps. A guthan's platebody doesn't give anything else than a defence boost, which isn't really that useful most of the time.

Moved to Help&Advice :).

I wanted to say you would understand when you got soul split, but you seem to have that :unsure:.

Basically, +4 strength bonus, in the worst-case scenario (ignoring minigame items) equals a max hit increase of about 1.5% (4/263th) and more realistically (rapier instead of cmaul, fury instead of strength etc.) about 2.8% (4/145th). That's all before ferocious ring and soak and whatnot which muddles it a bit, but generally you can assume about 2% faster kills using bcp over Guthan's platebody.

With soul split you do not ever need healing fighting anything not a boss, even for mithril dragons, kbd, and glacors you don't (but you shouldn't be meleeing glacors of course). The small defence bonus increase from Guthan's simply has no value when you can outheal all the damage you take ten to one, not to mention the additional healing from having that higher damage output.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Fair enough. I guess if I got one as a drop it'd be worth it. The price though isn't worth it. I'm basically bored with my Guthans and am looking for a better armor (that doesn't totally disintegrate after a while or require dung to buy).

Thanks for the replies!

Well you can look at it like this:

You can have a 50m cash pile and Guthan's and kill things wearing that, or...

You can have a 10m cash pile and Bandos and kill things 3% faster wearing that.

Basically, you have 51m total value either way, but the gp isn't going to hit monsters for you :).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

That being said though, It's worth investing in a fury amulet and berserker ring (imbued would be best ofc) before spending money on Bandos.

Equpiment will always become more expensive compared to their stat boost when approaching the higher tiers, since that's the armour people want. But if you can afford it, there's no reason to not do it, since you can, as Quyneax said, always sell it later for ca. the same price.

I'm wondering the exact same thing. For scenarios where defence is trivial, fighter torso will free up that ~17m to let you spend on something else (like buyable skills, or tassets). For scenarios where defence isn't trivial, torva plate is the better alternative. For scenarios where you don't want to risk torva plate (eg pking), why not just wear vesta's and get a little attack bonus while you risk? :P

Follow my road to 5.6/Gold Reaper/True Trim - DAT BLOG

I also like that it doesn't degrade.

Yup.

I'm honestly piss-broke atm so I use Verac skirt w/Fighter Torso. 99 Defence is a good compensator but I can only afford 1 Bandos piece w/10m cash remaining, and I dont like blowing my cash on 1 item.

Popoto.~<3

I'm wondering the exact same thing. For scenarios where defence is trivial, fighter torso will free up that ~17m to let you spend on something else (like buyable skills, or tassets). For scenarios where defence isn't trivial, torva plate is the better alternative. For scenarios where you don't want to risk torva plate (eg pking), why not just wear vesta's and get a little attack bonus while you risk? :P

Fighter torso takes a while to get (and it also requires playing defender which is just an awful experience imo <_< ). I don't recall the time it takes to get 375 pnts in each role, but you could argue that in that time you could be making money towards the superior BCP.

Torva also isn't really a realistic option for a lot of players for situations where you need some more defence since it's extremely expensive, although you could probably argue that barrows would be ideal here.

If you're at all good at PKing, vesta will cost you more in the long run.

Torva is prohibitively expensive to initially obtain, and it has an additional upkeep cost. And fighter torso just isn't worth getting at all, unless you're some kind of zerker pure.

Fair enough. I guess if I got one as a drop it'd be worth it. The price though isn't worth it. I'm basically bored with my Guthans and am looking for a better armor (that doesn't totally disintegrate after a while or require dung to buy).

Thanks for the replies!

Getting something as a drop and keeping it is exactly the same as just making the money to buy something and buying it.

That being said though, It's worth investing in a fury amulet and berserker ring (imbued would be best ofc) before spending money on Bandos.

Equpiment will always become more expensive compared to their stat boost when approaching the higher tiers, since that's the armour people want. But if you can afford it, there's no reason to not do it, since you can, as Quyneax said, always sell it later for ca. the same price.

This is the only comment I wanted to make. :)

I looked it up for a friend and D Plate/Legs + Fury/Berserker is the same Str bonus and MUCH higher Def (other than Ranged) than Bandos Chestplate/Tassets + Glory/[NotBerserker] and around 15m less.

Not that Dragon is really being represented here, which is understandable, but it is the only other considerable armor that doesn't degrade. I just typically facepalm when I see Bandos being used with a Glory lol.

2dgucz6.png

Fighter torso takes a while to get (and it also requires playing defender which is just an awful experience imo <_< ). I don't recall the time it takes to get 375 pnts in each role, but you could argue that in that time you could be making money towards the superior BCP.

Torva also isn't really a realistic option for a lot of players for situations where you need some more defence since it's extremely expensive, although you could probably argue that barrows would be ideal here.

If you're at all good at PKing, vesta will cost you more in the long run.

About 5 hrs, and that's with beginners on world 6 that have no idea how to BA. Whether or not bcp is a better option now depends on how much you value your time.

Torva is only really useful for high end PvM. If you need defence in any slayer task, you either have very low defence, no access to soul split/uni, or you afk so extensively that Runescape actually logs your character out. If you're just doing random bosses for the lulz, I'd argue that barrows is better for the defence if you can't afford torva.

If you're at all good at pking, one full usage of a vesta set easily pays itself back. Yeah your profits aren't as high as if you had bandos, but the accuracy bonus is definitely worth it if you often do high risk fights. I'm too lazy to do the exact calculation for determining average $/kill that determines the turnover point between vesta and bcp, but I'd assume it isn't all that unreasonable if you're commonly in hybrid fights risking ahrim's/fury/claws/bandos etc.

Follow my road to 5.6/Gold Reaper/True Trim - DAT BLOG

About 5 hrs, and that's with beginners on world 6 that have no idea how to BA. Whether or not bcp is a better option now depends on how much you value your time.

The only loss from a BCP is loss on sale due to price shifts. A torso is a complete sunk cost and is useless for bossing.

The whole point of the higher strength bonus is so that you gain xp faster. Giving up 5 hrs of training for it defeats the purpose. It would take hundreds of hours of combat before the +4 str makes up for that initial lost time. Better to use a proselyte top + offensive prayer.

It wouldn't be so bad except that it doesn't even develop your character--there's nothing useful or unique about the fighter torso. It's not like MA, where the imbued rings are at least the best items for their slot. The torso's just a watered-down substitute for the Bandos Chestplate, which you can already buy without having to muck around in BA. And with Bandos, you can sell it back if you change your mind--if you ever want to upgrade a fighter torso, you can't get those 5 hrs back.

Yeah. If you're going to look at it from an efficient point of view, where you want as much xp as possible, then it's a total waste to get a torso. It might take a little longer to earn the money for a BCP, but since you can sell it again later for training skills or whatever you want to do with the money, it's worth the extra time.

That being said, if you actually love doing BA so much that your horn is always full, or you play for BA ranks, then go ahead and buy the torso.

Guest jrhairychest

Be interesting when they reset all the armour stats. According to the insider session at RF, armour won't have any offensive stats. Defence only. Offensive will come from the weapons you wield.

Be interesting when they reset all the armour stats. According to the insider session at RF, armour won't have any offensive stats. Defence only. Offensive will come from the weapons you wield.

I got the impression they were mostly referring to range and mage, where the armour is the primary source of offensive bonuses.