Powering Through Levels Vs Longevity

Erewhon2

Do you "power" to 99?

Definitely not. My first (and currently only) 99 I got for an event for the celebration of 100 weeks of Penguins. I had about 1 and a half months I think to train thieving and I really enjoyed it. In fact, I'll probably go back to some more Pyramid plunder...but I'd want to get 75 rc for the sceptre of the gods :/

Since then, only once have I thought about getting a 99, in this case magic. Again for an event, Runefest :P. I stopped at 96 because what I really wanted(spellbook swap) I did have, and I was bored with training. I normally don't train my skills very much, just occasionally for a quest or if I feel like it. Most often I'll just be doing quests when I have one to do, or help with penguins :D

Do you vary your gameplay?

If it comes to training skills, then yes. I can't keep training one skill, it's not possible for me.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no, I do mix around my skilling until I find a skill that is in the moment. If the skills is right place right time I will continuously train that skill until I'm bored. I did that with thieving. Did 1-2 levels then decided I needed food, fished 3k lobbies and cooked them then started thieving at level 63, I stopped training at just over 31M exp. This happened with cook when I was 30M exp, started cooking one day then reach 100M exp and got bored and stopped. Same with fish, level 83 to 17M exp was continuous until I got bored. I grinded 99 hunter though, and 99 prayer I guess.... level 70-99 continuous.

Depends on the skill really.

Right now I started slaying, started @101 cb and now 105 cb and not bored yet.

TwoDimension.png

380th to 200,000,000 Cook.

I power through skills on one day, on others I just play minigames and have some fun. That is my usual pattern, set goal, train hard, then when I am bored I go play some minigames. Sometimes though when I am having fun I can play minigames all day long. My favourite minigames are mostly the pvp kind, such as Stealing Creation and Great Orb Project, though I do like Barbarian Assault as well.

My game play varies all the time. Sometimes I power-level. Sometimes I help friends power-level. Sometimes I just socialize.

I have a busy life. Im a mom with three teenagers (and an empty fridge), a husband, a job, and a house to upkeep. I am keen about maintaining my own personal fitness. I dont have a lot of time to play. When I do play, and I want to power level, I use the most efficient means to do it. I also encourage other people who likewise have limited playing time to do the same. If they listen to me, great. If they dont, meh.

Lately, I am still in recovery mode from my most recent bout with power leveling: 99 Range, 99 Agility and 99 Summoning all of which I achieved through Effigyscape. Since then, Ive been merely playing for the joy of it, and enjoying the company of my friends.

Back in 2001, when I first discovered this game (through my children), I was struck then by the more social aspects of the game. At that time, I was a single mom, going through a brutal separation from which I am still recovering financially and I had three small children at home. I had no social life available to me. Runescape offered me the chance to have evenings out with friends after the kids had all gone to bed, without having to leave the house.

Even now, years later, it provides me with that social link that I otherwise dont have the time for. I run a Clan with my friends, many of whom I have known for years, and I spend a few hours each night chatting with them to pass the time. The Clan itself has taken on a life of its own. Ive a lot of people wanting my help and, these days, it seems that I spend more of my on-line time helping people understand game play, than I do working towards my own goals. Not that I mid that, but that is where my game play has gone to recently.

When do I next plan to power-level? I dunno. But when I do, chances are I will choose to Effigyscape those too, or an efficient means to achieve my goal. But not right now.

nyuseg.png

I never really have been a power leveller. While I can understand why some might be for myself it just doesn't work. I enjoy the adventure and progression more then actually being able to say that my level is 99. I find a fair chunk of people push hard for a 99 then don't ever touch it again. Meh. I also set goals for myself that slow down my levelling by far some time. I remember getting pretty much all 99 off catching sharks in the fishing guild. Took ages but I met some awesome people in that time. I also cut/burnt (almost all, only can recall from low 70s) all my own willows for 99fm.

I do understand this makes no difference to someone looking at the high scores but that doesn't matter to me, as it makes a difference to myself.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

I'm not a big fan of 99's, so I don't train to get them. I'd rather just do what I feel like, or set myself small goals of a level or two instead of powering through a skill so that I start to dislike it instead of eating it in small portions.

That being said: If I train a skill I usually do an efficient method. Sometimes the clickier ones are fun, and sometimes I afk. (for example, I used double line pyrelord firemaking to 92, but when woodcutting, I just cut and deposit teaks at ape atoll, instead of alching/dropping/pine splitting)

I train every skill every week (well besides dungeoneering). I also make sure to do at least one quest (but usually more) each week.

The only actual xp goal I set for myself is I try to do 1 mil total xp each week.

Sounds like you're a 'system's person, a logical and systematic approach to your game play. I can be a bit over the top about trying to keep all my skills fairly level but I'm not as organised as you :-D

I dont keep my skills equal. I have skills ranging from lvl 53 to lvl 80 right now. (again except dung which is 41). Some skills I only do long enough to get the 2 strange rocks for the week (agilty, hunter etc). My highest skill is woodcutting and I only train that with evil trees and the cutting afterwards without banking reward.

