Runescape Discussion: Why do you play?

Kilo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't. Skill wasted in a game where 40 year old women get farther up on dg highscores.

I'm only 26 damnit! :angry:

No offense, but I figured you were in your mid-30's.

I'm 26, my boobs are perky, and my butt is still tight. So screw you. :shame:

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

I don't. Skill wasted in a game where 40 year old women get farther up on dg highscores.

I was more talking about your penchant to complain about Runescape incessantly. Reminds me of a chick in her 30's/40's.

...But thank you for the information.

I was more talking about your penchant to complain about Runescape incessantly. Reminds me of a chick in her 30's/40's.

That's cause I'm kinda pissy. Sorry. You'll just have to deal with it. After 7 years of Runescape and Jagex's various attempts to ruin it, I grow weary quickly.

That and I'm very, very sarcastic. Now let's hush about my body parts before I get in trouble. :rolleyes:

PS Anyone who wants to know more about my body can message me or ask Ezkaton. He's seen a lot of it. ;)

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

That's cause I'm kinda pissy. Sorry. You'll just have to deal with it. After 7 years of Runescape and Jagex's various attempts to ruin it, I grow weary quickly.

That and I'm very, very sarcastic. Now let's hush about my body parts before I get in trouble. :rolleyes:

PS Anyone who wants to know more about my body can message me or ask Ezkaton. He's seen a lot of it. ;)

It doesn't much matter to me if you're 36-24-36, Tyra Banks, Adele or that chick who weighs like 728 lbs but wants to get bigger nor does it matter to me what e-attitude you have. I was just saying that I figured you were in your mid-30's-- at least-- based on the amount of complaining you do. Sort of like Qeltar, though I figured that guy was probably in his 40's or 50's, at least.

Edit: Okay, I lied. I do care if you're Tyra, in which case, message me :thumbsup: .

i sometimes log in to talk to people and check out updates

after 1b exp i didnt have desire to gain exp it can quickly get addicting.

Viv, I'm curious about your maxed out stats. Did you feel compelled to get all 99's to complete the game? The completionist cape itself I find to be a crazy concept. Why did you want all 99's, and did your friends in game help in any way?

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

I've always had a strong urge to finish what I'm doing. Satisfying myself by completing whatever comes on my path. Together with the urge to perfect myself I simply can't let things be the way they are; unfinished. This goes for playing the piano (getting better than my friends/family), creating a huge and close to complete hiphop-collection, willing to learn everything about everything. And, I would almost say 'unfortunately', playing RuneScape aswell.

I set the goal for a completionist cape (not the trimmed one, I do have some common sense) and I'm doing pretty good. In order to complete this goal I play as much as possible and am basically neglecting my study. At the moment the urge to 'complete' the game > doing a study or atleast, spending a lot of time on my study. No worries though, I'm blessed by a good brain and it shouldn't be hard to catch up with the tests etc.

When I'll get the cape I will either get 20M xp each skill or just quit right away. Either way, I won't spend valuable time on this game anymore; maybe when I got a spare hour I might do some skilling and/or merching. I am both scared and excited for the moment I will basically quit RS. How will I respond to the, I can say, huge change in lifestyle? But on the other hand I'm excited for all those new things I can learn and experience outside a screen, or atleast outside a gaming interface.

When I look at myself I'm pretty sure I play this game mainly for my own satisfaction, which I will get by 'completing' the game. I love the game and I obviosuly play because I find it entertaining, but if I didn't had this goal I wouldn't be playing. It would be a waste of time.

That's it, I hope I made myself clear. Ask if you want.

I've always had a strong urge to finish what I'm doing. Satisfying myself by completing whatever comes on my path. Together with the urge to perfect myself I simply can't let things be the way they are; unfinished. This goes for playing the piano (getting better than my friends/family), creating a huge and close to complete hiphop-collection, willing to learn everything about everything. And, I would almost say 'unfortunately', playing RuneScape aswell.

I set the goal for a completionist cape (not the trimmed one, I do have some common sense) and I'm doing pretty good. In order to complete this goal I play as much as possible and am basically neglecting my study. At the moment the urge to 'complete' the game > doing a study or atleast, spending a lot of time on my study. No worries though, I'm blessed by a good brain and it shouldn't be hard to catch up with the tests etc.

