Why does society dislike men having long hair?

DragnFly

Some of you who have been reading these forums several years might remember me making a topic discussing men having long hair (link here).

However, I thought a better topic would be... Why, exactly, does society have an issue with men having long hair?

There is certainly nothing new about men growing their hair long. It has happened all throughout history. In fact, even in ancient Greece, men where known to wear their hair long. Jesus is commonly depicted with long hair.

It can even harm our chances at employment. Could you imagine the uproar you would hear today if womens chances for employment where harmed by having short hair?

Women having short hair seems to have become socially acceptable. So why is men having theirs long still such an issue?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most men that I've seen with long hair either don't take care of it, or aren't suited for it. Usually I see one (or both) of the following:

• Extremely greasy. I suppose this results from not washing it often enough. It's extremely unattractive.

• Thinning at the ends. I only find long hair attractive (on both males and females) if the hair is consistently thick. If you have hair thinning out at the ends, I think it looks pretty bad when it's long.

I have very rarely seen a guy with long hair that doesn't fit in one (or both) of the above two categories. And if it does fit in either of the above, I find it extremely unattractive and it makes the person look messy or unclean.

The above factors can obviously be applied to women as well, but for some reason I see it way more often in men.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Hm, I would argue young females like some length in men's hair...considering what the "hot" men tend to have.

And why do employers want short hair? Because they got their heads in their asses from a WASP culture.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

n690913621_1428486_989835.jpg

das me. a few years ago. I didn't keep it very...tidy I guess you could say. ran a comb through it and washed it every day, but there were many many split ends. Thick as hell too. I guess guys with long hair are seen to be lazy [especially if it's not well kept hair] and apathetic toward acceptability. it's not really seen as "proper". Why? Well, to be honest it inhibits vision and movement a lot. Doing physical activities was deeply hindered by my hair, as I was always moving it out of my face and what not. I have moderately long hair now...

314300_10150370952338622_690913621_8291816_1787792186_n.jpg

and my boss hates it. But it doesn't inhibit anything, it's just an extra thing to take care of. Like any other status symbol, it's just a mentality society has built for itself. Kind of like how chicks with mo-hawks generally aren't lawyers.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Eh, [bleep] em and do what you want is my view.

Preconceived notions of guys maybe being 'slobs' and all the rest of it if they have long hair.

I had long hair for several years (really long), but a couple of years ago i cut it off. I think it's more difficult getting certain jobs if you have long hair, than short. And for me personally, my hair was starting to thinning and slowly the hairline was moving backwards.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I used to rock the long hair thing, then I realized it's just sloppy looking. Short hair is easier to take care of and looks a lot better. There are more women who like short hair than long hair anyways. Might as well increase my chances, right? :P

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

It usually looks......terrible. I'm not saying it always does, but more often than not it looks bad and the guy ends up looking better with short hair anyway. Not to mention most guys who do that don't know how or care to properly take care of it and it ends up greasy and gross or just being destroyed.

Sometimes my hair does grow too long, but I accept that since I work in healthcare, I need to keep it short and women need to keep theirs tied up. Long hair normally looks terrible on men though, simply because they don't know how to treat it, so it ends up being too greasy, or too wild. When you think of how much attention girls get from their mothers about how to look after their hair, boys don't receive that same mentoring when they're growing up.

Having a fringe and having long hair is completeley different. Anything longer than shoulder length on a guy is hard to pull off an usually just looks dirty.

I had quite long hair about 18 months ago - I did want to grow it even further but got bored of having to wash it and straighten in.

[spoiler=Long]2qntgk1.png

But had it all cut off and it was probably the best thing I did with my hair.

[spoiler=Short]18zswp.png

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

I pretty much concur with Tripsis. However, there is another category for me - Long, incredibly dry hair. Not frizzy, but so dry it looks like a person is wearing a desert in their hair.

To be honest, I just have a general dislike of people not taking *any* care with their appearances.

