Sinkhan

PPS vs SoL

Just used PPS at Mithrils,works quite well imo. Only way to decide is to try yourself though. I would say that it's better than sol and Fsurge, but don't quote me on that.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

To add to the above, with my limited testing, at 99 Magic is seems like a noticable increase in DPS over Fire Surge. I also tried it against Steels, and it seemed to me to be not too much lower DPS than a rapier there, though I was Ovling and I'm not 100% sure the guy I was comparing too was praying - I was killing faster than him though. I was using basic mage gear (ahrims, arc stream, slayer helm etc).

I've been using PPS at TDs quite a bit.

It's cheaper then range, requires no autocast switch, and is higher DPS then range.

Plus, introducing magic with a Steel Titan means almost constant specs.

It's also better then fire surge against Rex, and as stated previously, requires no autocast switch.

By autocast switch I mean you just equip the staff and GO. While I have little data to support this claim, I say it's the second best magic DPS in the game (under SoA).

It hits very nicely on mithrils. However, being sub-99 myself, the low xp of the PPS is kind of a turnoff. So at least for me, it's more of a camping staff than a training staff.

They're a fairly common drop and aren't they already under 1.5M?

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

So the main things SoL still has going for it is fire surge on glacors/ice strykes, rune saving w/ battlerobes, and the spec? Is that about right?

Fire surge is significantly better mage xp/hr than PPS.

podv4.png

Aside from the exp difference, rune saving and certain npcs that are weak to fire spells, PPS is better in all other situations in terms of dps (after SOA of course), plus it is the cheapest by far.

Angelic_Whim.png

Aside from the exp difference, rune saving and certain npcs that are weak to fire spells, PPS is better in all other situations in terms of dps (after SOA of course), plus it is the cheapest by far.

That's the tradeoff. PPS is a good weapon for camping (or any activity where mage XP is NOT a primary goal) as it costs very little for the damage it does. But if mage XP is the goal, then it is better to spend the runes and use SOL, despite doing less damage.

Damagewise, PPS is only beaten during incidences where:

1. Fire surge is used against Ice Strykewyrms or Glacors

2. Charged arena spells is used before hitting 96 magic

3. Using the highest available Ancient magic spell. At level 99, only unboosted Ice Barrage using Chaotic staff is better. Any other scenario PPS is better. Even Miasmic barrage doesn't do as much damage as PPS.

4. In DPS compared to Storm of Armadyl (marginally better w/o Armadyl Battlestaff, decisively better with it)

5. You are Bursting or Barraging multiple creatures at once.

All of the above options are way ahead of PPS in terms cost per damage. The only thing that could come close to it is when you are Bursting/barraging multiple targets (IE cost spread across all monsters), otherwise PPS is the best staff economy wise, and of the highest hitting at any given magic level.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

PPS is best unless you use multi-target spells on multiple targets. If you need freeze and dps, use pps + ice barrage, since pps doesn't require a spellbook.

@Above: charged arena spells require void mace/god staves so sol is out anyway.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I should probably get one of these then. Don't have anywhere near enough money to maintain SoA and since PPS seems to be effective against metals and I'm not in a rush for mage xp, sounds like the perfect weapon for maging.

Hopefully it'll drop a little more before I purchase then :P

It drops rather commonly from the Beasts, the I'd actually only be worried about is the Fire Runes. They are not easy to buy off the GE right now, and the cost of the fire runes per shot surpassed that of the spores, so unless the fire rune prices drop, the cost of the staves won't drop very much in the near future. (It took me 3-4 days to get 200k fire runes at 20 each, I put in an order of 250k, rest still haven't been delivered) The money you'd make casting the 3000 shots would easily cover any price drops. Besides, it will be hard to drop the price of the staff when the value of the ammo surpasses that of the stick.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Just for clarification how is mage xp for pps calculated? Is it like melee/range xp? or is it like mage without the base xp?

2496 total achieved June 30, 2013

It drops rather commonly from the Beasts, the I'd actually only be worried about is the Fire Runes. They are not easy to buy off the GE right now, and the cost of the fire runes per shot surpassed that of the spores, so unless the fire rune prices drop, the cost of the staves won't drop very much in the near future. (It took me 3-4 days to get 200k fire runes at 20 each, I put in an order of 250k, rest still haven't been delivered) The money you'd make casting the 3000 shots would easily cover any price drops. Besides, it will be hard to drop the price of the staff when the value of the ammo surpasses that of the stick.

Well I have a stock of 19k fire runes, so I'll get a good run out of it before I'll need more. I could also do something silly and unblock fire giants or something from slayer. My primary use for the staff will be metals and maybe barrows.

I'm not really interested in buying the staff itself, but the stick so I can charge it myself.

sense you implied you thought the stick was 2.5m..

afaik (2 days old) its currently going for 400-500k GE, staff is ~1m.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png