When I'll get the cape I will either get 20M xp each skill or just quit right away. Either way, I won't spend valuable time on this game anymore; maybe when I got a spare hour I might do some skilling and/or merching. I am both scared and excited for the moment I will basically quit RS. How will I respond to the, I can say, huge change in lifestyle? But on the other hand I'm excited for all those new things I can learn and experience outside a screen, or atleast outside a gaming interface.

When I look at myself I'm pretty sure I play this game mainly for my own satisfaction, which I will get by 'completing' the game. I love the game and I obviosuly play because I find it entertaining, but if I didn't had this goal I wouldn't be playing. It would be a waste of time.

That's it, I hope I made myself clear. Ask if you want.

If your account was ripping away from you right now, how would you respond?

Do you think the structure of the game, (large amounts of experience/clicking in order to reach level 99) is a way to keep you playing while you might not enjoy doing it?

You said your goal was to get a completionist cape, but when you started playing was that your reason for playing? You mentioned that you will get 20M in each skill before quitting, are you adding this goal to keep playing and prolong the runescape section of your life?

I'm curious if you're in college now, or will be next fall, I can't tell from the way you wrote your post.

Thanks for your response, I find it interesting asking the questions that we all think about when we play but push off to the side because we fear what the answers might be, so I respect your willingness to answer truthfully, I'm not sure I would have at the time.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

If your account was ripping away from you right now, how would you respond?

That's a good question which I have been asking myself lately. I don't know. I would either make a new account and try to max it as fast as possible (the Numbar1 Boss-way) or simply give up and think about what I'ma spend my time on. The smart choice would be the last one, I just don't know if I could live with an unaccomplished goal.

Do you think the structure of the game, (large amounts of experience/clicking in order to reach level 99) is a way to keep you playing while you might not enjoy doing it?

No and yes. I personally love the grinding and so perfecting whatever I'm doing. Grinding is what the RuneScape meta-game is all about, and that is what makes RS special. I do notice that the majority of the players don't like the grinding (hence why a small minority is 138, in comparison to WoW's 85 for example). On the other hand, for some people grinding can be addicting or, like me, the reward (satisfaction) is addicting. I guess most of us have certain skills they don't particulary like (oh Monkey Knife Fighters :|) but have to do anyway in order to accomplish levels or XP-goals. Other people decide to simply not do what they don't enjoy. Seems rather logical but to me personally, weak. Basically, grinding divides the die-hards and the so to say I-play-to-kill-time players.

You said your goal was to get a completionist cape, but when you started playing was that your reason for playing? You mentioned that you will get 20M in each skill before quitting, are you adding this goal to keep playing and prolong the runescape section of your life?

I've always wanted total levels more than my friends I guess, but after my 3-month holiday in Australia (I returned 4 months ago) I decided I'd really wanted to complete RS. I'm not sure I will get 20M all yet, have to figure that out. I really have to get that straight for myself months/weeks before I get the comp cape. Even if I decide to get 20M all, it will be done in spare hours in order to let everything come > RS. Right now it's quite the contrary, lol.

I'm curious if you're in college now, or will be next fall, I can't tell from the way you wrote your post.

I've started a new study this september.

Thanks for your response, I find it interesting asking the questions that we all think about when we play but push off to the side because we fear what the answers might be, so I respect your willingness to answer truthfully, I'm not sure I would have at the time.

Thanks for your kind words. Everyone should ask themselves why we do what we do (applies to everything: work, study, gaming, social life) and what the best thing would be in order to improve yourself. It saddens me to see that people play to kill time. That's not what life is about guys. Either enjoy it or quit.

The only reason I can still log in to RuneScape are my clans. If my clanmates weren't there, if I didn't find warring/pking enjoyable I'm sure I'd have quit long time ago. Skilling and stuff aren't fun for me anymore, I can't be f***d to spend few hours watching my XP increasing. I come back home from work after 8 hard hours and it's fun to talk to my clanmates on TS, to check forums, to go PK with them. It's like a second family hehe :cool:. So yeah my beloved Corruption clan keeps me playing this game.

EgS6L.png

- Proud Corruption Oldschool till the end-

It doesn't much matter to me if you're 36-24-36, Tyra Banks, Adele or that chick who weighs like 728 lbs but wants to get bigger nor does it matter to me what e-attitude you have. I was just saying that I figured you were in your mid-30's-- at least-- based on the amount of complaining you do. Sort of like Qeltar, though I figured that guy was probably in his 40's or 50's, at least.

