Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Careers

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Range_This11
[ Display Name History ]

Range_This11

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
People have been saying "art is dying" for hundreds of years. Don't listen to them.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

i_love_burritos
[ Display Name History ]

i_love_burritos

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,668 posts

Currently an Environmental Science major, thinking about Chemical Engineering since I'm interested in Biofuels. We'll see though, I don't have the affinity for math that an engineer should have.

chem eng is not so much actual laboratory chemisty so much as it's plant and process design, thermodynamics and energy transfer w/ systems

you will breathe eat and shit math no matter what ____ engineering you pick

I'm in a similar situation

Iamdan
[ Display Name History ]

Iamdan

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,417 posts

chem eng is not so much actual laboratory chemisty so much as it's plant and process design, thermodynamics and energy transfer w/ systems

you will breathe eat and shit math no matter what ____ engineering you pick

This basically. My girlfriend is in her 4 year next semester and doesn't do much dedicated chemistry. Chem eng grads generally go into process engineering and heat transfer. It's not as hard to grasp as electrical, aero etc but has a massive workload compared to the others. Similar with mech.

If you want to be an engineer but lack the motivation/time/whatever for real engineering you could always just do civil.

Tim
[ Display Name History ]

Tim

Eternal Session of Sound

• Members
  • 8,846 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I thought I had an idea what I wanted to do, spent a year at University doing it which made me realise I didn't like it at all. Fast forward nearly two years and I'm working a crap job with no real idea what I want to do with myself.

Going travelling next year which is something I've wanted to do for a while. Maybe it'll give me some inspiration on what I'd like to do, broaden the mind a bit. In any case, it's better than staying where I am now.

I've always wanted to travel to get inspiration; but on mediocre hours, a messy economy (although nothing like Spain atm) and the amount of money I'd burn, I simply cant afford it.

Apparently Teraching is only 2-3 Days of Uni a week, the downside is the essays. After years of writing so much shit etc personally, I think I can handle it. Just gotta ring on Mon and ask EXACTLY what I need to do to enroll.

Popoto.~<3

Kirschen
[ Display Name History ]

Kirschen

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,446 posts
  • RSN:Kirschen

Personally, I want to get some sort of degree with the arts because it's the one thing I am talented at yet able to enjoy it. Sadly, whenever I mentioned I want to be an artist, my counselor basically brushed my goal off as a joke and ceased taking me seriously. What's worse is how the *only* person I can ask for on advice on how I could properly fund for my career path without confusing the hell out of me (I am terrible with money and the language terms used, sue me) is my older sister, who I rarely get to see. Lately, I've been thinking of trying again to construct my art portfolio once more without asking anybody for help since they didn't think I was worth it for the goal I want.

Even though art is essentially dying to most people, I don't exactly have much on the table to choose.

There is still demand for a good artist. I would suggest learning some more technical art skills (photoshop, or illistrator), but definitely work on an art portfolio. I don't think you should write it off. If you are talented there is an entire world with industries who need good artists. As far as finances go, perhaps you have to do a bit of work yourself. That may include exploring bigger cities where artistic talent is needed. Maybe contact some colleges to see what kind of financial aid you can get (I am not sure what country you are from, but in the U.S. you can get some decent loans and scholarships to take care of most of what you need provided you have decent grades). Worst case scenario you work a job while attending college to support yourself.

Personally, my only concern is getting into digital art to begin with since every computer I own was for the family, meaning it wasn't suited for an artistic. I am thinking of doing what my sister did and wait it for a few years to prepare myself (although she chose to marry her high school boyfriend and have three children) while saving up for new media to work with. My talent is mainly with creativity and thinking up ideas.

As for exploring cities, I am an hour's drive from one with a really good art college. Their founder actually visited my class to promote her school two to three times in high school, which got me to think about it.

Sally
[ Display Name History ]

Sally

Website Crew

• Members
  • 910 posts
I'm currently studying Music, which has another year to go, but I'm not at Uni level yet (I don't want to start it yet). I also have studied Music Tech at the same level, which I passed with the highest grades, though I don't generally want to produce other people's music anymore.

I would like to go into composing music for Games, or becoming a professional musician or something along those lines. I cant quite make up my mind. If I could do both at the same time, I most definitely would.

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

Noxx
[ Display Name History ]

Noxx

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Nox
Not too long ago there was a similar thread, i think. If memories serves me right i said something along the lines of wanting to become a pilot. I didn't actually think i would manage to stick to it because i've never really found anything i was really passionate about.
After today i can safely say that i am passionate about flying. I actually got really upset when one of my flights got canceled due to bad weather.
I'm a few days away from getting both my JAA and FAA PPL (Private Pilot's License) after which ATPL groundschool will start. After a about 8 months of groundschool and 14 exams (assuming i pass them all) i'll be able to work at Qatar Airways as a 2nd Officer for a year to two years after which i'll be promoted to 1st Officer. Should be earning about $3500 - $4000 (tax free) a month with free housing (Like a 2 bedroom apartment) in a great area with a car allowance. When promoted to 1st Officer i could earn anywhere from $8000 - $10 000 a month (also tax free) with the house and car allowance as well. If i manage to work myself up to Captain i could probably earn double that.

