Careers

Guest Rob

Because most of OT is fairly young, I imagine most of us are either just getting into our careers, or just starting to decide what we want to do in life.

So, go on and discuss all that. Education, careers, salaries, whatever you will. I'll post my own career plans in a bit; I don't want to post it in the OP so that the thread revolves around my own plans.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to graduate next fall with a B.A. in History. I plan on going on to grad school for my Masters and Doctorate which I will then turn into a professorial job :shades:

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

i doubt anyone's life or career proceeds in a straight line

no one really knows what they want to do with absolute certainty

kids; just dont be pressured into doing something on someone else's terms.

:thumbup:

develop a strong work ethic and your career will follow - my 10 cents

Studying for my master's in psychology. Minoring in Business Management as a fall back in case being a doctor starts to suck. 3 semesters down, 17 to go -.-

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

One more semester of high school, then I'm off to college to get my Masters in Architecture, along with a likely minor in Construction Management. Hopefully I'll be able to move back to my little Alaskan hometown and find a job here. Get a decent house, learn to fly, buy a plane, and start a family if the opportunity presents itself. Retire. Die.

It all sounds so simple. :wall:

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

^ humans will probably reverse aging within the century if certain conditions are met. That, among other things, might make things less simple :P.

For me, I want to go straight to all the amazing habitable planets that are out there. and explore them and everything. but first you have to slow down aging, and make sure humanity is stable, and all those things.

(those aren't really my ambitions. but they could easily be someone's).

Personally, I want to get some sort of degree with the arts because it's the one thing I am talented at yet able to enjoy it. Sadly, whenever I mentioned I want to be an artist, my counselor basically brushed my goal off as a joke and ceased taking me seriously. What's worse is how the *only* person I can ask for on advice on how I could properly fund for my career path without confusing the hell out of me (I am terrible with money and the language terms used, sue me) is my older sister, who I rarely get to see. Lately, I've been thinking of trying again to construct my art portfolio once more without asking anybody for help since they didn't think I was worth it for the goal I want.

Even though art is essentially dying to most people, I don't exactly have much on the table to choose.

I have an apprenticeship with a gov owned electricity entity who owns the supply network. I get rotated through all the different departments which keeps things interesting. Overhead, underground, substations, rapid response etc...

I get called out to emergency jobs regularly which also keeps things fresh. They are paying me to study electrical engineering part time in a bit over a year. Tradesmen get paid like engineers in aus and it's a good job so I'm set anyway, I'm just doing the study out of interest, and in case I get sick of the tools.

I'm not quite sure where I will go. Rapid response seems good, but so does doing transmission work off of helicopters. I guess I will probably end up in engineering when I get older in any case.

Doing Gen. Science in my first year right now. Hoping to work something out with Environmental science/ planetary science/ Geology in the future.

If those don't work out, I would want to do something related to culinary.

And it THAT doesn't work out, I'm gonna become a professional poker player.

And if all else fails, I'm starting a band.

Staurolite.png

Currently an Environmental Science major, thinking about Chemical Engineering since I'm interested in Biofuels. We'll see though, I don't have the affinity for math that an engineer should have. Language is more my strong point, which is unfortunate since I have no interest in anything like that.

Of course, if I went with what I really wanted to do I would be studying film, but I know I probably won't get anywhere with that, so it's going to have to take a backseat to a career and maybe I can revive it as a hobby later on.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

In my final year of BA degree in english literature with creative writing. Want to be an author, in the mean time I'll probably look at something in publishing/editting/advertsing kinda industries that put my talents to use.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I thought I had an idea what I wanted to do, spent a year at University doing it which made me realise I didn't like it at all. Fast forward nearly two years and I'm working a crap job with no real idea what I want to do with myself.

Going travelling next year which is something I've wanted to do for a while. Maybe it'll give me some inspiration on what I'd like to do, broaden the mind a bit. In any case, it's better than staying where I am now.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I myself intend to get a degree in commerce, and then get my masters in marketing. I have dreams of owning my own successful business one day, so that should help me along.

Personally, I want to get some sort of degree with the arts because it's the one thing I am talented at yet able to enjoy it. Sadly, whenever I mentioned I want to be an artist, my counselor basically brushed my goal off as a joke and ceased taking me seriously. What's worse is how the *only* person I can ask for on advice on how I could properly fund for my career path without confusing the hell out of me (I am terrible with money and the language terms used, sue me) is my older sister, who I rarely get to see. Lately, I've been thinking of trying again to construct my art portfolio once more without asking anybody for help since they didn't think I was worth it for the goal I want.

