Runescape Discussion: Why do you play?

Kilo

Like most runescape players, I started while I was younger and once I got to college I was forced to make a decision. Would Runescape follow me into college?

I decided I would quit Runescape once I got to college because the only reason I played in the first place was because I was bored and somewhat of a loner. I know a lot of people only play for these reasons I mentioned, and once they were given the opportunity to hang out with others they gave up Runescape. My question is to those people who continue to play once they get to college, in whatever degree. A lot, little, whatever.

Why do you continue to play? Are there aspects of the game that compel you to continue to keep playing and for what reasons? I'm genuinely interested in your answers and I do not intend to criticize you in any way.

Are there aspects of the game that compel you to continue to keep playing and for what reasons?

BTW: I'm going to edit this post with some of the responses I get and attempt to ask some people follow-up questions, if you do not want me to do so, say so in the first line of your reply.

First EDIT: I would like to mention that I continue to play other games, but I find runescape boring and repetitive.

One of the reasons I'm hearing or reading about a lot is the relaxing aspect of the game. I have a few questions about your motivation though and how you play it. Do you play for a set amount of time? Do you sacrifice other opportunities in order to play Runescape? Do you play other games as well? Do you think that the game itself keeps you playing by the nature of how it works? Meaning does the game make you keep playing "to get a 99, or impress other people?"

My second set of questions go out to those who don't have a good answer or don't know why they play. Do you think you'll stop playing once you get to college? Do you play for the social aspect of the game?

To those who play for the friends who they've made over the years. Can you justify playing a game with people you've met online because they're your friends? Couldn't you just as easily use Facebook or some other type of communication source to stay in contact? Do you think the game provides you a medium in which to stay connected with your friends, and isn't the argument that by playing the game you stay connected to your friends counterproductive to making friends in real life?

Low_C is particular. What aspects of the game outside of the interactions between players do you find enjoyable?

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play because I still find it to be relaxing and fun. The clan I'm in and these forums/xp-waste keep me interested in the game. I'm not sure what it is in the gameplay that keeps me playing.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

When I play it's because I've gotten bored of other hobbies. At the moment I'm enjoying games such as Skyrim, MW3 and BF3 so I've been on a break lasting the past few months. The nice thing about RS is I can just drop in and start playing anytime for a cheap 5 bucks per month. I haven't let my membership lapse in the past 6 years because of this aspect.

Low_C.png

I began playing Runescape because I grew up on the shore of Lake Manitoba, on a rural farm which was only capable of receiving a dial up internet connection. I always enjoyed history and games that brought together community, so the option to play a medieval game cast in a MMORPG setting wasn't something I could pass up (especially since it ran like a dream for me on dial-up). I can definitely say I enjoyed the years I played Runescape. There were periods when I would quit for months at a time due to boredom within the game, or idiotic updates, However, I continued to come back time after time, not so much for the game, but for the friends I had made.

It wasn't until 2009/2010 that I truly no longer had any interest in Runescape whatsoever. More than anything it was the manner in which Jagex created updates (some of which there was no reason to update), and their increasing attitude to quiet those who had an opinion on Jagex's direction with their game. Updates of late that I have seen and have continued to beat the dead horse, that is my interest in the game. Examples of recent updates that I found especially annoying are the loyalty program, and the increasing amount of limited edition items they are trying to convince players to obtain (buy a 90 day membership card for an item). Seeing that Jagex is now looking to butcher the F2P highscores and make F2P less appealing, I can only tell myself I made the right decision.

I have been logging on since I've bought Elder Scrolls: Skyrim for the first time in a very long time, just so I can chat with some friends who have also purchased the game. I can most definitely say that all of Jagex's updates have not been bad, and they have made some positive steps for the community, however there have been so many steps backwards by them, that I do not feel I can go forward with Runescape.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Addicted.

Cheap.

My mates work days and nights, I work afternoons, rarely do our times match up to party, but when they do, it's on.

