Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will all of rs wiki's content to be copied over to the official rs wiki?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Zantareous
[ Display Name History ]

Zantareous

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 424 posts
RuneScape's official wiki is terrible, so hard to navigate and limited in features compared to RSWiki.

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

The Dark Lord
[ Display Name History ]

The Dark Lord

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,517 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • Clan:S.W.A.G.
What is to prevent people supplying inaccurate information (although in a subtle way to make it harder to notice) in order to sabotage the JWiki?

As far as I know, Jagex won't do shit to anyone for doing this.
SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

RuneScape's official wiki is terrible, so hard to navigate and limited in features compared to RSWiki.

This. Jagex never seems to learn that they cant compete with dedicated fansites :lol:

enfield
[ Display Name History ]

enfield

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:realitybugll

What is to prevent people supplying inaccurate information (although in a subtle way to make it harder to notice) in order to sabotage the JWiki?

Omg, that sounds SO fun. Why didn't I think of that. But they have to be super subtle like you said.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Omg, that sounds SO fun. Why didn't I think of that. But they have to be super subtle like you said.

switch percentages on things is an easy way. Other things that are more theoretical are fun to do that with too.

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior
It's pretty easy to make niggly edits to an article, such that they can't be reverted without lots of effort on somebody else's part. Especially on a wiki, as I've said, that has no means of verifying its information. I could claim that Nyancat is a level 789 monster fought in One Small Favour using a butterfly net and, quite laughably, there's not any onus on me to provide a source for it as evidence.

battleben
[ Display Name History ]

battleben

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Dragon Kin
  • RSN2:Lowerniel D
  • Clan:The Scrying Pool
Posted Image
^
Jagex's face when they made their new website
But yeah, the official wiki is going to crash and burn.

CookMePlox
[ Display Name History ]

CookMePlox

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 247 posts
It's good to see some people with some understanding of fair use/licensing here. We have been trying to make sure that no content is copied from RS Wiki to the official site, although it's difficult when people just change a few words. People are also copying images which, while legally acceptable, is the kind of thing no serious fansite would ever do. I am not worried about the official wiki usurping our position: the edits are already slowing down and their SEO is not picking up.
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Posted Image

ixfd64
[ Display Name History ]

ixfd64

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,299 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:ixfd64
  • RSN2:ixfd64 rs2
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :-)
ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer
ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

la la la
[ Display Name History ]

la la la

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
I don't see why they are paying people to do something (moderate/administrate) that a fansite was doing for free already.

lalalasig2.png

Grimy_Bunyip
[ Display Name History ]

Grimy_Bunyip

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • RSN:Grimy Bunyip
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers

I don't see why they are paying people to do something (moderate/administrate) that a fansite was doing for free already.

I guess they think they're saving money on the old KB.
Posted Image

Bassy
[ Display Name History ]

Bassy

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Bassjason1
  • Clan:Spirit of Saradomin
I find it funny how there's already people on RS forums claiming how superior the Jagex Wiki is to RSWiki. It doesn't even stand a chance yet with all of the stubs. I am curious nonetheless to see how plagiarism is treated between the sites though. RSWiki does have rights to its content, as the site itself, and images,etc., is a derivative of an intellectual entity, meaning it is a work of art unto its own technically.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

I guess they think they're saving money on the old KB.

the old KB is doing that too. It was their attempt *back when they hated fansites* to try and outclass them on content, which failed hard

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts

I find it funny how there's already people on RS forums claiming how superior the Jagex Wiki is to RSWiki. It doesn't even stand a chance yet with all of the stubs. I am curious nonetheless to see how plagiarism is treated between the sites though. RSWiki does have rights to its content, as the site itself, and images,etc., is a derivative of an intellectual entity, meaning it is a work of art unto its own technically.

Derivative works of art are still beaches of copyright when the original image itself is subject to copyright, unless the artist can claim his work was published under fair use, in which case there are very limiting restraints on what adaptations the artist can legally make. Musicians are forever making remixes of each other's work, but unless they seek permission first, they're not entitled to claiming ownership of that remix (hence, claiming royalties for any profits earned) unless the original artist explicitly gave their permission for the new work to be published. Failure to obtain this permission before publication results in the work either being removed, destroyed, or the ownership of the work being passed back to the original artist.

"It's a work of art" is not an excuse you want to [bleep] around with over copyright laws. If RS Wiki contains copyrighted material, they have no right to claim ownership of it unless Jagex said they could use it, which they won't have done. What RS Wiki does have certain rights to is the editor-produced, original content that the site contains, in a similar--though not identical--way as Tip.It has rights over the Crew-produced, original content on the main site here.

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • RSN:Makoto D

Let's make it clear.

Screenshots from RuneScape: Protected by Jagex's copyright.
Derivative works from the game (i.e. concept art by a fan): Protected by the original creator's copyright.

"It's a work of art" is not an excuse you want to [bleep] around with over copyright laws. If RS Wiki contains copyrighted material, they have no right to claim ownership of it unless Jagex said they could use it, which they won't have done. What RS Wiki does have certain rights to is the editor-produced, original content that the site contains, in a similar--though not identical--way as Tip.It has rights over the Crew-produced, original content on the main site here.

So if you removed all of the copyrighted images from RSWiki, then it'd be fine. Because that's all that Jagex can really come after them for.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
Yep, absolutely. Jagex can keep their filthy mitts off the written stuff.

I mean really, that's where this thread should end. "Will all of RS Wiki's content be copied over the official RS Wiki?". No.

pal2002
[ Display Name History ]

pal2002

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • Location:Thine alabaster cities gleam, Undimmed by human tears
The official wiki is a tool to increase the thought police tactics of jagex. It is a marketing tool as well as something to keep the fansites and the guides away. It is also a disgrace to the idea of a wiki the way it is moderated.

Honestly, it is something that I despise and will always boycoytt against. Rswiki and tip.it for life.
I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles
Posted Image

CookMePlox
[ Display Name History ]

CookMePlox

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 247 posts

Derivative works of art are still beaches of copyright when the original image itself is subject to copyright, unless the artist can claim his work was published under fair use, in which case there are very limiting restraints on what adaptations the artist can legally make. Musicians are forever making remixes of each other's work, but unless they seek permission first, they're not entitled to claiming ownership of that remix (hence, claiming royalties for any profits earned) unless the original artist explicitly gave their permission for the new work to be published. Failure to obtain this permission before publication results in the work either being removed, destroyed, or the ownership of the work being passed back to the original artist.

This is all true. While they certainly have the legal right to use the images that are derivative from the game they produced, they seem to be removing images copied from other sites (specifically the wiki). I guess it's against their policies, even though at last count there were 97 copied pictures yet to be deleted. Nope, they're keeping them. This is stupid.
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Posted Image

Kata_Phfract__the_slayer
[ Display Name History ]

Kata_Phfract__the_slayer

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • RSN:Kata Phract

Implying it will get enough speed to crash in the first place.
Posted Image
I'm a Brony and proud of it!

Junkmutt
[ Display Name History ]

Junkmutt

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location:"I'm an Oregon homeboy where the sun don't shine much, but when it does we appreciate it."
  • RSN:Junkmatt

Implying it will get enough speed to crash in the first place.

Then it will groan to a halt.

The format of the official wiki is just terrible. Not only that but some pages are just terrible.
This page made me lol: The Dust Devil page
Drops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users