Even though art is essentially dying to most people, I don't exactly have much on the table to choose.

There is still demand for a good artist. I would suggest learning some more technical art skills (photoshop, or illistrator), but definitely work on an art portfolio. I don't think you should write it off. If you are talented there is an entire world with industries who need good artists. As far as finances go, perhaps you have to do a bit of work yourself. That may include exploring bigger cities where artistic talent is needed. Maybe contact some colleges to see what kind of financial aid you can get (I am not sure what country you are from, but in the U.S. you can get some decent loans and scholarships to take care of most of what you need provided you have decent grades). Worst case scenario you work a job while attending college to support yourself.

jpegsigtest.jpg

No "plans" for my life, I take it as it comes. Currently working in retail management and have another job in a pub. I never went to college after school, had two jobs for my last two years of school. I do like my work, but as said, I take it as it comes. Anything could happen, but it does have a promising end if I stick with it considering the company that it is and the contacts that I have.

After all, it's not about what you know in life, it's about who you know. The best experience one can get to set themselves up is by getting out there and doing it, reading about it isn't living it! I lost two friends growing up in school, one to an illness and the other to an motorbike accident. Makes you realise there's no point in putting yourself through unnecessary stress and worry because at the end of the day, you never know where it can take you or what can happen. Life's too short, you need to live it. Sitting in a room studying or listening to some pedantic prick that things they know it all never really was my thing. So yeah, that's where I'm at with regards to a career!

I wish all of you the best, and hopefully you achieve what you want to achieve and get the most out of your education. :thumbup:

RIP Michaelangelopolous

So far, I'm heading for a law degree at University. God knows my grades deserve it.

You always reminded me of a passionate lawyer.

Art dying? It's merely evolving - more application is needed for it to be useful to society. All those historic painters we read about were esteemed for their simple murals because they weren't simple at all during that time. They were crossing new territory and it excited people, sparking the feeling of romanticism. You just need to find your place.

Currently an Environmental Science major, thinking about Chemical Engineering since I'm interested in Biofuels. We'll see though, I don't have the affinity for math that an engineer should have.

chem eng is not so much actual laboratory chemisty so much as it's plant and process design, thermodynamics and energy transfer w/ systems

you will breathe eat and shit math no matter what ____ engineering you pick

I'm in a similar situation

chem eng is not so much actual laboratory chemisty so much as it's plant and process design, thermodynamics and energy transfer w/ systems

you will breathe eat and shit math no matter what ____ engineering you pick

This basically. My girlfriend is in her 4 year next semester and doesn't do much dedicated chemistry. Chem eng grads generally go into process engineering and heat transfer. It's not as hard to grasp as electrical, aero etc but has a massive workload compared to the others. Similar with mech.

If you want to be an engineer but lack the motivation/time/whatever for real engineering you could always just do civil.

I thought I had an idea what I wanted to do, spent a year at University doing it which made me realise I didn't like it at all. Fast forward nearly two years and I'm working a crap job with no real idea what I want to do with myself.

Going travelling next year which is something I've wanted to do for a while. Maybe it'll give me some inspiration on what I'd like to do, broaden the mind a bit. In any case, it's better than staying where I am now.

I've always wanted to travel to get inspiration; but on mediocre hours, a messy economy (although nothing like Spain atm) and the amount of money I'd burn, I simply cant afford it.

Apparently Teraching is only 2-3 Days of Uni a week, the downside is the essays. After years of writing so much shit etc personally, I think I can handle it. Just gotta ring on Mon and ask EXACTLY what I need to do to enroll.

Popoto.~<3

There is still demand for a good artist. I would suggest learning some more technical art skills (photoshop, or illistrator), but definitely work on an art portfolio. I don't think you should write it off. If you are talented there is an entire world with industries who need good artists. As far as finances go, perhaps you have to do a bit of work yourself. That may include exploring bigger cities where artistic talent is needed. Maybe contact some colleges to see what kind of financial aid you can get (I am not sure what country you are from, but in the U.S. you can get some decent loans and scholarships to take care of most of what you need provided you have decent grades). Worst case scenario you work a job while attending college to support yourself.

Personally, my only concern is getting into digital art to begin with since every computer I own was for the family, meaning it wasn't suited for an artistic. I am thinking of doing what my sister did and wait it for a few years to prepare myself (although she chose to marry her high school boyfriend and have three children) while saving up for new media to work with. My talent is mainly with creativity and thinking up ideas.

As for exploring cities, I am an hour's drive from one with a really good art college. Their founder actually visited my class to promote her school two to three times in high school, which got me to think about it.