Best gear for slaying.

Low Levelled

I do not have chaotics, or the cash for bandos. I do have a dragon defender, whip, and Sara sword, but that's about it. I have a few mil to play around with. What are the best options for me?

My current setup is usually just black mask, dh plate, v skirt, and drag boots. Plus RoW, glory and obby cape.

I'm sort of new to slayer, so I need a lot of help. Thank you.

The base slayer gear is as follows (alternatives in brackets):

• [For all slayer monsters except those mentioned under other weapons] Chaotic rapier (whip)
  • Bandos body + legs (Verac's skirt with either fighter torso or proselyte top)
  • [Depending on prayer/accuracy needs] Fire cape/Soul Wars cape/Ardougne cloak 3
  • Barrows gloves (your best rfd gloves, at least rune)
  • Steadfast/Dragon boots (rune boots)
  • Amulet of fury (glory)
  • Dragon defender (rune defender)
  • Berserker ring (i)/ferocious ring if slaying in Kuradal's Dungeon (berserker ring, warrior ring)
  • [Most important] Full slayer helmet.
  • [For magic defence on waterfiends/aquanites] Karil's top and elite void skirt (black dragonhide body and chaps)
  • [Crush attacks to use on waterfiends] Chaotic maul (Saradomin sword, Zamorakian spear)
  • [stab attacks for higher-levelled dragons, when not using rapier] Korasi's sword (Zamorakian spear, leaf-bladed sword)
  • Task-specific items such as mirror shields, antifire shields/potions, elemental shields, rock hammers, crystal chimes
  • Cannon (optional, up to personal preference)

Slayer setups generally emphasise strength bonus, which increases the average damage of each succesful hit (slayer monsters usually having rather low defence, hitting is not a problem). Secondly, prayer bonus is important to keep the cost of prayer potions down (as you slay with piety on, to increase the speed of your kills. This is cost-effective and highly recommended). As a rule of thumb, +10 prayer bonus or above is good, but don't overdo it (anything above +20 is a waste). Defence and accuracy bonus are usually not fretted over (any defence bonus over 200 will do; if you get hit too often you should be using a protection prayer). Dagganoth, black demon, black dragon, lesser demon, hellhound, bloodveld and spectre tasks should be cannoned, as it dramatically increases xp rates (although it costs a bit).

Some notes on gear: You'll want a fury and a berserker ring before you get bandos plate, and get that before tassets. You'll want accuracy bonus on higher-levelled dragons; if using stab attacks (which you should) you can use the Ardougne cloak 3 which provides you with +6 stab and +6 prayer bonus. Torso + sw cape and fire cape + proselyte are common cheap top/cape combinations; the former is better.

Some levels to get for slayer (in approximate order but I'm not sure on the summoning):

• 70 prayer and King's Ransom - piety
  • 68 summoning - bunyip
  • 81 dungeoneering (you need 2 million xp, which takes you to level 80, but allowing some tokens for the scroll of life) - rapier
  • 89 herblore (85 with a +4 stew boost) - extreme potions, superantifires
  • 95 prayer - turmoil and soul split
  • 88 summoning - unicorn
  • 96 herblore (91 with a +5 stew boost) - overload
  • 99 summoning - steel titan

I'm sure I missed something but this is most of it.

For you that means: get a better cape (fire, Soul Wars, Ardougne), get 70 prayer, keep using whip + defender (but work on rapier), keep using the Barrows gear, get a (full) slayer helmet, start using piety if you didn't already, work on 68 summoning.

You should remove some of the goal trackers from your sig as well, it's too tall now ;).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

•  
  • work towards getting 70 pray for proselyte and piety (it's worth it to piety tasks when you are able to).
  • maybe get a chaotic rapier, if you like dg
  • save money for 87 herblore
  • do smoking kills asap

Smoking kills is done. I do not care for dg, so I don't think chaotics are in my near future. 70 prayer and 87 herblore can be achieved, but I'm looking to slay right meow.

Quyneax's post is a pretty good run-down of what you need to slay efficiently. You CAN slay, and maybe even enjoy it, without chaotic weapons, or even without cannoning. It is definitely worth getting at LEAST access to piety, and training your Summoning. Summoning is sooooo useful to slayers, between healing familiars, bobs, and titans.

it's worth, in my opinion, to work on obtaining Korasi's sword, too. It's a good alternative to rapier for a stab weapon, which is a must, since you will encounter many tasks needing stab.

Cannoning is a tossup. Most of my guildmates in SGV1 swear by it, but I don't have the cash flow to personally justify the cost of cannonballs. Particularly when many of the tasks that would be cannoned are not real big moneymakers, period.

I love Slayer. It is my favorite skill in Runescape. I find it both a relaxing grind, but less "grindy" than most skills. Have fun with it. It won't take you long to get a feel for which tasks you like and which ones you don't.

I feel the same way about Slayer.

I would wear SW Cape on tasks you will use both Prot Melee and boosting prayer(s) on, and Fire Cape on just Piety tasks.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

Ideally, you'd cannon every task you can. However, cballs have been through the roof since the bot nuke, so it'd be a tad unrealistic to do so. You'll have to find a balance that works for you. It's also worth getting a rapier. You might as well use a bronze scimitar if you're gonna use a whip.

"You might as well use a bronze scimitar if you're gonna use a whip". Is this the most idiotic statement of the year? I think it might be. A whip is a decent weapon for slayer, and people slayed just fine without chaotics. Yes, a rapier is a significant power boost, but whips aren't in the same league as a dragon scimitar, never mind bronze. (And no, I'm not just saying that because I don't have a rapier, as I do have one.)

Asmodean <3

The original poster mentioned more than once that Chaotics are not in his near future. Whip, with or without the vine, is a fine alternative for most tasks.

If you want some more advice, feel free to drop into SGV1 sometime. We have members for whom 99 is a long way away, and many who passed 99 a long time ago, and never stopped!

Ideally, you'd cannon every task you can. However, cballs have been through the roof since the bot nuke, so it'd be a tad unrealistic to do so. You'll have to find a balance that works for you. It's also worth getting a rapier. You might as well use a bronze scimitar if you're gonna use a whip.

Should I get a bronze dagger too?

No need to take him literally. All he meant was that Rapier is worth getting.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

l0l rip

come on Mere, just stop trolling already lol.

Follow my road to 5.6/Gold Reaper/True Trim - DAT BLOG

Get a rubber chicken or at least understand his point.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

"You might as well use a bronze scimitar if you're gonna use a whip". Is this the most idiotic statement of the year? I think it might be. A whip is a decent weapon for slayer, and people slayed just fine without chaotics. Yes, a rapier is a significant power boost, but whips aren't in the same league as a dragon scimitar, never mind bronze. (And no, I'm not just saying that because I don't have a rapier, as I do have one.)

Fell into the sar-chasm. Sad day.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword