Runescape Pkers = Ignorant Hypocrites

Conkere

The frikkin noise you put onto the movie sound channel made me stop the video right away... Sorry

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone explain what the alleged perpetrator has done that makes them an 'ignorant hypocrite'? I really couldn't see what's wrong with that clip.

If you're unfamiliar with pking, it would be hard to understand. Eating to full health is sometimes referred to as 'safing' and is frowned upon by some of the less-skilled pkers. Also, he teleported away simply because he was 1) getting wrecked 2) supposedly "sick of his safing." Mind you, teleporting away is even more frowned upon than safing is.

hzvjpwS.gif

As for Revs, they were put in the wilderness to try to replace the danger of the removed PK'ers (back when wilde/FT was removed) and their drops were primarily intended for PVP use.

Yes but there at least was a fairness with fighting or running from revs. You stood a fighting chance. Revs 20 levels below you didn't have the ability to teleblock, freeze, then kill you in 2-3 clicks. Pkers have that ability. I've seen it, and I've (almost) fell victim to it. With revs the wilderness was dangerous, not impossibly unfair. That's the difference.

Yes but there at least was a fairness with fighting or running from revs. You stood a fighting chance. Revs 20 levels below you didn't have the ability to teleblock, freeze, then kill you in 2-3 clicks. Pkers have that ability. I've seen it, and I've (almost) fell victim to it. With revs the wilderness was dangerous, not impossibly unfair. That's the difference.

They weren't 'fair' they were 'stupid'.

You consider them fair because they were easier to kill/run away from than the average pker. This was never their intention. They could even be made to flee with a summoning familiar scroll! Sorry, but the wilderness was not dangerous with revenants. It wasn't even remotely challenging. It was as empty as a park. If you think that revenants were challenging, then your skills are woefully underdeveloped.

hzvjpwS.gif

You consider them fair because they were easier to kill/run away from than the average pker. This was never their intention. They could even be made to flee with a summoning familiar scroll! Sorry, but the wilderness was not dangerous with revenants. It wasn't even remotely challenging. It was as empty as a park. If you think that revenants were challenging, then your skills are woefully underdeveloped.

And if you think having absolutely no chance at winning or escape is simply "dangerous" then you are ignorant. Danger implies a chance of survival however small it may be. And Runescape is not a game of skill. It is a game of who can put in more hours per day at building your stats.

Not everyone likes PKing though, regardless of how dangerous it is. And if you want to get all your pengs, you do have to go there. Same if you want to rev hunt - again you have to go to a PvP area. It's kinda annoying that there are activities that aren't related to PvP yet require you to go there if you want to do them.

If you want to do them but you don't like the wilderness, then you clearly don't want to do them enough. I don't like pking, I don't like pkers. Yet you don't see me shying away from dangerous activities because the risk is outweighed by the reward.

So hopefully you'll understand why I say that complaining about it holds no weight when there's still ways to do some things--or if there isn't, there is compensated reward to make up for the risk. It's a load of rubbish.

Not everyone likes PKing though, regardless of how dangerous it is. And if you want to get all your pengs, you do have to go there. Same if you want to rev hunt - again you have to go to a PvP area. It's kinda annoying that there are activities that aren't related to PvP yet require you to go there if you want to do them.

If the danger:reward proportions aren't balanced, then the solution to that is to buff up the rewards, not remove the danger. I think almost all RuneScape players would like to see more risk for greater reward, rather than play a game with zero danger. 99 cooking doesn't really get the adrenaline pumping as much as entering the Wilderness does, end of.

I also don't understand where this axiom of Peng Hunting > PKing has come from. Why does your 'right' to do penguin hunting outweigh a PKer's 'right' to kill players in their own backyard?

Well, you don't seem to see the issue that I have with it..but that's okay since not that many people see it >.>

First of all, for me it's not about the danger or dying. It's the fact that being killed by a player who's just there to ruin your fun is an entirely different thing for me than being killed by a monster. I still do the wilderness penguins, because for me they're more than just a bunch of xp - I want to have all of them spied, I also want to help herding and that means I'll have to put up with it I guess. I just wish there was an option not having to put up with it though - like some non PvP worlds. Revs can be made more dangerous, there could be no graves etc. They can easily be made as dangerous as the pkers you encounter will be. Besides, since you're not risking items while penguin hunting anyway, it doesn't even matter that much.

