Tip.It Times - 1st January 2012

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

EDITORIAL PANEL DISCUSSION THREAD:

This thread is for discussing and debating the week's articles. If you would like to comment on the overall structure or direction of the Editorial Panel, please use the discussion topic in the Website Discussion forum.

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding The Great TIF Survey: I was honestly expecting the average age range to be much older. I wish there was a way to measure maturity, because TIF posters must be mature beyond their age from what I've seen the years I've been posting.

Very well directed article, Bly. Some of your points I couldn't have expressed better.

April appears to be my favorite month for updates ;)

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

It was interesting to see the survey. I too, would've thought that tip.iters would be older on average :P

Not quite sure how I feel about the second article...I guess it's for fun, and you got me grinning a few times...but I don't know, the way it is setup, as if it was the truth is kinda weird for me. But that's probably just some personal issues, idk.

The article on efficiency was very interesting and well writte. I can totally relate to the feeling of fun you get out of figuring out how the game works. I'm not an efficienado myself, but for me it's penguins :P I've learned a lot about how NPCs move and stuff like that in my years of playing the game and it really is quite fascinating :P

An epic year ip ahead, these new Harpies should be fun. :thumbsup:

(Survey was interesting too, I'm 15 with 9 years of playing RuneScape, slightly out of the average :lol: )

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I didn't expect the survey, or its results - I didn't realize that the average person here had played 'Scape for an average of six years.

Explains a lot of what's going on (in terms of morale) rather neatly, if I do say so myself...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

First and foremost...

Phat's off to the Tip.it Times staff. I really didn't expect issues to be released over the holiday period, thank you all. :thumbsup:

Hamataro article -

I was one of the participants. Or at least I filled in a survey. I also was surprised by the results. For one thing, I expected the average age to be lower than it appeared. Using the data for folks that posted in November seems reasonable, but maybe if the post count was upped it would have changed the result. Just look at my joining date and number of posts! I'm a long time lurker on the forums, but rarely feel the need to add a comment, often because "yeah, me too" or "I think the same" seems pointless. However, I think that the criteria seems sound (I'm not a statiisticion, so feel free to quibble) but I do wonder if the criteria was applied to, say around a major update like bot nuke day for instance, when the forums seemed busy prior and post the update, we might get a very different demographic resulting. Then again, my expectations are based on my in game experience, not my forum experience.

Monkeychee -

If only! More of this kind of article, and we will get a mention in the 'Computer game urban myth' dictionary! I loved it. Let's hope Jagex is watching. (As an aside, I've often thought that if Jagex placed some random event/item drop/conversation without making the event/item/drop/conversation public knowledge, it would be a VERY intriguing aspect of the game)

Jaffy1 -

I too have a whole world of D&D from RS, y'no, those irritating things like work and family, lol. So I also want to train efficiently. I used to spend hours working out drop rates, best places to smith, etc, but ended up spending less time playing that working out the best way to play! Kudos to the 'effiacienados' that take the time out and publish their findings, they are the unsung heros of any fansite. But it can become obsessive. After all, I'm not taking time out between the clicks to chat to anyone, or even glance at the DVD I might have put on. Which misses the point of the game for me. I really don't mind if I plan to run laws for an hour, but spend half of it directing someone with a clue. After all, when I first started RS, so many people answered my noob questions, I'd be doing them a disservice if I didn't answer some myself (to misquote a fave book of mine)

All in all, a great start to the Times 2012.

Cultjunky.png

First and foremost...

Phat's off to the Tip.it Times staff. I really didn't expect issues to be released over the holiday period, thank you all. :thumbsup:

Hamataro article -

I was one of the participants. Or at least I filled in a survey. I also was surprised by the results. For one thing, I expected the average age to be lower than it appeared. Using the data for folks that posted in November seems reasonable, but maybe if the post count was upped it would have changed the result. Just look at my joining date and number of posts! I'm a long time lurker on the forums, but rarely feel the need to add a comment, often because "yeah, me too" or "I think the same" seems pointless. However, I think that the criteria seems sound (I'm not a statiisticion, so feel free to quibble) but I do wonder if the criteria was applied to, say around a major update like bot nuke day for instance, when the forums seemed busy prior and post the update, we might get a very different demographic resulting. Then again, my expectations are based on my in game experience, not my forum experience.

Monkeychee -

If only! More of this kind of article, and we will get a mention in the 'Computer game urban myth' dictionary! I loved it. Let's hope Jagex is watching. (As an aside, I've often thought that if Jagex placed some random event/item drop/conversation without making the event/item/drop/conversation public knowledge, it would be a VERY intriguing aspect of the game)

Jaffy1 -

I too have a whole world of D&D from RS, y'no, those irritating things like work and family, lol. So I also want to train efficiently. I used to spend hours working out drop rates, best places to smith, etc, but ended up spending less time playing that working out the best way to play! Kudos to the 'effiacienados' that take the time out and publish their findings, they are the unsung heros of any fansite. But it can become obsessive. After all, I'm not taking time out between the clicks to chat to anyone, or even glance at the DVD I might have put on. Which misses the point of the game for me. I really don't mind if I plan to run laws for an hour, but spend half of it directing someone with a clue. After all, when I first started RS, so many people answered my noob questions, I'd be doing them a disservice if I didn't answer some myself (to misquote a fave book of mine)

All in all, a great start to the Times 2012.