Runescape is a cheap and easy alternative to boredom.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Mostly I play rs when I want to watch something because it helps me stay me stay engaged. I find doing a very low apm task makes some types of lectures more tolerable.

Besides that I merch (I plan to sell gold soon), and sometimes enjoy new updates (like I will the new slayer dungeon that is coming up :). )

tip.it/xp waste are keeping me interested too, though i would sort of rather break this habit i developed of checking both forums. rs is ultimately not fulfilling to me but it is very enticing, which is why I haven't managed to let go of it yet.

I started playing because my younger brother was playing it and it looked interesting. I stayed when I made goals or close friends. I was always F2P. I was only allowed an hour on the computer per day, which I would spend on runescape. I went through certain phases with certain friends where I'd just be looking forward to talking to them. I'd take my hour around their schedules. I was a silly 13-15 year old girl during those times, didn't have much of a social life, and loved achieving goals and chatting with anyone online. Once I joined here, I became interested in the game itself more, but I'd say what kept me going most was the people. In the end, I think I was more playing it out of routine - I was used to getting home and racing down to the computer to log on and see what I could do, who I could talk to.

I guess I probably would have answered differently while I was playing perhaps. I don't honestly remember why I got hooked, if I made close friends that fast or what. I formed a lot of opinions about the internet and e-relationships during those years, had many interesting conversations, and wasted away hours of time just being happy I guess. Now, I only log on if there's a holiday event (which I've been missing anyway) or if I'm really bored and just want to look around. I miss how I used to feel playing it sometimes, but I've grown out of that phase.

/FG/First thread post to when I joined the family.

VR48f.jpg

[hide=Insert rant here]blahblahblahLIFE[/hide]

img

you mean dgscape?

i play for dg. and i farm. but ill probably quit soon just from being sick of the time ive sunk into it.

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

Mostly for the sense of accomplishment (not sure if spelt right), but I do take breaks every year ranging from a couple weeks to half a year. I wish to max out my account, and until that happens I'm not done with this game. I do play less now then I did when I was younger.

Green_partyhat.png

Even though I am in college (though college here is different to how it is in America), I still play RS one hell of a lot. I still enjoy all the aspects of the game, even if there's some weird as hell updates. I want to become a completionist on RS, so however long it takes me I will do it!

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

I enjoy the game itself. If it wasnt this I would be playing something else anyway. Pretty much as simple as that tbf.

Quick overview: Doing a maths degree, worked at various points. Had multitude of gfs/serious relationships.. (Been playing a very long time... Im an adult now.) currently 2+ months into new serious person and going alrite. Is ok with my hobby etc as gf's have to understand my hobby if they want to be with me. Preferable if they take some interest too. My new gf example has asked me a few times if jagex have updated the hs yet as she knows it annoys me and agrees they are idiots lol - Im glad as its attractive. Something thats explained quite early on that they are more important and my main focus however this game does take up alot of my free time otherwise. I managed to get some of my past gfs and friends to play a little too of which weirdly enough discovered one ex's even had a newb account already that I didnt know about.

Its hard to say why I keep playing asin writing down the actual reasons but alot of it is due to love for the game etc. I like developing my char on a personal level within my play style. Alot imagination into my char style of how its been developed is unique to me and proud of. I doubt I ever do this again with any other game to the point of developing so far - This is the game I picked to do so. (Except maybe diablo - However I would say thats a smaller game than RS.) Any other game I wont spend huge part of my life playing to such an extreme. Its just disappointing that the company of the game I love choices to piss on players like me but wtf - >bad word< Them - My char is important to me and still love the game. Oh and ofcourse there are the people too. Aswell as the 'used to be' history of the game.. Except jagex is ruining that soon. =s But yeh.. History of game is a fun aspect for me. Old time players, legends, past top players, whole history of it is fascinating. It was fun to be around for a big part of that too.