I just know that I thoroughly enjoyed wilderness penguins before the change, a lot more than stupid sawmill or dragontooth or whatever. After the change, I don't anymore.

I also never implied that penguin hunting should rank over PKing. I don't want to take away PKing - I'd just like a possibility to enjoy my activity how I like it and how it's been for the past years - without PvP. I can't find any consideration for griefers in my heart though and I don't think that their playstyle should be catered to, as I, from a personal standpoint, find it disgusting, but I guess there are no big chances for that as large parts of the wilderness is just about that playstyle and not what I would consider honest PvP.

And if you think having absolutely no chance at winning or escape is simply "dangerous" then you are ignorant. Danger implies a chance of survival however small it may be. And Runescape is not a game of skill. It is a game of who can put in more hours per day at building your stats.

Danger is the absence of total safety. It isn't the necessary presence of it. I'm not really sure what your definition of dangerous is, but the revenants were not dangerous to anyone other than those training at the agility training course. Even then, PKers are far harder to evade than revenants.

(1) I still do the wilderness penguins, because for me they're more than just a bunch of xp - I want to have all of them spied, I also want to help herding and that means I'll have to put up with it I guess. I just wish there was an option not having to put up with it though - like some non PvP worlds... (2) Revs can be made more dangerous, there could be no graves etc. They can easily be made as dangerous as the pkers you encounter will be. Besides, since you're not risking items while penguin hunting anyway, it doesn't even matter that much... (3) I just know that I thoroughly enjoyed wilderness penguins before the change, a lot more than stupid sawmill or dragontooth or whatever. After the change, I don't anymore.

1: So you'd have people grinding away at green dragons/doing Wilderness clue scrolls with absolutely no risk whatsoever? Frankly, I think you are crazy for even contempating this as a feasible idea. The Wilderness is exactly that--a lawless place where anything should go in terms of PvP. Remove PvP (or the revenants whilst they badly substituted that role) and you may as well call it The Plush Black Meadows, because there really isn't any niche left for it. A request to remove penguins from the Wilderness I can understand, so long as you accepted that sixteen points was no longer a fair amount to give per week, but to remove PvP entirely from some worlds is senseless.

2: No they can't be made as dangerous. Revenants cannot and never will possess all the small knowledge that some people on this forum term 'metagaming'. You go to any beat-em-up game's online community and try claiming that the difference between individual players doesn't come down to metagaming--you'll be laughed off within minutes. You'll be laughed off within minutes from here if you continue to persist that a computer manifestation such as revenants can 'learn' the RuneScape PvP metagame, which is a perminent state of flux.

3: Generally, appeals to how you feel are not good bases for a meaningful debate.

Edited by Ginger_Warrior

Of course they can be made as dangerous as PKers. Saying that it's not possible is just wrong. To make an extreme example, give them a max hit of 2000, and we'll see how someone fares against that. Of course a Rev will never be able of metagaming....but he doesn't have to. He can still be dangerous without that.

It is possible to make them as dangerous, the bigger issue would be balancing. Besides...those PKers you would meet alone, going after individuals who seem a lot weaker than they are, won't be wearing top-notch gear, nor will they exactly be the best of PKers around.

Imagine a revenant that is capable of running, has more lifepoints, maybe double or 1.5 of the old max hit. He still has his freezing and teleblocking abilities. Why exactly would that not be as dangerous as some random player?

I should also mention that, unless you are on w60, where you might run into some griefers, or on one of the popular PKing worlds...the chance of even encountering a PKer is slim. Revenants would be a step up here....

Removal of penguins would be an option...but it has some disadvantages to it, one being that some enjoy it like it is, in a PvP area, plus finding another area with a somewhat similar danger would be preferable, which will be kind of difficult I guess.

As on 3...it's not an argument. It's how I feel, and I know some others that feel similar. If that's the case, the situation is suboptimal. Sure, that doesn't mean that another option HAS to be better. But it's something that should be looked at and rectified if it's possible and doesn't take too much time.