Thanks for the kind words, however Alg wrote the second article, I just edited :razz: (Same goes for the 3rd, Blyaunte was the author). Glad you enjoyed them though!

r4x9.png

260pifq.jpg
gikxIau.png

Doh! <3:

I'm sure the editing was AWSOME, but I did really mean the authors.

In real life, I'm not blond, but I have this inner blond pixie... if only there was a support group.

It is a group effort on the EP, and I doubt that anyone blames you for a little slip up.

Doh! <3:

I'm sure the editing was AWSOME, but I did really mean the authors.

In real life, I'm not blond, but I have this inner blond pixie... if only there was a support group.

It is a group effort on the EP, and I doubt that anyone blames you for a little slip up.

Very true, just wanted to clear it up :razz:

r4x9.png

260pifq.jpg
gikxIau.png

First and foremost...

As previously pointed out, I merely edited Blyaunte's article, but thank you so much for the kind words. I think it's safe to say we all appreciate it greatly. :)

I really don't mind if I plan to run laws for an hour, but spend half of it directing someone with a clue. After all, when I first started RS, so many people answered my noob questions, I'd be doing them a disservice if I didn't answer some myself (to misquote a fave book of mine)

I can totally relate to that. :D

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

All very interesting stuff, though I'd have to say its the survey that really caught my eye. I had totally forgotten that was going on (I was one of the respondents).

There are 3 more sets of graphs I would love to see if possible. I would like to see the age, education, and opinion of Jagex graphs again, but this time split them up by gender. I would be very interested to see how they compare to each other.

And I had to laugh at the other category in North America. I am guessing that 3% is either from Mexico, or people from Quebec being funny. Since you called it other and not Mexico, I have to wonder if it was a combination of the two? I'd love to know what the breakdown for that 3% was too.

The teasers were interesting, though I have to admit I am very tentative about the idea of a Graphics month. I am envinsioning even higher computer loads, and an interactive content free month. Then again, I have a lot of agility (and farming apparently :evil: ) training to do, so no new distractions could be good for me.

Also, a good article by Bly. It is nice to see another perspective on the issue, and it might reduce the arguing surrounding the issue too, which would be a relief for everyone I'm sure.

Is the bts real?

Based on the tags for the article, I do not believe so.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Just so there's no confusion, Behind the Scenes 2012 is humorous fiction. Alg thought we should start the year off with a smile. :)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

All very interesting stuff, though I'd have to say its the survey that really caught my eye. I had totally forgotten that was going on (I was one of the respondents).

There are 3 more sets of graphs I would love to see if possible. I would like to see the age, education, and opinion of Jagex graphs again, but this time split them up by gender. I would be very interested to see how they compare to each other.

And I had to laugh at the other category in North America. I am guessing that 3% is either from Mexico, or people from Quebec being funny. Since you called it other and not Mexico, I have to wonder if it was a combination of the two? I'd love to know what the breakdown for that 3% was too.

For North America, there was 1 Costa Rican and 1 Mexican. I grouped those from Quebec into Canada.

[spoiler=Graphs]

z3yAn.png

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I really enjoyed Blyaunte's "Understanding Efficiency", it was refreshing to have a different perspective that included efficiency for the sake of having more time for fun things. While I personally would choose a slower method of training where I could do other things like watch a movie at the same time, when a player asks for help they don't need an opinion on how fun something is.

If I ever need advice on how to have fun, then I am playing the wrong game.

This is what really hits the point home, help and advice needs to be a place where the best methods are shared, separate from your personal opinion on what is most enjoyable. Fun is a variable depending on the player, statistics and game knowledge is fact that should be the basis for offering advice.

For North America, there was 1 Costa Rican and 1 Mexican. I grouped those from Quebec into Canada.

[spoiler=Graphs]

z3yAn.png

Thanks for those graphs. It amazed me that the average age of males and females has a 10 year difference, which explains the education levels. The survey article was by far my favorite. The fake bts, I know so people would find it funny, but not me. I prefer real information so i skimmed it. The number cruncher article was good. It put a new opinion on a subject that i thought was way over done.

Addict_Kevan.png[/url]

Aww, it was made up. Ah well.

And thanks for the extra graphs. My guess is that the difference in education and and opinion are probably more related to age than to gender (especially the education). I find that getting older changes your world view a bit, especially from say 18-19 on (not sure where it ends, since I am in the middle of that changing view).

And thanks for the explanation on the other category.

Good work :thumbsup: