What's the player base like these days?

NotoriousPSC

Ignorance is bliss for me. I live and play in my own little world in a small clan full of long time friends that I've been playing with since before R.S. went downhill. I just avoid or ignore basically everyone else except those that actually play the game for a good time and enjoy the experience.

=D

Buddha_Life.png

Buddha_Life.png

Buddha_Life.png

The bot nuke removed a large number of "players" and the online numbers haven't been the same since. Your sig doesn't work because you're probably not a member right now. Non-members no longer show up on the hiscores.

Showing up in hiscore (ie: ranked<100,000,000) has nothing to do with your stats showing up in sigs or not, all you need was lv30+.

Signature and calculators (tip.it/runetrack/runehead/zybez/younameit) grab these data from data feeds, rather than directly from the hiscores.

However, capitalist Jagex decides to remove that feature for f2p for some reason as well.

Runetrack's explanation

[qfc]278-279-967-63398482[/qfc]

Ignorance is bliss for me. I live and play in my own little world in a small clan full of long time friends that I've been playing with since before R.S. went downhill. I just avoid or ignore basically everyone else except those that actually play the game for a good time and enjoy the experience.

=D

This is essentially what I do once I am in game. I am part of a clan, and while I was initially a stranger to just about everyone, I've found some great friends. The clan has quality standards, and it gets rid of those that don't meet them.

But then, all the BS doesn't even bother me that much. I'm a bit bored with the game, so one of my favourite activities is people watching. It is totally fascinating watching how people interact online vs the real world.

About the community being shit though, it all depends on how hard you look. First, people are naturally inclined to remember the negative much more strongly than the positive. Also, all the people who aren't involved in being ass clowns aren't going to be inclined to talk in public. Their either keeping to themselves to avoid attracting attention so that they don't have to deal with the immature, or they are already involved in talking with their friends in private, friends or clan chats. The real trick is meeting the good people, who I would say are still the majority, because they have all learned to avoid public interaction. Public chat isn't worth fighting for, so we all retreated to environments where we can exercise for control.

The demographics is basically similar to the past, except that imo efficiency is what is being over-exaggerated.

People really need to learn how to relax a bit and enjoy the social aspect of the game.

BTW, it is unfortunate but really you do not get to have a fun chat with many people now..

BLOSSOM_KING.png

A new member; f2p for 4+ years

Seldom get online due to in real life business

Always support f2p improvements

The demographics is basically similar to the past, except that imo efficiency is what is being over-exaggerated.

People really need to learn how to relax a bit and enjoy the social aspect of the game.

BTW, it is unfortunate but really you do not get to have a fun chat with many people now..

Just letting you know, you can still be efficient and enjoy the social part of the game. I talk in my clan while I play, and I'd get bored of the game without that ability to talk to them.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

It's about finding the right balance for you. If you don't want to play efficiently; we're not running for the Olympics... no-one worth spending any time over is going to judge you for it. Just don't go away thinking that that makes you 'better' than them, and vice versa. Likewise if you'd rather be more socially involved, there's a whole number of clans that take people for a whole variety of events. Plus it's RPG, with many different kinds of people playing it, each with their own interests and limits on how much time they can contribute, so that's how it should be like. Clan X isn't going to be most people's cup of tea, and neither is Clan Y.

In these threads I often find people will make of the RS community what they themselves want to believe about it. If you want to burst an artery over how other people play the game, I think you're probably playing for the wrong reasons in the first place. Play for yourself, and what you enjoy. It's not that difficult.

There are always going to be immature idiots who's subconcious goal is to ruin the play experience of other people. there have always been players who simply don't take the time to learn the game. Players who want to sound good so they make stuff up and spout false facts about the game.

But there are plenty of people who are a joy to talk to in this game, and who are willing to help. Plenty of clans that are dedicated to having fun of all kinds of varieties. I have public chat on, and private chat on. Generally speaking I don't run into too many immature people. I say hello a lot at slayer tasks, and get to have decent conversations. it just depends on how hard you look.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

This is strange. My membership ran out today but I'm still on the HS...

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

I may be an absolute naive idiot, but in watching my brother play, and comparing it to when I first starteds playing 7 years ago, I have to say that it has changed for the worse.

Although the player base was artificially high due to the botting, I think it's apparent Jagex is having issues maintaining membership issues. At this point it seems as if any member is better than none, and they are catering to the really young crowd. The playerbase now seems to be for the most part a young, naive, annoying as hell group of people.

I know there are certainly groups of good people, but overall it's just sort of shitty, from what I can tell.

Of course this is not to say that it was ever great.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

This is strange. My membership ran out today but I'm still on the HS...

You don't get removed until two weeks after your membership expires.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I may be an absolute naive idiot, but in watching my brother play, and comparing it to when I first starteds playing 7 years ago, I have to say that it has changed for the worse.

Although the player base was artificially high due to the botting, I think it's apparent Jagex is having issues maintaining membership issues. At this point it seems as if any member is better than none, and they are catering to the really young crowd. The playerbase now seems to be for the most part a young, naive, annoying as hell group of people.

I know there are certainly groups of good people, but overall it's just sort of shitty, from what I can tell.

Of course this is not to say that it was ever great.

I remember people complaining about the miniclip kids.

TBH I think the playerbase is more or less the same as it ever was, and it's just us growing older. With the possible exception of early RSC, when everyone knew everyone else (Or so they tell me, I wasn't around then).

Castle of Zoltar

There's likely a lot of idealism about RSC. You hear some fairy tales and you'd be mistaken for thinking everyone stopped for tea and biscuits as soon as somebody else logged in. I'm sure it also had its fair share of idiots just like everything else does. People probably did a better job of ignoring them though, which they don't do now. I think that's the real problem with the RS community; the constant one-upmanship.

"My skills are better than yours"

"My clan is better than yours"

"My setup/method is better than yours"

"Tip.It is better than other fansites"

"RSOF is full of morons"

"Anti-efficiency players... does it get any worse?"

It's not just confined to Tip.It, it's almost everywhere you look in RuneScape. I've done it occasionally, but it is a horrible reflection on a community where the only objective measure of success is the hiscores table.

Exactly, I hate the "I have better levels than you" thing this game has pretty bad now. If a noob manages to get a fishing level and is happy about it, he will say in quickchat: "My level in Fishing is 32." only to find 10 messages from "pros" who say "My level in Fishing is insert number higher than 32 here."

It's really dumb imo :(

Amonitas.png

Quest cape since 11th July 99 Farming 4th February 99 Cooking 31st August

Exactly, I hate the "I have better levels than you" thing this game has pretty bad now. If a noob manages to get a fishing level and is happy about it, he will say in quickchat: "My level in Fishing is 32." only to find 10 messages from "pros" who say "My level in Fishing is insert number higher than 32 here."

It's really dumb imo :(

Yes. I hate when this happens, so I'm reluctant to qc my levels when they ask back. :( It really depends on your group of friends though. In my clan we tend not to have these "level" wars.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014