Guest jrhairychest

@Erewhon2 - Judging by the first page of responses its obvious some didnt read the initial post fully and to be honest I expect better responses than downright rude comments from tipit staff like this:

Perhaps to establish that this topic is, in fact, asking for a useless answer?

I personally dont power to 99. I have 99s Thieving, agility and crafting. Each one was done with a fun element in mind. Thieving because it helped me make a considerable amount of cash through master farmers. Agility because agility arena was so fun to be in, particularly with the group I was with. Crafting was done simply becauseI could. I stole a considerable amount of gems from rogues den safes linking the skill of thieving to crafting.

I do prefer the wider aspects of the game rather than just power my way through. I enjoy taking my time and enjoying the game rather than stress myself trying to achieve a 99 that I would come to hate. I completely agree that the longevity of the game is something to consider. I wouldnt want to power through 99s then feel Id missed something because I hadnt taken the time out to enjoy what I was doing. Im in no hurry and I dont want to ruin the game for myself.

99 capes have their place in the game but I guess its how the individual defines that cape for themselves. This is quite an interesting response:

Lately, I am still in recovery mode from my most recent bout with power leveling: 99 Range, 99 Agility and 99 Summoning all of which I achieved through Effigyscape. Since then, Ive been merely playing for the joy of it, and enjoying the company of my friends.

Im not sure why anyone would power through anything that they didnt really enjoy just for the sake of the 99. Just my opinion.

I do tend to power through 99's. With some skills I set lower goals (85, 90, etc). However the fact remains that when training a skill I've always just focused on the one skill until I reach the self-set goal. I do not necessarily use the fastest methods either, for example cutting yew to 99 woodcutting, so efficiency is not in a big factor in my mind. I am content to inch towards in whenever I am logged in essentially. Some people prefer to hop from skill to skill to mix it up, I have chosen an alternate play style.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Im not sure why anyone would power through anything that they didnt really enjoy just for the sake of the 99. Just my opinion.

Because they want to. Which is why users like Quyenax have stated that, although it's a well worded topic, it doesn't have much to toss back and forth that hasn't already been distilled down. (Or, if you really want to call it rude, go ahead.) Maybe suited better for a times article, but you get the picture.

For the sake of something a mite different, powering through Summoning was the name of the game when it was first released. And in the first week it got a lot of hate against it, instead of obvious love it deserved even without batch 2 and reworks weren't out at that time. I still remember seeing people slayer dart giant rock crabs in the chaos tunnels just to get to the 60s. In that week, billions must've been spent just to gain a measly 1mil exp all for the sake of power-leveling. And that was despite the fact that Jagex came out directly and said, "This is not a skill you will be able to train fast." The skill was never really trained the way they set it up to be, in those early days. It's just wildly impractical to only craft the pouches you'd use to get your levels. If people had, there would be hardly any 99 summoners out there. But eventually people came to their senses and abandoned the rush-frenzy and went back to their day-to-day tasks. I still think that was a hilarious example of how crazily obsessed we can become with power-leveling.

hzvjpwS.gif

Guest jrhairychest

Because they want to. Which is why users like Quyenax have stated that, although it's a well worded topic, it doesn't have much to toss back and forth that hasn't already been distilled down. (Or, if you really want to call it rude, go ahead.) Maybe suited better for a times article, but you get the picture.

For the sake of something a mite different, powering through Summoning was the name of the game when it was first released. And in the first week it got a lot of hate against it, instead of obvious love it deserved even without batch 2 and reworks weren't out at that time. I still remember seeing people slayer dart giant rock crabs in the chaos tunnels just to get to the 60s. In that week, billions must've been spent just to gain a measly 1mil exp all for the sake of power-leveling. And that was despite the fact that Jagex came out directly and said, "This is not a skill you will be able to train fast." The skill was never really trained the way they set it up to be, in those early days. It's just wildly impractical to only craft the pouches you'd use to get your levels. If people had, there would be hardly any 99 summoners out there. But eventually people came to their senses and abandoned the rush-frenzy and went back to their day-to-day tasks. I still think that was a hilarious example of how crazily obsessed we can become with power-leveling.

No, I don't agree with your first paragraph. Longevity hasn't really been discussed as a topic in that big a detail. Powering through a skill while not enjoying it pretty much defeats the purpose of the game - the entertainment factor. Why play RS and purposley and continuously subject ones self to aspects that are clearly not being enjoyed? Because they want to? :huh: And yes, the author was treated quite rudely. Perhaps a little more professionalism?

Your summoning overview clearly illustrates the community does have an obsession with power levelling. To what end?

Your summoning overview clearly illustrates the community does have an obsession with power levelling. To what end?