And if they removed PKers from w60... wouldn't how they feel make the move suboptimal? It will always be suboptimal in someone else's eyes. You've reverted back to the "My fun is more important than theirs" line. The thing that held revenants back as a killing force was adaptability. The first example of metagaming was not this recent 'efficiency' craze, nor was it dungeoneering, or MHing. It was pures, in my opinion. Pures use priorly gained knowledge to deliberately manipulate the combat level system, to make themselves appear a lesser threat than they actually are--this can be both a protective measure against other PKers, or an offensive advantage against potential victims who don't know any better. For this reason, a much lwoer level can defeat a more balanced higher level with ease. A revenant's combat level is relative to how dangerous it actually is... there's no forethought in the design of revenants about why pures, amongst other PKing groups, were so successful for so long. Moreover, even if Jagex did program revenants in this image, they'd be obselete within months due to the constantly changing PvP metagame. Jagex wouldn't be able to adapt them, lest understand what changes needed to be made, quick enough to keep them in balance with real-player PKers.

To be honest, so far all you've really done is shout "They can be made as powerful as PKers" without any detailed analysis of why PKers are dangerous in the first place. All you've done is lazily tag all PKers as 'griefers', and desperately looked for the next best alternative--steroid-induced revenants, which were never an ideal nor a permament solution to the original unbalanced trading update which saw the removal of PKing.

You know, it seems odd that someone complaining about overly leveled pures has 99 mage, maxed melee, 97 range, and if you're really worried you could just take a pack-yack full of brews... I mean, except for a steel titan, or maybe really expensive gear, I can't think of anything a PK'er would PK you with that you don't have or have easy access to.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

And if they removed PKers from w60... wouldn't how they feel make the move suboptimal? It will always be suboptimal in someone else's eyes. You've reverted back to the "My fun is more important than theirs" line. The thing that held revenants back as a killing force was adaptability. The first example of metagaming was not this recent 'efficiency' craze, nor was it dungeoneering, or MHing. It was pures, in my opinion. Pures use priorly gained knowledge to deliberately manipulate the combat level system, to make themselves appear a lesser threat than they actually are--this can be both a protective measure against other PKers, or an offensive advantage against potential victims who don't know any better. For this reason, a much lwoer level can defeat a more balanced higher level with ease. A revenant's combat level is relative to how dangerous it actually is... there's no forethought in the design of revenants about why pures, amongst other PKing groups, were so successful for so long. Moreover, even if Jagex did program revenants in this image, they'd be obselete within months due to the constantly changing PvP metagame. Jagex wouldn't be able to adapt them, lest understand what changes needed to be made, quick enough to keep them in balance with real-player PKers.

To be honest, so far all you've really done is shout "They can be made as powerful as PKers" without any detailed analysis of why PKers are dangerous in the first place. All you've done is lazily tag all PKers as 'griefers', and desperately looked for the next best alternative--steroid-induced revenants, which were never an ideal nor a permament solution to the original unbalanced trading update which saw the removal of PKing.

PKers might get their last edge out of using tactical approach and they will always win against a monster with the same traits. But a pker that has low stats isn't dangerous, the same as an incredibly stupid monster with high stats IS dangerous. And I don't agree that PvP is so rapidly changing that they will be obsolete soon. In essence, there's not so much that has changed about runescpaes combat system. In the end, you're still whacking each others with weapons and hope for a high hit. Skill matters a lot with PKing, sure, but the max hits and defence bonuses you can get with your equipment still matters more.

Also...I'm not! tagging all PKers as griefers. Griefers are those hanging out for example on 60 and going after penguin hunters. They know they won't be getting much loot, they know they will likely not get an interesting enemy. They're there to ruin other people's fun because they like it, and that's what a griefer is.

As for "my fun is more important than theirs!"....well, I differentiate here. If "they" are PKers, then no. if "they" are griefers, then yes. I don't think griefers should be catered to or welcomed in any game. I find it to be quite disgusting really. That's probably why I hate being killed by one of those guys so much.

You know, it seems odd that someone complaining about overly leveled pures has 99 mage, maxed melee, 97 range, and if you're really worried you could just take a pack-yack full of brews... I mean, except for a steel titan, or maybe really expensive gear, I can't think of anything a PK'er would PK you with that you don't have or have easy access to.