But to be quite honest the money really isn't a big issue to me. I just can't imagine getting in a Boeing or Airbus for the first time. I can't imagine it ever getting boring.

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts
As of late (sophmore in highschool) my "plan" has been to study aerospace engineering. We'll see how that turns out. I might visit MIT this summer which is wear I would ideally go, but whether or not I can actually get in / get the financial aid I would need is a different matter.

TANSTAAFL

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Randox
  • Clan:All Friendly
Currently trying to get into Paramedicine. Aside from it being shift work (12 hour shifts that rotate between night and day), that's where I really want to be, and I am more than willing to put up with the shifts to get that kind of job. Around here, I could also work my way into working in Emerge at a hospital. All the hospitals around here, use paramedics as triage nurses instead of actual nurses.

In the meantime, I am studying Economics.

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Tripsis
I'm currently studying digital arts in university. I'd like to work in the game industry when I graduate. Right now I'm working as a freelance web designer on the side.
Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -
- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Oct_2003
[ Display Name History ]

Oct_2003

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 1 posts
Studying towards an IT degree with one year left. Hoping to get into web dev when I graduate.

xSxqPowerx
[ Display Name History ]

xSxqPowerx

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,043 posts
Currently in my 3rd year of a mechanical engineering degree.
I'm leaning towards doing a graduate degree in the same field after graduating, partially because I think it would be interesting and allow me to learn something at a very high level, and partially because I am in no hurry to go out and start working.

Studying is stressful sometimes, especially in the middle of exams like I am right now... but my strengths have always been in math/science and academics in general.

I plan on contacting some professors soon to see if any of them are willing to hire me as a research assistant over the summer so I can get some real experience and decide if doing grad/research work is what I want to do.

Downside: Seeing people update their status on facebook to "wooo finally made it through both of my exams, time for Christmas break!", while you still have 7 exams and 2 weeks to go.

Kaphias
[ Display Name History ]

Kaphias

FL380

• Members
  • 3,399 posts
  • RSN:Matt91493

I just can't imagine getting in a Boeing or Airbus for the first time. I can't imagine it ever getting boring.

Hahaha. Just remember, you don't fly an Airbus. It flies you.
Posted Image
8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08
4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010
Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Star.
[ Display Name History ]

Star.

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
I'm going to try for an ICT course in Uni, gotta apply in a week or so. I'm not sure what I wanna "be" but I'm just going with the flow.

Currently doing a Fast Track BTEC Level 3 ICT course, I will get two A-Levels equivalents at the end and that should be enough for the UCAS system thing.

Posted Image
☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

doomy
[ Display Name History ]

doomy

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,679 posts
I just did my first year on enegineering (first year is general, second year is with a speciality). I plan on doing computer engineering which I'm pretty sure I have the grades for (havn't been accepted yet though).
It's a mix of computer science and electrical engineering, which I think is very cool.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Ouchy
[ Display Name History ]

Ouchy

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,365 posts

I just did my first year on enegineering (first year is general, second year is with a speciality). I plan on doing computer engineering which I'm pretty sure I have the grades for (havn't been accepted yet though).
It's a mix of computer science and electrical engineering, which I think is very cool.

I'm planning on studying the same as you Doomy. Where are you studying it?

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

Posted Image

doomy
[ Display Name History ]

doomy

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,679 posts

I'm planning on studying the same as you Doomy. Where are you studying it?

Awesome man! Canterbury for me.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Danqazmlp
[ Display Name History ]

Danqazmlp

To Ass!

• Members
  • 8,492 posts
  • RSN:Danqazmlp
Currently in my third year of a History degree with the aim of progressing into teaching. Currently in the process of applying for positions for my PGCE (post-grad certificate in education) to teach which will take me a year. Just spend a few days in a school sitting in on classes and being the other side of the fence to what I'm used to. Looks very stressful but so rewarding.
Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!
Posted Image
Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

unkn0wnwarrior
[ Display Name History ]

unkn0wnwarrior

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,855 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Dougymc
  • RSN2:Doug M
Looks like I'm one of the few who have no plans. I'm currently working in a factory with no intentions of going to school, despite half of the people there and elsewhere trying to convince me to. I would go, but I can't think of a single thing I would want to study.

Zach
[ Display Name History ]

Zach

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
I'm currently on my internship as an Investment Banking Analyst at one of the big banks. I'll be a fourth year accounting undergraduate in the upcoming school year, minoring in psychology and political science. I'm studying for LSAT and GMAT as I may want to pursue part-time JD or MBA. Also, I might pursue a CPA designation. I've also obtained my project management certification. I want to either become a corporate lawyer, manager/executive or professor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users