But yeh im still a gamer - Not purely a runescaper - I play other games too =p I find the hours - I dont want to get old like most people anytime soon + I am still young. Want remain fresh and top of my game - So to speak. Some people go clubbing every night of week, play football, watch tv all day. I game every night of week, or asmuch as can anyway. Makes me very happy/enjoyment from it. I rather find ways to do the things I enjoy the most, though understandably thats not always practical, I have been upto this point so far without too much hassle.

Been playing since 2003 when I was 13. Now that I'm 21 I find my time to play severly reduced. Work/higher education/social life are all things that naturally became a higher priority to me so I play maybe 8 hours a week if that.

If I had more free time I doubt I would still play compulsively like I did when I was younger. I still play mostly out of boredom and kind of because it's been been in my life for 8 years.

Sylpheed.png

its the game i enjoy them most that can be combined with other activitys, tv/movies/when waiting for computer to finish a rendering etz.

And it has more chat options than most games out there, sure fallout/mw3 etz are fun, but u get tired from having not really communicating with anyone.

Finally, its really a good game, if you enjoy it instead of being a grinder, i just love spending time on role playing server from time to time.

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

I began playing a few years ago as a mature adult on the recommendation of my bank manager who was really into RS and other MMORPG's (yeah I know....don't say it). Since then I have played regularly, I have found it a wonderful way to relax after work, particularly some of the repetitive skills (those that some people call grinding, I call soothing). Now I am doing my Masters Degree in Business on top of my full time job and I still find time for RS, I think I always will :thumbsup:

35cq0q9.png

I play because I still find it to be relaxing and fun. The clan I'm in and these forums/xp-waste keep me interested in the game. I'm not sure what it is in the gameplay that keeps me playing.

This.

For me (at this point in my life) it's just something to kill the time.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Like ltk and God_Himself (and who could argue with God? :P ) I enjoy playing because it's relaxing. The repetitive actions that don't require a lot of concentration are very soothing after a hard day at work.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I have no good answer anymore.

+1

I think I just play because of the familiarity of it and the good times I've had. I recognize that it's just a clicky grindfest but I still play sometimes.

That and I like being successful for one thing in ma lyf.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

I like getting on when I'm bored but I don't play much anymore. In the same college situation. Lately I haven't even had time to sleep really. But I think the only reason I still keep membership is it's at least some sort of entertainment when I get really really bored.

While I was thinking about it, I have all of the reasons to quit but none of the reasons to play.

All my good friends are pretty much gone and moved on for one reason or another and I haven't felt a spark of real joy since mid 2010. I guess I play to chat mainly, but nothing even remotely filling. Another reason I should quit is that the game is feeling tasteless and burnt out on me but yet to find a decent game to find aside from cliches with no real depth. Not even remotely addicted to be honest.

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe I should switch my status to 'retired' and seek out something.

I play because I've spent enough time on this game that, and I know this sounds weird but, I've grown somewhat attached to my character. There are many like it, but this one is mine. The experience points, the equipment, my clanmates, Tip.It, and my memories of how I've developed my character all bring be back to this game. I have friends here, even if none them were the people I knew originally.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

In more realisitic words Will, inertia? :P

And I've found a reason why I play. To say pervy things to Ezkaton to make him feel awkward. :thumbsup:

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

Honestly I'd come back and play today if my friends did as well. As of right now though, most of them have moved on too. All of my friends have an Xbox and I have much more fun playing, say, Halo with a friend than I do playing Runescape by myself. Sure it's "massive multiplayer", but it's like you're playing with thousands of strangers. People who I met randomly would be like "friends?" when I had all of a two second conversation with them. I'd get messages later saying "halp oddment/tupaq i got scammed, gimme the loot gimme the loot". The community, for me, takes away from my enjoyment of the game.

The content itself I have no issue with. I actually got a month of members a while ago to play through WGS, and another to try and make a final push to regain my old quest cape. All of those times, however, were when I was home on break and didn't have Xbox Live. If I had the choice between 3 months of Runescape and 3 months of Xbox Live, I'd be playing Gears 3 over Runescape every time because my friends would play it with me.

Oddment1.png