Edit: Okay, I lied. I do care if you're Tyra, in which case, message me :thumbsup: .

Maybe it's my vocabulary. I do use a lot of old fashioned slang and terms. And Sly, no one complains more than a woman in her 20's.

And no, not Tyra. My forehead is way, way smaller. I'm 4'11, about 90 pounds, 34 B, 26 inch hips, but a small butt. Sorry, but I've been doomed to a white girl's booty.

• 1 month later...

I started playing this game back in early 2001, I'm now 22 years old, married and have my first child on the way... i've played this game off and on for a majority of my life now. The bottom line for the reason that I play it is because I enjoy it, however, the reason I enjoy the game has changed greatly throughout my life. For instance when I was young I thought it was awesome, you mean I can make my own armour and fight and kill people for theres?!?! SWEET! Now I go to my career of choice at 2 in the morning, work 8-10 hours depending on the day and all I want for a few hours before i fall asleep is some peace and quiet haha. I manage over 50 people in a building the size of about 3 football fields and they unload, sort, and re-load over 15,000 packages a night for delivery to your house all in a span of about 3 and a half hours... if you take the time to picture it you can get an idea of just how hectic my job can be. I put out figurative "fires" all night, with people constantly coming to me to solve problems and make decisions instantly. After that being every night of my life 5 times a week and then coming home to my wife and soon to be child, who also look to me for constant decision making and leadership it's no wonder why an hour or two a day I want to log into a game where i have complete freedom to make any choice I want and there be no REAL consequences to those decisions.

Another reason i still play well into my early adulthood is because it is so familiar and I've come so far in it. Being that I started this game so long ago, I have certain advantages in wealth and stats that I can essentially do whatever I want in the game, gp is no object. Like I said earlier, the bottom line is that I enjoy it. And I think that may just always be true, however, I think the exact reason behind me enjoying it will always change and continues to change.

I've always enjoyed this game because I do things differently and people notice. I try not to take the easy route.

Some of the relationships i've built on runescape can not be broken. I could log on each day or take a two year break when I see one of my friends, it makes me smile.

So if I had to sum it up in just a sentance. I play this game because it never seems to let me down.

I started playing when a friend introduced me to it, he quit shortly after. But I kept on. RS was the first true MMORPG i have played in my life. I started back in 2004, when RS2 wasn't released for very long (I didn't recognise that fact, as I never even heard of it before).

Once I started going into it, I realised how RS broke my entire perception of Java. Before I thought it was all just applets, but I realised it was an entire Platform.

Due to CC problems, I did not get members until March 2006, that's when it kick started me on my RS career. I enjoyed the great variety of skills and things to do in P2P, i thoroughly enjoyed quest story lines. My favourite story line definitely has to go to the Mahjarrat line, as I favor Zaros over all other gods, except possibly Serene. I find it unfortunate that the lined ended abruptly and there is a Deux Ex Machina at work towards the very end.

My favourite single quest has to be One Small Favor. It is possibly the only quest where your character properly reflects your thoughts when you were doing the quest (wouldn't you be annoyed that the reward for travelling around Gielinor was an unappreciative remark?), and I did enjoy travelling the world, so to speak.

I would like them to introduce a few quests that would lead to morally ambigous choices, Like perhaps a person who has good intentions is actually evil and a evildoer having good intentions.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

OCD. I don't play RuneScape right now, after quitting February of last year, but since then I have been on a few times in f2p, and also bought a month of membership after the bot nuke. The reason I mention OCD is because I hasn't finished the game with the goal I started with: 99 in all skills. It's like this for a lot of things with me, and I hate leaving something unfinished if I started it. When I was playing, it wasn't particularly fun, aside from chatting. None of my friends play it anymore, so I felt kind of like a loner when I went back to play it. I really want to deactivate my account, but for some reason, I just can't. Maybe it's the 45 days worth of time put into it, over the course of 4 years, or maybe I think that I'm going to be returning to it. I really hope it's not the second, but I'm certain that in the near future I'm going to give myself an excuse to play another month, such as a new update.

The community is terrible. Level 100s beg, lie, and if you give them even 50K (this happened once), they run off and dot thank you. It's horrible, in-game.