If I'm wearing Bandos, a mage could annihilate me easily with a few clicks. Metal armor=extremely weak to magic regardless of melee level. Entangle/Teleblock/ then about three hits with earth or fire surge and it's all over. This from a good distance away where I can't even make an attempt at fighting back unless I happen to have brought range equipment or runes of my own. Last time some little kid attacked me I had 20 sharks on me. I barely escaped eating all but four of them.

You are right though it is odd that RS should allow the pvp system to be so skewed. Makes no sense. Only thing I can figure is they're really trying to capitalize on the 11-15 year old market being that's the mentality that attracts pkers.

You are right though it is odd that RS should allow the pvp system to be so skewed. Makes no sense. Only thing I can figure is they're really trying to capitalize on the 11-15 year old market being that's the mentality that attracts pkers.

First sentence starts reasonably. Second is an understandable point of view. Last sentence sends it all to hell with a gigantic leap from left to right while tripping over your own feet in the middle.

If you don't like pking, fine. But you're now allowing your dislike for the activity taint your reason to an insane degree.

hzvjpwS.gif

If I'm wearing Bandos, a mage could annihilate me easily with a few clicks. Metal armor=extremely weak to magic regardless of melee level. Entangle/Teleblock/ then about three hits with earth or fire surge and it's all over. This from a good distance away where I can't even make an attempt at fighting back unless I happen to have brought range equipment or runes of my own. Last time some little kid attacked me I had 20 sharks on me. I barely escaped eating all but four of them.

Your fault for wearing bandos. Oh, and not having a Yack with 20 more sharks. And I'm only saying that because you CAN use a yack.

It's called not wearing valuables to the wilderness lol. Wear black dragon hide - good mage def, extremely cheap. Maybe wear a cheap shield for added melee def.

PKers might get their last edge out of using tactical approach and they will always win against a monster with the same traits. But a pker that has low stats isn't dangerous, the same as an incredibly stupid monster with high stats IS dangerous. And I don't agree that PvP is so rapidly changing that they will be obsolete soon. In essence, there's not so much that has changed about runescpaes combat system. In the end, you're still whacking each others with weapons and hope for a high hit. Skill matters a lot with PKing, sure, but the max hits and defence bonuses you can get with your equipment still matters more.

Also...I'm not! tagging all PKers as griefers. Griefers are those hanging out for example on 60 and going after penguin hunters. They know they won't be getting much loot, they know they will likely not get an interesting enemy. They're there to ruin other people's fun because they like it, and that's what a griefer is.

As for "my fun is more important than theirs!"....well, I differentiate here. If "they" are PKers, then no. if "they" are griefers, then yes. I don't think griefers should be catered to or welcomed in any game. I find it to be quite disgusting really. That's probably why I hate being killed by one of those guys so much.

You could hop off world 60. Protip: the wilderness was actually around before pengs. Or hell, just barrage them back, you have 96 magic.

Or everybody bumrush him with a DDS?

Skip the peng, wear dragon hide to avoid mage freezing, fight him back, hop worlds...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

First sentence starts reasonably. Second is an understandable point of view. Last sentence sends it all to hell with a gigantic leap from left to right while tripping over your own feet in the middle.

If you don't like pking, fine. But you're now allowing your dislike for the activity taint your reason to an insane degree.

Why? Pking is a very childish activity. Everyone speaks of how you can get penguin hunting exp, and the like *without* going into the wilderness. You could also argue you can get rewards from killing monsters in dungeons rather than ruin other players' experience(s) by pk'ing them. So why would someone kill another player? Machismo? Or just the simple act of taking advantage of an unfair system? Whatever the reason it's pretty childish. Maybe it's not the age, but the bullying like mentality that pkers has leads me to believe they are pre-teens or slightly older. It's not really an insane conclusion.

Why? Pking is a very childish activity. Everyone speaks of how you can get penguin hunting exp, and the like *without* going into the wilderness. You could also argue you can get rewards from killing monsters in dungeons rather than ruin other players' experience(s) by pk'ing them. So why would someone kill another player? Machismo? Or just the simple act of taking advantage of an unfair system? Whatever the reason it's pretty childish. Maybe it's not the age, but the bullying like mentality that pkers has leads me to believe they are pre-teens or slightly older. It's not really an insane conclusion.

