Video game-related health problems

Dire_Wolf

This is not a obvious thread saying "Video games can damage your health!".

This is a thread to discuss common health problems that may occour when playing Runescape and what actions you take to not get health problems.

In Runescape clicking is major way to interact in the game. This can cause strain on wrists.

So what actions have you taken to not strain your wrists for example?

One time I was playing at like 2 am and I dropped my glass and it broke and one of the pieces bounced off my desk and cut open my wrist. The scar is still there months later. So ya, RS related wrist injury.

Somehow managed to avoid injuries from computer usage, though if I played as much as I wanted to I would probably have RSI or something by now. RSA (Runescape addiction) is something I suffer from though. :lol:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

My mice have more issues than my wrist tbh. Always bloody wearing out - Its like a 40-60 quid mouse each time but they eventually get worn out.

Wish doctor had a solution for that as its rather expensive hobby to get those 'ticks' and such. Have to pretty much replace it as soon as it begins 'double clicking' due to being worn out as it messes up my gameplay xp/hr.

Never had any wrist problem. From my first game I been gaming for like 22 years now - 40-80% of that is with a mouse.

Im not sure of solution.. More expensive mouse maybe. >.< Thats reason I spend so much.. Those cheap ones wear out even quicker.

My mice have more issues than my wrist tbh. Always bloody wearing out - Its like a 40-60 quid mouse each time but they eventually get worn out.

Wish doctor had a solution for that as its rather expensive hobby to get those 'ticks' and such. Have to pretty much replace it as soon as it begins 'double clicking' due to being worn out as it messes up my gameplay xp/hr.

Never had any wrist problem. From my first game I been gaming for like 22 years now - 40-80% of that is with a mouse.

Im not sure of solution.. More expensive mouse maybe. >.< Thats reason I spend so much.. Those cheap ones wear out even quicker.

Mouse keys. Not the best solution, but it mitigates the problem.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Firstly, the update which allowed scrolling the camera with the scroll wheel on mouse was awesome. That helped a ton but Mousekeys, AHK, (alt+tab is one of the best combinations to remap) and Screenmarker sure make a big difference.

Now all I need is a mouse that costs more than $5 and has more than 3 buttons on it :mellow:

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

Chronic Rage.

Solution - Quit.

This... ^ ...I have felt too many times. <_<

~D. V. "I'm on the brink of actually following the solution, too." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Wireless Logitech trackball mouse. :thumbup: I can place it anywhere that's comfortable so it doesn't hurt my wrist at all. My thumb on the other hand... :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Wireless Logitech trackball mouse. :thumbup: I can place it anywhere that's comfortable so it doesn't hurt my wrist at all. My thumb on the other hand... :lol:

Yeah I use one of those too. Haven't played RS for a few months but It never really gave me any problems when I played for hours on end. I could see it causing problems if It got to the point that I was shitting in a cup to prevent walking to the restroom though.

Low_C.png

There are other things on the internet that do more damage to my wrists than runescape, if you catch my drift. I do get raging headaches if I'm at a monitor too long and then look away.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Chronic Rage.

Solution - Quit.

This... ^ ...I have felt too many times. <_<

~D. V. "I'm on the brink of actually following the solution, too." Devnull

And I've now followed the solution... I'm thoroughly sick of the rage/pain/etc. that RuneScape and Jagex have caused me. :ugeek:

Hopefully, I'll feel better soon, before I rant too much? :huh:

~Mr. D. V. "Likely overusing the UberGeek emote for unrelated things, just due to the face look..." Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I was killing Chaos druids and someone was stealing my kills so in an effort to get the kill before him I quickly swiped my mouse to click on the druid but there was a knife on my desk and I cut my wrist, bled out and died.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

I was killing Chaos druids and someone was stealing my kills so in an effort to get the kill before him I quickly swiped my mouse to click on the druid but there was a knife on my desk and I cut my wrist, bled out and died.

This happens to me everyday.

I haven't really received many video game-related health problems at all except maybe my vision. :(

j0xPu5R.png

I died died at Wilderness with my Full Iron (couldn't afford Bronze armour that time) and raged so much that I punched the screen and got an Electrical Shock, then I (of course) was sent to the hospital.

That's why you don't punch your own computer when you're mad. Your character dying wasn't its' fault anyway, really! #-o

~D. V. "I'll just facepalm now..." Devnull

I died died at Wilderness with my Full Iron (couldn't afford Bronze armour that time) and raged so much that I punched the screen and got an Electrical Shock, then I (of course) was sent to the hospital.

Look at the bright side, now you can get a nice LCD monitor. Much lower voltage. :thumbup:

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

One time I was playing at like 2 am and I dropped my glass and it broke and one of the pieces bounced off my desk and cut open my wrist. The scar is still there months later. So ya, RS related wrist injury.

In case you didn't believe me:

2uqobpw.jpg

Dag. Glad you were okay. :)

There's a few studies currently ongoing into the impact of online games and Internet usage in general on addictions. Given an addiction is a mental health problem in its own right, it could be interesting to see the conclusions of those studies. Of course, that applies to online FPS games and Facebook as well as RuneScape, but if a 'substance' is found to be particularly risky, we all know what usually happens to it. Look at the scene surrounding so-called "legal highs" right now for an example.

I wonder if in twenty years time, we'll start to treat social networking and video gaming as seriously as we do cocaine and heroin.

I wonder if in twenty years time, we'll start to treat social networking and video gaming as seriously as we do cocaine and heroin.

I don't see why not. With some people they can be almost as addictive with similar repercussions to health and family.

I don't see why not. With some people they can be almost as addictive with similar repercussions to health and family.

Heh... and look at South Korea. People get jobs over there because of their StarCraft addictions. :o

~D. V. "File me as 'totally shocked'..." Devnull