I also don't like the fact that there aren't a lot of people like me playing, which deters me. The majority of the players can't hold a conversation, much less spell correctly. I'm glad, however, because I don't want to come back.

But at the same time I do. Sigh, haha, RS has had a huge role in my life. But I'm in high school now (freshman) and that's more important, plus I haven't really had the time.

Nostalgia is the big one. It's been 10 years since I made this account. Compared to that time, my stats are crap :P

But yeah the point is, the game can sometimes bring me a lot of awesome memories. Especially if I login back to RSC. Things were a lot more fun when you had no idea what to do. I made my money killing Men back in RSC xD.

Another thing I like is leveling up. I just love getting exp and getting better and better. Every time you log on to Runescape, you get a bit better. You don't need to improve you real skills, just play and you get better, so it's relaxing, unlike some competitive games I play.

It kinda sucks people hate this game and I have to keep it a secret that I play it...

Amonitas.png

Quest cape since 11th July 99 Farming 4th February 99 Cooking 31st August

Nostalgia is the big one. It's been 10 years since I made this account. Compared to that time, my stats are crap :P

But yeah the point is, the game can sometimes bring me a lot of awesome memories. Especially if I login back to RSC. Things were a lot more fun when you had no idea what to do. I made my money killing Men back in RSC xD.

Another thing I like is leveling up. I just love getting exp and getting better and better. Every time you log on to Runescape, you get a bit better. You don't need to improve you real skills, just play and you get better, so it's relaxing, unlike some competitive games I play.

It kinda sucks people hate this game and I have to keep it a secret that I play it...

I felt the same way when I played.

I play Runescape now for pretty much the same reason I played it when I first started. Socializing.

When I was first separated from my ex I was a single mom with three children, and a job. I did not have the time to get out and socialize with other adults -- or much of anything else for that matter. Being a mom came first, my job tied up all my other time. It was tough going. I had been harmed emotionally and physically by my ex and I was lonely.

When my children found Runescape through Newgrounds, I was, at first, worried about who they were interacting with, so I kept a close eye on them while they played. As a teen, I had played the paper and pencil role-playing games and Runescape really hit a nerve with me. I reminded me a great deal of RuneQuest, which had been a favourite game of mine. Soon enough, I was smitten with Runescape itself, and I started my own character thereafter.

It was great for me as I said being a single mom, because it allowed me to be at home, and mind my kids while they were sleeping at night (young children go to bed so early), and still have the chance to talk to real live people.

10+ years later, here I am, still socializing with people on-line. Over the years, I have made some great friends on Runescape. We have a lot of fun together. I look forward to the few hours each night we spend together

nyuseg.png

I play because I find the game enjoyable, lots of lore, quests, and so much you can do. I meet a lot of really awesome and enjoyable people and I can be who I am, instead of being forced to conform to particular views placed upon me by my family and others I meet in real life. I've found that people on runescape are a lot less judging than the people I know in person. And that is a lot of what keeps me going.

Also: skilling + tv shows. I can still be accomplishing something in the game, like woodcutting, citadel, fishing or whatever. But I split-screen a tv show at the same time. It is great. Can't do that as easily with a lot of other games.

About enjoyment: I enjoy the game. There are things in the game I enjoy *less* than other aspects of the game. But the satisfaction from completing them is enjoyable. Sure this doesn't last forever. But like any addiction, the game plays upon the very things that we as humans enjoy. Progress, e-fame, prestige, and fantasy. I can be who I want, I make progress whenever I play, and there is some e-fame to be had for obtaining various skills and levels. We can use it as a measure of success. Sure all of these things may not "do it" for other people but... as long as I am living healthy, and earning enough money to pay for food/rent/shelter/etc... Most of life is about filling in the rest of that time. That is why we have hobbies, friends, games, whatever. Just because some people don't understand how runescape as a hobby allows us to meet people and enjoy friendships doesn't mean we can't. If runescape is a waste, then so is much of the modern lifestyle.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I'm about to start my second semester at university, and I still play because it's a way to kill time without being subject to a strict schedule. Mainly I play on breaks and a tiny bit when I can during the academic year. It's familiar, and I've come fairly close to maxing, which has been a goal of mine for a long time. Once I achieve that, I doubt I'll continue playing, with the exception of the occasional log in and quests.

Zeni.png