I didn't know it was an issue.

Though, usually men w/ long hair either look really unkempt or really feminine. Not many men w/ long hair can pull it off like Fabio does, lol.

I really wish women wouldn't cut their hair short. I ALWAYS prefer long hair on women. No shorter than the shoulders, PLEASE!

77yLQy8.png

Because manly men can't do manly things with their manly hair in their manly eyes. I know this from experience, since my hair is actually pretty ridiculously long at the moment. Which is mainly due to a combination of a pretty lax job and my crippling laziness, not because I like the look of it or anything. Though with long hair you need to keep it nice and clean and shiny. I don't know how people go around without washing their hair, you can almost feel the grease just looking at it. Ugh.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Long (right):

[hide]palace1.jpg[/hide]

Short (third from left):

[hide]386525_10150530197632526_504747525_10799963_2046305735_n.jpg[/hide]

I now have short hair but am happy to have it either way - I have no preference.

As long as it's properly kept (e.g. split ends cut out), it looks fine to me.

I know many guys who've even gone as far as to getting perms, which looks even better IMO.

"I don't care what other people think. I care what I think." - Charlie Sheen

I wouldn't say most of the guys with long hair don't take care of it properly. More like 50/50 maybe. To be entirely honest, not sure where I would count myself in - I wash it every day in the morning(unless I oversleep) and comb it somewhat regularly, but don't do much besides that. I personally prefer it over short hair and think it looks better, which is why I put up with the impracticability and the increased need for care.

What was mentioned, that guys, unlike girls, usually wouldn't get advice on how to treat their hair probably plays a large role.

I think it's because most women take the time to be sure their long hair looks good. Men don't.

Indeed.

I think obfuscator summed it up nicely. There are a few who do take care of their hair, but they're a minority in comparison to those who don't.

I wouldn't say most of the guys with long hair don't take care of it properly. More like 50/50 maybe. To be entirely honest, not sure where I would count myself in - I wash it every day in the morning(unless I oversleep) and comb it somewhat regularly, but don't do much besides that. I personally prefer it over short hair and think it looks better, which is why I put up with the impracticability and the increased need for care.

What was mentioned, that guys, unlike girls, usually wouldn't get advice on how to treat their hair probably plays a large role.

Even then this kind of proves my point. You wash it and comb it sure, but I think most women with long hair would tell you they do much more than that.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I'm not sure long hair is even meant to be washed every day since you're washing off all the oils. Mind, it's probably the oils which are making it too greasy.

Difficult stuff this hair business. I also think most guys keep it short because it avoids a lot of hassle.

While I agree with all the stuff about care, and for sure how you look is going to have an impact, I think there are also some accepted norms to consider.

I could go through the list of the odd jobs I do associate long hair on guys with, but I think this sums up society problem a lot more concisely. A rebel. When someone is sitting there doing interviews, and they see someone with long hair, they are going to think 'I don't want a rebel working for me'. At least, I think that's what my subconscious is saying.

There are certain looks that like it or not, say things about you, and hair styles can certainly be a part of that.

Used to have kinda long hair, not far off RPG's second pic length wise. Have short hair now, which I prefer. Looks nicer IMO and is easier to look after.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Mine looks fantastic. However it does get greasy really easily due to the type of hair I have. For example, I haven't showered yet today and it probably looks awful.

Then again, my hair isn't really long plus I'm not trying to look professional. If I was, my hair would be about 1/3 the length it is now and I wouldn't have a "beard".

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I think part of it is that doing anything beyond washing/combing is seen as "un-manly" for guys to do even if it's necessary to keep long hair looking decent. For instance, I have about shoulder-length hair but every time I consider getting a straightener my family says, "You don't need a straightener, it looks fine." If you spend the amount of time required for that kind of luxury, then it's feminine apparently. It's a mark of civilization also, since close cut hair is very hard to do without electric tools.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots