Oh cool a new item. How long till it degrades?

Powerfrog

I haven't read through these yet, but I'm sure they might shed some light on what Jagex is facing: http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/licensing_compliance__enfo/gambling_related_legislation.aspx

Puzzle Pirates has a healthy and thriving poker community. And yet Runescape cannot?

No one is saying RS "cannot". They are saying they don't want to. Then they point out that it's illegal. I have yet to see a Jmod say that it is completely impossible to break the law, because as your example shows, it's not. Is Puzzle Pirates a UK based company? Do they have memberships?

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree with you, OP. My brother insists I use all of the "new sweet armor and weapons," and when I ask him what it is and if it has to be recharged, he always tells me yes. I tell him to take that BS somewhere else. When I want to train, I want to train. I don't want to spend my limited time playing this game running around and having items recharged, spending a rediculous amount of money.

Good rant OP, good rant.

diabl0_915.png

Good rant, and it highlights something that dissapoints me as a mid-level player: I don't want Torva armour because it would be simply too expensive for me to use normally. It would be fun, but no fun when it comes to recharge time. Barrows armour recharge is so low I don't mind: 750k/hr is something different entirely.

I'm not sure what's wrong with not having recharge costs.

I'm not an efficienado.

I don't like how all the new, good items degrade. Ganodermic in particular, takes far too much to charge.

Same thing with Dominion gloves, the cost/usefulness ratio is a bit too high, though I'm not certain how long they last.

This DOES help the economy slightly, but no where near as much as less annoying, wanted, methods would. Such as an in-game gambling system that takes 5% of the pot.

I suggested that before, this reply might interest you:

21mcjtg.png

I think that's a little strange as any aspect of runescape could be counted as gambling, really.

Duel arena? No skill involved, just as bad as betting on horse racing.

Opening impling jars? Just like scratch cards.

The moment you kill a creature with a rare drop? Just like the lottery.

I'm pretty sure they do NOT need a gambling license to allow players to gamble RSGP, as it holds no real world value. (The black market value is obviously ignored as it's illegal)

There are a number of "children's" games that have gambling aspects, kingdom of loathing being a prime example.

Just as something is luck based doesn't make it "Gambling"

Gambling in the legal sense is specifically about placing some form of money against an outcome of some form of game of chance/skill in which you are not an instrumental part (eg poker, blackjack etc you play but the dealt cards are the cards. You're being there doesn't alter that.) and the house giving out/keep money based on the outcome.

Of course gambling in the broad sense includes many other things, but in legal terms it is the process of placing a bet agaisnt an outcome.

Duel Arena does come close, but as its you vs another player and not agaisnt "the house" it's not Gambling in the legal sense; which is what they want to avoid due to legal things.

Note: I am differentiating Gambling from gambling.

I understand your logic here, but i still don't believe jagex would break any laws if they implemented it into the game, as RSGP holds no real life value.

A good alternative, the exact thing KOL does and gets away with, is player vs player gambling, where the house takes a small cut. The money goes into the pot in advance, the cut is taken, the coin is flipped, the winner is paid. 50/50 odds for both players and jagex destroy 5%.

Welll, as soon as someone wants to bring Jagex to court about it, they bring up the fact that there's quite the market FOR RS gp. You can't dismiss the (probably) thriving market of RS GP trading just because it's technically against in-game rules - you have to accept the fact that RS GP gambling is gambling with a currency that has real world value.

Out of curiosity... I saw several people mention several examples of games having gambling in it that are tailored to minors. Of those games, how many of them actually use a currency to gamble with that has real world value?

To get back on topic (I'm not sure why we're discussing this here), I think that a recharge cost or degradation of a new item is problematic - rather, it's how fast it degrades and how much the recharge costs. People have been using barrows for years, because the recharge cost is relatively minor. With Ganodermic and Nex drops, the recharge rate is high enough that it's not worth using in a lot of places. Ganodermic and Nex gear is mainly used for boss fights because of it's cost-prohibitive recharge time.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Indeed. I'm not sure if removing the recharge cost of barrows would do anything game breaking, and I doubt the >100k per piece is going to make much of a dent in the economy. I can't really speak for high end gear though, outside of chaotics. By the time I have to charge my rapier, I've made the cost back through drops or dailies.

RSGP doesn't have a real world value though.

It doesn't matter if a few people sell it online, that doesn't give it a real value.

Except for, you know, the value it really has.

Indeed. I'm not sure if removing the recharge cost of barrows would do anything game breaking, and I doubt the >100k per piece is going to make much of a dent in the economy. I can't really speak for high end gear though, outside of chaotics. By the time I have to charge my rapier, I've made the cost back through drops or dailies.

Yes. The problem is, if I get a rapier I would love to still get money from my dailies to spend on the frivolous things I used to spend it on, like skill training etc.

I'm not an efficienado.

RSGP doesn't have a real world value though.

It doesn't matter if a few people sell it online, that doesn't give it a real value.

Do you own a few million Runescape gp? Are you aware that you could sell it anytime, for real-world money? I've heard it's about 0.5$ for a million gp.

GPs *do* have a real world value. Regardless if it's against game rules or not. In the recent years, there were several court cases involving online stuff where people who "stole" online goods were actually sentenced for theft. The precedence is there.

It's obvious that Jagex is aware of it. If they add in an "official" way to gamble, it will get very difficult for them. Even if they should be able to win the case, it would still suck away a lot of time, money and energy better spent elsewhere.

it takes 12 mins Max to make the 200k and like 40 mins for the tokens. Rapiers save way more than 52 mins.

When accuracy isn't an issue, and you do take 52 minutes to recharge, rapier is only just slightly better than whip (ignoring the xp you'd get making the money and tokens.)

But this isn't just about rapier, rapier is almost understandable as you'll see by my rant in the OP.

Things like torva. Torva platebody costs 200k/hour combat to recharge. That's too expensive to be efficient anywhere other than a few bosses.

CNqWHdA.jpg

it takes 12 mins Max to make the 200k and like 40 mins for the tokens. Rapiers save way more than 52 mins.

When accuracy isn't an issue, and you do take 52 minutes to recharge, rapier is only just slightly better than whip (ignoring the xp you'd get making the money and tokens.)

But this isn't just about rapier, rapier is almost understandable as you'll see by my rant in the OP.

Things like torva. Torva platebody costs 200k/hour combat to recharge. That's too expensive to be efficient anywhere other than a few bosses.

That's completely untrue. 19 strength bonus is far from trivial.

Idc about your other points cuz they're more or less correct, and that makes them boring.

That's completely untrue. 19 strength bonus is far from trivial.

Idc about your other points cuz they're more or less correct, and that makes them boring.

No, i mean it's roughly 10% higher max hit in otherwise max strength none degradable gear. So you save an hour every 10 hours, but spend 52 minutes charging it.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Im probally alone on this and while I can understand where you guys are coming from I don't mind the rechargeable gear. It makes sense that things wear out as they are used to be honest and i dont think people should be able to afford the best possible gear in every place possible without atleast paying up alittle.

:P

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png