What?

child·ish/ˈCHīldiSH/

Adjective:

Of, like, or appropriate to a child.

Silly and immature.

Synonyms:

infantile - babyish - puerile - childlike - boyish

I see nothing in your argument that supports the proposition that 'Pking is a very childish activity' [sic] - the supposed reasoning isn't relevant to its alleged childishness at all. Please also understand there's a distinction between what a participant does, and what the activity involves - it's not PvP's fault that those who choose to partake in it do so in a way which is disruptive to others. It's the player's choice - it's not a flaw of the system.

Please, also, explain how it's supposedly 'taking advantage of an unfair system' [sic] - why would I, or any other who don't agree on that matter, accept the proposition when you haven't provided reasoning?

If you're going to raise a dispute, at least justify your position.

You could also argue you can get rewards from killing monsters in dungeons rather than ruin other players' experience(s) by pk'ing them. So why would someone kill another player? Machismo? Or just the simple act of taking advantage of an unfair system? Whatever the reason it's pretty childish. Maybe it's not the age, but the bullying like mentality that pkers has leads me to believe they are pre-teens or slightly older. It's not really an insane conclusion.

I don't see how you could argue something like that successfully. Your 'experience' hinges on the fact that you're walking into an area that was designed for player-vs-player interaction. Anything else within it is secondary. If you don't want that experience ruined, using your words, then you avoid that area because you don't like the conditions you'd have to agree to when entering it. You do something else. I would understand your frustration if you could be pked anywhere in all of the worlds, because that would truly be unfair. But since it's not, and you enter the wilderness willingly to do your activities, you don't get to push blame onto the pkers for doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing. And beyond blaming, you instead insult a whole group of people by calling them childish, bullies, stupid, macho-men. That's like saying everyone on tip.it is a pansy by going off the posts that don't like PK'ers. Surely you can see how ridiculous that is, and why it is most certainly an insane conclusion.

hzvjpwS.gif

I wouldn't label it as an insane conclusion, or anything as such - rather, it's an unjustified assertion held by those who hold too tightly towards emotivism as opposed to utilitarianism.

Or if you want your point to get across in a more succinct manner...an insane conclusion.

hzvjpwS.gif

Hey we should remove penguins from the wilderness because sometimes when i'm pking i misclick one and it causes me to die!

That's how crazy selfish you sound right now. I get the point of being annoyed that they're just there to annoy you, yes, those people are douchebags. But in my experience they're very rare (I've NEVER been attacked in w60 hunting pengs) and i'm assuming the type of people that do that would be low level and poorly equipped.

And you said that when you bring bandos you get maged. Heres an idea, don't bring bandos into the wilderness. Bring nothing or dhide like everyone else. Maybe then you won't attract people wanting to kill you.

CNqWHdA.jpg

I suppose one irony is that when the penguins end up in deep Wildy, some hunters actually want to be PKed for a quick and free spawn tele. The vast, vast majority of kills I've seen on w60 have been explicitly asked for.

I can understand you don't see the need for it, and I won't be claiming that I'm in the majority nor that Jagex has to do that. But what exactly (If you leave the amount of time Jagex would have to spend on coding this) would bother you about non-PvP worlds? No matter what, I cannot think of anything that would trouble anyone except griefers. You yourself consider them douchebags, so why in particular don't you like the idea(Or rather, why aren't you indifferent about it)?

I can understand you don't see the need for it, and I won't be claiming that I'm in the majority nor that Jagex has to do that. But what exactly (If you leave the amount of time Jagex would have to spend on coding this) would bother you about non-PvP worlds? No matter what, I cannot think of anything that would trouble anyone except griefers. You yourself consider them douchebags, so why in particular don't you like the idea(Or rather, why aren't you indifferent about it)?

If they were to make 1 world like it was pre-FT/W reintroductions, it would skew risk-reward drastically. Essentially, you would be walking in a space of nothingness because everyone would want the easy-to-kill revenants meaning there would be literally no danger for you guys. You might as well ask for an empty wilderness for all the sense that makes.

hzvjpwS.gif