20-December-2011 Christmas Event

Cheefoo

The screen in the lobby reads 'Merry Christmas, Adventurer...'

Interesting...while I have no issue with a Christmas themed event, I'd like to believe that we have moved past the day and age when Merry Christmas is shouted blindly. At least where I'm from, it has nearly entirely been phased out for the more politically correct greeting of 'Happy Holidays'. Regardless, I'll check out the event and discuss my opinion now.

It doesn't matter that Jagex included it -- it's to be expected. It's no different than going to a majority Muslim country and having Muslims say Happy Ramadan or whatever to you. If you don't observe the occasion, tough luck: suck it up.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always get really offended when someone tells me to enjoy a holiday I don't celebrate. How rude of them. :---)

That said, as soon as I finished the event I saw some players enjoying the snowman battle mini-game with each other. Coupled with the Christmasy music it was actually pretty heartwarming. It's not often you see a sizable group of players just having some careless fun. In all I found this year's event enjoyable, albeit a little forgettable. But for what it is it did it's job well.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

Interesting...while I have no issue with a Christmas themed event, I'd like to believe that we have moved past the day and age when Merry Christmas is shouted blindly. At least where I'm from, it has nearly entirely been phased out for the more politically correct greeting of 'Happy Holidays'. Regardless, I'll check out the event and discuss my opinion now.

ktfqp.jpg

laparkachair-1.gif

I love that webcomic.

Yeah, if you're really upset/offended by someone saying 'Merry Christmas'-why would you be? This year's event was about a Christmas feast, the last year's event was entirely pagan centred (holly and hawthorn, the four elements, etc).

I'm not an efficienado.

Guess I never expected people to complain about Jagex hosting a Christmas event and how they word things. Seriously, that's just way over the top. Politically correct nonsense. Offended? Are you kidding me?

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Not the worst reaction, North Korea was threatening war over Christmas lights being put up on the boarder.

Back on topic: the snake is on the best looking pets they have ever released IMO.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

This makes me sad.

Are you actually serious? I can't believe how bad political correctness is these days. I don't condone any kind of racism or religious prejudice but wow.

I hate "political correctness" erasing merry christmas.

Yes not EVERYONE celebrates it, but most do even when its not part of their religion; heck Christmas itself barely has any real religious connections any more. And it doesn't discriminate or sideline them to say Merry Xmas, no more than it sidelines non-jewish to hear Happy Hanukkah etc. etc.

None of these terms are offensive or discriminator and the idea we need to say "Happy Holidays" to be fair is utter hogwash in my opinion. You can have a Happy whatever holiday you want and I'll gladly wish it you and share your mirth; but I want a Merry Xmas, so I'll darn well have one!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

This makes me sad.

Perhaps the Christmas Culture Wars are a uniquely American phenomenon.

FWIW, I say Happy Holidays and let people take that in whatever way they want it, whether they decorate trees, light חַנֻכִּיָּה‎ or kinaras or what have you.

I did not do the event, but I walked around and looked at the decorations scattered around. I thought they were nicely done and in good taste.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

This makes me sad.

Perhaps the Christmas Culture Wars are a uniquely American phenomenon.

FWIW, I say Happy Holidays and let people take that in whatever way they want it, whether they decorate trees, light חַנֻכִּיָּה‎ or kinaras or what have you.

I did not do the event, but I walked around and looked at the decorations scattered around. I thought they were nicely done and in good taste.

It's an odd polarity of the Americans often ludicrously illogical ideals.

Many seem to argue endless for 'Happy Holidays' to be inclusive and not promote Christianity over the rest; yet equally there's a whole parade of anti-gay presidential candidates who base their argument on American being a Christian, non-secular Nation.

It's like WTF how you can you promote a secular-style inclusiveness of using only 'Happy Holidays' yet equally argue you are not a secular nation and thus gay marriage is wrong. (In spite of the fact many religious groups fully support gay marriage and as many comedians have pointed out "marriage" is hardly a sacred ordeal any more with divorce rates etc.)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

As interesting as this debate is, I think we're getting a little off topic :P Jagex chose Merry Christmas because in Britain the politically correct Happy Holidays just isn't as popular - nor do many brits have a problem with it. This could make an interesting topic in OT, though ;)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Away from this whole political correctness thing (Which I agree is a bit overblown but you can see my thoughts on that below) I really enjoyed the event. I played that snowman minigame for well over an hour, I loved switching between snowballs and the wand, and I just think it was pretty fun overall.

One last bit of sidetrack? The video's a bit extreme for this argument, but in general these are my basic thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQCNS4eGmuY

EDIT: To your point Sy, those who promote the idea that America is a Christian nation to take away gay rights are almost always the ones who need to hear "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays," because they can't stand the fact that they are not the only denomination that inhabit the country. And to your earlier point you'll have a Merry Christmas with your friends and family, people who know you well and thus are aware of which holiday you choose to celebrate. The whole idea of Happy Holidays is to be used for strangers so as not to presume that they celebrate the same holiday that you do, you know, because in modern countries there's a lot of cultural diversity.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Finished the event earlier, was quite fun!

And I quite like the tinsel snake, it's adorable!

@Lord_Paul, yeah there were people complaining about the clicking distance of Nex. One example was that it was harder for blessing graves or something such as that.

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

attackofthenormalsizedsnowmages.png

This would be more threatening if they actually fought back.

all they dropped were snowballs and coal

Lmao coal

I got some very good screenshots during this event in fullscreen thanks to FRAPS, but they're fullscreen... AND .bmp... So I dunno how to share them. :(

Quyneax, I think they got so far off topic above that you forgot what topic this was lol

2dgucz6.png

you could just use an editor to reduce/crop the image and resave it in a format that wasn't invented in the nineties

also, i've decided that if people don't wish to celebrate the holidays, i just say "hi" cause it's like any other day

or more likely, NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR PRESENCE

it's not rocket science!

8f14270694.jpg