For the rewards, of course. Why would a hypothetical player just make the (low level) pouches they need when they have the amount of charms for 68, 88, or 94? You could probably say that as they add more rewards for leveling skills to the 90s, the more demand there will be for powerleveling strategies. Look at the price of dragon bones/herbs before and after the curses/extreme pots updates, for example. And if they hate the skill, they'll want the fastest or the least aggravating method of training it so they'll be done as soon as possible/with minimal effort.

Plus, in the early days of a skill, people always are in a hurry to be the first to reach 99. If there's a really useful benefit to training, they'll be going for that as well.

I don't like grinding because it makes me get bored too easily. I only either slay or dungeoneer.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

I’m not sure why anyone would power through anything that they didn’t really enjoy just for the sake of the 99. Just my opinion.

There is the enjoyment of the method (e.g. people like running laps on agility courses) and the enjoyment of the achievement (e.g. people like being 99 agility) and the enjoyment of the status those bring. e.g. people like being known as someone to use method x (depending on the community they are in, it could be about appearing efficient or appearing DIY or something) and people like being known as 'the person with 99 agility/200m slayer' and whatnot.

So basically, the reasons for powering through a skill you do not enjoy training leaves the other three reasons: fun to achieve the goal, fun to be seen with the achieved goal, and fun to be seen training towards the goal. If you feel none of these enjoyments then you will not power through a skill (ignoring the possibility that you are physically forced).

It's interesting to note that powering through a skill all the way to 99 is notoiriously inefficient :P. The topic title captures it well, but then the OP asks a different question (levels vs. 99s).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I grind.

I can spend months on end standing in Edgeville and not gain and single Xp, and then it can click and I can have the sudden urge to train a particular skill.

Did it with Herblore in March, got 99. Clicks and I can spend weeks at Stealing Creations, for no reason, and suddenly stop. Or spend weeks at Clan Wars.

Clicked at 50 farming a few weeks back, currently level 96. Weird.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I'll try to answer the original posit directly.

The only skill I recall "powering" would be Fishing, and that made it all the way to 99. It was a painful 4 months, but I did it because I wanted to have the wealth (Rocktail were a pretty good price). I enjoyed it, not because I enjoyed the skill, but I enjoyed talking to the people that were online; it made the time fly by.

I varied my gameplay as to avoid stagnation and boredom, but to a degree. There were times when a certain period would be designated as "Skill X Month", or "Skill X as-long-as-I-can-stand-it". The variation would be to break away from what I felt was repetitive and enjoy myself.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I play this game as efficient (in terms of time-wastement) as I can. I am in a rush constantly, I don't play minigames, parties for a 99 by friends are a waste of time, etc.

I get my enjoyment out of results more than out of playing itself. Total levels is all that matters, and that means I gotta do some skills I wouldn't be doing if I simply played this game to 'fill up my time'.

However, time is something we must cherish and value. Therefore I set myself the goal for the Comp cape, quit after. Only after this achievement I will be satisfied and I'll have the inner calmness to devote my time on something else.

And you are right, after the introduction of skillcapes getting a 99 became so much more important to most of us. I would rather have a lv70-based character than a couple of 99's and shitty stats. I never was and still ain't a fan of the skillcape, but what can you do?

I agree with that, hence my questions to see why people have done or do it and whether they have considered the longevity of the game by including game variance.

It's interesting to note that powering through a skill all the way to 99 is notoiriously inefficient :P. The topic title captures it well, but then the OP asks a different question (levels vs. 99s).

My point was about why people head so quickly for 99, what about varying game play and thinking about the longevity of RS for them as individuals? I believe I was fairly clear, hopefully people read the topic title and the post, I don't believe I have mentioned anywhere about levels vs 99's, not sure where you got that from...see excerpt below:

Do you power to 99? If so why?

Do you vary your game play? If so how?

My concern is that many players generally appear unable to consider the game outside of achieving 99 in skills.....Runescape was designed for longevity and that perception seems to have been lost somewhere along the way... Is getting 99 the most important thing to you?

I will never, ever max because I hate most skills.

What about using effigies to train the skills you hate? :unsure:

Obtaurian made me laugh with that! I gather you have a very different style of game. I think thats a good idea Blyaunte, certainly for the skill i dislike most I use tears at the moment.

I play this game as efficient (in terms of time-wastement) as I can. I am in a rush constantly, I don't play minigames, parties for a 99 by friends are a waste of time, etc.

I get my enjoyment out of results more than out of playing itself. Total levels is all that matters, and that means I gotta do some skills I wouldn't be doing if I simply played this game to 'fill up my time'.

However, time is something we must cherish and value. Therefore I set myself the goal for the Comp cape, quit after. Only after this achievement I will be satisfied and I'll have the inner calmness to devote my time on something else.

And you are right, after the introduction of skillcapes getting a 99 became so much more important to most of us. I would rather have a lv70-based character than a couple of 99's and shitty stats. I never was and still ain't a fan of the skillcape, but what can you do?

Good stuff, although what will you do when you reach max total level? Will you just play the game in a different way?

35cq0q9.png